Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classy SMLE Mannlicher conversion.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Classy SMLE Mannlicher conversion.

I picked this up today (well, I bought it, I will get it in a few weeks when the paperwork comes through and I manage to drive the 180 miles to the gunshop!).

I was contemplating sporterizing a Mauser ( I have owned a lot, but never done one myself). I was lookign at the rack with all of the bubber'ed milsup rifles and I saw this one with the funny bolt. Thinking it might be an old one, I got the owner to pass it down. It is a really well done conversion in 303/25. It has an early 3-9 scope with a post and crosshair reticle.

I picked it up for $300, which is a bit to pay for a sporter in 303/25, but it is a lovely rifle. The barrel is in good condition. The owner is checking to see if the old guy that sold it has any dies, etc.

I will try it in the 303/25 and see how it goes. I also have a near new No4 Bbl which would go nicely as a cast boolit hunting rifle with an Epps chamber. If I do this conversion, I won't be loading it up, just improving brass performance. Easily done while the Barrel is off the rifle and being fitted.

More pics: http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ermick/Rifles/

The shop a few hundred yards down the road had a neat Steyer 8x56 Straight Pull for $400. It had several hundred rounds, all in original packaging and all in stripper clips! I rifle at a time! Although the stripper clips are probably worth $5-10 each.

Virtally all of the dings on the stock seem to be on the exterior varnish only (better looked after tham my rifles, lol.)
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Looks like the scope has taken a hard lick at one time, you'll probably have to replace it.

The tube is badly bulged and bent just ahead of the front ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is a pretty rifle!!!!! For $300, I'd have jumped on it.

Nice rig.

Please tell me that is not a CLLE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Dog Jack View Post
    Please tell me that is not a CLLE!
    Looks more like an SMLE action body with a LE bolt or cocking piece substituted.

Being its in .25 its unlikely that the rifle the action or bolt came from was in restorable condition when converted.

No it is a 1942 Lithgow. I didn't notice the scope, I didn't actually pay much attention to it.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Whats a CLLE?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Whats a CLLE?
    Clip Loading Lee Enfield.converted from long Lee Enfields to clip loading,very desirable

is the clle the same action as the RIC short lee?

Boolit Grand Master
    Classy is right!

I LIKE THAT!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    No it is a 1942 Lithgow. I didn't notice the scope, I didn't actually pay much attention to it.

The cocking piece is from a much earlier action type, either Lee Metford or the LE.
    It has a safety mounted on the cocking piece. Not sure if these will fit an SMLE bolt or not or if the entire bolt is from the earlier rifle.
    If the SMLE receiver mounted safety is intact you would have two manual safeties on this rifle.

That scope is obviously buggered badly.
    You might try to get part of your purchase price back on this, if the seller did not inform you that the scope is damaged beyond economical repair, which should have been obvious.

While it may be possible to straighten out the bent tube, theres no telling how much damage was done to the internals. If repaired the scope may never be trustworthy.

The rifle came from an old guy who is too old to shoot anymore. The guy in the shop mentioned that he hasn't shot for many years. He frequents the shotgun club up there and usually drops in for a coffee and a yarn at the end of the shooting on Saturdays.

If he has any dies, etc I might try and get them for gratis, but I will let the old guy alone about the scope. It is a shame, as I am fond of post and crosshairs.

I picked up a CLLE for my mate recently. It had also been converted to 303/25. It had been sporterised and the front and rear volley sights were intact and all numbers matched. The clip guide was still on the bolt knob, along with the little flip up part on the magazine. My mate restores military rifles so I passed it onto him for a make over. It cost $150!!!!!

Boolit Master
    You might look up some craftsman who repairs older scopes. Most of them only work on the really rare or expensive types. If you find one he may even have a donor scope he can strip to repair this one.

I've done some scope sight and telescope repairs and I've repaired heavily dented bird gun barrels and metal powder flasks, but never tried fixing a scope tube that badly bent.
    If I were familar with this particular model I might give it a shot, but I doubt I could do much with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    You might look up some craftsman who repairs older scopes. Most of them only work on the really rare or expensive types. If you find one he may even have a donor scope he can strip to repair this one.

I've done some scope sight and telescope repairs and I've repaired heavily dented bird gun barrels and metal powder flasks, but never tried fixing a scope tube that badly bent.
    If I were familar with this particular model I might give it a shot, but I doubt I could do much with it.
    There was a guy who fixed scopes in Sydney, Fred Horton. He is retired now. He rebuilt a damaged Pecar for me once. Fielder INstruments also repair scopes (or used to ). I don't recognise the brand, so it is probably not worth putting much money into it, especially with the cheap scopes around now.

The Aussie Army have German Leopard Tanks. Their epi-scopes were difficult to repair and they ended up contracting the work out to old Fred after not being satisfied with the German company. Old Fred did pretty impressive work and he ended up doing the repairs for the German Army as well.

When I get the gun home, I will check the scope out properly.

Boolit Master
    Very nice looking rifle. Love those full length stocks. I ordered a cocking piece (thumb piece?) for a No1 from Numrich. The one they sent me looks kinda like yours, but no safety on it. Never seen one like it before, usually they're squared off. It did fit though and works fine. Congratulations on your new baby, have fun. That .25 might just be the ticket for cbs on wallabies and baby grabbin' dingoes.

I like the 25. I only have one with a long barrel.

I have several rifles with that bolt configuration. It carries the safety which works quite well and doesn't get bumped off too easily and can never get bumped on. Those bolts had an attached dust cover. So did the Lee Speed but that did not have the safety in the rear.

That scope might be damaged but not necessarily ruined. I had a scope with the rear bit bent like that. The threads on the power adjust had jumped. It was fine apart from being locked at one power and looked funny. One day I applied brute force and un-jumped that thread. Now it works perfectly. That bend had no effect on the sighting. Yours might be the same and be no worse than look funny.

What's a RIC short lee?
    Last edited by 303Guy; 03-24-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I bought an ols Weaver (2-7 I think), it lost zero when the powers were changed. I bought it for chump change and was going to get Fred Horton to fix it. He said it wasn't worth looking at because although Weaver made much noise about the steel bodies, the internals were plastic and plastic in the 60s and 70s wasn't anywhere near as good as plastics are nowadays. He said he had tried several times to make brass replacement internals without succcess. He went on to say whatever was wrong with it and said to pick a power, zero it on that and leave it there. I did and it worked fine. When I sold the rifle, I explained it iver and over to the new owner who obviously wasn't listening. A few days later he did nothing but complain about the scope! I couldn't believe it. He left the rifle unattended (well before registration, etc). I put the money he had paid on the bench and took the rifle home.

This might work out the same. I wouldn't trust any scope like that on an expensive hunt however. That my friends is Leupold territory.

I have a couple of 25Cal moulds, both a bit light for the 303/25, more aimed at the 25/20. It might end up being a 25/20 level performer with TrailBoss.

In Remembrance

VERY NICE! I have to guess that a walnut stock and fore end as nicely figured as this and then checkered in a beautiful pattern cost easily the $300 you are paying. I don`t want to guess the cost for inletting that MS long forend. Shame about the scope, I sort of favor the post/crosshairs myself too.Robert

I LIKE IT ! IMHO, it's MUCH better done than the run-of-the-mill sporter project - professionally-done, even, considering the nice checkering job, etc.

Looking at your 1st pic, the full side profile, one can see that the scope's objective bell is bent/tilted downward towards the barrel, indicating that either the dropped rifle landed on the scope or something HEAVY was dropped onto the scope.

I'd just replace the scope & be done with it - enjoying that fine old gun.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride