Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I was asked this Question!

Boolit Master
    My response would be to cite the number of people killed in car accidents on that day. On average, 120 people die in car accidents every day, day after day, week after week, etc. And another 200,000 people are hurt, maimed, disabled every year due to cars.
    I ask people if they can name someone hurt in a car accident that they know - everyone knows someone. Then I ask them to name someone they know that was hurt by a gun. I've yet to get an answer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    5.) Electronic search patrons entering the hotel, NOT to prevent the entry of firearms, but to prevent the entry of hammers heavy enough to defeat the exterior windows of the hotel. Perhaps even exempting CHL holders from the required electronic pass-through would help. Persons with the conduct and discipline to obtain and retain a CHL rarely engage in such atrocities. In fact, I am at a loss to name ONE such example.
    Absolutely not. I travel for work and give up enough freedoms in the name of "safety/security". I travel w/ a Pelican case full of tools every week. I also travel w/ a Pelican case for my guns when the state I'm traveling to allows it. I don't need anyone at the hotel knowing what the contents of these cases are. I don't trust the people that work there. I don't trust the TSA who rifles through my case and has destroyed calibrated tool in the past. I am done giving up freedom and being forced to submit to searches. Spend time in an airport every week and you will understand why.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    What if it would have been nerve gas, any long acting pathogen, or even Molatov cocktails? The pathogens arguably would have been much the worst scenario, and could have possibly reached every participant, for them to take home and spread further.
    Certainly much easier to transport.
    It's just a matter of time.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I'm wondering why there is no one clamoring for a glass breakage sensor on those hi rise buildings.... if someone breaks out a window, you can bet a suicide or murder is about to happen..
    Hey, I LIKE that idea!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

Since Jacob Fordney as hacked to death by a neighbour initiating the insanity defence there has been no answer to violence committed by people who slip a cog. There is no answer there is no defence. If he didn't use a gun he would have used a bomb or a airplane ( he was a pilot). Just think of the damage if he had nosed dived a small plane filled with cans of gas into the crowd.

Part of life is there IS no total safety never was never will be... you just live your life the best you can and take reasonable precautions. You will never know if the next car you meet coming down the road may be a nut intent on suicide. It was a tragedy but apparently unavoidable as he was determined to take others with him.

England banned guns then knives and now the latest fad is acid in squirt guns and syringes. Bans don't stop violence. What is coming when guns are obsolete? The history of mankind has been one long progression of faster easier and better ways to kill your fellow man. Just wait till we are all packing Phasers or some such and a nut job decides to kill his fellow man.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely not. I travel for work and give up enough freedoms in the name of "safety/security". I travel w/ a Pelican case full of tools every week. I also travel w/ a Pelican case for my guns when the state I'm traveling to allows it.
    In retrospect, I should have specified "Electronic search entrants of HIGH RISE Hotels". If it's below a certain number of stories, no electronic search needed. Another person suggested using technology which detects window breaches in high-rise Inns. THAT could be an alternative.

I don't need anyone at the hotel knowing the contents of these cases. I don't trust the people that work there.
    Okay, fair point. I don't really know what to do about that. Hmm...

I am done giving up freedom and being forced to submit to searches. Spend time in an airport every week and you will understand why.
    I'm not indifferent to your situation. I've spent a fair amount of time in airline terminals, and I get it.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 10-04-2017 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Clarity
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

Another person suggested using technology which detects window breaches in high-rise Inns. THAT could be an alternative.
    I'm fine w/ this. I won't be breaking any hotel windows out. And that would actually be a good security measure. But hotels aren't going to want to pay the cost. Cameras that cover all the hallways aren't always around.

While this guy was 32 stories up. You can do damage from any elevated position. Hotel I'm at this week is four stories and overlooks a freeway on one side and a college campus on the other. No point in going into detail but most can imagine how bad it would be if a shooter was at this hotel during a traffic jam or anytime class is in session.

Any security measure can be defeated. It's just a matter of how much effort it's going to take to defeat it.

Boolit Master

OK, THE ANSWER
    Become a God fearing, gun toting nation once again
    We kicked God out of schools, we kicked God out of government
    We kicked God out of the nation, when the Light leaves, darkness will enter
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

^^^best answer so far,,^^^^^

Boolit Master

Hey, I LIKE that idea!
    And.. You coil tie it to a state that auto unlocked that rooms door, and blinked the lights and made a tone go off to alert others.. Kinda like a fire alarm setup...

They would have known in the lobby in a second when he broke the window, and taken action immediately, instead of much later.. Might have saved lives I he had to deal with a suicide check being imminent.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    So I may be able to get her to join the NRA if I can give her a good answer

I was asked this Question!

I would like to ask you, being a law-abiding gun owner, what your ideas are to stop 550+ people from being gunned down in 9 minutes?

All help is much appreciated.
    She needs to come to the realization that there is evil in this world and lives in the hearts and minds of man.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    She needs to come to the realization that there is evil in this world and lives in the hearts and minds of man.
    And.. As most of us know.. Usually the best way to stop bad people with guns.... Are good people with guns..

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    he didn't hit 550 people.
    most of the injuries were from the stampede.
    They keep repeating this figure but not explaining how many were injured in the stampede and how many were shot. I'd kinda like to know
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I bet it will come out, but due to the amount of people injured, and the need to get bodies in beds, I bet the statistics take a bit to settle.

Not making an excuse for them, but I bet treatment is trumping data collection at this phase.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    he could as easilly built a platform with 4 ar 15 and a hand crank trigger palpitatoe and fed them with 100 round stick mags if bump fire wasn't legal.

criminals will do anything.

I'm wondering why there is no one clammoring for a glass breakage sensor on those hi rise buildings.... if someone breaks out a window, you can bet a suicide or murder is about to happen..
    Interesting idea but is the tens of million in cost worth one incident? Cold to say it but this is a variation of "if it saves just one childs life". You get to a point of diminishing returns in the cost benefit ratio.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy

Start with all these meds dr's put folks on that have worse side effects than the original problem. Blame big pharmaseuticals instead of guns. Look up Diazapam

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    The people, politicians, that is, who are calling for the banning of guns are not doing it to end violence.

Boolit Master

If in the crowd of 20K+ there were a "Nate Romanowski"-fictional character who carries a big bore revolver or 2, who could have fired back.......but it was a gun free zone. And the liberals say the "repugs" are to blame.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Interesting idea but is the tens of million in cost worth one incident? Cold to say it but this is a variation of "if it saves just one childs life". You get to a point of diminishing returns in the cost benefit ratio.
    Is it worth banning a slide fire stock that hasn't been used in a crime by the other 320 million people in the USA.

Seriously.. There has been 1 crime with a bumpfire.. Is this really a bumpfire problem, or is it a criminal problem?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    If in the crowd of 20K+ there were a "Nate Romanowski"-fictional character who carries a big bore revolver or 2, who could have fired back.......but it was a gun free zone. And the liberals say the "repugs" are to blame.
    Normally have a responding shooter would help.. But I a situation with the attacker on the 32nd floor, and ? 400 yards away... No ccw's were going to be returning fire.