Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flare up...

flare up...

forgot to ask....

when fluxing i sometimes get a flare up from the bees wax...flames shoot up and then die down....how normal is this...it does not happen all the time....

thanks

Boolit Master

Walp, you can see that it does happen all the time, by using a match.

Flareup is perfectly normal, just the combustible gasses being ignited by the heat from the melt. Usual procedure is to light it off anyway, to reduce noxious odors. I like to think of the flame as evil thoughts leaving my fevered brain.

Other board denizens have advised to keep combustibles or treasures from above the pot and to ensure that the flames can't reach your ceiling.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by quiknot View Post
    forgot to ask....

when fluxing i sometimes get a flare up from the bees wax...flames shoot up and then die down....how normal is this...it does not happen all the time....

thanks
    See
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...4&postcount=16
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

In Remebrance

I use it for removing ear hair and nostril hair. Once you get the hang of it it's a lot less painful than when you're first learning. Truth be told, your eyebrows and mustache do grow back in thicker than before. All part of the learning process.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret View Post
    I use it for removing ear hair and nostril hair. Once you get the hang of it it's a lot less painful than when you're first learning. Truth be told, your eyebrows and mustache do grow back in thicker than before. All part of the learning process.
    and I thought I was the only guy to go around with one eyebrow.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    quiknot:

That's normal, for beeswax; apparently the "flashpoint" is right in the middle of our working heat range - sometimes it flashes, and other times it just sizzles and goes off as smoke. As Nueces says, you can also pre-empt the flare by lighting it off with a match (or a "sparker").

By the way, when we shut off the pilot lights on our propane cooktop (which were very unreliable, noisy and smoky in spite of all the adjustments in the book), we cut our propane usage to less than half. That'll buy you a LOT of sparkers, plus a good pile of brass, primers , powder or alloys.

floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Since I received the Great Revelation from Waksupi, "right here in River City", I've taken to using a simple hardwood dowel for fluxing.

While others have been using sticks of stovewood or other random sorts of wooden "fluxers", I find that hardware-store/lumber-yard dowels are quite consistent in their moisture content. A one-foot length of 3/4" or 1" dowel will do a LOT of fluxing, getting the carbon well down into the melt and still containing enough moisture for a moderate bubbling reaction to carry the crud to the top.

An additional benefit to using dowel is that I can scrape the daylights out of the sides of the pot while fluxing, which gives a better cleaning action. Also, nice clean hardwood smoke SMELLS GOOD, compared to the horrendous smoking miscellany of oils, waxes, greases etc that I used in my "un-enlightened days".
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Bruce, I'm "uppity" now. Grumble sent me some pinion pine to stir the pot with. Love that smell!

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

FWIW: I have been using a paint stir stick,,,all the above revelations apply.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Moderator Emeritus

Too late now, but a stripped christmas tree branch works fine. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, I gotta ask.......doesn't the moisture content of the wood run the risk of setting up steam explosions? I don't need the Tinsel Fairy scattering debris all over the casting area--there's enough damn women in my garage as it is. The funky odors tend to repel them--and I count that as a good thing.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remebrance

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SharpsShooter View Post
    and I thought I was the only guy to go around with one eyebrow.

SS
    I used to have 2 eyebrows, but I had the upper one removed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret View Post
    I used to have 2 eyebrows, but I had the upper one removed.
    Funny you say that, my upper eyebrow removal reaches to the top of my head!

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Al View Post
    OK, I gotta ask.......doesn't the moisture content of the wood run the risk of setting up steam explosions? I don't need the Tinsel Fairy scattering debris all over the casting area--there's enough damn women in my garage as it is. The funky odors tend to repel them--and I count that as a good thing.

Al: Here in the Ohio River Valley humidity seldom falls below 50% and 90 to 95% is not unusual. Here air dried wood will stabilize at about 15% moisture content, in a drier climate, it will be less. In my VERY HUMID basement I usually get some vigorous bubbleing, but so far have not had any splatter. So......no need to be concerned.

Jerry

Another fan of the hardwood dowel here.

jar

What do you think of the Marveluxe (sp)???

Clint
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

Marvelux is a decent flux but the fumes will rust any tool within range "like, RIGHT NOW!"
    Dale53

Banned

Talking

I figured out how to keep all of you happy, get a good flux and never know when to quit until all of the lead is gone! Flux with some WEED---HEE, HEE.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd suggest that beeswax is for boolit lube, and too valuable for fluxing. If you're gonna flux with carbon based material, use parafin, candle stubs, crayons, peanut oil, lard, motor oil, or even dry leaves.

I've never used the "stick" method......are you guys saying you can flux a 50 pound batch of dirty wheelweights with a stick?

Boolit Buddy
    A question.
    Several years ago some one gave me a big bundle of 'grease wood' fire starters.
    How would these work for fluxing?
    Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.