Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tried some Round ball

Boolit Master
    I find my patches between 15 and 20 yards from the muzzle. I also pre-saturate my patches.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    I find my patches between 15 and 20 yards from the muzzle. I also pre-saturate my patches.
    Mine are Oxyoke brand store bought and already lubed, I have 2 packages of 100 a package, 100 of the .015, and 100 of the .018 Ticking that is striped. I have enough to EASILY last me the rest of my life! Even if i live to 200!!

Banned
    that wouldnt last me a week of heavy shooting pilgrim!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    that wouldnt last me a week of heavy shooting pilgrim!
    Now lead, and onion skin paper are a WHOLE different ball game! I should buy stock in both. These purty .530 roundballs will melt down and make REALLY nice BIG boolits, so they aren't a total waste!

Boolit Master
    LOL this is good stuff!

I am having the same kind of trouble with PRB in the Lyman GPH. I thought I had it 'fixed', but, not yet. I also like the lack of recoil using the PRB vs 450 PP bullets.

Instead of PRB have you tried shorter bullets?

Banned
    The GPH has a 1:32 twist. A bit fast for a Patched ball unless you cut the powder back around 60gr 2fg.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try some .535 balls. Might just be surprised.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    LOL this is good stuff!

I am having the same kind of trouble with PRB in the Lyman GPH. I thought I had it 'fixed', but, not yet. I also like the lack of recoil using the PRB vs 450 PP bullets.

Instead of PRB have you tried shorter bullets?
    I have tried some paper patched Lyman Plains bullets, they are fairly short at .85, this rifle didn't shoot them any good either (my other 54s love them!!) The one thing i have not tried is a Greased Maxi ball WITHOUT an over powder wad. My dad told me he shot this rifle with Maxi balls and it shot good for him, Dad definitely knows what he is doing and his iron sight shooting has always been TOP SHELF. Back when he shot this gun it was before i had learned about over powder wads, so he would have been shooting the Lubed Maxi balls WITHOUT an over powder wad (bubba.50 swears by this method as well) I might get bored enough one day to try it? But regardless if it shoots good without an overpowder wad or not i stil have ZERO faith in this QLA muzzle, its gonna go away no matter what. I might as well wait til i get rid of the QLA, just a waste of powder, and lead. I'm not hurting for rifles, got all bases very well covered without this New Englander, so it's definitely at the bottom of my priority list

Perma-Banned
    I been known to swear at a few things but, I don't "swear to" anything. just said I've never used wads in my guns or seen the need to. if my guns would shoot any better WITH a wad I'd be scared to shoot'em.

Banned

lewis - stick with yer ppb's, you got that game wired and no need for patched balls.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    lewis - stick with yer ppb's, you got that game wired and no need for patched balls.
    rfd, I am sure i will shoot some Round ball thru my pistols, my expectations will be much lower, 25 yards will likely be my zone. After shooting ppb's as accurately as i have from 50 yards, all the way out to 500 yards, i am probably expecting WAY to much from a Stock 48 twist gun with Roundball.

Banned
    with a 1:48 twist, that rifle should do a whole lot better than 4" at 50 yards. Its a myth that the 1:48 twist is better for conicals than it is for round balls.

Perma-Banned
    with a 1:48 twist, that rifle should do a whole lot better than 4" at 50 yards. Its a myth that the 1:48 twist is better for conicals than it is for round balls.
    Im sure it would do better if i cared to mess with it, changing the patch ball combo, powder charge etc. Conical Bullets are my Game, Paper patched that is

Banned

every rifle is unique unto itself and will always take load testing to bring out its inherent best.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    every rifle is unique unto itself and will always take load testing to bring out its inherent best.
    Absolutely!!! None of my rifles shoot exactly the same stuff, from lead hardness, to sizing, powder charge, etc. Part of the fun is tinkering with them and finding out whats makes each one tick

Perma-Banned
    I know roundballs have, can, and will take anything on the planet that can be taken with a muzzleloader and I have nothin' against them. that bein' said, I just don't like the fuss & bother of havin' to fumble with a greasy patch, center the ball over it & the muzzle, smack it with a short starter, ram it down on the powder and to hafta do this every single shot. I can stand up ever how many Maxi-balls or Lee R.E.A.L.s I figger to need in a flat pan, melt some lube, pour to top groove, punch'em out after the lube sets and then I'm good to go in the field or at the range. get one out, push it into the muzzle with my thumb, ram it home & shoot.

and same thing if I was into this paper-patchin'. prepare yer bullets before ya leave the house & be ready to go.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    and same thing if I was into this paper-patchin'. prepare yer bullets before ya leave the house & be ready to go.
    This is what makes the Paper Patch bullet my favorite, is ease of use in the field. Same would apply for Pre Greased Maxi's.

Boolit Master
    How so? Mine shot them perfect and loaded perfect. Every tc hawken on the other hand, were super tight to reload and patched balls were another terrible problem to load. I remember I got a new one in, loaded one shot, fired, cleaned it and sold it a week later lol. Terrible rifle to reload.
    Were you using your 50 50 mix of soft lead and lead shot? When your using hard lead balls you can't really blame the rifle.

Remember Jon I told you that the lead will age harden.
    Last edited by idahoron; 05-31-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    I know roundballs have, can, and will take anything on the planet that can be taken with a muzzleloader and I have nothin' against them. that bein' said, I just don't like the fuss & bother of havin' to fumble with a greasy patch, center the ball over it & the muzzle, smack it with a short starter, ram it down on the powder and to hafta do this every single shot. I can stand up ever how many Maxi-balls or Lee R.E.A.L.s I figger to need in a flat pan, melt some lube, pour to top groove, punch'em out after the lube sets and then I'm good to go in the field or at the range. get one out, push it into the muzzle with my thumb, ram it home & shoot.

how about giving us your lube recipe

Not shoot round ball? Got the .515 ball mold for the .52 bore paper patch guns.
    What I don't have is time to dial in the .52 flinter Renegade with Lyman #512138.