RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Have the hoarders bought up all of the 22LR???

Boolit Master

Maybe it's a good thing I haven't been able to shoot much at all for months. Recently I gave away most of a brick of .22 lr to a friend who wanted some, gave away another 3 boxes to an acquaintance, and split another brick between two other friends for what it cost me ($1.50 per box as I recall). I'll buy more when it's back on the shelves again.

Boolit Master

It's funny, another friend made a big deal about how generous I was to give away "expensive" ammo. I don't think about it that way because it's just .22 ammo, worth two or three cents a round (in my mind anyhow). Come on; a few dollars worth of .22 LR. How many of us blow a lot more than that on dinner?

It really is interesting to me how some people get when things get weird. I remember the last ammo scare a few years ago, and how I saw some folks get really strange about some .22 rounds at a gun show. One dealer sold a stash he had (fairly cheap) to another dealer when he had promised them the evening before to a different dealer. The one went behind the other and offered more. There was plenty of profanity and accusations involved. All over some .22 ammo.

Normal people do weird things under stress.

Boolit Bub

I'm going to try Dick's Sporting Goods today in my area. I found out they receive they're shippment of ammo on Tues. & Thurs.

Boolit Master
    I'm finding this all interesting from my point of veiw from this side of the pond.

Ususally I'd have to ripped of by our local provayer or ammo $7.50 a packet of 50 cci std etc.

If I went to the big smoke 80 km away I could buy it for as little as $60 a brick.

I returned from camping the other way a few hundred kms away and bought a case of cci std for $325 which is pretty much brisbane prices on special (1000kms away)

So I'm only paying 6.5 cents a shot for cheap ammo.
    Please don't ask how much we have to pay for the next grade or the real good stuff.
    You lot would have fits!!!!!

I still don't understand all the fuss?????

Are they going to make 22lr ilegal or something over they're.
    What is all the panick about????
    Is the world ending again or something 'cos I forgot and missed out on the end of the world late last year.

puzzled
    Barra

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    I'm finding this all interesting from my point of veiw from this side of the pond.

Ususally I'd have to ripped of by our local provayer or ammo $7.50 a packet of 50 cci std etc.

If I went to the big smoke 80 km away I could buy it for as little as $60 a brick.

I returned from camping the other way a few hundred kms away and bought a case of cci std for $325 which is pretty much brisbane prices on special (1000kms away)

So I'm only paying 6.5 cents a shot for cheap ammo.
    Please don't ask how much we have to pay for the next grade or the real good stuff.
    You lot would have fits!!!!!

I still don't understand all the fuss?????

Is the world ending again or something 'cos I forgot and missed out on the end of the world late last year.

puzzled
    Barra
    Here we have the 2A which gives every American the right to own firearms our government wants to ban guns but can't do it. So they are causing the shortages by placing vary large orders for ammo they don't need to control/hinder our rights by controlling the flow of ammo to the public.

Boolit Buddy
    The crazy fact is, we can't buy ammo from the Chinese, and yet we get their shrimp, deformed chickens, slave labor tennis shoe, and every other Walmart special. Thank you Billy. It makes no sense. And what happened to all that Russian ammo, where is it? Is it import changes, or what?

Boolit Grand Master
    Dunno about that, Swamp Man. I'm more inclined to think that shooters are responsible for stripping the shelves of ammo, which isn't stocked in any great depth during normal times. The process feeds itself--ammo gets scarce, so more people scramble for what's left, a feeding frenzy develops, and the hoarders/strippers/flippers offer 22 LR for $75/brick. This might be Capitalism In Action, but it's also swinish as hell. I won't feed the pigs.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Dunno about that, Swamp Man. I'm more inclined to think that shooters are responsible for stripping the shelves of ammo, which isn't stocked in any great depth during normal times. The process feeds itself--ammo gets scarce, so more people scramble for what's left, a feeding frenzy develops, and the hoarders/strippers/flippers offer 22 LR for $75/brick. This might be Capitalism In Action, but it's also swinish as hell. I won't feed the pigs.
    Part of it is due to the publics panic but this all started with the government pushing gun ban bills. Then the government started placing order after order for large shipments of ammo which made things much worse. The governments orders put public ammo shipments on hold while the ammo Co's pushed out ammo for government contracts. The government didn't need the ammo it was their way to slow down ammo shipments to the public. This was done either to control our ammo or to funnel the ammo to the muslim brotherhood to be used in Syria or both ALL brought to you by the Obama thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wis. Tom View Post
    And what happened to all that Russian ammo, where is it? Is it import changes, or what?
    We have the Russian .22 ammo for sale up here. Just saw some yesterday listed at $95 for 700 rounds - steel cased and all!
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of the Presidency represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H.L. Mencken Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money". Alexis de Tocqueville 1835

In Remembrance
    The govt has always ordered big lots of ammo, it is mainly more newsworthy now. How much 22 ammo has the govt ordered.

I didn't say the government ordered 22 ammo. Co's most likely stopped/slowed production of 22 ammo in favor of producing more profitable rounds for government contracts. The government has never in history of this country placed orders for the amounts of ammo they have been ordering under Obama.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post

Barra
    A lot of it is the shortage feeding on itself. Goes along these lines:
    1. A guy who usually buys a couple of boxes a year goes to buy them and finds none in the store.
    2. Asks why they have none and told there is shortage.
    3. He decides that if he can find a brick, he'll buy that instead of 2 boxes.
    4. Finds a store that has it in stock.
    5. As he picks it up, he see's a sign that says "Limit 3 per Day".
    6. So he buys 3 bricks of it.
    7. He just bought 15 times more rounds than he would have if there was no shortage.
    8. And he might have the wife buy 3 more right there. Making it 30 times his normal buying.

Boolit Grand Master
    Perotter's explanation makes a lot of sense, and is very close to my own view of the sitch.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    I didn't say the government ordered 22 ammo. Co's most likely stopped/slowed production of 22 ammo in favor of producing more profitable rounds for government contracts. The government has never in history of this country placed orders for the amounts of ammo they have been ordering under Obama.
    I seriously doubt producing centerfire ammo of any kind has any impact on the production of .22 rimfire ammo.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Thanks ...Seem to have the gist of it now.

Can't see any production loses in 22lr 'cos of other ammo demands/orders.
    All that machinery is only geared and tailor made for one only percific purpose as far as I could tell watching 22lr ammo making process vids.

I just stock up every now and again for prolly a years worth then forget about it till I get lowish again.

Usually buy the same stuff but occasional try something new once in a while.

Can't see it getting to just " muzzle loaders with flints and stale bottles of urine ferementing in the back yard" for a while then.

Thanks
    Barra

Boolit Mold
    When they finish off the suppositories, they'll go after flint too ;-(

Boolit Master
    Demand has steadly increased at my house. First it was just me, then me and the wife, then me wife and kids, now me wife kids grandkids and son in law. I'm shooting more 22 cast but nothing beats the fun of a sweet shooting 22 semi auto you built up. Unfortunately they can really eat the ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Just found some online at Cabellas - Winchester M22 1000 rounds 49.99. Not a great deal but not too bad.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104536080

Boolit Buddy
    Sold out

Boolit Buddy
    I was hoping some of the good people here might have got in on the order. Hopefully next time.