Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabelas pro has lost there mind

Moderator Emeritus

On another board I visit someone talked of walking into Cabelas last week and buying a 1955 era Model 24 S&W for $650 in wonderful shape. Basically a $1200 + gun in average shape. Safe to say they don't always have a clue.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

This hurts my heart. I've got some shirts, boots with Cabela's label on them that I've had for 15-20 yrs that are top quality. Not anymore I guess.

Boolit Mold
    I remember reading my Grandpa Jim’s Cabela’s catalogs in the 1970s. Placed my first order in 1982.

Was at the grand opening of the first Cabela’s store in MN, and went there about monthly, for many years.

I used to frequent the Cabela’s “Bargain Cave,” and found wonderful deals on all kinds of items. Had to know what you were buying. Some returns that should have just been pitched would be 10% off, while next item would be LNIB, and 40% off. Go figure!

The Owatonna, MN Bargain Cave always had a nice selection of traditional muzzleloaders… but I was complacent, because they “always” had them. About the time I decided to act, the supply dried up.

I realize that me buying heavily discounted goods in the Bargain Cave isn’t going to keep the lights on in their ludicrous over the top retail stores, but the Bargain Cave was the bait that would get me in the store regularly. “Just to see” what they had, you understand... I would then typically find lots of other stuff I “needed” while I was there…

Things went downhill in stages, for me:
    -Cabela’s credit card stopped giving “$150 off $500” coupons, which were once routine
    -Bargain Cave went to only new items, no returns or damaged goods… and took good prices with them
    -Bargain Cave was eliminated altogether
    -after BPS buyout, Big & Tall clothing selection went WAY down… which I predicted (BPS B&T sucks)

Was just in Cabela’s last week, first time in a couple of years. Two flies purchased, for a total of $0.54 (incl. sales tax!). Left disappointed in nearly every department that I visited. The good news: if you’re looking for cheesy Chinese made knick-knacks, or crappy “outdoorsy” decor, they’ve got you covered!

It was good here for about 20 years… and I’m sad to see the decline.

I’ll go back, in another couple of years, to see if anything has changed.

I doubt it will have improved.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    When I go to all the sporting goods stores in town, I just skip Cabela's.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Nothing enticing me to Cabella's these days. NO Savage 12FV's on special sales. NO Powders in Store. NO Primers in store for more than 20 months.

In other words NO - NO - NO.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Usually someone will give a Cabela's gift card to me at Christmas. I asked my wife to tell anyone that asks to get Academy gift cards instead. Like others have said, they used to be a neat place to go and buy things. Now they are just a neat place to go to look at live fish and stuffed animals. This year I just went online and got bullets for the gift card; much better than trekking to the FW/Alliance store.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I'm glad sportsman's didn't get ruined by bass pro like cabalas did.

I've got some ancient Trebark camo from Cabelas. And a back pack. Pretty durn nice stuff way back then. But I hear ya on the walmart'ness of them now.

Boolit Master

I haven't bought from them in years.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Bub
    Exactly. I started buying from Cabela's in 1973 after I ordered a pair of their catalogs. One hunting, the other fishing. I was a regular customer for the next 30 years or so. Then the gear went hi tech trash. They started changing in the 90's alongside Eddie Bauer and LL Bean. Gander Mountain was an all time favorite. They hung in there to the bitter end. I figure I've got all the gear I need for whatever years I got left, so, I cut them all loose. Walmart? Haven't set foot in one for about 30 years. I do my shopping at locally owned mom and pop stores.Pay a couple extra bucks, but to me, it's worth it.

Boolit Grand Master

I was just there and bought 4 of these on sale for about $17 each https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redh...-shirt-for-men. Pretty nice, the lighter weight blend for summer one I bought 1 of but I like the heavier cotton ones. Used my Speedway points for a gift card and got them for free. Still have a few hundred dollars in points and am dickering between a pair of boots or a Ruger Wrangler.

The sad thing was the used gun cave. Last time I was there it was full and interesting. This time it was almost empty. I bet there were not 10 guns in the entire thing.
    Last edited by jonp; 03-05-2022 at 05:28 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Is Midway in the same boat. Have not ordered from them or Cabelas in years. We have a store called Sportsman's Wearhouse in Greenwood, Indiana that has beat both for most things and it is local. No shipping charges.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    Is Midway in the same boat. Have not ordered from them or Cabelas in years. We have a store called Sportsman's Wearhouse in Greenwood, Indiana that has beat both for most things and it is local. No shipping charges.
    Sportsman's Warehouse is not local...

https://stores.sportsmans.com/sportsmans-warehouse/us

They have 126 stores in 27 states. They were my favorite store with the nearest one 45 miles from me.

They were supposedly bought out by Bass Pro Shops in December of 2020, which is what I thought explained the lack of supplies and increased prices.

However, I went online to verify and happily discovered that the acquisition fell through.

https://angling-international.com/20...ops-collapses/

But, I did just drive 3100 miles and stopped in many local gun shops and several Sportsman Warehouse stores. Not a single SW had any primers, powder, or the bullets I was looking for.

However, many smaller shops had primers, albeit at horrible prices...

Attachment 297176
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Man
    Funny as we were just talking about this at work last week, to a man all us older guys (looks like I'm now in that group too) talked about how Cabelas used to be just a slightly lower Abercrombie & Fitch back in the day, whereas now they are just an outdoorsey walmart with similar quality. Topic got brought up because we got cabelas gift cards for christmas, and there was nothing there anyone really wanted to buy. I do have to say the only department that had reasonable stuff was the cooking and grilling department so I got a $25 stainless deep fryer strainer ladle, but when was the last time you got a gift card for an outdoor store where you had to spend 45 minutes finding something you wouldn't regret purchasing with a christmas gift card?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Funny as we were just talking about this at work last week, to a man all us older guys (looks like I'm now in that group too) talked about how Cabelas used to be just a slightly lower Abercrombie & Fitch back in the day, whereas now they are just an outdoorsey walmart with similar quality. Topic got brought up because we got cabelas gift cards for christmas, and there was nothing there anyone really wanted to buy. I do have to say the only department that had reasonable stuff was the cooking and grilling department so I got a $25 stainless deep fryer strainer ladle, but when was the last time you got a gift card for an outdoor store where you had to spend 45 minutes finding something you wouldn't regret purchasing with a christmas gift card?
    We bought a sausage maker and a vacum packer. Both seem to be holding up fine but they are not any better than you could get elsewhere.

They seem to have gone from an outdoors store to a Volvo driving soccer mom and dad with that $80,000 3/4 ton diesel pickup that will never have anything in the bed but still both like to dress as if they are on the way to a Yukon sheep hunt or a Mt Everest approach climb
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    They no longer exist to me.

Haven't been a Cabella or Bass Pro or Sportsmans Warehouse (all now the same owner) in over 5 years. Stupid prices (checked on-line) and no stock. I have friends that still go there for ammo (they haven't discovered hand re-loading yet!) and they are even ticked off at the lack of stuff and the prices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    They no longer exist to me.

Haven't been a Cabella or Bass Pro or Sportsmans Warehouse (all now the same owner) in over 5 years.
    They were supposedly bought out by Bass Pro Shops in December of 2020, which is what I thought explained the lack of supplies and increased prices.

However, I went online to verify and happily discovered that the acquisition fell through.

https://angling-international.com/20...ops-collapses/
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I'm not paying 30 bucks for a tee shirt!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I called yesterday and asked them if they still price matched. I found a magpul MOE rifle stock for $52 plus $5.95 to ship on armsplus I believe the place was called. The sales operator told me not for that particular store but gave me a $10 one time promo code off the $69.99 price. They also had free shipping and i applied my $7 I had banked in club points so I paid $55 shipped. They never have any powder or primers in stock at the store closest to me since Bass Pro bought them out. They went down hill on the buy out imo. I’ve been a credit card member for 22 years with Cabelas. Over the years I have gotten a 64 gun safe, a POF P415, and tons of other rifles and pistols for free using their card…and I haven’t paid one cent of interest as I pay the card balance completely off every month. I’m not a big fan of their double retail prices but at least up until the pandemic they were the only place close to me that would always have what I wanted in stock.

Boolit Master

Been in Cabelas 2-3 times since Bass Pro took over and haven't bought a thing. That and they started stocking the BP line of clothing too that is a wear once, wash, shrink and throw away.