Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone use bluedot in cast loads?

Banned

anyone use bluedot in cast loads?

Gentlemen,

I have a pound of bluedot powder left over from a shotgun loading project. I was wondering if it has any application for cast loads in rifles? I'm playing with 8X57mm & 7.62X54R at the moment.

Thanks

SSB

Boolit Bub
    Haven't tried it in rifles but have been using a lot of it in my .475 Linebaugh with excellent results.

Boolit Master

I've had very good results with a .310 Cadet but that is a very small capacity case. I don't know how it will work in the bigger cases.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Yes, 8.5-9.0/BD in .222 Rem with a 55ish gr boolit and a pistol primer. I got that load from Felix. sundog

Boolit Master

I have used Blue dot for both cast and jacketed for years in rifles and pistol .

Here is a Link to some 45/70 load data on Accurate Reloading with J bullets .
    There is a guy there that has posted a lot of different cal. loads with Blue dot , all jacketed .
    But I reduce the loads some and go from there .

Do a search at accuratere loading , Reloading for blue dot .

I shoot a fair amount of Blue dot/dirt in rifles .

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    Paul 5288 is a blue dot freak, I believe he has a blue dot load for everything.
    I am not sure, but I believe he takes 30% of the useable case capacity and calls that the max load with blue dot.
    Check him out on Handloads forum.

Boolit Master

18.0 and 311291 @ .309 in the K31 with a LR primer, the only load i'v got this swiss to shoot so far.
    Haven't tried it in any other rifle loads, but I'm going to.
    I will have to try sundog's load in my 788 222.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    I use BlueDot in .30 carbine (the M-1 carbine gun ), 30-30 & .444 Marlin. I have not given it a try in .30-06 size cartridges. I'll bet it does great though. I have heard it is temperature sensitive. Don't have the details.

Thanks Johnch. I knew it was something like that.
    I looked up my .30-30 BlueDot Loads and they are just three plinkers:
    10.5gr. BlueDot with either RCBS 32-98, Lee 113gr. Soupcan, or Lyman 311316 hollowpoint. They all shot inside 1-1 1/2" @50 yds.
    Last edited by Newtire; 10-04-2006 at 10:14 PM. Reason: adding load info

Boolit Master

Blue dot is slightly temperature sensitive , less than 20 degrees from my experances .
    At least in shot gun loads .
    It tends to be harder to ignite and dosn't burn as well .
    Resulting in lower velositys , and crud in the barrel .

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I found BD to be very position sensitive in the 30-30.
    Jeff

Banned

never liked bluedot its one of those powders that seem to go from mild to wild with only a small increase in charge weight.

Boolit Mold
    I use it in the 357 but have never tried it in rifle loads.

Boolit Bub
    Anyone got a good start Ruger level load for .45 Colt using Blue Dot with a 280gr LBT?

Saw a load on handloads.com showing 13.5gr with a 260gr Keith so I would think 12gr would be a safe starting load.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Start at 13.5 with the 280 LBT, the version having a 70 percent meplat, LFN shape, in the Ruger, and then work DOWN if the load appears too hot for you. Use your 12 grain load if the meplat is the 80 percent version, called WFN, I think. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Lloyd, you are correct. BlueDot does not like to be crowded in pressure terms. It actually prefers light-for-caliber boolits for this reason. By the way, your package arrived. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Start at 13.5 with the 280 LBT, the version having a 70 percent meplat, LFN shape, in the Ruger, and then work DOWN if the load appears too hot for you. Use your 12 grain load if the meplat is the 80 percent version, called WFN, I think. ... felix
    Thanks. It is the WFN version.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Blue Dot in the .223. The BD loads are a lot quieter, move the rifle a bit less, don't heat the barrel as fast and the 50 Vmax's still blow things up very well. Accuracy is almost as good as full BLC2, etc. loads. The slower BD loads are a bit more wind sensitive.

They give the performance of a Hornet with better accuracy and none of the hornet's problems.

Have not tried them with milsurps.

Banned

hope you can make some use out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Lloyd, you are correct. BlueDot does not like to be crowded in pressure terms. It actually prefers light-for-caliber boolits for this reason. By the way, your package arrived. ... felix

Quote Originally Posted by mparks View Post
    Anyone got a good start Ruger level load for .45 Colt using Blue Dot with a 280gr LBT?

Saw a load on handloads.com showing 13.5gr with a 260gr Keith so I would think 12gr would be a safe starting load.
    I use 14.0 under a 310 WFN, Starline brass and Remington 2-1/2 primers in my Ruger Bisley. It is a pretty stiff load but shows no pressure signs in my gun with the current batch of BD I've got. Your's may differ. I use 13.0 with a 270 grain Keith in my Mountain Gun and is about as much recoil as I want to take in the lighter Smith. The Ruger did not seem to like this bullet but the Mtn just loves it.

Boolit Master

I found Blue Dot quite by accident. The progressive press that I use did not like the ball powders (110,296, wc820) that I used for magnum pistols, the powder measure would bind. So I went looking for a substitute that would give me the velocity I wanted and was not fine grained like 296. Blue Dot seemed to fit the bill and as it turns out works quite well. In the .357 10.0/BD/358429 give 1200+fps out of a GP 100 with excellent accuracy. In the .44 mag 18.0 grs behind the Lyman 429421 gave 1393 fps out of a 7.5" Ruger SBH and 2 1/2" avg 6 shot 50 yd groups. Another place it works very well is in the 9mm for max velocity with cast. Using the Lee 121 tc bullet and 7.5 grs of BD you can get 1300+ fps with decent accuracy and very little leading. Thats 1/2 gr below the Alliant max and less than 29k psi! With the 147gr 5.6 gives an honest 1000 fps with very good accuracy. I think it's a great handgun powder. Nick