MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tried some Round ball

Perma-Banned

Tried some Round ball

Tried it, didn't like it, and wont be messing with it anymore. .015 and Ticking .018 patches .530 Round ball, 60 Grains of Swiss 3F, shot about a 4" group at 50 Yards, Now we're cookin with peanut oil Waste of lead, powder, and time. My opinion of course

This was from my TC New Englander, i tried my paper patch bullets first with a felt over powder wad this time instead of the Vegetable fibre wads, same junk accuracy. The roundballs actually out shot the paper patch by a hair. The New Englander is gonna get a nice bath, dry it up good, pour it full of oil (should make a Tikki torch out of it, and put it in the yard) i might shoot it again years down the road if i come down with Dementia and forget how crappy it shot

Attachment 196507

Perma-Banned
    aw hell, just send that aggravatin' eyesore to my house so's ya don't have it settin' around mockin' ya anymore.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    aw hell, just send that aggravatin' eyesore to my house so's ya don't have it settin' around mockin' ya anymore.
    If it weren't for it being gifted to me bubba.50 I would have been rid of it a LONG LONG time ago! This little rifle is what started my obsession with Muzzleloaders, Sure a good thing i ended up finding 2 GM LRH barrels to REALLY set the fire in me, Cuz it sure as heck would have fizzled out LOOOONG ago with this thing! Its hard to shoot a gun like this after shooting my GM barrels, and set trigger Hawken, and Renegades. As i was leaving my shooting range this morning i glanced over at my 505 yard rock and smiled, thinking it would NEVER have happened, nor even came close with this little New Englander.

The ONLY thing I haven't tried with this rifle is greased Maxi balls, maybe one of these days it will be boring enough to try

Boolit Master
    54bore, you are being too hard on yourself. you made shots with a caplock that would make an inline shooter go crying home to mama. I cannot see you just giving up that easy.

Banned
    4" group at 50 yards won't make anyone cry other than the shooter!

I just got off the 100 yard range with my traditions st.louis hawken and did a 3" group. I hope to improve that, but for now, shes elk ready.

Never been a TC fan personally. I hate their super tight bores that barely load a powerbelt. I had one TC renegade that was an absolute dream with no problems. But that is the ONLY one ever! Everything else was a headache.

Boolit Master
    renegades were never cut to shoot powerbelts.

Banned
    How so? Mine shot them perfect and loaded perfect. Every tc hawken on the other hand, were super tight to reload and patched balls were another terrible problem to load. I remember I got a new one in, loaded one shot, fired, cleaned it and sold it a week later lol. Terrible rifle to reload.

Boolit Master
    Muzzle loaders are like women. You have to rub them just soo, in order to get them to perform the way you want them. I have two 54 cal renegades that shoot 4 inch groups if i do my part at 100 yards. Yes, patched rb do fit real tight. I live with it.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think 4" at 50y is all that great but not terrible bad either especially your first time out. You gun I am sure is capable of better. Just needs some load work done. You should be able to cut the 4" in half or less.
    Aim small, miss small!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    54bore, you are being too hard on yourself. you made shots with a caplock that would make an inline shooter go crying home to mama. I cannot see you just giving up that easy.
    What it really is with me is the Round Ball itself, i could probably get this gun to shoot Round Ball better, by playing with patch ball combo and powder charge, BUT why even bother when i have several other rifles that will cut this thing in half, and i am more comfortable with them. The New Englander is NOT a great fit for me. And shooting Round ball just doesn't excite me. Maybe in one of my pistols, but no Round balls for my rifles. I am definitely a boolit shooter, paper patched and sized that is

Banned

lewis, what's the twist on that rifle you patch balled? fast? (i'll bet).

Perma-Banned
    it's a stock New Englander so, that would be the T/C standard 1 in 48 twist.

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Tried it, didn't like it, and wont be messing with it anymore. .015 and Ticking .018 patches .530 Round ball, 60 Grains of Swiss 3F, shot about a 4" group at 50 Yards, Now we're cookin with peanut oil Waste of lead, powder, and time. My opinion of course

This was from my TC New Englander, i tried my paper patch bullets first with a felt over powder wad this time instead of the Vegetable fibre wads, same junk accuracy. The roundballs actually out shot the paper patch by a hair. The New Englander is gonna get a nice bath, dry it up good, pour it full of oil (should make a Tikki torch out of it, and put it in the yard) i might shoot it again years down the road if i come down with Dementia and forget how crappy it shot

Attachment 196507
    Just a passing thought, did you ever try a bullet in it that would slip down the bore despite that flat bottom on the QLA counterbore? The twist is too slow for a solid base but maybe a minie?
    Lyman made a real nice heavy skirt design .54 minie.
    There are also some dandy thin skirted ones on the market for lesser charges.
    Anyhow, just thinking out loud.

Boolit Buddy
    Now I offered you a cool custom new englander with a fast twist 52 cal barrel and you bowed out. When I get that thing up and running I don't want no tears for the deadly piece that its sure to be. LOL. Its coming together, waiting on wads and sizer die.

Banned
    I'd start taking 5 shot groups as well. To me the first 2 shots look great, then you got the flier.

By chance, did you pick up and inspect the patches for tears or holes?

Boolit Master
    Mine come out good enough to use again.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    I'd start taking 5 shot groups as well. To me the first 2 shots look great, then you got the flier.

By chance, did you pick up and inspect the patches for tears or holes?
    I only shot the 3 Round Balls and I couldn't find a patch, i looked but didn't find one. The place i was shooting today has some fairly tall green grass and other vegetation. About how far do you usually find the patches from the barrel? Im sure it varies, but a rough estimate?

Perma-Banned
    The one thing that i REALLY noticed when i shot the Round Balls was lack of Recoil which was quite welcoming! After shooting the big 460 Grain bullets it was nice to get 'bumped' instead of Walloped

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    it's a stock New Englander so, that would be the T/C standard 1 in 48 twist.
    bubba.50 is correct, this one is stock 1:48 Twist

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleysboss View Post
    Now I offered you a cool custom new englander with a fast twist 52 cal barrel and you bowed out. When I get that thing up and running I don't want no tears for the deadly piece that its sure to be. LOL. Its coming together, waiting on wads and sizer die.
    I know, i know!! I actually thought about that barrel on the ride home!! LOL, I REALLY DID!