PDA

View Full Version : simple Hi-Tek coating

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

dansedgli
07-12-2018, 11:00 PM
Last night in my new trubor I shot my 122 flat points off hand at 20m and got better groups than the tigersharks off a rest.

My other gun shoots the TS's better and my shadow 2 loves them too. If I can get similar accuracy out of my 122's for those guns I'll be one happy boy.

CamoWhamo
07-13-2018, 12:56 AM
Hi All,

Is it safe to return coated reject bullets back to the melting pot?

Grmps
07-13-2018, 02:30 AM
I wouldn't recommend returning them to the casting pot, but there is no problem re-smelting them

Tazza
07-13-2018, 04:19 AM
In a pot means you get crud in there but can scoop it off. In a smelting pot is far easier to clean up.

Trevor - i totally agree, they look nice but not worth the extra money.

Gremlin460
07-13-2018, 09:07 PM
Hi All,

Is it safe to return coated reject bullets back to the melting pot?

Yes it is, no problems at all with that.

glockfan
07-13-2018, 10:42 PM
all i know is i pitch hi tek'ed culls in the pot all the time without problems...the color-product float on top of the melt. business as usual.

igolfat8
07-14-2018, 09:01 PM
What is you favorite container to coat boolits in? I’ve been using a square plastic container thinking the square sides allow the boolits to really get agitated well. Now I am questioning that theory thinking perhaps that it’s too much agitation which might be causing a slightly rougher surface texture of paint. I’ve not used a smooth sided bowl, like a Coolwhip container.

2nd question, are you dumping wet coated boolits onto a baking screen before the sound changes and the coating is almost dry?

glockfan
07-14-2018, 11:15 PM
What is you favorite container to coat boolits in? I’ve been using a square plastic container thinking the square sides allow the boolits to really get agitated well. Now I am questioning that theory thinking perhaps that it’s too much agitation which might be causing a slightly rougher surface texture of paint. I’ve not used a smooth sided bowl, like a Coolwhip container.

2nd question, are you dumping wet coated boolits onto a baking screen before the sound changes and the coating is almost dry?

i'm using a 5 gallon bucket with 8 pounds of boolits ,and swirl only for 7 to 10 seconds ; i stop well before the sound becomes muffled. the trick is to swirl till you feel all the boolits got some product on them .then dump em on the screen tray ; YOU MUST dump them still wet. if the acetone has flashed in whole,then you know the finish will be rough,and if ever you went too far, that's when the product won't bond correctly.

like some said earlier in this thread,and as i learned myself,you shouldn't overthink the process. you're better served with a higher acetone ratio,and it's better to swirl the boolits and product just enough so most boolits got in contact with the juice.

the other factor is, you don't want to proceed to the baking part if the boolits are still sticky.they must be drydrydry.use a fan for 10 to 15 minutes,and you should be good to go.i'm putting the tray with the fan over'em,and then i put the tray on top of the oven a little to make sure the product is dry.

then the baking process is the easy part.

Stephen Cohen
07-15-2018, 02:22 AM
i'm using a 5 gallon bucket with 8 pounds of boolits ,and swirl only for 7 to 10 seconds ; i stop well before the sound becomes muffled. the trick is to swirl till you feel all the boolits got some product on them .then dump em on the screen tray ; YOU MUST dump them still wet. if the acetone has flashed in whole,then you know the finish will be rough,and if ever you went too far, that's when the product won't bond correctly.

like some said earlier in this thread,and as i learned myself,you shouldn't overthink the process. you're better served with a higher acetone ratio,and it's better to swirl the boolits and product just enough so most boolits got in contact with the juice.

the other factor is, you don't want to proceed to the baking part if the boolits are still sticky.they must be drydrydry.use a fan for 10 to 15 minutes,and you should be good to go.i'm putting the tray with the fan over'em,and then i put the tray on top of the oven a little to make sure the product is dry.

+1 on what glockfan said. Regards Stephen

HI-TEK
07-15-2018, 10:15 AM

glockfan
Very well said, I could not do it better.
It is easy, don't over think things. If simple things are done, there is no problems.
Coating quickly is best. Don't tumble coat until it becomes sticky. If after coating and dumping you have extra coating in your bucket, you used too much mixture. Simply use less next time.
Dry coating well before baking, especially first coat . That is it. Once you get right results, then simply continue.

slide
07-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Joe, sent you a pm

Avenger442
07-15-2018, 10:05 PM
It has got to be simple. I've been doing it.

Ditto on a little extra acetone doesn't hurt.

Joe
Still trying to dissolve the bigger chunks of the completely dried coating. You were right. I should have ground it up first before adding acetone.

glockfan
07-15-2018, 11:43 PM
It has got to be simple. I've been doing it.

Ditto on a little extra acetone doesn't hurt.

Joe
Still trying to dissolve the bigger chunks of the completely dried coating. You were right. I should have ground it up first before adding acetone.

avenger.what i do is i dump 20 ml of acetone in my bucket to disolve the dry'ed product left from the last session .then i simply dump my batch of boolit and add the normal amount of product without taking into account the 20ml of acetone i've droped for the dissolution of the dry product left. it works like normally.

i'm so happy with hi tek that i know i will never bother with any other method. i even tried 3 layer of hi tek,and although it's absolutely NOT NEEDED AT ALL,i like the armor i'm getting for major 40 S&W loads......i do it because hi tek isn't time consuming at all,and it is so easy to work...much more than PC in my opinion.

hi tek is the best invention since sliced bread seriously LOL!!

Tazza
07-16-2018, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=hi tek is the best invention since sliced bread seriously LOL!![/QUOTE]

I see a sponsorship deal in your future :)

glockfan
07-16-2018, 12:17 AM
Lol!!!

Ausglock
07-16-2018, 04:12 AM
Joe has 16 new colours on the way to me for testing...
Watch this space...

Petander
07-16-2018, 05:01 AM

Now that I learned how to clean my contaminated bullets with HCL,getting excellent surface for Hi-Tek... I had to get a Marlin to use these bullets. :)

Any others here doing 45-70 Hi-Tek?

I have a long nice history with cast & 1895 but haven't had a Marlin for some years.

HI-TEK
07-16-2018, 07:25 AM
Joe has 16 new colours on the way to me for testing...
Watch this space...

Well, I was asked by many for all sorts of different colours, Grey, Pink, different Reds, overlay masking colour, and others.
After starting with making up various coloured brews, I found myself with so many new colours.

Ausglock must be rubbing his hands with delight.
If only some of these work the way they look, it will be a very pleasing result.

At one stage, I was contemplating making a coating or coatings, that could be used to clean up barrels from various deposits by simply shooting a few "cleaning projectiles", that is coated with modified Hi-Tek coatings.
It was envisaged, that this was a way to reduce the amount of chemical cleaners used to clean out barrels, and reduce or eliminate electrolytic corrosion when trying to remove deposited Copper fouling with liquid cleaners.
My theory is, that shooting of such coated projectiles, would in fact act to clean evenly all along the barrel, there also would be a reduction of erosion/corrosion in specific areas in the barrel as being done with chemical cleaners, and bore would be even and clean at full length..

It is a thought that goes back many years, but I never went further with the idea to make a product.

Gremlin460
07-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Give me a yell when you have finished the Australian Flag coating Joe. Thanks Sir. Last time we talked you was having trouble with the southern cross placement.
Also I found if I tumble coated too long I had more stars on one than the other.

glockfan
07-16-2018, 08:19 AM
any color involving metal flakes-broken glass would be a huge hype i guess.

also,i would be all over something like this.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Cornish_National_Tartan.png

HI-TEK
07-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Give me a yell when you have finished the Australian Flag coating Joe. Thanks Sir. Last time we talked you was having trouble with the southern cross placement.
Also I found if I tumble coated too long I had more stars on one than the other.

Thanks Grem
I found the stars to be not vey cooperative, and they went to where they wanted. I gave up at the end as they were in control not I....

HI-TEK
07-16-2018, 08:35 AM
any color involving metal flakes-broken glass would be a huge hype i guess.

also,i would be all over something like this.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Cornish_National_Tartan.png

Your wish is my command.
Funny you should bring this up now, as I am trying to produce a Cameo finish with several coloured options.

glockfan
07-16-2018, 09:10 AM
Your wish is my command.
Funny you should bring this up now, as I am trying to produce a Cameo finish with several coloured options.

i remember the days where many cars were sporting custom metal flakes paint jobs. i think it's beautyfull,and for sure boolits colored with metal flakes inserted in would be quite something different. i bet people would be all over it. now,i'm pretty sure this would add greatly to the production costs,and i don't even know if incorporating metal flakes to your hi tek fabrication process is feasable .

Elkins45
07-16-2018, 11:38 AM
Are there any differences in shooting performance between the colors? I’m referring to the powder version. I’m using bronze now and wonder if I would see any difference in performance if I switched to a different color?

Avenger442
07-16-2018, 11:56 AM

I have been using Hi Tek in this Marlin 1895CB with the intent of using it to hunt. I am still working on a load I'm happy with. It's a good hunting gun but not a target rifle yet.

Ausglock
07-16-2018, 05:13 PM
Are there any differences in shooting performance between the colors? I’m referring to the powder version. I’m using bronze now and wonder if I would see any difference in performance if I switched to a different color?

Not really. The metallics shoot the same. Bronze, Red copper, K Green etc etc..
The non metallics just don't look as good (in my opinion) but perform the same.

Grmps
07-16-2018, 07:29 PM
I thought Joe said the metallics had a better heat resistance and were better suited for higher velocities.

HI-TEK
07-16-2018, 08:18 PM
I thought Joe said the metallics had a better heat resistance and were better suited for higher velocities.

Grmps, you are correct.
The materials used for making coatings all reflect heat and tolerate a great deal of pressure.
The metallic modification with these coatings so far has appeared to provide slightly better heat reflecting ability. So it is theorised, that because the short duration of cast inside bore, any extra heat generated by high velocity applications, using the extra additives in the coatings should cope with an increased heat/load..

Ausglock
07-16-2018, 09:40 PM

Yeah. Forgot about that.

Petander
07-17-2018, 03:21 AM
At one stage, I was contemplating making a coating or coatings, that could be used to clean up barrels from various deposits by simply shooting a few "cleaning projectiles", that is coated with modified Hi-Tek coatings.

Very interesting.

Abrasive mixed in...? I just cleaned an old (nice) Beretta S57E 20 gauge shotgun for three days. Made me think of something similar. And I have a new Marlin to be lapped...

HI-TEK
07-17-2018, 03:35 AM
Very interesting.

Abrasive mixed in...? I just cleaned an old (nice) Beretta S57E 20 gauge shotgun for three days. Made me think of something similar. And I have a new Marlin to be lapped...

I had in mind several grades with various materials, grades ranging from removal of heavy deposits, to a very fine, if it can be called, a lapping/polishing finish .

I was thinking that you would only need to fire a few of each, and it is all over. That could be done on outdoor range or inside range.

HI-TEK
07-17-2018, 08:02 AM

Grmps
This video was done about 4 years ago. This shows heat reflecting and heat resistance of the Hi-Tek coatings.
As I said, that due to limited time of coated alloy being inside barrel, despite extreme heat, coating should withstand the conditions. Please keep in mind, as a comparison, just how long the video shows the cast being heated with a flame torch .
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6xfaIp4RVEjbLTV4m25gzQ

HI-TEK
07-17-2018, 09:00 AM
To moderators
Can you please advise, why my posts remain at 1466 despite my posting more matters over a number of days?
Thank you

Petander
07-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Success right away,I tried my old size without slugging the barrel. And it is factory rough.

I hit a two gallon can 4/5 times at 75 meters. 460 grain Applegate 1600 fps ,no gc, no lube, triple Hi-Tek coated. The third dry patch was clean. No lead. Only powder residue, VV N130.

To be continued!

Avenger442
07-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Petander
Is that the Marlin 1895 45-70 18.5 inch in stainless? I haven't seen it in stainless.

Tazza
07-17-2018, 04:32 PM
Hi-Tek - i can see your post count as being 1,467 now.

HI-TEK
07-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Hi-Tek - i can see your post count as being 1,467 now.

Yes Tazza, I can also see that. But question is, why previous blogs remained at 1466 with several postings prior to the 1467 post.
I thought that each post goes to next number. For unknown reason, it stayed at 1466 for a while.

Ausglock
07-17-2018, 06:19 PM
Maybe your post count doesn't increase when you are just talking Schite??? :grin:

Tazza
07-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Maybe your post count doesn't increase when you are just talking Schite??? :grin:

hehehe

Glad you said that AFTER he already sent you new test colours of Hi-Tek :)

HI-TEK
07-17-2018, 07:37 PM
hehehe

Glad you said that AFTER he already sent you new test colours of Hi-Tek :)

He does not know yet, but delivery was reversed and being returned to me.

Tazza
07-17-2018, 07:44 PM
That will teach him!

Ausglock
07-17-2018, 08:22 PM
He does not know yet, but delivery was reversed and being returned to me.

Haha... The carton is in my Ute... hahahahahahahahaha

glockfan
07-17-2018, 08:25 PM
LOL!!

[smilie=2:

Gremlin460
07-17-2018, 08:37 PM

+1 hehehehe.

Stephen Cohen
07-17-2018, 09:52 PM

God you crack me up with that one. Regards Stephen

Petander
07-18-2018, 01:27 AM
I had in mind several grades with various materials, grades ranging from removal of heavy deposits, to a very fine, if it can be called, a lapping/polishing finish .

I was thinking that you would only need to fire a few of each, and it is all over. That could be done on outdoor range or inside range.

This is very,very interesting. You were- and are -ahead of time. I like that, my guitars have curved frets,not straight.

HI-TEK
07-18-2018, 05:33 AM
Haha... The carton is in my Ute... hahahahahahahahaha

You must have used your "charm" with the postie to get your hands on the carton of samples.

glockfan
07-18-2018, 05:34 AM
This is very,very interesting. You were- and are -ahead of time. I like that, my guitars have curved frets,not straight.

............and my drums are oval.........LOL

HI-TEK
07-18-2018, 06:16 AM
How weird is this??? Now my previous posts become all the same number after each new post. It seems that when I post a new reply, instead of numbers increasing one each post, all previous ones change to same number as last post. This seems not happening with others posts.

glockfan
07-18-2018, 06:20 AM
How weird is this??? Now my previous posts become all the same number after each new post. It seems that when I post a new reply, instead of numbers increasing one each post, all previous ones change to same number as last post. This seems not happening with others posts.

this is it with most forums. seems like 2 posts done close in time in the same thread gets you this. sometimes post number isn't indexing like it should.

Petander
07-18-2018, 06:27 AM
Petander
Is that the Marlin 1895 45-70 18.5 inch in stainless? I haven't seen it in stainless.

Yes,it is 1895 SBL.

This is just great. I checked the velocity,it is 1706 fps for this Hi-Teked 466 grainer.

There is a cucumber can in the berm at 75 meters,full of holes. I can hit it all day with these bullets, now that I cleaned them boolits with HCL before coating. Hot dang great!

Petander
07-18-2018, 06:37 AM
............and my drums are oval.........LOL

Show me yours,I'll show you mine:

This is called True Temperament. A friend of mine in Sweden makes these for Big Boys like Steve Vai. I haven't used straight frets for ten years. I like to be in tune.

igolfat8
07-18-2018, 08:43 AM
He Petander, Are you familiar with Espen Lind?

HI-TEK
07-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Yes,it is 1895 SBL.

This is just great. I checked the velocity,it is 1706 fps for this Hi-Teked 466 grainer.

There is a cucumber can in the berm at 75 meters,full of holes. I can hit it all day with these bullets, now that I cleaned them boolits with HCL before coating. Hot dang great!

WOW, that is great news.
But why a Cucumber? What did this poor Cucumber do to you to get holed like that????

glockfan
07-18-2018, 10:10 PM
Show me yours,I'll show you mine:

This is called True Temperament. A friend of mine in Sweden makes these for Big Boys like Steve Vai. I haven't used straight frets for ten years. I like to be in tune.

wow.that is stunning,while i figure that, except the unique design , the frets displays more or less the same spacing, then keeps the same note's value
as the ''regular''' version ??

i thought vai was playing exclusively ibanez......!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42766&stc=1&d=1312946707

seriously,mine.

Stephen Cohen
07-18-2018, 10:37 PM

Don't worry Joe, as we great lovers know, it is not the overall number that counts but the effort put into improving ones self each time that does.:grin: Regards Stephen

Petander
07-19-2018, 05:19 AM
WOW, that is great news.
But why a Cucumber? What did this poor Cucumber do to you to get holed like that????

It was all green so it must have been an alien cucumber.

Petander
07-19-2018, 05:30 AM
i thought vai was playing exclusively ibanez......!!

Yep but many of his Ibanezes are True Tempered. It's just a way to get a proper intonation,tune.

Most people look at these necks and say "that can't work". Then they strum a chord and "wow". Genius at work just like with Hi-Tek. And both are hard to understand for some folks.

Ausglock
07-20-2018, 04:25 AM
Steve Who???
Kirk Hammett Is the Only Guitar Legend... \m/

Petander
07-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Steve Who???
Kirk Hammett Is the Only Guitar Legend... \m/

I see,you are a fan. That's good,me too. In my opinion, all music is good. Depends on the listener.

But hey: is there a way to remove lube from already lubed bullets so that the become clean enough for coating?

HI-TEK
07-20-2018, 08:30 AM
I see,you are a fan. That's good,me too. In my opinion, all music is good. Depends on the listener.

But hey: is there a way to remove lube from already lubed bullets so that the become clean enough for coating?

Petander,
I don't know any other way to get rid of other lubes except re-melt and cast. Most cost effective and safest way.
All other type cleaners cause major problems, and toxicity problems.
Then there is waste disposal problems.
Sorry, there is no 100% effective way to clean cast that would be regarded as producing a clean alloy from of all residues.
Simply re-melt, cast, and Acid etch to get best results, especially if your alloy is an unknown composition with possible contaminants.
You proved that this simple refining, (acid wash) actually works, and you can coat & use "unknown" alloys successfully.

igolfat8
07-20-2018, 08:52 AM
I’ve successfully removed wax lube and then successfully re-coated with HT and PC paints. I put lubed bullets into a quart glass jar, covered bullets with paint thinner, put lid on and allowed to soak over night, shaking the jar a few random times during the process. Wax will be disssolved and liquid can be pored off and discarded responsibly. Then fill jar 1/3 full with acetone, shake and discard acetone. Repeat acetone rinse. Pore bullets onto a clean towel, while boolits are still wet then slosh around in towel. Put boolits into a clean jar and repeat acetone rinse third time. Pour onto clean paper towels to dry and your done. It’s a pain to do but it has worked well for me the few times I’ve done it with waxed bullets.

Intel6
07-20-2018, 04:42 PM

I have a long nice history with cast & 1895 but haven't had a Marlin for some years.

I have used Hi Tek on plenty of my 45-70 bullets for use in my 1895 SBL.

In the pic below you can see the NOE collar button and the NOE 350 gr. WFN coated in HiTek Bronze

A recent favorite of mine is the NOE 354 HTC which is a smooth bullet that can be used in both the 458 SOCOM and the 45-70. I got it for the SOCOM but found it shoots really well in my SBL.

This is my heavy bullet in SBL, NOE 405 gr. WFN style coated in HiTek Texas Tea (the black with gold metallic)

All fired out of my fun as heck 1895 SBL sitting next to my 336 BL in 30-30

dansedgli
07-21-2018, 06:03 AM
Shot some sub 4 inch groups at 50 yards out of my new trubor today with my home made zombie green 122 fp's.

Pretty happy with that.

Ausglock
07-21-2018, 08:00 AM
What load you running?
I run 125SWC 31.5mm OAL 8.4gn AP-100 171 P/F rested 50 yard 10 shot group is around 2"
That is after Victor Precision did a hardchrome and trigger job and fitted a new STI barrel.

Gremlin460
07-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Yes...

dansedgli
07-21-2018, 09:06 AM
5 grains of AP70 with the 122 grain FP which made 130pf. It's for action match, I'm not allowed to shoot major on our plate rack.

After I ported the barrel on my old gun it wouldn't shoot minor anymore, hence the trubor purchase.

I'll test out some major loads next week. I've been using 9.2 grains of AP100 with the tiger sharks, was planning on starting around 8.5 and going from there.

I just shot 2 10 round groups on a single IPSC target today, it'd be nice to try on a target with a better aiming reference.

Gotta work out a 9mm load too and change my dies around. :(

Petander
07-22-2018, 01:12 PM
I have used Hi Tek on plenty of my 45-70 bullets for use in my 1895 SBL...

...All fired out of my fun as heck 1895 SBL

SBL surprised me big time. Big fun! Easy as butter,everything is right... well,except whoever did this should sober up:

Petander
07-22-2018, 01:19 PM
I’ve successfully removed wax lube and then successfully re-coated with HT and PC paints. I put lubed bullets into a quart glass jar, covered bullets with paint thinner, put lid on and allowed to soak over night, shaking the jar a few random times during the process. Wax will be disssolved and liquid can be pored off and discarded responsibly. Then fill jar 1/3 full with acetone, shake and discard acetone. Repeat acetone rinse. Pore bullets onto a clean towel, while boolits are still wet then slosh around in towel. Put boolits into a clean jar and repeat acetone rinse third time. Pour onto clean paper towels to dry and your done. It’s a pain to do but it has worked well for me the few times I’ve done it with waxed bullets.

I boiled my bullets first,most of the visible wax floated away. Acetone next,then I'll soak them in HCL to see what's up with the alloy. Ultrasonic might work as well...?

I found hundreds of good ,lubed and gas checked .458 bullets from years ago. Wash and soak is't much work at all.

Petander
07-22-2018, 01:28 PM
What load you running?
I run 125SWC 31.5mm OAL 8.4gn AP-100 171 P/F rested 50 yard 10 shot group is around 2"
That is after Victor Precision did a hardchrome and trigger job and fitted a new STI barrel.

That is some serious accuracy! Can you do that with open sights?

I need a carbine & red dot for that.

Ausglock
07-22-2018, 05:25 PM
I run a 4MOA C-more on my Marlin 44Mag

dansedgli
07-22-2018, 09:10 PM
What diameter bullets do you use in the trubor?

Ausglock
07-22-2018, 10:01 PM
.3565"
Bore is .355"

dansedgli
07-22-2018, 10:08 PM
Thanks, im yet to measure my bore size. Just at the range with some 357s to see if its any different.

Petander
07-23-2018, 03:22 AM
I have used Hi Tek on plenty of my 45-70 bullets for use in my 1895 SBL....

This is my heavy bullet in SBL, NOE 405 gr. WFN style coated in HiTek Texas Tea (the black with gold metallic)

What size are you using for your SBL?

dansedgli
07-23-2018, 08:45 AM
I might need to get Victor to fit a barrel for me.

These were about my best groups today at 50 yards. 122 grain Flat Points in Zombie Green in 38 super. 5.3 grains of AP70, sized to .357. 5 grains wouldn't cycle 100%.

The 357's seemed a bit more consistent than the 356's but that could be my fault too. I don't do a whole lot of practice at 50.

Top group is my workman gun, bottom is my trubor. Aimed at the centre for both but my workman gun is sighted in for Major PF. Going to shoot major tomorrow and try to chrono.

To date this is my most accurate semi auto load so I am pretty happy. :)

glockfan
07-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Thanks, im yet to measure my bore size. Just at the range with some 357s to see if its any different.

i've slugged my glock barrels anyways.....but...but i reflected that slugged or not, you still have no choice than using the resizers in either 356-57-58 .....so then, there's one size that will fit.just a matter of experimenting with different sizes which will eventually lead to the right size for any given guns.

Ausglock
07-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Dan. What is your OAL?
Vic has all his guns setup to run 31.5mm. with 125Conicals and 125SWC.
A bloke in Brisbane got a new DVC open gun. sent straight to Victor to tune. Bloke then ordered 20,000 125SWC from me cause that is what Victor set his gun up to use. Bloke is happy as larry with how his gun runs.
Karla run a Matt ASI gun and also runs our 125Conicals in it. 31.5mmOAL

Petander
07-23-2018, 06:37 PM
i've slugged my glock barrels anyways.....but...but i reflected that slugged or not, you still have no choice than using the resizers in either 356-57-58 .....so then, there's one size that will fit.just a matter of experimenting with different sizes which will eventually lead to the right size for any given guns.

Yep.

My 9mm Tangwoo is most accurate with 358. But the 160 grain bullet that I use is easier to load in 357. 358 can get crowded in many ways. And now with Hi Tek, 357 won't lead. But it is not as accurate... So I will try 3575 next.

Petander
07-25-2018, 02:55 PM
I cleaned some old 400 grain Lee boolits and gave them a triple Hi-Tek coating. Loaded 50 rounds and fired them @ 1650 fps, no leading at all and very good accuracy. Fist size rocks @ 50 meters. Even "The Dip" didn't find any lead after a couple of dry patches. Powder residue only - I still haven't slugged the barrel, 4595 is my size now.

This is just great,even though I got carried away from my original suppressed 9mm carbine-mission. That was my reason to try Hi-Tek but it can wait. This crazy summer heat wave needs big boolits.

Now I'm back in time with a 45-70 and I like it!

dansedgli
07-26-2018, 07:50 PM
Dan. What is your OAL?
Vic has all his guns setup to run 31.5mm. with 125Conicals and 125SWC.
A bloke in Brisbane got a new DVC open gun. sent straight to Victor to tune. Bloke then ordered 20,000 125SWC from me cause that is what Victor set his gun up to use. Bloke is happy as larry with how his gun runs.
Karla run a Matt ASI gun and also runs our 125Conicals in it. 31.5mmOAL

I can't remember but it is shorter than that due to the flat point. I loaded up a few thousand on Wednesday. It is good enough for me.

I'm going to stick with the 357's. They shoot a little better and I also noticed they don't smoke as much, on Tuesday I used the 356's and got heaps of smoke out of my ports and compensator, almost enough to make me buy tigersharks again. Last night I used the 357's and didn't notice any smoke at all. Both loads were with AP100.

Is it normal for undersized bullets to smoke more? Is the larger size compensating for my hobo lead?

igolfat8
07-26-2018, 08:05 PM
Perhaps you are getting gas blow by with the smaller boolits? You may also experience lower pressure and incomplete combustion with some or all showing as excess smoke?

Ausglock
07-27-2018, 01:26 AM
Hmmm... never noticed it with mine. Have run .356 .3565 .357.
.3565 is the best in mine.
I use sizer dies from Lathesmith on this forum. His dies are the best there are.

Tazza
07-29-2018, 11:39 PM
Well, look what arrived today? wonder what's in the parcel....... Good thing i did a little casting yesterday, need to do more to use all this stuff up :)

CamoWhamo
07-30-2018, 01:51 AM
Well, look what arrived today? wonder what's in the parcel....... Good thing i did a little casting yesterday, need to do more to use all this stuff up :)

I'm surprised Australia post managed to deliver it with the address label blanked out like that :grin:

Must be why my order hasn't shown up yet. 4 weeks and counting [smilie=1:

Ausglock
07-30-2018, 02:24 AM
Rookie size parcel....
Mine come on a carton the size of a small car.
Need a 3 ton forklift to unload it...

Tazza
07-30-2018, 05:27 AM
Hehe, hopefully my next order will be a similar size. Now to start playing with hitek to get it working for me. It works for everyone else, i hopefylly stand a small chance ��

HI-TEK
07-30-2018, 05:54 AM
I'm surprised Australia post managed to deliver it with the address label blanked out like that :grin:

Sent you a PM.

HI-TEK
07-30-2018, 05:55 AM
Rookie size parcel....
Mine come on a carton the size of a small car.
Need a 3 ton forklift to unload it...

Not to mention about a pallet lot of test samples.

Tazza
07-30-2018, 03:53 PM
Australia post must have lifted their game, knowing where to send it with a blank label :)

Great job working out what day to ship it so it would arrive this week. Was a nice trip up north, warmer than it was in Brisbane, that's for sure!

Ausglock
07-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Tazza... Were you up at T/ville for the ICORE??

Tazza
07-30-2018, 05:26 PM
Sadly no, there was no shooting on that trip, was just a weeks holiday with the wifie.

We had plans of going down south, but as soon as she saw that the weather was below zero, she said nope, head north! So we went to her friends place in Mackay for a visit, home via Rocky and bundaberg.

I should get a revolver and into Icore, but i love stiring up mad mates that shoot revolvers, if i was to get one, i'd never hear the end of it :)

Ausglock
07-30-2018, 06:44 PM
Ha... same here, Had a 686 for like 4 weeks. hated the thing. sold it and bought a Springfield 1911 9mm.
Sold the springer and bought the STI Tac 5.
Love putting poo on the wheelgunners..

Tazza
07-30-2018, 07:11 PM
A mate got a cheap 686 in stainless years ago, it's good for a play with beefy loads, but vs a semi, there is no comparison. It's just there for practice and fun.

I love doing my RO duties for steel and do the whole show clear, slide down, hammer down and holster to them the look of W.T.F is priceless. But they do have a laugh as they know i'm not serious.

Some people are awesome with their tricked up revolvers, but i still like my 2011 sti guns more.

I started with a connors 1911 open gun, that broke.... Then i got Victor to make a 2011 open one for me that I broke (still waiting on a pesky barrel).... Then got a standard 2011 STI in .38 super so i could still shoot.

I want a 9mm so i don't send a fortune on brass, every trip to the range i walk away with 9mm cases that were left on the ground. Mates keep saying get a glock, i just can't do it, i really don't like the grip angle.

benellinut
07-30-2018, 07:33 PM
Wheel guns slow? Oh I don't know about that... Here's an eight shot S&W, pretty quick. Then dumping six, reload and dump six more, and on target. :wink:

https://youtu.be/WzHG-ibZaKM

benellinut
07-30-2018, 07:36 PM
https://youtu.be/ChSazF41q-s

Ausglock
07-30-2018, 07:52 PM
My Victor tuned TruBor is running sweet.
Going to get him to hardchrome the Tac 5 and carbo the grip and undercut the trigger guard etc etc.

Tazza
07-30-2018, 08:38 PM
Mine was running awesome, till someone (I) messed up a load and appears to have tried to push two 125s down the barrel at once *sad face* Bulged, but did not burst thankfully.

Hard chrome finish looks sweet and i was under the impression it will make it last longer as it's harder wearing, it will also take up any slack you have in the slide/frame to make it like new again.

I liked the look of the under cut trigger guard, and the carbo grip works well. Some hate it being so rough, but it doesn't slip around in your hands with it, even with oily hands. When i got mine done, he had some fancy springs and trigger bits to give a great trigger feel.

dansedgli
07-30-2018, 10:36 PM
Do the carbo job yourself. I did mine a few weeks ago. It was quite easy. I bought a 10kg tub of silicon carbide from Supercheap and used JB weld. Got 9.95kgs of carbide left. :roll:

Agree about revolvers. I had an 8 shot 627 in 38 super for a few months.Very accurate but awful to shoot, even after a good trigger job. No wonder Icore only gets 50 people to a nationals.

Tazza
07-30-2018, 11:31 PM
Nice job, they look great. The only difference with mine is the fact he left the STI logos uncovered.

glockfan
07-31-2018, 12:55 AM
Wheel guns slow? Oh I don't know about that... Here's an eight shot S&W, pretty quick. Then dumping six, reload and dump six more, and on target. :wink:

https://youtu.be/WzHG-ibZaKM

you can't really put miculeck fairly in the equation.old dude has gorilla's forearms lol. he clamp the gun with one hand with as much pressure as most of us can with 2 lol...

Flintlockrecord
07-31-2018, 01:15 AM

NZ post must be slower. 5 weeks and counting!

HI-TEK
07-31-2018, 02:12 AM
NZ post must be slower. 5 weeks and counting!

Sen ta PM

pkchwy
07-31-2018, 02:30 AM
What Hi Tek color gives the best result and coverage for a beginner

kevin c
07-31-2018, 02:57 AM
From reading this thread, I'd gotten the impression that the metallic versions are just a bit trickier to manage because of the quick settling of the flakes after shaking. So I started with the nonmetallic black cherry, which never failed in the gun from day one (though I did have slight wipe off starting out, and had one batch where a few bullets stuck together in the bake, both do to mixing errors on my part, but again those same bullets shot just fine).

ETA: and I still use that color, not seeing any reason to change (I shoot almost exclusively pistol calibers at mild velocities - I might consider a metallic if I decide to cast for my .44 Magnum).

Ausglock
07-31-2018, 08:28 AM
Gold 1035 is good to start with, Red copper, Texas Tea, are also good. The Black is good. If you over bake, it doesn't matter as it is already black...

eljefeoz
08-01-2018, 12:55 AM
Texa tea- worked perfect from first batch, and the shimmery flakes looks good ;)

Intel6
08-01-2018, 10:50 AM
What size are you using for your SBL?

Sorry, I don't get on this board as much as I used to. If you are asking about what I size the bullet at I use a NOE push through sizer with the .459" insert in it.

Neal in AZ

Elkins45
08-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Which colors are metallic and which aren’t? The website doesn’t specify, at least for the powder.

Petander
08-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Sorry, I don't get on this board as much as I used to. If you are asking about what I size the bullet at I use a NOE push through sizer with the .459" insert in it.

Neal in AZ

Thanks. I am surprised how easy ir was to get everything fine for the SBL, I use 4595 ,still not slugged the barrel.

Here is my old Marlin, I fired about 15k cast bullets with it.

Ausglock
08-03-2018, 05:31 AM
OK you lot. Time to put your money up for the annual forum Donation drive.
I have my $28.18 AUD ($20 USD) in. so come on.....we all get something from this forum existing. Time to support it.

HI-TEK
08-03-2018, 06:12 AM
OK you lot. Time to put your money up for the annual forum Donation drive.
I have my $28.18 AUD ($20 USD) in. so come on.....we all get something from this forum existing. Time to support it.

I have donated. The site needs all members to contribute and support.

Petander
08-04-2018, 08:11 AM
Me too.

I managed to remove lube from old 45-70 bullets,these shoot fine and clean @ 1700 fps. Very impressive!

igolfat8
08-04-2018, 01:18 PM
I just donated too. It’s a great forum and one of the few that I support.

Ausglock
08-04-2018, 06:13 PM
I have heard on the grapevine that there are a few "Delicate" humans that have an aversion to jovial use of the Queen's English.
One would assume that we, as firearms owners, would have a rather armoured demeanour when it comes to talking excrement.
Perhaps the Snowflake virus has affected a few individuals?????

Just saying.....

benellinut
08-04-2018, 06:25 PM
I have heard on the grapevine that there are a few "Delicate" humans that have an aversion to jovial use of the Queen's English.
One would assume that we, as firearms owners, would have a rather armoured demeanour when it comes to talking excrement.

Just saying.....

Oh no, did someone get "offend"? LoL Do we need to make a "Safe Space" or set up a "Crying closet"? :grin:

benellinut
08-04-2018, 06:29 PM
https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/inauguration_scream.jpg

Avenger442
08-04-2018, 06:40 PM
I think Mr. Snyder’s idea is to keep this a “family friendly” site. And the mouth monitors are simply reflecting that attitude.

In other words if you don’t have an educated grasp of the language to say it without using a word you would object to your kid or wife calling you, don’t use the word.

I once told a local cop the same thing. That if he was too ignorant to converse with me without cussing me he needed to go back to school. Needless to say he still wrote the ticket. But I didn’t hear another cuss word out of his mouth.

Best regards to all of you whose mind and mouth runs a little loose:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Stephen Cohen
08-04-2018, 06:42 PM

Just saying.....

I think that is as close to an apology that anyone will get from you mate. Benellinut you crack me up. Regards Stephen

Ausglock
08-05-2018, 12:10 AM
Nope. wasn't me.
I have been chewed out before... no biggie and it will not be the last time.
Another member posted a meme with the word "naughty posterior" in it and got chewed out for it.
The word is actually used in a Kid Rock song..I am a big fan of his music..

Petander
08-05-2018, 04:28 AM
Can too much tin be a problem for Hi-Tek coating?

My Ww-alloy has lots of tin because of pre-mixed monotype. HCL wash makes it great for coating. Without wash it doesn't coat well at all.

I gave some coating material to a friend and his alloy looks like this:

I guess it will be "try and see what happens".

We have no commercial alloys available here. It's illegal for an individual to buy lead if one intends to make something out of it. So we are stuck with what we already have.

HI-TEK
08-05-2018, 04:44 AM
Can too much tin be a problem for Hi-Tek coating?

My Ww-alloy has lots of tin because of pre-mixed monotype. HCL wash makes it great for coating. Without wash it doesn't coat well at all.

I gave some coating material to a friend and his alloy looks like this:

I guess it will be "try and see what happens".

We have no commercial alloys available here. It's illegal for an individual to buy lead if one intends to make something out of it. So we are stuck with what we already have.

PETANDER,
Hydrochloric acid can dissolve with slower rates Tin, Copper, and faster rates with Zinc, Magnesium, Aluminium, Cadmium.
What you need to consider is, that metals, that are reactive to acid, are located and inter-mixed with the Lead at surface of cast alloy.
The acid attacks the reactive metals mostly on surface, (and working into alloy), and, leaving a porous surface. It would be great to have examined by magnification, before and after acid cleaning of surfaces.

How do you know if the alloy has large amounts of Tin? If that is the case, it is very valuable indeed. Tin is very expensive alloying metal, and is added in small amounts to help fill out Mould cavity evenly.

With acid etching, it simply improves surface area for coating to bond. It is like millions of little anchor points where coating can grip.

Petander
08-05-2018, 07:05 AM
PETANDER,

How do you know if the alloy has large amounts of Tin? If that is the case, it is very valuable indeed.

I cleaned my WW and made ingots with 30% and 50% "linotype" which actually was monotype,which I still have. So the tin ratio is higher than I thought. My boolits and ingots look like stainless steel and stay like that for decades. The alloy is very "malleable", if that word makes sense. Even the harder 50/50 boolits are not brittle.

I also asked here in another thread and everyone said "lotsa tin my friend,lotsa tin".

Whatever it is, HCL quickly makes them excellent for coating,I'm very happy. But I'm always ready to learn more.

HI-TEK
08-05-2018, 07:15 AM
I cleaned my WW and made ingots with 30% and 50% "linotype" which actually was monotype,which I still have. So the tin ratio is higher than I thought. My boolits and ingots look like stainless steel and stay like that for decades. The alloy is very "malleable", if that word makes sense. Even the harder 50/50 boolits are not brittle.

I also asked here in another thread and everyone said "lotsa tin my friend,lotsa tin".

Whatever it is, HCL quickly makes them excellent for coating,I'm very happy. But I'm always ready to learn more.

PETANDER
They look great casts. As you say, almost like Stainless steel.
The frosty finish, I have to assume is the one that is acid washed.
Lotsa Tin is OK if you can get it cheap. But now, it is like Gold with prices.
What is great, that you virtually single handed, shown how unusable alloy mix can be used for coating with Hi-Tek and shot successfully.
Once coating has bonded well, it should work OK.
What would also help greatly, is if you can do a hardness test on these shiny alloys.
I suspect that they may be quite soft, (I could be wrong).

Petander
08-05-2018, 08:04 AM
PETANDER
They look great casts. As you say, almost like Stainless steel.

What would also help greatly, is if you can do a hardness test on these shiny alloys.
I suspect that they may be quite soft, (I could be wrong)

Yes the one in the middle is washed. I have had a Saeco tester for 20 years, yes they are around 14 BHN. My 50/50 mix is about 20 BHN. I shoot 14 BHN with the 45-70. Many people say it's all too soft but it works for me with this alloy. 20 BHN is for 30 cal.

HI-TEK
08-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Yes the one in the middle is washed. I have had a Saeco tester for 20 years, yes they are around 14 BHN. My 50/50 mix is about 20 BHN. I shoot 14 BHN with the 45-70. Many people say it's all too soft but it works for me with this alloy. 20 BHN is for 30 cal.

Thanks for quick reply.
14 BHN is quite OK.
Whatever you alloy composition , as they say "if it works, leave it alone".
Glad that things worked out OK after the initial hassles.

Avenger442
08-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Yes the one in the middle is washed. I have had a Saeco tester for 20 years, yes they are around 14 BHN. My 50/50 mix is about 20 BHN. I shoot 14 BHN with the 45-70. Many people say it's all too soft but it works for me with this alloy. 20 BHN is for 30

13-14 BHN works best in my .308 at about 2600 fps. If I get into the 17 BHN area I have to adjust things. It is also what I shoot in the 45-70. I aim for that hardness when alloying my wheel weights with tin. Haven't had any problems with bonding the coating. But my alloy is not what I would call high tin.

Petander
08-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Here is a previosly lubed and sized bullet, smashed after one Hi-Tek coat.I think I got rid of the lube just fine, the coating is bonding good.

These are old bullets, I was young and even more stupid than I am now and I sized these .457 with a brand new Lee sizer. Then I just put these undersized boolits away,until now that I found them.

I will try to "fatten" these up a bit for the Marlin I have now. How? I will give these several coats of Gold 1035 ! :)

benellinut
08-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Here is a previosly lubed and sized bullet, smashed after one Hi-Tek coat.I think I got rid of the lube just fine, the coating is bonding good.

These are old bullets, I was young and even more stupid than I am now and I sized these .457 with a brand new Lee sizer. Then I just put these undersized boolits away,until now that I found them.

I will try to "fatten" these up a bit for the Marlin I have now. How? I will give these several coats of Gold 1035 ! :)

"I was young and even more stupid than I am now"

Ha!! You cracked me up and made my day, same here!! What was the process you used to get the lube off, I have a bunch of .45 ACP wad cutters from a huge batch I bought from a local caster many, many years ago when I was shooting Bullseye matches, before I started casting my own. I have a ton of them that some of the hard lube fell out of the groove, I set them aside and they have been under the bench all these years, would love to be able to coat them rather then put them into the pot.

Thanks for making my day LoL. :grin:

Petander
08-07-2018, 06:11 AM
Ha!! You cracked me up and made my day, same here!! What was the process you used to get the lube off, I have a bunch of .45 ACP wad cutters from a huge batch I bought from a local caster many, many years ago.

My relatively soft homemade lube dissolves in gasoline. A couple of quick soaks, I then gave the boolits my usual HCL wash. Then a quick acetone rinse,just to make sure. Acetone wasn't needed though,I compared with and without it.

I cleaned and coated about 300 old boolits now,they also grew from the stupid .357 to .359 with four thin coatings. I really like a diluted (I add denatured alcohol) Hi-Tek mix, easy to swirl without hurry. And it coats my alloy very well.

This color is Gold 1035 with a hint of green from the swirling container. Overbaked a tad,not too hot,just a bit longer.

glockfan
08-07-2018, 06:19 AM
back in my superbike racing days,we were using actetone to remove the molding product they put in the tire's molds to help releasing the freshly molded tire from the molds. this stuff is very sticky. rubbing the tire with a rag dipped in acetone was doin the trick.i figure if it's strong enough for this duty,it can remove anything greasy on a boolit.

igolfat8
08-07-2018, 07:52 AM

Hmmm, for one coat of HT this sure looks like a non diluted coat or a really heavy coat. One coat of HT on mine and I still see lead and one coat looks more like a very light stain than yours. Just curious at what ratio you mix your HT and are you using liquid or powder?

Petander
08-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Hmmm, for one coat of HT this sure looks like a non diluted coat or a really heavy coat. One coat of HT on mine and I still see lead and one coat looks more like a very light stain than yours. Just curious at what ratio you mix your HT and are you using liquid or powder?

I know what you mean,this looks like lots of coating. What I'm doing now is just a result from experimenting. It could be all wrong but the thin mixture gets really sucked in by the porous HCL washed surface. No more flaking even after many coats.

So:

I use Hi-Tek powder as per instructions , 20 grams / 100 ml acetone. But I add about 30-40 ml denatured alcohol to the mix. This way I get a very thin but even coat almost all over the bullet. I can swirl without rushing it, my bullets are wet when I dump then on a mesh tray.

Here it is after the swirl,dried,waiting for the first bake:

The following coats can be thicker if wanted. I have many bottles with different colours and ratios. Most importantly, I shoot these 1700 fps with a factory rough Marlin without leading. No GC or anything...I still don't really understand this but I like it!

Grmps
08-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Thin is good on the first coat. A good base coat does wonders for the rest of the coats

HI-TEK
08-07-2018, 08:08 PM
I know what you mean,this looks like lots of coating. What I'm doing now is just a result from experimenting. It could be all wrong but the thin mixture gets really sucked in by the porous HCL washed surface. No more flaking even after many coats.

So:

I use Hi-Tek powder as per instructions , 20 grams / 100 ml acetone. But I add about 30-40 ml denatured alcohol to the mix. This way I get a very thin but even coat almost all over the bullet. I can swirl without rushing it, my bullets are wet when I dump then on a mesh tray.

Here it is after the swirl,dried,waiting for the first bake:

The following coats can be thicker if wanted. I have many bottles with different colours and ratios. Most importantly, I shoot these 1700 fps with a factory rough Marlin without leading. No GC or anything...I still don't really understand this but I like it!

PETANDER,
You have succeeded again.
You have proven, that thin coats, well bonded will work just fine. Once first coat is applied, dried and baked, (and, it does not matter how thin) , the subsequent coats, can be also thin, (diluted mixtures) will bond well to first coat, and will stay bonded and work.

From my understandings, gas checks are normally used , to prevent heat from burning powder from melting alloy, resulting with the bypassing hot gasses between bore and alloy. With the Hi-Tek coatings, the severe heat is reflected, and this significant reduction of heat prevents melting of the alloy.
Gas checks can be also considered a "version" of Jacketing, but only the tail end of the alloy is covered.
As long as you can prevent gas cutting, and can separate bore from alloy, that is all that is required.
What you have done is demonstrated just those points.
Thin coats, even multiple lots, will work just great. It is that first pesky coat that is needed to be right in the first place. You have done just that.

Petander
08-08-2018, 10:40 AM
I sent some Gold 1035 to a fellow caster today.

He has been casting for 30 years,also tried powder coating. I have a feeling that Hi-Tek will impress him.

Grmps
08-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Making/using a mechanical tumbler really helped with my consistency.
Trevor has a fancy one costing big bucks, mine is a simple, cheap DIY one.
Basic model: 2x8 or 2x10 base, 2x4 for back support, ¾ ply front and back, ¼ ply or ? for elevation, 1 windshield wiper motor, 1 computer power supply, 2 wheels, a piece of metal strapping or ¼ ply to attach motor, 2 gal base bucket, fasteners, M8 bolt, M8 thread coupling (to attach bucket to wiper motor), agitators (I used 2 pieces of ¾ nylon cutting board cut at a bevel you can use what ever you have around)
Outlet box and switch.
Power from main power lead on pc powder supply, separate all the yellow wires (12 volt) and black wires (ground) and green wire (on/off switch) from that one lead. (you don’t need the rest) I hooked 1 black and the green to a switch.
Choose your base and wheels and mount accordingly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXLq_9CW4c
with metal base
https://i.imgur.com/Sc61MTt.jpg
Bucket attached to wipermotor
https://i.imgur.com/xfSbWY7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/F3j8qo8.jpg
My coater assembled
https://i.imgur.com/3u2pdN9.jpg
Sample from online
https://i.imgur.com/L1zaabI.png
My coater without top on it (I buried all the wires in the power supply on this one)
https://i.imgur.com/j71JrbA.png
Coating bucket ( I have one for each color)
https://i.imgur.com/lvsmgyw.png

https://i.imgur.com/Rg76OnC.png
Put in the boolits to be coated, turn it on, shake and measure your Hitek solution, check the clock and add the Hitek solution.
Depending on motor speed, size and angle on your agitators you’ll need to determine the best time (10 – 15 seconds) to coat

Grmps
08-08-2018, 04:36 PM
BONUS: instead of a coating bucket you can modify a bucket similar to this, get a square 2# peanut jar, put 2# of pins in it and you have a brass polisher (fill up to 80% with brass, 90% with hot water, a little citric acid and 1 squirt dish soap) [the amount of brass you can tumble at one time may depend on how heavy duty your wiper motor is, you may need a small fan to keep the wiper motor cool

https://i.imgur.com/yvmiEqW.png

https://i.imgur.com/uH838gk.png

Tazza
08-08-2018, 04:46 PM
Nice job! pretty well all made from old bits and pieces.

Jmorris had an automatic tumbling setup like this too, simple yet very effective.

How many do you dump in at once? I guess the only limitation is the motor power and what you can manage to pick up and move.

Ausglock
08-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Good job, Grmps.

Gremlin460
08-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Well done Grmps!! You did real well.

Grmps
08-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Nice job! pretty well all made from old bits and pieces.

Jmorris had an automatic tumbling setup like this too, simple yet very effective.

How many do you dump in at once? I guess the only limitation is the motor power and what you can manage to pick up and move.

I do 9# (4.1 kg) per batch

WheelgunConvert
08-09-2018, 08:32 PM
I’ve been watching this particular thread since late 2015 and greatly appreciate the valuable information and the subsequent developments in the products evolution. Isn’t it about time to segment the thread and lock the older iteration discussions? Perhaps by 2 year segments or catalyst transition timeline.

Or better yet, you may want to just delete my suggestion. !)

Cbc

Ausglock
08-09-2018, 10:08 PM
And loose all the witty banter????
No way....

OldBearHair
08-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Got a new Lee .452 TC 45 acp mould in the mail at 5:30 pm. Turned on the pot at 600 pm. Turned on the oven at sevenish. First picture is the first light coat of Hi-Tek Gold. Second picture is the second light coat. Out of the oven at 8:54 pm. Three hours and twenty four minutes and ready to load. I could do more coats to get a pretty bullet, but that is not what I am after. They will work marvelously at 790 fps in my Bersa Thunder 45 or the Hi-Point carbine at a little faster speed. Clean barrels, no smoke, no dies full of lube, no waiting 24 hours for something to almost get dry, etc. and etcetra.
And I will add that the bullets are round from this mould or that is,, nearly at .453......452. The lead is from a batch of ingots one and two lbs. of unknown mix. I can barely make a finger nail scratch on them. The ingots weighed over 300 lbs. and were in two five gallon plastic buckets. I had to set them in the bucket of his loader at the junk yard.. We took them around front and needed to put them on the scale. A young strong looking man was there and tried to lift a bucket, gave up in disdain. I put the buckets on the scale because it was the needed thing to do. I really didn't want to make the young man look bad, but I guess it did. The guy on the loader did say something about the old man showing him up.. LOL. Then 80 years old.

OldBearHair
08-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Reverse the picture numbers and it will be right. The smashed bullet is in there as well.

Tazza
08-09-2018, 10:52 PM
Nice job, you sure didn't waste any time getting casting with your new mould.

You need to show up the "young kids" these days, many years of heavy lifting means i can lift more than i probably should. I'd like to have seen his face being shown up by someone quite a few years his senior :)

OldBearHair
08-09-2018, 11:21 PM
Thanks Tazza, Reason I posted this was someone said in another post that it was too much trouble opposed to traditional lubing and I thought to myself really I don't spend much time doing it, so I paid attention to the time it took today. My vote is Hi-Tek over anything else.

Tazza
08-09-2018, 11:26 PM
I guess it could be faster with a lube sizer, but there is no way hi-tek is slow. The main benefit i see is they are not sticky, and there is a barrier between you and lead.

glockfan
08-10-2018, 07:47 AM
i just love this color.everytime i'm loading my old gold hi tek'ed boolits,i'm feeling like a rich businessman LOL!!

HI-TEK
08-10-2018, 08:11 AM
i just love this color.everytime i'm loading my old gold hi tek'ed boolits,i'm feeling like a rich businessman LOL!!

Glockfan,
Mad scientists have been trying to convert Lead into Gold for years. Looks like you succeeded…..

OldBearHair
08-10-2018, 08:28 AM
Hey Glockfan, put several of the Hi-Tek Gold boolits in each pocket and it will make you feel like the rich business man all the more. NOTE; Do not show them off too much or there might be a Paddy Wagon parked out front and two burly men coming at you with a white shirt with very long sleeves. HEh Heh Heh!

glockfan
08-10-2018, 08:32 AM
Hey Glockfan, put several of the Hi-Tek Gold boolits in each pocket and it will make you feel like the rich business man all the more. NOTE; Do not show them off too much or there might be a Paddy Wagon parked out front and two burly men coming at you with a white shirt with very long sleeves. HEh Heh Heh!

when i see people's face looking at my ammo, i feel like carrying a million dollars in a suitcase knowing i'm about to get busted by thugs LOL!!

OldBearHair
08-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Update on new mould. Found the top punch in the die was off centered. Fixed by round ball rotary file and Southbend Lathe. Had the newly coated bullets loaded up 35 each before the fix. Shot for effect at 50 feet. Moved the rear sight on the Bersa Thunder 45 acp semi-auto. Next is how to raise the group. Shot three factory fmj, with the 4595 Hipoint carbine for a reference point. Then the last group with the carbine and 234 grain lead truncated boolit , 6.1 grains CFE powder. FPS up to 1001 in the carbine. Some less for the pistol. Feel much better trying the carbine on the hogs. Weather will soon be under the 90s and that will be the start for pig hunting for me and a guy named Vince.

OldBearHair
08-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Now for pictures.

Ausglock
08-10-2018, 05:50 PM

You ARE a rich Businessman...

Petander
08-11-2018, 05:53 PM

I'm having a serious blast with gold ammo a well.

glockfan
08-11-2018, 05:56 PM
You ARE a rich Businessman...

seen from the angle that i have a lot of OLD GOLD to use....yep,i'm a rich prospector LOL!!

ok.i'm very,very happy with the results i'm getting with my hi tek'ed 35-145M accurate mold boolits.

here's the kind of groupings i'm getting at 20meters with my ZEV TECH G34.not that far ,but it,s the typical distances we shoot in ipsc,so all is good.

of course that is a 3 inch bullseye .i do 5 shots groups,so at 20 meters off hands...im not the best shot out there,but my hi tek'ed boolits are on par in the accuracy department as jacketed. forget the 2 flyers,it's shooter's error.

benellinut
08-11-2018, 07:59 PM
seen from the angle that i have a lot of OLD GOLD to use....yep,i'm a rich prospector LOL!!

ok.i'm very,very happy with the results i'm getting with my hi tek'ed 35-145M accurate mold boolits.

here's the kind of groupings i'm getting at 20meters with my ZEV TECH G34.not that far ,but it,s the typical distances we shoot in ipsc,so all is good.

of course that is a 3 inch bullseye .i do 5 shots groups,so at 20 meters off hands...im not the best shot out there,but my hi tek'ed boolits are on par in the accuracy department as jacketed. forget the 2 flyers,it's shooter's error.

Was your target moving at all at the time you placed your shots? Reason I ask, looking at the holes it appears "to me" and I may be wrong, I'm sure others will correct me if I am, it appears the bullets may be canting a tad during flight, if the target wasn't moving, if they are canting that would open your group. Still all in all, not a bad target for distance and free hand, I'd take it! What say the rest of the gang?

glockfan
08-12-2018, 12:52 AM
Was your target moving at all at the time you placed your shots? Reason I ask, looking at the holes it appears "to me" and I may be wrong, I'm sure others will correct me if I am, it appears the bullets may be canting a tad during flight, if the target wasn't moving, if they are canting that would open your group. Still all in all, not a bad target for distance and free hand, I'd take it! What say the rest of the gang?

i forgot to mention it was all quick double taps like we do at the ipsc games.

it was windy today,and the wind was playing with the 4 corners of the target .condition were not the best for such distance and fast double taps. when i do my part,the groups are much tighter than that,but still, it was a loosy day for me,my wife shot better groups than me.

i rarely practice my bullseye shooting,most of the time i shoot doubles , i'm kind of replicating the pace at the matches.

nest time i will practice my bullseye shooting skills,but i know that if i shoot slowly,aiming and press progressively till the shot goes, my casts are as accurate if not more than jacketed.

benellinut
08-12-2018, 02:10 AM
i forgot to mention it was all quick double taps like we do at the ipsc games.

it was windy today,and the wind was playing with the 4 corners of the target .condition were not the best for such distance and fast double taps. when i do my part,the groups are much tighter than that,but still, it was a loosy day for me,my wife shot better groups than me.

i rarely practice my bullseye shooting,most of the time i shoot doubles , i'm kind of replicating the pace at the matches.

nest time i will practice my bullseye shooting skills,but i know that if i shoot slowly,aiming and press progressively till the shot goes, my casts are as accurate if not more than jacketed.

Ah, target moving explains it. I use to shoot Bullseye, until my spine problems got so bad that I devolved a weakness and uncontrollable shake in my right arm and hand, tests showed it was nerve damage that was permanent, "There's no going back Bob" (you'll recognize that if your a fan of the walking dead :) ) After a while frustration took over and the fun was gone, I walked away. I was inching up and out of Expert class when it all went to hell, now I can't hold a tight group like that now to save my *** but I can still hit a melon at gun fighting distance so good enough for every day carry. At least I have plaques and metals to remind me of those good days, I really miss the sport and the good people I met.

Good combo of sports you chose, I once read, a person who master's the skills of Bullseye and ipsc style shooting is someone to be reckoned with, I think that's pretty spot on.

Petander
08-12-2018, 06:42 AM
i know that if i shoot slowly,aiming and press progressively till the shot goes, my casts are as accurate if not more than jacketed.

My Hi-Tek 9mm is much more accurate than cheap bulk j-bullets. And 45-70 Hi-Tek I shoot clays @ 75 meters just fine,having almost too much fun.

CamoWhamo
08-13-2018, 05:56 AM
I got my Old Gold in the mail this morning and got straight into making my first ever batch, a mixed lot of .44's for my 44-40's.

They came out great. It was much easier and less messy than i imagined. I did 3 coats but i'm sure 2 would have been ample. I just wanted to see what difference the 3rd coat made.

I will load them tomorrow and plan on getting to the range the following day.

I really hope they work well because even when doing 3 coats i was able to coat 170 boolits (5 pounds) in about the half the time i could lube them with the LAM II.

I'm using a Breville Smart Oven Pro and it works great. It has a convection fan and holds temperature well.
It was interesting to watch the first batch go in with just a slight stain and slowly turn to gold.

They passed the Acetone rub and smash test so i couldn't be more pleased with the results of my first batch.

They measured .435 after 3 coats. I sized them down to .432 with an NOE bushing type sizer and it needed much less effort than squeezing the bare lead bullets through the sizer.

Note to self. Don't mix boolits of the same caliber when coating with HiTek. They are hard to tell apart when sorting :-D

I really want silver bullets now. Is there a silver coming in the new colors being tested now?

glockfan
08-13-2018, 06:12 AM
woaw.another dude who found the recipe to turn lead into gold!!

seriously,i just love this color big time,so attractive .i have a good stash of it,and i plan to get gold 1035 so i have variety gold LOL...

did you lubed the boolits before sizing? i'm asking this cuz i tried resizing unlubed,and it wasn't pleasant at all,and i also fear for the coating kind of getting ripped off in the die.....

also,did you measured the diameter before-after the three coating ? curious to know what 3 coats adds to the diameter.

CamoWhamo
08-13-2018, 06:29 AM
did you lubed the boolits before sizing?

also,did you measured the diameter before-after the three coating? curious to know what 3 coats adds to the diameter.

I didn't lube them this time. I did order a bottle of the AquaLube but it didn't arrive in the package. Joe is sorting me out.

I thought they'd be harder and was going to just size one as a test but they went through so easy i had 50 done about 2 minutes.

The mold is .432 and they come out of the mold pretty much on the mark. My bore is .431 and i size them in the LAM II at .431 only because they don't make a .432 or .433 die for the LAM II. I'm happy that the HiTek adds a couple of thou as it gives me the option to size them larger with the NOE bushing dies.

HI-TEK
08-13-2018, 06:54 AM
[QUOTE=glockfan;4432552]woaw.another dude who found the recipe to turn lead into gold!!

seriously,i just love this color big time,so attractive .i have a good stash of it,and i plan to get gold 1035 so i have variety gold LOL...

Glockfan,
If you love Old Gold, you will love Gold 1035. This is a brilliant gold.
New gold, just recently tested is TMG Gold. This outshines all other gold colours, and is brilliant in sunlight.
BUT, bad news is, that it is two and a half times price of other coatings.
This site will not let me load picture, as it says that picture is too large.

May be Ausglock can load it.

Just over 1 kilo was made, and despite price, it sold instantly.
I suppose what was of interest is that 1 kilo, using 2 coats should cover 120,000 -140,000 projectiles, so price aspect was less of a concern as each cast will cost $0.0011 for
applied coating, (about $1.10 per 1000)

glockfan
08-14-2018, 05:35 AM
[QUOTE=glockfan;4432552]woaw.another dude who found the recipe to turn lead into gold!!

Glockfan,
If you love Old Gold, you will love Gold 1035. This is a brilliant gold.
New gold, just recently tested is TMG Gold. This outshines all other gold colours, and is brilliant in sunlight.
BUT, bad news is, that it is two and a half times price of other coatings.
This site will not let me load picture, as it says that picture is too large.

May be Ausglock can load it.

Just over 1 kilo was made, and despite price, it sold instantly.
I suppose what was of interest is that 1 kilo, using 2 coats should cover 120,000 -140,000 projectiles, so price aspect was less of a concern as each cast will cost $0.0011 for
applied coating, (about $1.10 per 1000)

euuu...can you put my name in line for that TMG gold please lol? that new kinda gold is intriguing. couldn't care less about the price,since you point out i would cover more peas with less product........and i'm sure trevor will be more than happy to get us drooling on the keyboard with his computer fu skills lol.

i think the name of my start up is imposing itself to me: '''the golden bullet company '''' LOL!!...sounds great to me

HI-TEK
08-14-2018, 06:00 AM
[QUOTE=HI-TEK;4432568]

euuu...can you put my name in line for that TMG gold please lol? that new kinda gold is intriguing. couldn't care less about the price,since you point out i would cover more peas with less product........and i'm sure trevor will be more than happy to get us drooling on the keyboard with his computer fu skills lol.

i think the name of my start up is imposing itself to me: '''the golden bullet company '''' LOL!!...sounds great to me

Glockfan,
I like that name, or I like also Goldfinger, or is that patented with James Bond movies, or even Midas Touch....???

On e company recycles Lead, and calls himself Waste -to-Gold. He is happy as, because he is inundated with orders from what I heard.

That TMG Gold, is really nice, and, I have already tried to get more so I can make some sample quantities of the TMG Gold. I have a few that want it.

Apparently, commercial packs of ingredients are several thousand dollars. Very much an enthusiasm killer.

Ausglock has not posted the TMG despite prompting.

Last time I spoke to Ausglock, I was glad I was far away from him, as he has a lurgy that crawls through telephones and infects all... He sounded bad, gravel voice.

glockfan
08-14-2018, 06:15 AM
joe,what are the reasons for TMG gold reaching such high price? is there additional ingredients that pile up so the price reflect it?

you said it kind of shine more than the other colors,is that means there's some more metal in it?

will wait till it becomes available so we can buy in larger amount. i'm going to produce my commercial boolits in gold livery only. that makes my production easier than having multiple colors ,and also it makes my production easy to ifdentify on a firing line.

the old gold cooks very easy, even diluting the first coat, once heat is on,it already turns gold. a thin first coat is misleading visually.some may think: '''.....well,the coverage is too thin, some boolits gets no juice....''''. wrong.

even if you think the juice hasn't reached some on the bottom of the bucket , it's only a visual thing. the minute heat is on,you realize that the boolits you were thinking got no contact with the product after the swirling part, are getting gold too. it doesn't take much.only a little amount is enough to seal them properly on the first coat.

HI-TEK
08-14-2018, 06:30 AM
joe, what are the reasons for TMG gold reaching such high price? is there additional ingredients that pile up so the price reflect it?

you said it kind of shine more than the other colors,is that means there's some more metal in it? No. more metallic added. The ingredients are a new technology components for high end market products and are priced accordingly. I tried it to see if it was stable in the coatings. I was surprised how effective it was.

will wait till it becomes available so we can buy in larger amount. I'm going to produce my commercial boolits in gold livery only. that makes my production easier than having multiple colors ,and also it makes my production easy to identify on a firing line.

the old gold cooks very easy, even diluting the first coat, once heat is on it already turns gold. a thin first coat is misleading visually, some may think: '''.....well, the coverage is too thin, some boolits gets no juice....''''. wrong. This is just as easy to apply as all others. Results are just more user appealing.
If you look at Gunmetal, the mixture is totally does not indicate what is final colour you will get. Baking actually develops the colour, which ranges from Dark green to almost Black/green.

even if you think the juice hasn't reached some on the bottom of the bucket , it's only a visual thing. the minute heat is on,you realize that the boolits you were thinking got no contact with the product after the swirling part, are getting gold too. it doesn't take much, only a little amount is enough to seal them properly on the first coat.

I think Petander also touched on this point, as well with others, who actually discovered that about 2 thou works. Petander used I think 3 coats(very diluted mixtures) to get his finish.

Ausglock
08-14-2018, 06:45 AM
TMG Gold

https://i.imgur.com/a6l6P3a.jpg
I have coated a few 1000 125gn Conicals to run through my Trubor at major power factor to see how it holds up with a 4 port Comp.
Also coated 1000 135gn RN for the STI Tac 5 for Std Div Minor.

HI-TEK
08-14-2018, 07:11 AM
TMG Gold

https://i.imgur.com/a6l6P3a.jpg
I have coated a few 1000 125gn Conicals to run through my Trubor at major power factor to see how it holds up with a 4 port Comp.
Also coated 1000 135gn RN for the STI Tac 5 for Std Div Minor.

Ausglock,
Looking carefully, I just noticed, that mixture looks nothing like the finished product.
The liquid mixture looks like murky Caramel colour. How weird.....

Ausglock
08-14-2018, 07:49 AM
Just the lighting. The liquid is very shiny gold...

Petander
08-14-2018, 04:27 PM
I think Petander also touched on this point, as well with others, who actually discovered that about 2 thou works. Petander used I think 3 coats(very diluted mixtures) to get his finish.

Yes thats's correct: especially my contaminated alloy loves a diluted first coat after a HCL wash. I have two bottles of everything now, the diluted is for the first coat. It has 30 ml added denatured alcohol to the standard 100ml/20 grams -mix.

Just made some green 45-70 ones that way, fantastic bonding.

I don't normally use gas checks,these are old sized,lubed and gc:d bullets that I cleaned for Hi-Tek.

HI-TEK
08-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Can I invite all persons to please post pictures of any captured Hi-Tek coated projectiles, to see what the fired cast looks like.
I am interested in all calibres fired from as many guns as possible.
Thanks all in advance

HI-TEK
08-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Yes thats's correct: especially my contaminated alloy loves a diluted first coat after a HCL wash. I have two bottles of everything now, the diluted is for the first coat. It has 30 ml added denatured alcohol to the standard 100ml/20 grams -mix.

Just made some green 45-70 ones that way, fantastic bonding.

I don't normally use gas checks,these are old sized,lubed and gc:d bullets that I cleaned for Hi-Tek.

Ptander
Have you any captured shot cast that can be photographed. I would like to examine a magnified surface after the alloys were shot in various guns.
Also, any borescope pictures after shooting coated alloys, and wipe tests to show what residues were inside barrel.

Grmps
08-14-2018, 07:02 PM
Using the tumble coater I posted earlier, the rack and fan does a great job of both drying and cooling boolits
https://i.imgur.com/mLBMrYx.jpg

I like to do 5 or 6 trays at a time, works out great for cycling through the coating/drying/preheating on top of the oven before baking, baking and cooling cycle.
Never failed a smash/rub test doing it this way

HI-TEK
08-15-2018, 03:31 AM
https://i.imgur.com/mLBMrYx.jpg

Grmps
great results. They certainly look well done. You have applied just enough coating without over use.
It will be interesting to get results of shooting these.

CamoWhamo
08-15-2018, 04:54 AM
An old cartridge from 1873.

The same powder charge, the same bullet, but one is lubed the the traditional way and the other with this modern Hi-Teknology.

Which bullet will reign supreme :-D

Loads being tested
44-40
New Starline Brass.
220gn Accurate Molds 43-220C sized at .432 (bore is .431)
Load 1. 8gn of Unique
Load 2. 16gn 2400

Traditional lube is LBT Blue Soft
Hi-Tek is Old Gold

Rifles are Miroku/Winchester Model 92's.

HI-TEK
08-15-2018, 05:27 AM
An old cartridge from 1873.

The same powder charge, the same bullet, but one is lubed the the traditional way and the other with this modern Hi-Teknology.

Which bullet will reign supreme :-D

Loads being tested
44-40
New Starline Brass.
220gn Accurate Molds 43-220C sized at .432 (bore is .431)
Load 1. 8gn of Unique
Load 2. 16gn 2400

Traditional lube is LBT Blue Soft
Hi-Tek is Old Gold

Rifles are Miroku/Winchester Model 92's.

CamoWhamo,

The coating looks great, but a little over cooked. No problem at all, as long as it passes all tests OK.
When loading and crimping, be careful that inside edge of case is not pressed too much onto alloy, as it can cause shaving of alloy.
I don't know if you bevelled internal edge of case or not.
Guys on this forum can advise you further.

CamoWhamo
08-15-2018, 05:50 AM
CamoWhamo,

The coating looks great, but a little over cooked. No problem at all, as long as it passes all tests OK.

Thanks for the heads up.

Is it better to reduce the time or the temp?

These were with the oven set at 200c for 10 minutes.

My oven has pre-sets rather than fine adjustments.
There is a setting for 192c (375f) Should i try that?

I have tested the oven with my casting thermometer and an oven thermometer inside and they both confirmed the oven's temp matched what was set.

Petander
08-15-2018, 06:04 AM
Ptander
Have you any captured shot cast that can be photographed. I would like to examine a magnified surface after the alloys were shot in various guns.
Also, any borescope pictures after shooting coated alloys, and wipe tests to show what residues were inside barrel.

Will do some berm diggin'.

My 9mm barrel is ridiculously clean with Hi-Tek & 3N37. 45-70 & ,N130 I have cleaned with five dry patches every 50 rounds or so. Only burning residue. I have verified the mind boggling , nonexisting 45-70 leading with Foul Out,The Dip and brass brush... it doesn't lead at all with the correct size.

Undersized 457 bullets gave some thin leading at the muzzle end, I found many from years back and coated them. They shot fine and the very slight leading didn't build up. Just a normal brush/oil cleaning handled it. My correct size is .4595.

In 9mm Tangwang I can shoot .357 and .358, nothing in the barrel. 358 being very accurate.

I feel like having an endless free supply of premium 45-70 bullets now. I can shoot clays @ 75 meters with a Marlin SBL all day (factory rough bore!)

Petander
08-15-2018, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

Is it better to reduce the time or the temp?

These were with the oven set at 200c for 10 minutes.

Your cooking looks like mine. How much does your temp drop when you load your bullets in?

I have a powerful oven and my temp drops to only 192° C when I load,I get slightly overcooked bullets in seven minutes. It's back to 200°C in two minutes. I've been thinking about letting the temp drop a little more in the beginning,instead of a shorter time.

My bullets are 55°C when I put them in,being dried and pre-warmed on top of another oven.

pkchwy
08-15-2018, 07:08 AM
I just got my order in the mail and i am going to try and make some old gold projectiles this weekend,

Ausglock
08-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Cam.
Don't change anything.
If it is working, leave it alone.
But..... you can try 195 for 12

Grmps
08-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Cam if you chrono'd the 2 boolits you probably found the HiTek was faster. the Hitek has much less smoke, leaves you with a clean barrel and didn't gunk up you dies/fingers :)

Petander
08-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Cam.

But..... you can try 195 for 12

195°C / 12 min worked good for me, I'm trying to get back from overbaking to get the colors the way they are supposed to be. Got a nice Black Cherry batch with a hint of gold right now. Tests ok. Thanks!

In 200°C /12 min these would be all black in my oven. Even 7min/200°C makes them a little dark, very good shooters though. I've experimented up to 215°C ,coating works and no fear of underbaking... but no nice colours either at those temps.

Every oven is an individual,of course. My temp @195°C is the same from the beginning to the end, no initial temp drop at all. Because the oven is 215 °C before I open the door and 2kW power helps,too.

EDIT: I tried 195/12 with Kryptonite Green and it got completely toasted into bronze. I need to start making notes.

EDIT2: While at it, I gave those another green coat 195@°C/8 min. Looks more green.

Me being the Official Mystery Metal Man, my bakings may differ from yours because of my contaminated alloy. All these shoot clean and great though!

CamoWhamo
08-17-2018, 03:05 AM
I just got home from an extended testing session at the range comparing the Lubed bullets Vs Hi-Tek coated.

2 identical Winchester (Miroku) model 92's in 44-40 with .431 bores. Both of these rifles have previously shot the same loads consistently in terms of velocities, ES, SD and accuracy.

Rifle No1 fired the Lubed bullets.
Rifle No2 was given a thorough clean and fired the Hi-Tek coated bullets.

The bullet used was the Accurate Molds 43-220C.

Load No1 was using 8.0gn of Unique.
The lubed bullets averaged 1192fps.
The coated bullets averaged 1184fps.
That's statistically insignificant loss of 8fps.

Both of Load No1 performed consistently.

Load No2 was using 16gn of Alliant 2400
The lubed bullets averaged 1282fps
The coated bullets averaged 1336fps.
That's a gain of 54fps.

The lubed load was very inconsistent with a large extreme spread. I actually shot 2 strings of this to verify because the first 10 shots were so spread out.
The coated load was much more consistent with a lower extreme spread.

Accuracy was good for both but the Hi-Tek target has a single hole half the size of the target shot with lubed bullets.

I was shooting left today, probably due the light coming from my left side.

The barrel of rifle No 2 (Hi-Tek) was basically clean after 90 shots fired throughout the day.
A single pass with a bore snake and it looks spotless.
There is some shavings accumulated at the bottom of the receiver. I suspect these might be from feeding through the loading gate or being cycled through the action. The magazine follower also has an old gold stain on it now.

Ausglock
08-17-2018, 03:25 AM
Yep. My Marlin 1894 44Mag does the same thing. Loading gate takes a bit off the pills. I get green in the receiver.

HI-TEK
08-17-2018, 06:29 AM
I just got home from an extended testing session at the range comparing the Lubed bullets Vs Hi-Tek coated.

2 identical Winchester (Miroku) model 92's in 44-40 with .431 bores. Both of these rifles have previously shot the same loads consistently in terms of velocities, ES, SD and accuracy.

Rifle No1 fired the Lubed bullets.
Rifle No2 was given a thorough clean and fired the Hi-Tek coated bullets.

The bullet used was the Accurate Molds 43-220C.

Load No1 was using 8.0gn of Unique.
The lubed bullets averaged 1192fps.
The coated bullets averaged 1184fps.
That's statistically insignificant loss of 8fps.

Both of Load No1 performed consistently.

Load No2 was using 16gn of Alliant 2400
The lubed bullets averaged 1282fps
The coated bullets averaged 1336fps.
That's a gain of 54fps.

The lubed load was very inconsistent with a large extreme spread. I actually shot 2 strings of this to verify because the first 10 shots were so spread out.
The coated load was much more consistent with a lower extreme spread.

Accuracy was good for both but the Hi-Tek target has a single hole half the size of the target shot with lubed bullets.

I was shooting left today, probably due the light coming from my left side.

The barrel of rifle No 2 (Hi-Tek) was basically clean after 90 shots fired throughout the day.
A single pass with a bore snake and it looks spotless.
There is some shavings accumulated at the bottom of the receiver. I suspect these might be from feeding through the loading gate or being cycled through the action. The magazine follower also has an old gold stain on it now.

CamoWhamo
That is a great report. It is detailed so all can see what happens with various loads and accuracy, and comparing lube and coated alloy..
Just curious, what was distance to the target?
It is interesting that both lubed and coated pills shot left side of target. Could that be just an adjustment being required?

CamoWhamo
08-17-2018, 06:53 AM
CamoWhamo
Just curious, what was distance to the target?
It is interesting that both lubed and coated pills shot left side of target. Could that be just an adjustment being required?

Range was indoors at 25m, fired off the bench, with iron sights.

Don't know why my bench shots were all slightly left on both rifles. I presumed it was because the single light source was to my left so that side of my front blades were well lit which tricks the eye to pulling that way.

I fired 30 other Hi-Tek bullets off-hand and they were all slightly right, which destroys my theory :???:

HI-TEK
08-17-2018, 07:19 AM
Range was indoors at 25m, fired off the bench, with iron sights.

Don't know why my bench shots were all slightly left on both rifles. I presumed it was because the single light source was to my left so that side of my front blades were well lit which tricks the eye to pulling that way.

I fired 30 other Hi-Tek bullets off-hand and they were all slightly right, which destroys my theory :???:

CamoWhamo
That is interesting, I wonder why bench rest is biased left and freehand is to the right?
Any way, you have done well with the accuracy you obtained at 25 Yards. That is great grouping.

I have reports of 100 and 200 yard shots being in a bout 3 to 4 inch groups with coated cast.
I was told that commercial jacketed ammo produces similar grouping at those distances.

glockfan
08-17-2018, 07:59 AM
195°C / 12 min worked good for me, I'm trying to get back from overbaking to get the colors the way they are supposed to be. Got a nice Black Cherry batch with a hint of gold right now. Tests ok. Thanks!

In 200°C /12 min these would be all black in my oven. Even 7min/200°C makes them a little dark, very good shooters though. I've experimented up to 215°C ,coating works and no fear of underbaking... but no nice colours either at those temps.

Every oven is an individual,of course. My temp @195°C is the same from the beginning to the end, no initial temp drop at all. Because the oven is 215 °C before I open the door and 2kW power helps,too.

EDIT: I tried 195/12 with Kryptonite Green and it got completely toasted into bronze. I need to start making notes.

EDIT2: While at it, I gave those another green coat 195@°C/8 min. Looks more green.

Me being the Official Mystery Metal Man, my bakings may differ from yours because of my contaminated alloy. All these shoot clean and great though!

something regarding the color......i kind of protect the boolits from the coil's direct radiation to make sure it's the radiant temperature only that gets to the boolits.i noticed that even left much more time in the oven,mine never turn burnt-black ,it's only the color that goes darker to a certain point....then it stabilize and the color stay in the same tonal even if i leaves them well past the 15 minutes mark.

i set the oven at 450f waiyt for it to reach that point and slip the tray in.leave the setting temp as is, because the temp drops on openings. then the temp get back at 400,it's only then i set the temp back at 400 to make sure it won't go too hot. i don't really let them in for an predetermined time,i eyeball the color through the window's glass ; i noticed i'm getting the nicest color at about the 16 minutes mark.

Avenger442
08-17-2018, 03:39 PM
I have reports of 100 and 200 yard shots being in about 3 to 4 inch groups with coated cast.
I was told that commercial jacketed ammo produces similar grouping at those distances.

Joe
Hi Tek coating can be shot at under an inch at 100 yards. But there is a whole lot of other things, besides your great coating, that have to be done to make that happen.

I was at the range yesterday with the 45-70 and some 405 grain bullets coated with Hi Tek testing a new powder and different loads. Second round of five shots came in just over 2 1/2". Now I would like to have under an inch so I'm not where I want to go yet. But I can use Hi Tek as a part of the process to get there.

Obviously have some scope adjusting to do:-D

Grmps
08-18-2018, 06:03 PM
Has anyone tried spraying on HiTek?
Like for larger / odd shaped objects?

HI-TEK
08-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Has anyone tried spraying on HiTek?
Like for larger / odd shaped objects?

GRMPS,
Years ago, I had a guy apply the Gold, and Bronze coatings to Terracotta Pots. HE warm air dried them and baked them
He ended up with a finish that looked as if the pots were made of Metal. It also sealed the pores of the pot so he said that was a benefit so plants would not dry out so fast.
Sorry for off subject blog
Old Bears Hair also posted some pictures of arrow type heads painted Gold. Most interesting.

smlekid
08-19-2018, 03:21 AM
Had a post shoot today and recovered a couple of 45 Boolits
https://i.imgur.com/LLyDvHN.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/vbTGhhe.jpg?1

these were cast from nearly pure lead with just a little bit of wheel weights
mould was one of NOE's 230gr hollow point load was 6grs of unique shot into a 40mm thick piece of laminate building material (mdf?) at 15 metres
our team of 3 shooters managed to knock it over in 56 seconds all shooting 1911's in 45
this is the actual post we shot at
https://i.imgur.com/5ZBjHP7.jpg?1
a view down range
https://i.imgur.com/5D2yUK6.jpg?1

benellinut
08-19-2018, 03:59 AM
Had a post shoot today and recovered a couple of 45 Boolits
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i193/smlekid/20180819_160817.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/smlekid/media/20180819_160817.jpg.html)
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i193/smlekid/20180819_160826.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/smlekid/media/20180819_160826.jpg.html)
these were cast from nearly pure lead with just a little bit of wheel weights
mould was one of NOE's 230gr hollow point load was 6grs of unique shot into a 40mm thick piece of laminate building material (mdf?) at 15 metres
our team of 3 shooters managed to knock it over in 56 seconds all shooting 1911's in 45
this is the actual post we shot at
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i193/smlekid/20180819_113714.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/smlekid/media/20180819_113714.jpg.html)
a view down range
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i193/smlekid/20180819_113022.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/smlekid/media/20180819_113022.jpg.html)

Man, that's a brute test with soft lead, that was some hard tough wood! I'd call that a success for Hi-Tek, no signs of flaking there! How the bores look with that soft lead, any leading in the groves?

Ausglock
08-19-2018, 05:22 AM
I love a good woodchop.

benellinut
08-19-2018, 06:17 AM
I love a good woodchop.

Look at them splinters, that's how to make toothpicks the fun way! LoL

smlekid
08-19-2018, 07:27 AM
It looks like I have some Leading kind of expected I would with that soft an alloy perhaps 38 rounds in 56 seconds contributed [smilie=1:
I was looking for expansion I normally run 50/50 WW PB and don't have any leading issues

benellinut
08-19-2018, 08:05 AM
It looks like I have some Leading kind of expected I would with that soft an alloy perhaps 38 rounds in 56 seconds contributed [smilie=1:
I was looking for expansion I normally run 50/50 WW PB and don't have any leading issues

I would say that's to be expected for soft lead, in my book anyways. Looks like the coating did it's part, even next to where the lead is ripped from crushing & wood fibers the coating can be seen, it didn't flake off. Shot a lot of lead over the years, a little leading never bothers me, a Lewis Lead Remover cleans it faster then cleaning powder fouling with Hoppes, no big deal. I'd be more then happy with what you got there using that soft of lead.

HI-TEK
08-19-2018, 08:33 AM

smlekid
That's impressive. Do you know what is coating thickness in the tested cast?
I was wondering, after you get a thin well bonded first coat, can you apply two extra coats, which can be thicker. (Of course bake each extra ones first before next application)
I am thinking, that by getting about 2-3.5 thou coating over that soft Lead, alloy may (or may not) survive with that extra coating thickness, and stop the Leading at the end of Barrel.
The only way to see if there is any benefit is to try it? If it works, then great. If not, not much is lost.

glockfan
08-19-2018, 08:38 AM
guys...i have to ask you what is the best lead remover, OR a good substitute. i have very light leading in my glocks's grooves due to the fact that i'm shooting .356 diameter in them ( i normally feed'em with .357 ) from time to time. i don't care at all about some leading after 6-700 boolits ,it's only in the grooves at the end of the barrel, but i'd like to get a product that works kind of instantly,that i don't need to pull the brush out then swinging it in for minutes.

any advices?

OldBearHair
08-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Seems that applying two more coats of Hi-Tek Gold on those .356 boolits would fix the problem. Maybe bring them up to around .357 It seemed to work for me. How is that for not making any direct statements? LOL

OldBearHair
08-19-2018, 08:57 AM
Back to the subject, I found a 20" roll of fine screen copper at the junk yard. I cut small square to fit the barrel and push in the barrel and remove the copper patch. If possible run in the barrel from receiver end. Yall know how to do that, huh (w/Texas accent)

Petander
08-19-2018, 08:59 AM
guys...i have to ask you what is the best lead remover, OR a good substitute. i have very light leading in my glocks's grooves due to the fact that i'm shooting .356 diameter in them ( i normally feed'em with .357 ) from time to time. i don't care at all about some leading after 6-700 boolits ,it's only in the grooves at the end of the barrel, but i'd like to get a product that works kind of instantly,that i don't need to pull the brush out then swinging it in for minutes.

any advices?

The Dip. But only for stainless barrels.

My mix is 50/50 hydrogen peroxide(30%) and distilled vinegar. Here is a cast bullet I dropped in a bottle cap with The Dip. This happens in seconds,lead dissolves quickly.

Just plug the barrel and pour The Dip in. But stainless only.

HI-TEK
08-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Back to the subject, I found a 20" roll of fine screen copper at the junk yard. I cut small square to fit the barrel and push in the barrel and remove the copper patch. If possible run in the barrel from receiver end. Yall know how to do that, huh (w/Texas accent)

OldBearHair
That is great thinking and very practical. Essentially you made a Copper sanding mesh that is hard enough to clean off Lead, but not hard enough to affect the Bore.
Great advice, and is cheap, and uses no corrosive chemicals.

HI-TEK
08-19-2018, 09:04 AM

My mix is 50/50 hydrogen peroxide(30%) and distilled vinegar. Here is a cast bullet I dropped in a bottle cap with The Dip. This happens in seconds,lead dissolves quickly.

Petander,
That is impressive.
I am thinking you are a mad scientist with many secrets up your sleeve.:drinks:

glockfan
08-19-2018, 09:10 AM

thanks a lot petander.will try this . it's just that i cast some for couple folks at the range,my friend has a shadow who like the .356, and since i have loads of it as well as .357's,i may shoot a couple boxes after i'm done with my usual 357's. then i'm getting a little leading. it's a testament as how hi tek prevent leading. i can imagine what my barrel would look like shooting .356's without the coating. lead would probably flow out after only 200 rounds lolll.

benellinut
08-19-2018, 09:13 AM

any advices?

Aside from the mechanical Lewis remover I have had really great luck with this foaming remover. Left overnight the lead will turn mushy gray on the edges and help it lift out of the bore, may have to repeat on heavy leading but it sure makes it simple and easy, it will also do the same for wadding from shotgun bores. This is the only one I have used, others may work as well or better? But this I know has worked better then I expected. https://www.amazon.com/Gunslick-92098-Foaming-Cleaner-12-Ounce/dp/B000U3Z5TI

Instructions say you can not use it on a gas operated semi, you can, you just have to take the gun apart first otherwise the foam will work into the gas system and gum it up if left there. Make sure the barrel will set level so the foam won't run out one end and lay down a barrier to protect your bench, I use a trash bag with some newspaper on top, when done I can roll up the plastic & paper and drop it in the trash can.

I bought an old Nagaut M44 that was loaded with fouling and some pitting, without fear I could do more damage I put this foam to work on it. It took many, many repeated over night soakings, brushing and replying but the cleanup in the end was amazing. It got under the copper fouling along the rifling, lifted it so it would brush out, then came out old powder fouling that had been covered and encapsulated by the copper fouling, I'm sold on this stuff. But for the end of the day pistol shooting lead bullets, a quick pull with the Lewis will take out any lead and keep it from building up. Never tried it on a polygonal barrel but I can't see why the Lewis wouldn't as good and maybe even better then with sharp rifling.

Another tip that might help some, I take an Otis pull through kit with CLP to the range, after the last shot while the bore is still warm I'll pull a few soaked patches and leave a coating in the bore letting it work during the trip home, any edge to cleaning I'll take. I also take smaller patches, double it over, put one against the chamber and slowly close the action on the patch to keep crud from running inside and roll up one lightly coated patch and tuck it in the muzzle, keeping the gun bags clean.

Thanks my 2 cents! Let us know what ends up working for you! I'm always looking for something better! :-D

benellinut
08-19-2018, 09:23 AM
The Lewis Lead Remover at Brownells, https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

They also have a video they posted on how to use it, see the screen capture below showing where to click on the video on Brownells page. I'm sure you can find more videos on youtube.

benellinut
08-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Rather then clog up this thread with removing lead chat I started a new one, there are a couple good videos, one showing good close up shots of the lead pulled with the Lewis and another video showing the old Chore Boy trick I used before getting the Lewis, here ya go --> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?366183-Getting-the-lead-out!&p=4437107#post4437107

glockfan
08-19-2018, 05:52 PM
mixed some 30% HP and vinegar ,so next time i'm shooting the .356 will try this method. i might also buy some of the black hope 9....and i forgot i had a bottle of outers nitro bore cleaner...not that i'm waiting for a miracle from it
, but i'm lazy,i'm trying to take the easiest path possible ha!

Tazza
08-19-2018, 06:16 PM
You beat me to it Trevor, i was about to say good 'ol wood chop. We did this for steel challenge about 5 years ago for our xmas shoot. Awesome fun.

Those are some mean looking hollow points right there :)

Gremlin460
08-20-2018, 03:14 AM
Dont ask me how to remove lead, cause I never get any lead fouling. Correctly coated cast and sized, seen no lead in barrel for over 5 years.

:Fire: :happy dance: :2_high5:

Petander
08-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Sometimes I see people writing about how coating with Hi-Tek takes a long time.

I just double coated a batch of bullets and made these at the same time. Took about an hour - I also had a beer and a cigar and a good time.

Some people spend that time for a beer and a cigar only.

Grmps
08-21-2018, 03:13 PM
Dont ask me how to remove lead, cause I never get any lead fouling. Correctly coated cast and sized, seen no lead in barrel for over 5 years.

:Fire: :happy dance: :2_high5:

You have to actually shoot the gun to get lead in it :bigsmyl2::2 drunk buddies:

OldBearHair
08-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Similar to one of my posts that stated casting a 100 or so 126 grain .356 boolits plus three coats of HiTek Gold from 6pm to 9pm / no beer or cigar.LOL

benellinut
08-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Sometimes I see people writing about how coating with Hi-Tek takes a long time.

I just double coated a batch of bullets and made these at the same time. Took about an hour - I also had a beer and a cigar and a good time.

Some people spend that time for a beer and a cigar only.

Sounds like a good time spent, I really miss my cigars, I smoked cigs too, but I took up vaping six years ago and it's worked, I can vape guilty free and even enjoy it! But no more cigars or smoking after going through a round with throat cancer. Fortunately it was on a vocal cord that caused a raspy voice and prompted me to see my doc who caught early, doc said if it had been elsewhere in my throat it was likely it wouldn't have been noticed until much bigger, higher risk of killing it. They were able to kill it with radiation, wasn't fun, burned the living hell out of the inside and outside of my throat but far better then the alternative. Four years behind me on that, one more to go then they tell me I'll be fully clear of risk of it returning, IF I don't smoke again!

Don't mean to be a downer, just makes me cringe when I see people smoke, that was me and I said it would never happen to me... I rather you resent me then not say anything in hopes that I might help just one person. Now I'm out of here before it gets any more uncomfortable, no need to reply, back to coating boolits.:-D

Petander
08-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Smoking is stupid but it can be fun... cigar is a bit different, I only smoke in summer these days. The same with beer. Cold,sober winters which I like a lot as well.

I've had long breaks on both for a long time, last time three years no cigar and I got a heart attack. So I thought well, I better smoke an occasional cigar while I'm still alive.

No downer intended.

EDIT: I really like brass molds these days, very easy to keep them in the good temp range with my not-very-hot , tin-rich alloy.

Gremlin460
08-21-2018, 07:04 PM
You have to actually shoot the gun to get lead in it :bigsmyl2::2 drunk buddies:

:groner:

Tazza
08-21-2018, 07:15 PM
I'd go insane if i didn't get a shot away at least a few times a month.

Not that anyone would notice me going insane, most think i'm already there.

benellinut
08-21-2018, 07:30 PM

LoL, your not alone in that club my friend. :drinks: I've always had one foot in the "you've never grown up" club to now the other foot in the "your loosing it" club, and that's right from the wife's mouth. I remind her how I told her the day we married her life would never get boring with me around. :lol: Be careful what you wish for dear!

(ETA: Note my avatar and sig line?)

Tazza
08-21-2018, 07:38 PM
hahaha i like that one.

When i tell my wife she is weird, she make sure to inform me that i knew what i was in for.... Sadly this is true, and i met her parents, so it's my own fault. Yet i make sure to add my own weirdness to the mix, she rolls her eyes and walks off.

I like the avatar, so very true.

Avenger442
08-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Beer was not my D.O.C. (drink of choice or drug of choice take your pick) back forty years ago when I quit. But the black label Jack Daniels was. Since then I have realized that the old saying "you can't trust a man that doesn't drink" has actually been the direct opposite in my life. Now, stopping smoking was a different story. It took fifteen more years. It was cigarettes in the end. But it was a pipe and cigars that got me started. All these years I have never regretted quitting either one.

I'm headed back to the range with the 45-70 and some Hi Tek bullets. More load testing with a new powder. I love this coating. It's been almost five years now and I have not regretted using it. You guys that are reading this that are just starting to use it, Hi Tek is well worth the effort. You can have what ever accuracy you want with it. And no lead in your barrels. I want to learn how to shoot out to 600 yards and see how it does. Right now I'm a long way from that. But working on it.

HI-TEK
08-22-2018, 04:53 AM

How cruel... Poor old grem is flat out making best ever sizing machines, and probably has not got time to enjoy what he likes....

glockfan
08-22-2018, 06:12 AM
i'm getting a new long range precision rifle soon.it's gonna be a 6.5 creedmore. plan to try my luck with casts and 3-4 coats of hi tek. pretty sure iM gonna be able to extract some pretty decent accuracy out of my cast. i will feed it with jacketed peas at first to be able of establish a comparison chart....now i know that my handgun boolits are as accurate as jacketed,i don't see why a boolit pushed a little faster (lol) wouldn't provide the same results .

https://stock.nioa.com.au/uploads/product/10BASEL65C.jpg

Ausglock
08-22-2018, 07:47 AM
6.5 Gaymore?????
If it can't be done with a 7.62, it's not worth doing.

Petander
08-22-2018, 09:49 AM
6,5 Gaymore! ��

I handled a nice AR in 6,5 Gaymore last week. Didn't make me think of cast boolits really.

Here's my kitchen,cooking ingredients for big cast boolits. I clean my mystery alloy outside in a cast iron pot,this is the mixroom.

kevin c
08-22-2018, 12:48 PM
That is a honking big slab o' lead in that pot. I have something that size and the only reason I can pick it up is that it is just 57# of recovered wave solder.

Er, you're only "cooking" lead on that stove, right?

Petander
08-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Er, you're only "cooking" lead on that stove, right?

Yes,I mix alloys an make small ingots for an RCBS pot that I cast with. The oven can be used for baking.

Petander
08-22-2018, 05:26 PM
i'm getting a new long range precision rifle soon.it's gonna be a 6.5 creedmore. plan to try my luck with casts and 3-4 coats of hi tek. pretty sure iM gonna be able to extract some pretty decent accuracy out of my cast. i will feed it with jacketed peas at first to be able of establish a comparison chart....now i know that my handgun boolits are as accurate as jacketed,i don't see why a boolit pushed a little faster (lol) wouldn't provide the same results .

This will be very interesting. I shoot fast 30 cals long range but I never thought cast for those. 308 subsonic works great with cast though, I even have .311 Hi-Tek coated bullets now but haven't tried them yet.

Stephen Cohen
08-22-2018, 05:36 PM

Being an Australian you must realise you left yourself wide open with this post Tazza, haha. Regards Stephen

Tazza
08-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Stephen - i do indeed, Just depends on how many others picked up on it too :)

smlekid
08-22-2018, 06:15 PM
smlekid
That's impressive. Do you know what is coating thickness in the tested cast?
I was wondering, after you get a thin well bonded first coat, can you apply two extra coats, which can be thicker. (Of course bake each extra ones first before next application)
I am thinking, that by getting about 2-3.5 thou coating over that soft Lead, alloy may (or may not) survive with that extra coating thickness, and stop the Leading at the end of Barrel.
The only way to see if there is any benefit is to try it? If it works, then great. If not, not much is lost.
HI-TEK I would guess around .002" that colour is either Texas tea or black gold I swapped some of my candy apple red for it with another caster locally
I don't get leading with my normal alloy in the 45 (50/50 WW PB)
I am sizing to .451" in a .449" barrel I will try an extra coat may be a while I wont need these boolits till next year!!!

benellinut
08-22-2018, 06:27 PM
Being an Australian you must realise you left yourself wide open with this post Tazza, haha. Regards Stephen

Stephen - i do indeed, Just depends on how many others picked up on it too :)

I take it neither of you have spent much time around us "rednecks" (country boys) here in the USA? I don't think you'd feel out of place, we ain't like city folk and never want to be! :drinks:

Tazza
08-22-2018, 06:54 PM
I take it neither of you have spent much time around us "rednecks" (country boys) here in the USA? I don't think you'd feel out of place, we ain't like city folk and never want to be! :drinks:

Do redneck like folk that we shoot with count? Just ask the media over here, we are all irresponsible firearm owners that plan on killing everyone.

Never become a boring city person, much more fun being a "redneck"

dansedgli
08-22-2018, 07:29 PM
I got some bad leading in my shadow 2 when I was shooting undersized casts.

I ordered the lewis lead remover. It took ages to arrive and in the meantime I had started shooting 357's out of it. Went to clean it and it only took 1 pass with a pull through bore snake to clean it up.

Those 357 122 flat points did the trick on the weekend. Beat a couple of production GM's and got myself a presidents medal.

Gremlin460
08-22-2018, 07:35 PM
How cruel... Poor old grem is flat out making best ever sizing machines, and probably has not got time to enjoy what he likes....

Almost factual , I am currently making piles of assorted cut steel for the next round of sizers. BUT I also have 300 rounds loaded for a trip to the range on sat morning.

Only making five AS/2's this time around.. thats all the orders I got :( , I need to make them last a shorter span of time. Lifetime is killing sales!

HI-TEK
08-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Almost factual , I am currently making piles of assorted cut steel for the next round of sizers. BUT I also have 300 rounds loaded for a trip to the range on sat morning.

Only making five AS/2's this time around.. thats all the orders I got :( , I need to make them last a shorter span of time. Lifetime is killing sales!

Grem,
Just a thought for what it is worth, you have a great manual sizer, but I am wondering if you may benefit by making two auto type sizers, one for small to medium sized casters, and another that is specifically for high speed production for commercial casters? I am sure that you may get a lot more interest if you can produce such units.
Also, can I make a suggestion to open an area as a vendor and sponsor on this site, and advertise what you can produce. You never know, you may have to start a large factory.

Grmps
08-22-2018, 09:06 PM
grem, if you didn't live under the world you'd probably sell more:happy dance:

HI-TEK
08-22-2018, 09:10 PM
grem, if you didn't live under the world you'd probably sell more

Grmps,
As far as we can tell, we are standing upright here, so we must be on top of the world....

Petander
08-23-2018, 07:59 AM
Me likes horizontal.

Can it be my mystery alloy that makes green look more overbaked than my other colours? Same bake and coating mix. 11 mins @ 195°C. Very good bonding. Green starts turning bronze at eight minutes,it will not pass wipe test at that point.

No big deal,just wondering.

Dang,I get an error message,can'post a pic:

Nah,made it even smaller but no dice now.

HI-TEK
08-23-2018, 09:10 AM
Me likes horizontal.

Can it be my mystery alloy that makes green look more overbaked than my other colours? Same bake and coating mix. 11 mins @ 195°C. Very good bonding. Green starts turning bronze at eight minutes,it will not pass wipe test at that point.

No big deal,just wondering.

Dang,I get an error message,can'post a pic:

Nah,made it even smaller but no dice now.

Petander,
without more information, my best guess is that the projectile coatings are being subjected to radiant heat. (Too close to heating element)
This in effect, can darken coatings quicker as heat is trying to get through coating into the Lead. Surfaces become super heated well above what you may think.
As I said, at this stage, it is just a guess. Which Green are you having this problem with?

glockfan
08-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Petander,
without more information, my best guess is that the projectile coatings are being subjected to radiant heat. (Too close to heating element)
This in effect, can darken coatings quicker as heat is trying to get through coating into the Lead. Surfaces become super heated well above what you may think.
As I said, at this stage, it is just a guess. Which Green are you having this problem with?

right on!.i experienced this phenom with zombie green. it doesn't take much to turn this color into black. even with a shield covering the elements, it gets darkened easily. my solution is i put the tray the highest possible away from the elements,reducing the radiant effect on the boolits.

OldBearHair
08-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Quote:Grmps,
As far as we can tell, we are standing upright here, so we must be on top of the world...

1963 Thule Greenland working on F102 airframe problems in the extreme cold at 70,000 feet. Land Air Inc. The Scientists there told us that we weighed more up there because we were close to the spinning axis of the earth. And our brain function was slower as in when you wrote your wife a letter you would leave out a lot of words. Learned quickly to reread and fill in what you left out. That was phenominal they said. Spending a year if tour duty was very difficult for our servicemen. We stayed three months and that was more than enough.,
And yes everyone seemed to stand straight up there too.

Avenger442
08-23-2018, 04:31 PM

Have you bought the mold or molds you are going to be using? I've got a chance at getting a new Howa HCR in 6.5 for about $350 under MSRP. I'm trying to see if I can spend the cash. And I would also like to shoot Hi Tek cast in it.

Petander
08-23-2018, 06:26 PM
right on!.i experienced this phenom with zombie green. it doesn't take much to turn this color into black. even with a shield covering the elements, it gets darkened easily. my solution is i put the tray the highest possible away from the elements,reducing the radiant effect on the boolits.

Yep,looks right. My green says Zombie but I recall Trevor said it is Kryptonite green. After seein my bullet pics. Gold,Purple and Bronze behave differently,they can take more overbaking before turning dark.

It's fine,I may look at my oven / temp. But all is good,my alloy finally works after I discovered HCL wash and I'm a happy camper.

But no pics for now,I wonder why I can't upload any?

glockfan
08-23-2018, 07:25 PM
But no pics for now,I wonder why I can't upload any?

there's a limit in the number of pics you're allowed to post a simple account gets you . i ''bought''' a membership,and it increase the number of pics you are allowed to post...