Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Inletting a swamped barrel advice

Inletting a swamped barrel advice

I have been entertaining building another flintlock and sorta figuring things out in my head . And one of the things I've always wanted is a lightweight swamped barrel . What I'm thinking about is a semi short lightweight 36 cal I've found a 36" mildly swamped barrel that would work .812 breach .700 at waist and .750 at muzzle . My issue is gonna be I don't have the talents or setup to build from a plank so I have to go the precarve route and most I've found are cut for the .812 (13/16)straight barrel . So would he be possible with acceptable results to pre stain and glue in thin strips of wood in the barrel channel where needed and then work it to fit the swamp profile ? To my mind there's not that much wood showing on that edge anyways once it's shaped to final form . Thoughts from the experienced ? The stock I was thinking about using is the Becks boys rifle from Pecatonica
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The problem you could run into, is if you take as much wood off the forend as you should, the strips would be likely to show. Sometimes it would work out, other times.....
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

What is a "swamped barrel?"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walla2 View Post
    What is a "swamped barrel?"
    AKA tapered and flared. It tapers down until a few inches from the end, then expands again to the muzzle. It's is like a tapered barrel, but the muzzle is left larger so the sights still line up. It is also how a lot of old guns were made.

Depending on how much you are willing to spend, every kit I looked at, they were willing to inlet a swamped barrel for me. I'm not sure how hard it would be to find a 36" swamped barrel though. Lots at 38" swamped, and quite a few at 31".

I doubt if there's a truly easy way. The barrel channel of the stock you buy would have to be smaller than the barrel you want to use for it's full length. Then it's the old method of coating the bottom of the barrel with inletting black or Prussian blue, setting it in the channel (on the channel to begin with) and giving it a couple of light whacks with a wooden mallet, removing the barrel, scraping away the areas where the black marked the wood, and then doing it all over again, many times, until it's where you want it to be. I know of no other way to get a truly custom fit.

DG

Have a stock inletted for your barrel? Couple places offer that service iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The problem you could run into, is if you take as much wood off the forend as you should, the strips would be likely to show. Sometimes it would work out, other times.....
    Very good point Sir . that's one issue I didn't think through . Maybe if it was inlet straight for 3/4"it would be easier as the gap would only be 1/32 or less per side at the waist . Thats about the thinkness I aim for at the top of the forestock .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!