Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's a cheap spotting scope for range use?

Boolit Buddy

what's a cheap spotting scope for range use?

I know a lot of the cheaper and even mid prices spotting scopes don't get a lot of love.

Anyone found one that performs better then expected? Holds up? I was at a bow hunting gathering a few years ago and the pro staff were hating on the Vortex spotting scopes all together. I don't think there were doing it to be malicious because in same breath they were trying to get their boss to carry the Vortex range finders on their website. But I'd have thought vortex would have been decent I. That arena too but again my use is extremely limited.

Any used ones a safe bet versus big risk?

With my kids starting to shoot its obvious I need one to see their shot placement on target. My eyes aren't what they used to be..

I'm also getting ready to work up some loads for hunting in 30.06 so will really need a spotting scope. I don't have the funds for a good one right now.
    My goal is the range bag with stuff that stays in it. Short term I may need it for hunting this year since I know I need more power then my binocs can offer. So, don't want something that will be useless in that regards either. Long term my goal is to get a nice set for hunting and long range shooting. But the other one in my range bag awlays for kids to use, loaner etc.

I wouldn't mind some tips in what kind of Spotting scopes is used for hunting. All kinds not just driving around in truck and using em off the window. I want to be out in the area hunting on foot and glassing from high points etc. (Packing in type hunts, regardless of my back, I'm bound and determined to do it!) And of course why that type of spotting scope, power and everything else I'm missing

Thanks.

Just got mine this Christmas so I don't know how it will hold up.

But the Barska spotting scope I got was only 60$ compared to the well, unbelievably expensive scopes everyone else is pushing.

Frankly at that price it doesn't need to stand up for too long.

I see the price has come up a little bit, still not too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Grand Master

One thing to do is if possible look thru alot of them go to stores that carry them and see what is what. If possible look at distances see how good light and resolution are. A big match that has a commercial row or venders there may have a big selection on display ( Camp Perry during the nationalss does). A lot of the cheaper scopes are okay for shorter ranges but lack resolution and such for longer ranges with smaller holes. Another thing is how your going to mount it up a solid stand makes a big diffrent. Dont get hung up of spotting scopes completely either. I recently bought a pair of 25X 100mm binoculars and mounted them on a heavy tripod for BPCR shillouettes. On a good day we see the bullets go into the pids turkeys and rams. Gives more field of view and better reolution, saves on eye strain also. My partner sayd they were a waste of money but we havent used our Kowas in 2 years now either. Watch on sites used spotting scopes can be very reasonable also

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Meade 20x-60x 60mm Spotting Scope tha IIRC paid less than $50 for. Works for what I wanted. Just don't expect it to show 22's at 300 yds - kinda hard to see em
    Didn't notice but I got my thousand post boolit answering this!
    Last edited by MrWolf; 01-25-2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master

I've had a Burris 20-60 X 80 MM for 10 or so years, in bright sun I can see 22 holes at 300 on light
    colored targets, on black impossible.
    I see them on sale a lot for under $225.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

plus one on the Burris.

Optic's you get what you pay for - and if you go longer range shooting after about 300 yards the optic's start to loose out to electronic TV camera setup's. Are you going to stay inside 300 yards?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy

I won't ever but Burris again!!!I bought there first pair of Bincos they came out with. I was abig Burris fan, own one of their scopes and had bought my dad several.. They didnt last long and I couldn't get Burris to respond about the issues, sending them in for repair/replacement. I haven't bought anything from them since. Their warranty isn't and good when they won't stand behind their products. Got me worried their forever warranty on the scopes I bought is about as worthless.

Thank you all for responding.
    22lr most would be 50 yards if that. But 30.06 def need a hundred yards. If I could get 2-300 yards would be nice. Didnt think of mentioning distance/caliber. Everything else will be somewhere in between.

Boolit Master
    The cheep Barska will do 30 cal at 200 and 22 at 100. If you want better go up in price a bunch. Get a good sturdy tripod for whatever you buy.

My wife got me that Barska scope a few months ago. The threaded mount under the scope tore right out the second time I went to set it up. It's just a small brass nut with plastic molded around it, not at all durable. Going to see if I can fix it with some epoxy. The scope works fine for checking targets at 100 yards, but I would recommend spending more and getting a better one.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several Kowas a 25x x 77 a 28X x 8? and a meade terrestrial scolpe ( its image is reveresed like most telescopes are with out the adapters), and a pair of celestron binoculars 25X x 100mm. I have used unertals 25X x 60mm bushnell and some others over the years for spotting bullet holes and spotting discs in high power rifle matches. Direction of range, Light, mirage, and steadyness of stand all affect what can be seen and how far. When scoring on a good day at perry The big kowa would show 30 cal holes at 600 yds not real often but when all conditions were right. When spotting for another shooter be able to see the "trace" of the bullets flight can be a big benifit also. The Kowas are great scopes but not cheap eye pieces are interchangable so one body and several eye pieces cover alot of area. The meade is bigger and heavier uses telescope eyepieces and was under $300.00 it does very good bit dosnt mount up as easy. The Celestron Binoculars are great less eye strain, trace is normally visible, Splatter of gongs shillouettes is apparent, good definition and field of view also. Right around $300.00 for them. Tripods are okay if you have room for them The freeland style bi-pods or some of the newer desighned stands take up much less room and will allow prone to standing adjustments. If possible go to some matches and see whats on the line being used and ask questions when competitors are free. Unertals and Kowas have been the go to for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhammer View Post
    22lr most would be 50 yards if that. But 30.06 def need a hundred yards. If I could get 2-300 yards would be nice.
    I forgot to ask your budget

I think you would be most happy with price and performance of a Binocular instead of a scope.

You can check out what's local (big 5 etc) You want a threaded mount to be able to put on a tripod, if not then 10-12 power for hand held at max without being able to mount it on a stand.
    20-25 power max if putting on a stand any more and the vibrations/air waves will drive you nuts when looking for little holes at longer ranges.
    If you go with something like a Barska my suggestion is to ask to take several out into the parking lot - find a brick wall at distance and try each one - you will notice a difference between half a dozen of the same model.

Try something something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rdwatchin06-20

for other recommendations check out birding and astronomy forum's - ignore the 7 power recommendations for hunters as those are for counting antlers not looking for .30 holes.

look at some you tubes for help as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baSEINHhho0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZspsOdtGBx4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OaYrEpywRU
    Last edited by Artful; 01-25-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing to look for is a Long eye relief eye piece it is a big plus so eye protection can stay in place.

Boolit Master
    I also have the Burris...have had it for over 15 yrs. and I am satisfied. I think it was $185 on sale some 18 yrs ago. I wouldn't know about the warranty issues I only own one rifle scope and this spotting scope and they have been just fine.

Boolit Master
    I will offer a little of what I know.
    It is fairly difficult to see a .22 cal hole in the black of a target at 200 yards.
    If you can get a scope that does that under good conditions you have a pretty good scope.

The ability to see small details at a distance is called resolution. There is a standard US Airforce testing target you can use to compare scopes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_US...ion_test_chart

You can research resolution and find out why the scope manufacturers will not advertise the resolution of their scopes.
    The cheap guys just want you to buy the scope and not ask questions if it does not work so great.

This bird watchers optics sight is also a good place to learn about optics. But you will not really find anything cheap.
    http://betterviewdesired.com/

From what I can tell some of the old Bushnell Space masters are pretty good but they are all used goods now.

A spotting scope is my most used piece of optical gear. I use it every time I go to the range. My binocular does not get used that much. None of my rifle scopes get used like that. I feel it needs to be a little better piece of equipment than an entry level scope.
    I have an old Swift 15X-60X 841 Telemaster that was in perfect condition when I bought it used. It was probably made in the late 60s or early 70s. It is somewhat usable at 100 yards and is worthless at 200 yards unless I am shooting a 45-70. The big holes work ok but not 22 LR. The very high magnification does nothing for the image above about 30X most of the time the optimum magnification is 24X to about 28X.

I have a Bausch and Lomb fixed 22X field type spotter with the rubber armor. It had multicoated lens. It is a little sharper than the old Swift and has longer eye relief. However the power cannot be reduced to deal with mirage on days with bright sun and high temps. The Swift works better with mirage.

The best scope that I have used was the Kowa 77mm objective. It had a 25X long eye relief eye piece. The LER eyepiece has an eye relief of about 1" and is much easier to use especially with glasses. Now don't discount this because if you don't wear glasses, with a quality scope you will eventually need the LER. It will last until you do need the extra eye relief for glasses. If being used at the range you need shooting glasses anyway.
    Of course, for a field scope the extra eye relief is a great bonus. The Kowa would easily spot holes at 100 yards. I did not get the chance to use it at 200 yards but I have coveted one ever since.
    Last edited by EDG; 01-30-2015 at 06:02 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I bought a used Yukon 18-36 power off of E-bay for about $30.00. I was after a spotting scope that had a 45* eyepiece. I shoot NRA Bullseye pistol and it really don't take much to see your bullet holes at 50 yards. I wanted the 45* eyepiece so that I could scope my shots without changing my stance between shots.
    I was impressed with the clarity. I don't know who or where it is made but it's a pretty good scope for what I have in it. I could be "the fine print" off my neighbors above ground pool from roughly 75 yards away.
    Swift and Meade are traditionally good quality due to their telescope backgrounds.

Boolit Buddy
    One of the older fixed power Leupold will serve you well and is guaranteed for life. The optics are great as well. I have had one for years and wouldn't be without it. They turn up on ebay regularly, in fact here is one now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-Gold...item339d579644 . It is a scope you will be proud to own.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    My advice is to find out what the local high power shooting team is currently buying for serious competition and buy one of those if you see yourself shooting long distance for very long. Over the years, the price you paid for it will be nothing compared the the quality and satisfaction you get out of the scope.

I bought such a scope many years ago. I still use it.

I'll agree with Dave, buy the best you can scrounge the dollars for. You will never regret buying quality. I bought my leupold 25yrs ago and had several bargain brands before. When you use them all day on the mountain hunts or looking for yotes on the prairies you will appreciate the quality
    Charlie

Boolit Buddy

Thanks, I got to use someone's Simmons last week. It opened my eyes to what I don't want pretty quickly. Found out, I have an Axtell Rifle Smith front sight and one of their bases for a Vernier sight. Plus guessing triggers n such go for rifle they fit. Will help along with all the marlin lever parts get me into a decent one.