Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is the muzzle loader market(sidelocks) hot again.

Perm-Banned

is the muzzle loader market(sidelocks) hot again.

just sold a third muzzle loader to day, thats 3 in 6 weeks. also going to built one for a shooter from his parts very soon. its like the muzzleloader market for sidelocks just took off. anybody else experienceing this also.

Boolit Buddy

I don't know but I certainly hope you're right. That would be a very good thing. I know when inlines were getting popular many years ago I figured interest in sidelocks would go down to almost nothing but that didn't seem to materialize thankfully.

Boolit Grand Master

Probably a momentary spurt. They are on the decline and the fact that several sellers(that sell inexpensive models) like CVA that don't sell them any more doesn't help. I probably never would have gotten into it if I couldn't have done it for a moderate price. I wish I was wrong and you are right, but I doubt it.
    Aim small, miss small!

Perm-Banned
    the guns i sold were made and hardly used back a few years ago and i could never sell a gun that i would make for todays parts prices for which these gun sold for. the buyers are getting a buy and now the guns will be used. i still have 5 left plus my son has one and i gave one to another son.

Boolit Master
    Roger I am seeing same here, folks got out of traditional ml's, let the barrels rust up, went for the newer syn stocks, inlines they still rust if u don't take care of them. TC no longer makes side locks, so ones in pristine condition, or w with GM drop in barrels are going up in value since they are getting out of ml barrels.

Boolit Master
    I suspect some of those Modern Shooting enthusiastshave had to endure too many price increases and shortages over the last 15 years or so. Maybe some have come to realize. Its time to get back to those basic's while they >still can.

Perm-Banned
    i think the sidelocks are going to find a groove but shooters are going to pay for them. in the 60/s i got into 5 string banjos and built one and wore it out. they were really a hot item back them but they also found their groove and are still around. to your will pay an arm or a leg for a good one as your going to for a good side lock. still pick or frail away by my self in the house when the family is at work or school.

In Remembrance
    Sidelocks have been in a groove for lots of years, when states started running special seasons and manufacturers started the race for magnum front stuffers, it stole the parade from sidelocks, but they still had their followers, and hopefully picking up a few more. Myself, I could just never get excited about the inlines, but can see why some do.

In lines will go away. Side locks will stay.

I want a side lock so I can play Jeremiah johnson when I'm done playing John Wayne with my single action. Just wish they were cheaper.
    Also in my defense I never said I was historically correct in any of this.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If collectors had their poop in a pile, they would be grabbing up some of the better quality custom guns being made now. This is certainly the Second Golden Age. Firearms far surpassing the old ones are being produced by today's fine craftsmen. Once the collectors figure it out, the prices are going to skyrocket, like every other class of firearm has.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If collectors had their poop in a pile, they would be grabbing up some of the better quality custom guns being made now. This is certainly the Second Golden Age. Firearms far surpassing the old ones are being produced by today's fine craftsmen. Once the collectors figure it out, the prices are going to skyrocket, like every other class of firearm has.
    Already is in my area! Long live the Side Lock!!!! Flinters especially!!!!!!!!!!

RB

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    I started with sidelocks. Rarely use em anymore. I dont plan on trading in my truck for a horse and buggy anytime soon either.

Perm-Banned
    thompsons are getting thin and so are the other ones. if a person wants a good sidelock pedersoli or have one made. my emails have greatly increased this winter and the selling of some guns show me that the market is becomeing a market again. their is a feeling of deep self satisfaction in useing a side lock and shooting better that the average guy with a modern rifle. i like inlines and will build one for a shooter also and it will be one of pride and quality but the deep soul satisfaction is in the sidelocks. my ancesters were custom furniture makers for hundreds of years in france and i think i have their flair for wood when it get a piece of it in my hands.

Boolit Master
    I don't know for certain but around here I don't think the side locks are going to make a resurgence soon. I had a Knight in-line in a 54 and got rid of it when I got into the Side lock and fast twist barrel and adjustable sights game. I was wanting a side lock that I could hunt trophy deer and antelope with. After putting them together I thought for years that would be the only way I would hunt. A broken stock later, and a gun smith that that I hired to make a "better" than TC stock, I am worried about the side locks because there is limited support for them. The gun smith has had mine for 3 years.
    I bought two Knight MK85's. The reason I did it was to reduce the need to take my "baby's" on hunts that might be dangerous for them. I am not going to take my side locks on my pontoon boat. I have a real good hunt I like that I am not going to risk my good rifles on. I am not going to take it on horse back. My side locks are a better rifle, and easier to clean. The in-lines will never take their place but the in-lines and side locks both have a place in my arsenal.

While I can't speak for others, I know that I've come full circle - starting with sidehammer guns in the late 60's and progressing through various inlines, scoped inlines, etc, etc - until I decided to stop & smell the roses, about 15 years ago, reverting to sidehammers again (even my 1st rocklock ! )

Apparently, though, many gunshops haven't seen the resurgence, and still have sidelock long guns tagged F/S at ridiculously low prices ($50-$300).

In the past 5 years, up to this past March, I've been able to find (and buy) a T/C Renegade 56SB (smoothbore) @ $50, a .45 T/C Seneca @ $100, a .36 Model 1851 clone @ $125, and a scarce .36 T/C Seneca @ $250 - all languishing at the end/back of gunracks, one even hidden by a gun placed in front of it, in the same slot.

My $0.02: Make hay while the sun shines, fella's.

Last edited by pietro; 04-12-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    Idahoron, have you contacted sheeit and wasteon and asked if they still warranty the t/c stocks? T/c had full warranty on the whole rifle, stock and all.

And whats the deal with the gunsmith having it for 3 years? Is he growing another tree?

Boolit Master
    They don't warranty them any more. They said tough luck. I think he is waiting to plant it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    just sold a third muzzle loader to day, thats 3 in 6 weeks. also going to built one for a shooter from his parts very soon. its like the muzzleloader market for sidelocks just took off. anybody else experienceing this also.
    Parts are getting harder and harder to come by. Some sidelock owners are purchasing entire backup MLs instead of a part here & there.

The sidelock business (new) continues to nosedive. Actually the entire ML retail business continues to nosedive overall.

Boolit Master
    well in my state cap locks are a hard sell. but you can sell flint locks all day long.