Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 15gr .357 cast

Boolit Buddy

15gr .357 cast

I’m having some fun casting a few hot glue 357 projectiles, launching them with just primers in the basement. Yeah, ranges still closed in PA.

I tried loading to the cannelure and pushed a few deeper into the case. Deeper seems to work better. (Insert joke). Right now I’m using SPM primers and I drilled out the primer hole to max size.

Using my 4” GP100 for these. Question: can I try to use a SRM primer? Or could that be detrimental to the firing pin of my revolver? Do you think I could successfully push these thru my Marlin or Henry rifle with just a primer?

Last edited by TjB101; 04-14-2020 at 07:03 AM.

Since you're shooting them in your house, I suggest lead-free primers.

Boolit Mold
    Interesting way to clean the barrel

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nice! How many times can you fire them?

Boolit Grand Master
    Just a SWAG, but I think you should be OK with SRM primers since folks are using rifle primers in revolvers with hot 327 loads... I don’t believe you will harm your firing pin on a rifle primer assuming everything else is OK. Keep in mind, this is a SWAG on my part, but is based on a fair amount of input from this and other sources.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

No problem using small rifle primers in the handguns. That is done all the time.
    I am not certain if just a primer will let that boolit clear a rifle barrel. You can try it, but have a ramrod ready to hand.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the feedback ... I’ve got ten cases primed with SPM ... once used I will try rifle magnum and see it performs better.

To answer one of the questions above ... if you don’t loose the round you can reuse again. I’m going to try and wipe the bullet down with lithium grease and see if that helps with added compression. Seems I got the best ‘pop’ with the round shoved down quite a bit in the case.

Cheers and be safe all

TJ

Boolit Grand Master

Perfect excuse to buy a new mould.... You need to try a wadcutter !!!
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Perfect excuse to buy a new mould.... You need to try a wadcutter !!!
    Hmm.. sounds like something good to add. I like Lee molds, for the money. May have to look for a new toy.

I'm in the same boat as you shooting 45LC and 38Spl but I started with the rifle primers figuring they'd give a bit more zoot.
    I give a little swipe of petroleum jelly on the boolit (gloolit?) which worked fine in the pistols.
    I had a couple rounds which needed a second whack on the primer to get to fire using a Bodyguard revolver for the 38s and a Colt open top replica for the 45s.
    I did try the 38 in a little Webley rook rifle of mine and the gloolit only got about half way down the barrel, but my gloolits are bigger than standard.

In answer to Depaki, I've used mine about 5-6 times each and they are no worse for wear other than some scorching and ugliness.

Also, I think I've discovered that the majority of the fouling is from the primer!

I know what I am doing tomorrow!!

Boolit Mold
    You can substitute 38 Special brass with no issues.
    I cast, or rather poured, a bunch of 38 wadcutters from paraffin. pistol primers. Charter Arms 357 revolver. Neighborhood hounds had to find another yard to take a dump in.

Boolit Bub
    Any mold prep needed? Do you simply fill the cavities and cut the sprue when set?

I've messed around some with glue bullets in rifles in a 20 " 32 spl and mag primer it barely exited the barrel . In a 24" 30-06 went about 16-18" and stuck . Don't recommend indoors but I added 1 gr of Bullseye or red dot and shot fine .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by okshooter View Post
    Any mold prep needed? Do you simply fill the cavities and cut the sprue when set?
    A little Rem oil in the cavity with Qtip. I clamped the mold together with a clamp. Toss mold into freezer for a few minutes. Pop ‘em out and repeat. Gotta use a clamp. When you push glue gun into opening leave a little space for air to escape. If you are using a smaller craft gun wait 2, 3 minutes between filling each mold to let glue heat up.

I just sprayed the mold with a little Pam and after some experimentation found that the best method is to fill the cavities without using the sprue plate and once set, run a razor blade across the mold to cut the base of the gloolit flush.
    Makes really nice square bases and observing the setup during cooling is easier this way as well.
    Otherwise, you have to sort of press the nozzle of the glue gun into the sprue plate, and in a way, pressurize the mold. I had better results with the fill, cool and cut method.
    I bought my glue gun and sticks at JoAnnes fabric store - was exactly the same gun as at Harbor Freight but half price - go figure...

Boolit Grand Master
    Friend used to use wax for the same thing.

Boolit Master
    If you wet the rifle barrel with an oily patch, they will exit .
    Also, wetting pistol barrel will also increase performance.
    Wait to prime the case until after you seat the plastic bullet. You compress air under the slug and sometimes they work forward in case while shooting.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Friend used to use wax for the same thing.
    this thread got me to glue-up a few 9mm lee t/l bullets,assembled in primered only 38 spl cases,Fired out of a LCR 357.Amazingly accurate from 15 feet ,in the basement!