Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to package a rifle cheap and safe for shipment

My dealer charges me $35 for shipped and insured. He does all the packaging and I get good comments about how it's received. That's all I need.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Well, I would think that many of the firearms you would be shipping wouldn't fit in a case like this anyway right? Them long custom flinters are just hard to get any sort of case for.
    Exactly. Scares me to ship like them that, but so far, so good.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Cardboard vs Plastic

Of course, there is also the very real possibility that a well-constructed box will far outperform a purpose-made (for carrying, not shipping) rigid gun case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	100408

Top image: shipping container (3rd party) that my most recent Anschutz purchase came in. Cardboard only, no styrofoam/etc.

Bottom image: the rigid carrying case I'm taking it to the range in tonight.

Not sure if the photos are clear enough. The same amount of weight results in about 3/8" deflection in the shipping carton, and easily three times that (and enough to unlatch the side latch and make the sides of the clamshell "scissor" past each other, further weakening the structure) in the rigid carrying case.

Bad cardboard < Wrong plastic < Good cardboard < Pelican™ case

Bren R.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bren R. View Post
    Of course, there is also the very real possibility that a well-constructed box will far outperform a purpose-made (for carrying, not shipping) rigid gun case.

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	100408

Top image: shipping container (3rd party) that my most recent Anschutz purchase came in. Cardboard only, no styrofoam/etc.

Bottom image: the rigid carrying case I'm taking it to the range in tonight.

Not sure if the photos are clear enough. The same amount of weight results in about 3/8" deflection in the shipping carton, and easily three times that (and enough to unlatch the side latch and make the sides of the clamshell "scissor" past each other, further weakening the structure) in the rigid carrying case.

Bad cardboard < Wrong plastic < Good cardboard < Pelican™ case

Bren R.
    Excellent test!
    Now, do it like the instructions I gave in the OP and see how it fairs.

Measure the deflection of the case, and the cardboard, then go and USE THE ZIP TIES in the provided grommets (this cinches the case into it's closed position firmly) slip it back into the box, put your weights on top, and measure the deflection then.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Roughly an inch of deflection using the shown zip ties (one through each corner, and one at the handle area, as molded into my case - pulled as tight as I can by hand with a pair of 8" linesman pliers and not trimmed) versus 1/4-3/8" deflection out of the cardboard carton.

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	100411

Of course - I did not use the same zip ties, gun case, cigar, wording of "being like a Boss"... I do not live at the same elevation above sea level... my point is that a rigid carrying case may not be any better and may actually provide less protection than an actual shipping carton when it comes to shipping a firearm.

Bren R.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bren R. View Post
    Roughly an inch of deflection using the shown zip ties (one through each corner, and one at the handle area, as molded into my case - pulled as tight as I can by hand with a pair of 8" linesman pliers and not trimmed) versus 1/4-3/8" deflection out of the cardboard carton.

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	100411

Of course - I did not use the same zip ties, gun case, cigar, wording of "being like a Boss"... I do not live at the same elevation above sea level... my point is that a rigid carrying case may not be any better and may actually provide less protection than an actual shipping carton when it comes to shipping a firearm.

Bren R.
    Actually, it is imperative that you have your coffee and your large ring maduro cigar (along with the ability to blow a very impressive smoke ring) in order to do it like a true BOSS. You just have no flare otherwise! LOL!
    Now when were you planning on slipping it into the cardboard box like I clearly stated in the instructions and measuring the deflection of BOTH OF THEM TOGETHER AS IT WOULD ACTUALLY BE SHIPPED?
    Seriously, I get your point, but that's not the only reason for using a plastic shell and tight fitting foam around the firearm being shipped. (Thank you for taking the time to do these tests BTW. I never thought to test the cases in that way, and it does indeed look like you are using a very similar case, if not the exact one I linked in the OP).
    You're argument is that it's safer being shipped in the cardboard box only.
    I respectfully disagree.
    I believe that the primary function of the shipping container is twofold. One function is to provide a measure of protection against bending (not that it really matters because the amount of force necessary to bend a rifle barrel would fold the cardboard box and the case fairly easily).
    The other function is to prevent puncture. As I found out today while I was shipping two rifles. I had two of these cases in their boxes, and I was trying to get them out of the truck. I swung one of the boxes and it caught the corner of the truck door, which punctured right through the cardboard exterior, and dinged the case inside (it was actually fairly easy with a box that large that weighs that much).
    I'm glad I don't have to take it back to the shop and repair the finish on the stock, and the case saved me.
    At least now it's in the hands of US postal service, and I know they will take much better care of it than I did LOL!

Another point that I will mention (this was actually brought up earlier) is that the danger of puncture is not just from the outside of the case but from the inside as well. The barrel can punch right through a cardboard exterior box if that's all that is holding it back if the case is thrown endways into a truck and suddenly stopped against other boxes/shipping containers.
    The plastic shell (while still susceptible to a big enough shock) provides much more resistance to this sort of treatment (hence the zip ties).
    I thought the tennis ball idea was brilliant as used tennis balls are available very cheap and will spread out the surface area of the end of the barrel so that it cant punch through the case. Very good idea!

I think that at the very least, this method gives at least equal protection to the contents, but is much much more convenient than wrapping and taping, stuffing and filling the box totally with anything you can find. I'm just as cheap as anybody else here, but that's just more hassle than it's worth to me, and not only that, but you only ship one or two rifles and you are flat out of packing materials, and then you discover that peanuts are a total rip off (I save them babies like gold, and only use them when I have to).
    The point of the OP, is that this gives you a simple, cheap, civilized way to ship a rifle with more protection than a sheet of cardboard between it, and the loving hands of the truck drivers.
    If you don't want to do it this way, I'm not holding your feet to the fire. I was only trying to help, as I have passed this information to several people and it was very well received (pun intended LOL).
    Also, every rifle I have recieved in this manner has been in perfect shape no matter how hammered the outside of the box is. In fact, I just got one in half an hour ago, and now I have a way to send it back to my client unmolested.
    When a client sends me a rifle packaged in such a way that it barely survives the trip out here, that leaves me in a position where I either send it back in the same way it came, or I have to work something out with him/her for return shipping. This case provides me a way to do so, and so far, nobody has complained about getting a case for so cheap.

Boolit Master
    I am rubbing my temples very hard here.
    I just told you fellers the best way to ship a package in the mail and all you can do is gripe about who is paying for it?
    ...Now when were you planning on slipping it into the cardboard box like I clearly stated in the instructions and measuring the deflection of BOTH OF THEM TOGETHER AS IT WOULD ACTUALLY BE SHIPPED?
    The point of the OP, is that this gives you a simple, cheap, civilized way to ship a rifle with more protection than a sheet of cardboard between it, and the loving hands of the truck drivers.

Also, every rifle I have recieved in this manner has been in perfect shape no matter how hammered the outside of the box is.

You do realize that it never really happened don't you? You do realize that it was a fabricated scenario and the point of the whole thing was to tell you where to get a cheap shipping case and why?
    There is no Bob, There is no Joe.

No Bob?
    No Joe?
    So you admit your OP wasn't true!
    Hah!
    <
    Don't let the sniping get to you Tim. Relax and have a cool one while basking in the gratitude of many readers here. It's a seriously good idea and thank you for posting it. I think paying 35 bucks for a top-quality long gun packaging system is a pretty fair price anyway - and the pure convenience of the method would put it over the top for me if I came to find myself shipping one. After reading your post I recall that my CMP Garand came packaged in a similar manner - a plastic hard case inside a cardboard box. It was missing only the zip ties but it made the trip unharmed just the same.
    <
    Regards & Thanks!
    <
    Uncle R.

Boolit Man
    alot of good tips here...

one source for "heavy-duty" cardboard is empty bicycle boxes... i see them at wallyworld all
    the time. find out who their assembler is & he can hold a few, before they hit the baler.

Boolit Master

ULINE Shipping supplies sells rifle boxes! A box 8X4X52 sells for $2.11 each made with 200# test cardboard. I used a lot of these in the past. Also carpet padding makes good wrapping and stuffing.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    ULINE Shipping supplies sells rifle boxes! A box 8X4X52 sells for $2.11 each made with 200# test cardboard. I used a lot of these in the past. Also carpet padding makes good wrapping and stuffing.

Larry
    Thanks for the tip Larry.
    I saw the Uline boxes when I first started this venture of mine, but I shied away because they're just one layer of cardboard.
    I'm willing to consider it though. The cost is definitely attractive!
    So how do you wrap the guns in the carpet padding? Do you cut out a bunch of layers and make a cavity for the gun, or do you just wrap it up like a burrito and stuff it in there?
    I did a search on "carpet padding" and here's what Home Depot is selling:
    http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-...140325022115:s
    $157 for a 5' X 45' X 1/2". That's a lot of guns shipped for sure, depending on how much of it is used.

Boolit Master

I wrapped the gun in the padding, then filled any empty spaces with more padding. Some of the boxes were side opening which made it easier to pack tight.

Larry

Boolit Master

the last time I mailed a long rifle to a buyer I went over to the hardware store and got a length of plastic drain pipe, the flexiable kind, slipped the rifle in and filled the excess with paper packing, then sealed the ends with the plastc snap on caps, wrapped duct tape around the ends so the caps would not accidently come off....labeled it as agriculutural tool and shipped.....no problems.

and thanks for the post....interesting information
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Bub
    You guys have a lot of great advice about shipping firearms. I really like and use the hard case inside the box myself. I have asked for gun boxes at some of the big sporting goods outlets with good results.Thanks for the info shared here.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am amazed at how easily people get off track and ignore the moral of the story.

Tim wasn't talking about charging for a case or shipping, he was only giving his opinions on a very inexpensive way of shipping a gun in a manner that protects the gun.

The "story" was strictly to provide a narrative, not to show the ills of failing to discuss shipping costs in a timely fashion.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I am amazed at how easily people get off track and ignore the moral of the story.

Tim wasn't talking about charging for a case or shipping, he was only giving his opinions on a very inexpensive way of shipping a gun in a manner that protects the gun.

The "story" was strictly to provide a narrative, not to show the ills of failing to discuss shipping costs in a timely fashion.
    Well that, and to accurately depict the importance of having a game plan for how to ship before you list the item. I don't think lots of people realize how hard it is to ship a rifle safely, and many do not use a box at all.
    The point was to say "hey it gets hairy once the deal is struck, and can be expensive and time consuming if you don't have a way lined out ahead of time. I feel there has been a lot of scrambling done here in desperation by people who didn't recon on it being this hard to get a rifle in the mail, and often substandard shipping practices have been used along with a prayer that it gets there in one piece as promised.
    I never would have thought that you could buy a rifle case along with a perfectly fitting box for less than $50 and if you are only trying to ship one rifle, I would think it would be an attractive option.
    I tell you one thing, the next time I try to put together a humorous, entertaining narrative, I will be mindful of the fact that certain people will be so swept away by the plot that they miss the whole point entirely, and pick it to shreds for personal entertainment.
    Oh well, I tried.

Boolit Grand Master
    It wasn't the narrative that mattered, it was the moral of the story that mattered. Some couldn't see that.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

Tim, I have some guns to let go of, and when the time comes to sell them, I may just add on the $35 each, not optional!

I have shipped a number of long guns, and created a package that would have to be driven over to disrupt the contents. I get large sheets of cardboard from work for free, and I have a bit of fiberglass strapping tape. Figure about $6 in tape, and an hour to build it properly...

OR

Pass on the cost of the case, and drop a dime on a few zip ties!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

I actually found this to be some GREAT Information. As I for one have been there lol. And it sure cost me much more than $35.00 for packaging lol. And not to mention Work and Trouble. Not to mention the shipping cost of my Container lol.

First Container was a 6" piece of PVC with 1 glued on end cap and the other a threaded end for a threaded cap and screwed on. Now the Rifle lol. I wrapped it well with news paper and clear plastic to there were no gaps. Then I squirted some Water Base insulation foam in the bottom and let it expand then placed the rifle into the Tube and center then filled it with the Spray in Foam insulation. When it cured I cut off the excess sticking out of the Tube to enable me to screw the cap on and then installed the Screws. The plan was that if I coated the inside of the tube with some Oil the Foam would not attach to it and the foam and rifle would slide out of the tube and then just remove the foam and plastic from the rifle. Well as the person that received the Rifle said when I asked if it made it ok was. Well it could have been sent by plane and the plane caught fire and crashed into a mountain then blew up and the rifle could go end over end down mount Everest and it would have been fine lol. He was happy it was in Beautiful shape but not happy about the time it took him to find out lol.

The second Rifle was the 35 Whelen AI I sent off for work. I sent the action and stock in two separate Boxes Taped together with more bubble wrap and cardboard and tape than one can imagine lol. But it made it there fine. But still not cheap lol.

This simple thing that GoodSteel talks about would have saved me Time,Money and aggravation.

And I did receive a Rifle Barrel from E.R.Shaw and it was BENT lol. Yes they replaced it but a BENT Magnum Contour Barrel. They worked at that lol.

OK fellers admit it, we are some of the most gun tradinest folks on the internet. We swap guns like women swap handbags.
    SO
    Let's say Bob decides to sell 'ol Betsey, and use the money to buy the gun that Larry has for sale in swappin and sellin.
    Bob posts up Ol Betsy and Joe falls in love with it cause it will match his hunting boots perfectly etc etc and proudly exclaims in bold blue text those magical words: "I'll Take IT!!!!!"
    Happy day! Moneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoney!!!!!
    Bob knows that the gun has to ship to a licensed FFL and he guesses that it's going to cost about $30 from the eagle truck drivin folks because that's what the average gunbroker seller lists for shipping. Brilliant I say!

Now, all he needs is a box!

I say, all he needs is a box.

Bob has a devil of a time finding a box. Bob receives the MO in the mail, but he's still trying to find a dam box!
    Sends a PM to Joe explaining his troubles and Joe decides to be patient while wondering if he's getting screwed.
    Finally in desperation, Bob either
    A. cuts down a huge boxand hashes something together that looks like hammered hell.
    Or B. goes to wally world and drops $75 on a gun case and then begs the associates to find him a box, whereupon striking out, he goes home and slips it lovingly into the the hammered hell box and makes up the difference with packing tape.
    Bob's mad because he didn't end up with as much money as he thought he would and Joe is mad because the rifle shows up looking like USPS drug it behind the truck with a 30' tether cord and got happy with the off road deliveries.

Sound familiar?

Want to know a better way?

Joe PM's this thread to Bob about 5 minutes after the deal is done, and asks Bob if he would purchase said box and ship it in this way once it arrives, and offers to pay an extra $35 to make it happen.
    Bob agrees wholeheartedly. What the heck, it's only $35 right? and after all, Joe was going to be paying for it. Why not?

So, Bob goes to www.Brownells.com and immediately orders this case from them:
    Attachment 100225
    http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod41076.aspx
    What with shipping it ends up being exactly $35.74 delivered.

When the box arrives with the case in it, open it up and remove the case.
    Slip the rifle inside and don't forget to sip your coffee before and after shutting the case and snapping the plastic buckles shut (pinky in the air mind you).
    Run zipties through all the the grommets around the perimeter (be sure to play some classical music while doing this. It heightens the experience.)
    Slip it back into the box it was shipped to you in (mind you don't get a paper cut. If you where white gloves during this operation, it reduces the likelihood of this happening)
    Tear even lengths of tape from a roll and close the end of the box.
    Paste your shipping information over Brownells shipping information.
    Take a leisurely drive to the Post Office or UPS or FedEX and hand it over to them and rest assured that it will reach it's destination perfectly intact and safe.
    I have shipped everything from a 22 crickett to a bench rifle using this system and it works perfectly.
    I do believe you could drag the rifle to it's state of destination by a logging chain and it would probably make it as long as it doesn't have to go through Missouri or Oklahoma LOL!

Now light your darn cigar and blow a smoke ring cause you just did it like a BOSS!
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Some people would complain and argue if they were being hung with a new rope. Sometimes throwing out good ideas is like casting pearls before swine. Pigs don't care about pretty, they wanna eat.

Boolit Master

Well that, and to accurately depict the importance of having a game plan for how to ship before you list the item. I don't think lots of people realize how hard it is to ship a rifle safely, and many do not use a box at all.
    The point was to say "hey it gets hairy once the deal is struck, and can be expensive and time consuming if you don't have a way lined out ahead of time. I feel there has been a lot of scrambling done here in desperation by people who didn't recon on it being this hard to get a rifle in the mail, and often substandard shipping practices have been used along with a prayer that it gets there in one piece as promised.
    I never would have thought that you could buy a rifle case along with a perfectly fitting box for less than $50 and if you are only trying to ship one rifle, I would think it would be an attractive option.
    I tell you one thing, the next time I try to put together a humorous, entertaining narrative, I will be mindful of the fact that certain people will be so swept away by the plot that they miss the whole point entirely, and pick it to shreds for personal entertainment.
    Oh well, I tried.
    I have been shipping things most of my adult life. I have seen the way people think a package will arrive safely and get mad when it doesn't. They will use duct tape on a cardboard box that is already falling off when they go to the post office and think it's fine. In my years in the military I have shipped my long guns to and from overseas locations and have never had an issue. I used hard cases with extra packing. When I am ordering a custom gun I bring up the subject of shipping and will pay extra to get the better protection or I have provided my own and ship it to them. My wife sometimes thinks I am over doing it when we are moving or hauling stuff from place to place but I have had minimul damage or anything I had transported or shipped.
    Tim I believe you have explained very well the procedures and consequences of shipping and hope those that can benefit from it will.

gmsharps