Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: When do you consider a nipple to be worn out and ready for replacement?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • After a specified number of shots. (Please specify in a reply.)

0 0%
  • When caps begin fragmenting.

2 4.88%
  • When the hammer begins lifting enough to release significant pressure.

12 29.27%
  • When the hammer is lifted to half cock.

6 14.63%
  • Never, nipples last indefinitely.

4 9.76%
  • Other. (Please specify in a reply.)

17 41.46%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worn out nipple? Poll

Boolit Buddy
    There are a lot of variables that contribute to mipple wear. These include the material that the nipple is made from, the type and quantity of the powder charge and the projectile type and weight. A heavy powder charge shooting a large bullet will wear a nipple much faster than a light charge and a small round ball.
    When I remove the nipple for cleaning after shooting I always check the flash hole at the bottom of the nipple. If it shows any noticable wear or enlargement it is replaced. I always try and keep a few new spares around.

just my thoughts .... Pete

Boolit Grand Master

All right a brand new Ampco nipple has a # 75 number drill size hole. In 100 yard testing when working with our cross stick guns years ago we found that by the time the nipple had eroded to a #50 hole it was throwing shots. By the time your hammer is coming back you are way too big. We didn't have high speed cameras but we reasoned that after getting close to a 50 hole the hammer was moving enough to case minor deviation in gas leakage. The groups willl open up with stringing. For hunting large game at close range you can get by with a slightly worn, say 57-50 hole but for absolute best target accuracy you want the same diameter hole that you sighted the rifle in with or under 60 drill size.

With a flintlock I start with a #50 drill for a touchhole liner and replace it once it is over a 1/16th.

one a year. or when the flash hole starts to inlarge.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Master

I have not replaced a nipple since I started using a Knight hot shot stainless steel nipples these nipples were colored red and have 1/4-28 threads . I did cause a range officer a fright with that red color as he thought I was capping at the loading bench! The color is gone now but it took some time.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I've never had a hammer go to half cock.
    For hunting it is good to have a larger hole for the reliability. It is very important to have caps popping through with great force after cleaning. So, a big hole can be a good thing. Sitting at the bench it's not a big deal if she goes pop and no boom.

Boolit Master

No arguing that a larger hole may be more reliable, but never tested if for sure. I hunt with a completely clean and dry gun so fouling in the flash channel is no issue. It does become an issue on occassion at the range- then it's just a matter of cleaning at the range and starting again.

I just thought of a couple more reasons I like a small hole and limited blow back. 1) I shoot a few old originals and a large hole with lots of blow back really eats away at wood and finish and it puts a lot more fouling into lock parts and under the barrel. 2) When shooting a flinter I know that there is going to be lots of "action" before the ball leaves but with a caplock all that stuff blowing out, including in some cases hitting the face, is not good for shooting or flinching.

Boolit Master

From another board; this writer says he has never worn a nipple out or broke one:

"What on earth did you take the darned nipples out for in the first place? All you needed to do was boil the cylinder in water, and the entire cylinder would have been squeaky clean, nipples and all! In fract it would have been SURGICALLY
    CLEAN! I have shoot black powder pistols for years, and have NEVER removed a nipple in my life! These guys who advocate removing nipples each time they shoot the gun, in my considered opinion are nuts! I had a pair of eight inch barreled Remingtons from 1988, until 2002. That's fourteen years. When my wife disposed of them,they were still giving excellent service, and for at least ten years had been fired regularly about once a week! Screw the other nipples you have already taken out back in,and place the cylinder nipples up in a pan of water,and bring it to the boil! Because the open ends of the chambers will be downward,the water will boil up through the chambers,and because the holes in the nipples are smaller, the hot steam will force out any crud that may be there, and your cylinder will be surgically clean! Removing nipples is a pure waste of time! Once you have removed the cylinder from the water, (Using a stiff piece of wire.) place them nipples upon a double sheet of paper towel, and let them dry. They will be so hot,all moisture will evaporate before any rust can even think of forming! You can reload them with powder, wads, and balls straight away! By the time they are cool enough to handle, they will be ready to reload! There are several members on this forum who will tell you that you should remove them each time you shoot, but as my experience has taught me,this is totally un-necessary! In England,many years ago I had two cap & Ball revolvers,and never removed a nipple on either of them. Try my way, and you will save a Hell of a lot of time! "
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A larger vent is not more reliable, it is less reliable. The idea of the smaller hole, is to constrict the power of the prime charge as it enters the powder channel. The smaller the channel, the hotter and more concentrated the spark is to the charge.
    I agree with not removing the nipple every time. I was taught many years ago to not do that, as the threads will eventually wear, needing an oversize nipple to replace it.
    I was told to only remove the nipple maybe once a year, to put a new coat of grease on the threads.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Accuracy starts falling off. With roundball guns they seem to last forever, but bullet firing guns can eat them up as quick as 20 shots.

Boolit Master
    i changed the nipple on my cva hawken, and the groups went south. i changed it cause it started hang firing, so i'll go back with the other nipple.

Boolit Master
    the only reasons I've ever replaced nipples are abuse by previous owners..dry-firing for the most part mashing nipples. I did replace a nipple on a CVA caplock for a guy who allowed it to rust in place then twisted it off..

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    i changed the nipple on my cva hawken, and the groups went south. i changed it cause it started hang firing, so i'll go back with the other nipple.
    That isn't the nipple. You have breech fouling. Scrape and soak it clean. Proper maintenance cures 95% of ML problems.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Except for ROAs, I replace the nipples with Ampcos, and replace them when they start to enlarge. Enlarge how much I couldn't tell you; I made my field gauge by gluing a numbered bit in a handle about 30 years ago--maybe a dozen sizes over the original size. Its been a long time . . . .