Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MCD Products

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got hit last night

Banned
    In ANY event, it's just a truck,

People are important, stuff is just stuff.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wait for the adjuster to give an estimate. Maybe get an independent estimate or two if you think that one is low; and go from there.

The OP is in that weird time between the accident and the repairs when you feel like you should be doing more. Your world gets upset and you're waiting on other people to act (insurance adjusters, body shop managers, rental cars, parts suppliers, etc.).
    It's inconvenient. It upsets your routine. It seems like a big deal and in the end it's just STUFF.

I've watched dozens of people go through this and I've been through it. More often than not it turns out OK. I've also seen people take these events and make them more complicated than they need to be.

Your car got bent.
    They're going to give you some money to replace your car or repair your car.
    Life will go on. Make it as frustrating or non frustrating as you wish.

Boolit Master
    Any time you can walk away from a crash, nothing else matters. Possessions and money are nothing compared to your health. Back in February, I had the worst crash of my life, but was able to go home that night. I swerved to miss a deer (which had a high probability of going through my windshield in the car I was in) and I found out what it was like to roll three times down an embankment at 65 MPH. I had a nasty bump on my head and one heck of a black eye, but I survived.

I'm glad to hear you are alright. I've never had to deal with an insurance company, but I know it can be a pain.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Sorry to hear you got hit. As someone else mentioned though, the important thing is that you didn't get hurt. I worked ambulance and fire rescue for many years and saw far too many that weren't that lucky. It's a hassle, I know, to deal with insurance companies and getting a vehicle fixed - but it will all work out and stressing out over it isn't going to speed things up. In the end, cars/trucks can be replaced - people can't. It will all work out and soon be behind you. Good luck!

Moderator Emeritus

When I had my car accident Geico was okay to work with, they took my docs recommendation for neck surgery and said go ahead. The other guys insurance on the other hand was NOT good(SafeCo). They sent in reports I had seen their doctors when I never even talked to them on the phone. Ended up costing them an extra $50k in bad faith dealing when we took them to court and presented the evidence that I was home at the time(I had a chat log with a friend on Google Plus with the IP of my home computer) when I was supposedly having a medical exam in their office...

Boolit Master
    I have Geico Insurance since 1985. Many claims over the years and never a problem with claims. In 32 years I had 15 claim between me and the two boys. Most claims here minor fender benders or weather related. They always paid well. In 2006 a Ford Excursion crossed over the line and destroyed my 1990 truck and a Dodge Durando. I saw an adjuster the next day, he said geico would pay and collect from other guys insurance. I had a check the next day for more than I paid for the truck.

Get your insurace to work the claim and do not deal with the other guys insurance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is that a good ting, or a bad thing?????

We were stopped in a construction zone and got hit by an uninsured millennial going 50 mph. He left 10 feet of skid marks. Was texting.
    $30,000 later in medical bills and a totaled Mercedes E320 later, we are still treating. I took a bath on the car.
    Good news? Let's hear it for the German Engineers. If we had been in any other car we probably would have been killed.
    Bad news? The kid will get away scot free. He doesn't have a pot to pee in so the insurance won't go after him.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I worked at a Ford dealer years ago. Never a problem with Geico. I still do business with the adjuster for Geico now.
    Never buy Farm Bureau insurance. They won't pay ?

Boolit Master
    Fish4bugs - my 1st accident (hit from behind by a texting driver) was a nightmare. The driver was from NH (it happened in MA), his reg was expired, and his insurance was out of Maine. The 2nd happened in Seabrook - the texting driver had no insurance, no license, and he took off before the cops got there. Now I have to fight with my own insurance company.
    Alaska has a $10,000 fine for texting while driving. I wish MA and NH and everyone else would follow.

I'm with you on the Happy Warrior post - don't want to read non-gun related posts, don't come to Our Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I'm with you on the Happy Warrior post - don't want to read non-gun related posts, don't come to Our Town.
    Not to worry - the Mods took care of his post and him.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Fish4bugs - my 1st accident (hit from behind by a texting driver) was a nightmare. The driver was from NH (it happened in MA), his reg was expired, and his insurance was out of Maine. The 2nd happened in Seabrook - the texting driver had no insurance, no license, and he took off before the cops got there. Now I have to fight with my own insurance company.
    Alaska has a $10,000 fine for texting while driving. I wish MA and NH and everyone else would follow.
    One thing I learned from my accident is that MedPay was way too low. I upped it to $25,000 and that is probably still too low.
    Since we are still treating we haven't started trying to settle up with our insurance company's uninsured motorist coverage.
    That is when the REAL fun starts. We are basically suing our own insurance policy.

Boolit Master
    That's exactly what I'm doing now with the 2nd accident. I got a lawyer to help with the BS, not to make money. The lazy lawyer I hired got his head handed to him by a Maine insurance adjuster in the 1st case, but at least it's over and didn't cost me for medical bills.

Boolit Master
    I'm a geico customer and I had to go through this mess when I totaled my Mini. They'll probably low ball you a tad like they did for me but otherwise it was standard insurance. Statefarm I had as a teen actually kicked me off my parents insurance for getting in a fender bender in inclement weather. I haven't had any issues with them, they insure my boat too.

Hope you start feeling better soon and get this headache behind you. I'd 2nd the suggestion to go get checked out anyways. Easier to pay a copay now than fight for treatment down the road with no paper trail.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I carry 100K/300K in uninsured motorist. One thing I learned from my medical issues is that its better to be overinsured than underinsured.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I carry 100K/300K in uninsured motorist. One thing I learned from my medical issues is that its better to be overinsured than underinsured.
    dang, yall make me want to review my policies. Not a bad point considering how much I'll be commuting.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    The Geico's web site you can find what changes you make would cost without talking to an agent. Even if you have good medical insurance they do not pay till car insurance pays.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    dang, yall make me want to review my policies. Not a bad point considering how much I'll be commuting.

80% of auto accidents are rear-enders. I got it from 20K# of truck while at a light. Concussion & all. My truck totaled. Wife got rear-ended a while back, not much damage but funny. OP demanded cops take her to hospital and she ended up paying her own bill. She was very belligerent but an off duty EMT saw the whole thing and went to check on my wife. Autonomous braking systems should reduce insurance costs.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    If your truck is fully insured, get it fixed through your insurance company and let them deal with the other insurance company. Once it is settled and your insurance company gets paid from the other company, they will refund your deductible. That is what we have done anyway.
    +1 That's what your insurance company is for. let their lawyers handle it BUT you should choose the repair shop

Moderator Emeritus

I went past an Asian guy arguing with his wife in a section of road that was 4 lanes, 3 blocks later it narrows to 2 lanes and has a stop light. I stop for the red, look up at my rear view mirror to see the argument coming at me at 30mph. Dude never touched his brakes. I was driving a 79 Jimmy with skid plates front and rear and he had a Chevy Citation with that low sloped nose. My rear axle finally stopped him and my bumper was poking through their windshield.

He jumps out and started screaming at me "What you do? What you do? Your Fault!"... then the town cop who was sitting in the gas station lot 20 feet away walked up. Dude starts screaming at the cop until he was told to shut up and get out his license and registration. Cop takes my info, asks if I have any damage and I tell him some more rust fell off. He said let me call a tow truck and get you guys separated after I get pictures taken. I looked at him and told him I can put it in 4 low lock and just drive off his hood. Cop gets pics done, tells me to try and move, I drive off ripping the guys hood and fenders off with me because they were already a crumpled mess. He started screaming even louder then the cop turned around, cuffed him, stuffed him in the back of his car and came back to finish.

Guy had an expired license, no insurance, and the car wasn't his. Thankfully I had no real damage, a few more scrapes on the bumper and missing rust and on that thing who would notice. I only carried bare minimum and no collision so nothing I could file, it was a $800 Jimmy so not worth the cost of collision. But that accident drove home the need for collision on anything worth carrying it on. Guy who hit me ended up in jail for a year and a huge fine, plus his brother claimed he stole the car but not sure if that charge stuck. I was young and indestructible then so ignored the neck aches but I am sure that accident contributed to my neck issues that the last accident really messed up.