Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading 45 ACP on a Dillon RL550B using "Clays"

Boolit Bub

Reloading 45 ACP on a Dillon RL550B using "Clays"

I was reloading some 45 ACP on my RCBS single stage press, currently waiting on some accessories from Dillon in order to get
    my RL550B up and running. During my reloading session it seemed at times "difficult" for the RBCS Uniflow powder dispenser to throw a consistent charge of 3.8 grains of "Clays". I love using "Clays" in my 45 ACP reloads but was wondering if I'm going to have to find a different powder. Anyone out there using Clays in their RL550B press having this issue I hope not because my Sig P220 will eat that powder up.
    Winners go home, survivors go to the hospital and losers go to the morgue.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I reload 38 Specials on a 550 using Clays all the time. It meters just fine using the small powder bar. It shouldn't be a problem with the bigger 45 powder funnel.

I had the same problem with my RCBS - it does not seem to like the flake powder. I bought a Lee Perfect Powder for cheap money and use it just for the Clays - it works flawlessly.

Boolit Bub
    I use clays and bullseye in an old dillon 450 for 45acp with no trouble.

I have used Clays and Universal Clays in a Dillon for years--have both the older powder measures and the newer twin arm one.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    Dillon measures do well with Clays for me. You should have no problem.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Dillon measures do well with Clays for me. You should have no problem.
    Ditto,
    I've run 30K or so of H&G 130's with 3.5-3.8 of clays with my 550.
    Al

While I don't use the 550 for 45, all of the dillon measures except the SD interchange and they all use the same powder bars. Loaded for 45 using Clays for years.

From the first batch to the ones I shot last weekend, have all been fine.

Boolit Master
    You might pull the powder bar and make sure it has no trash in it. It happens. Some guys polish so the powder will flow better. I have problems with Unique and found the suggestion on this site to tape an fish tank bubbler to the powder funnel. Works great. the vibration keeps the powder moving.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    I've put a lot of clays and universal clays through my Dillon powder measure with narry a problem
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master
    My 550B doesn't have trouble with Clays at all, I use the stock Dillon measure.

Boolit Master
    Same here for my 550. No problem.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the reply there fellas, yesterday I pulled the small powder bar off and rubbed some "Flitz" on it and then reassembled it, I figured it couldn't hurt only help.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonCaster View Post
    Thanks for the reply there fellas, yesterday I pulled the small powder bar off and rubbed some "Flitz" on it and then reassembled it, I figured it couldn't hurt only help.
    Next time, go ahead and polish the funnel portion of the measure as well. It'll help the flow as well. The more stuff you polish, the smoother things get during operation.

As an aside, the Lee measures and the Dillon measures tend to handle spherical shaped powders better and the Hornady & RCBS measures tend to do better with larger powders and extruded powders. Again, all the measures work better/best with some fine tuning.

Boolit Master
    I load 45 ACP on my 550 using Clays with a Dillon Powder Measure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 550.jpg  
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

keeping the hopper full always helps with flake powders.I also use clays for 45acp,and every time I check,it's right on unless the measure is below half full.

I have used the Dillon 550 powder measure, with small bar, Clays, for 45ACP for years. It works very well.
    I read every post in this thread and they contain a few tips which are helpful if any one needs to "fine tune" their 550/clays load for power factor qualification.

regards,

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    Next time, go ahead and polish the funnel portion of the measure as well. It'll help the flow as well. The more stuff you polish, the smoother things get during operation.

As an aside, the Lee measures and the Dillon measures tend to handle spherical shaped powders better and the Hornady & RCBS measures tend to do better with larger powders and extruded powders. Again, all the measures work better/best with some fine tuning.
    I did polish the powder funnel while I was at it but thanks for the advise.

NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

So are you trying to use the RCBS PM on your Dillon 550B or are you using a Dillon measure?

You shouldn't have any problems with getting the Dillon measure to run that powder easily.

The RCBS is another matter as it doesn't work the same way and doesn't get jarred around like the Dillon one does.

The up and down clunking motion of the Dillon helps to seat/fill the powder charge in the charge bar, insuring complete filling on the charge bar everytime.

AS long as it is somewhat clean it will function perfectly for a long time.

I love all of mine (3ea) and even run an old one on my PW Metal Matic II for loading .223's.

Randy
    Attachment 65038
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Hmmmmm....... That Met II looks familiar??? Nice set up Randy!

I love reloading rifle ammo on mine!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.