RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    If the thin sections are easily bent with thumb pressure and it met the other form factors, I'd give it a go. In my experience, non pewter silver plate does not pass the thumb pressure test.
    Well someone liked it. Was gone when they opened this morning. I'll add EPBM to my list of possible tin/pewter like "possibilities". Did snag last two 30 lb. bars of plain. Another caster already took the other 10.

Boolit Mold
    Wracked up at the flea market today. Sorry for the busy background in the picture. My shop is so full, I don't have an empty place to set them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pewter_4-26-14.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	103309
    The two pitchers together weigh 3 lbs 4 oz., and I got both for $11. The tankards came from another dealer and were $2 ea, but I got all 6 for $10. All the tankards are trophy cups engraved with dates ranging from 1956-1963. Each one weighs a little over a pound including the glass bottom. Total haul was right at 10 lbs for $21. The guy had 5-6 more tankards but they didn't say pewter on the bottom. I wasn't sure how to tell if they are actually pewter. A couple of them had solid bottoms and the bottoms looked sort of like cast aluminum that had been finished off with sandpaper. I decided not to risk turning a good haul into a mediocre one, so I passed on them. But I'm probably going back in the morning just to look at them again.The glass bottom ones looked just like the ones with a hallmark. Do some pewter tankards not have the hallmark? Are there any telltale signs that it is real pewter if it doesn't say so?
    Last edited by cr2; 04-26-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Grab the top of a tankard and squeeze it. Notice how it bends and doesn't want to go back to it's old shape. You might notice a slight crackling noise as it bends. That's the tin cry. You shouldn't see a casting seam or a rivet to hold the handle on. Most tankards are like #3&4 in your picture which will weigh about 8-9 ounces when you remove the glass and caulk. Unroll the bottom outer edge, remove the retaining ring, and pop the glass out from the inside.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cr2 View Post
    -snip-
    A couple of them had solid bottoms and the bottoms looked sort of like cast aluminum that had been finished off with sandpaper. I decided not to risk turning a good haul into a mediocre one, so I passed on them.
    Good choice. That is stereotypical Wilton / Pewtarex / not pewter construction.

-more snipping-
    Are there any telltale signs that it is real pewter if it doesn't say so?
    Not really a telltale, more a preponderance of the evidence. Read the first post again. Look at the forms of your known pewter tankards. Jsizemore has good advice regards the easy bending nature of genuine alloy. There is plenty of unmarked pewter out there, but if you aren't sure, it is better to walk away. There will be more around the corner.

Congrats on a nice haul!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by cr2 View Post
    Sorry for the busy background in the picture. My shop is so full, I don't have an empty place to set them.
    LOL. Hell, I thought you took that pic in my shop. Ammo in box inserts, citric acid powder, blue Dawn, hot plate, 4-jaw lathe chuck... When did you come by and steal my debris and why didn't I notice it was gone?
    Nice haul, BTW.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2295.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	105231
    Nothing new, just seemed appropriate. That's a 17.69 oz. Stieff glass-bottomed mug, with a Texas International Gun Club emblem on it. The engraving says, "S.W. Zone Championships, Preliminary Day, Junior, 1968." Making the circle of life, I guess. Buck ninety-five. The ugly Scents & Accents candle ring weighs 3.84 ounces and scratches with my thumbnail -- I expect a high lead content, but it was only 33 cents. The box of paraffin was a nice 60 cent find. All this, and change back from my 3 dollars. Better than McDonald's.

mike

Boolit Master
    Even with the glass in the weight, that's a great haul Mike. I would melt the candle base seperate in case it's some white or pot metal which could be anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Even with the glass in the weight, that's a great haul Mike. I would melt the candle base seperate in case it's some white or pot metal which could be anything.
    Yeah, it'll definitely be on its own, even though it says it's "(c) 1999 American Pewter." I've gotten things like this before that were more lead than tin. LOL.

mike

Boolit Grand Master

A Royal Selangor tea set. 97% tin. This one goes in the personal stash.

The 4 inch creamer is 10.2 ounces. The 3.5 inch sugar is 11 ounces. The 7 inch teapot is 1 pound 13.5 ounces, and a nice heavy 12 inch tray at 2 pounds 3 ounces.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-13-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Very nice.

Boolit Mold
    Hello!

First post, long time caster. Not sure how I've missed this site. I guess since I shoot mostly .45 ACP, .38 and 357, it's never been much of an issue and what I've done in the past seemed to work for me.

Up until the past few years I've never had a hard time finding lead WW's and I've been using them since the early 90's. Now, they are hard to find and I've found a few other sources that are no longer free and some of it is soft lead (roof flashing and diving weights). I've been looking for pewter to harden up a few batches. Has anyone seen a "Web" emblem with a "W" in the center of a spider web? I've scrolled through several pages in this thread without much luck. Google image didn't help either.

Thanks a million.

http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_W2.html

Quote Originally Posted by cgs500 View Post
    Hello!

First post, long time caster. Not sure how I've missed this site. I guess since I shoot mostly .45 ACP, .38 and 357, it's never been much of an issue and what I've done in the past seemed to work for me.

Up until the past few years I've never had a hard time finding lead WW's and I've been using them since the early 90's. Now, they are hard to find and I've found a few other sources that are no longer free and some of it is soft lead (roof flashing and diving weights). I've been looking for pewter to harden up a few batches. Has anyone seen a "Web" emblem with a "W" in the center of a spider web? I've scrolled through several pages in this thread without much luck. Google image didn't help either.

Thanks a million.
    First, welcome to the site.

Second, I haven't noticed the hallmark you described but I tried my hand at Google'fu and found the link above. It looks like it may be silver plate.
    Last edited by NewbieDave007; 05-26-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: autocorrect is killing me today

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieDave007 View Post
    http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_W2.html

First, welcome to the site.

Second, I haven't noticed the hallmark you described but I tried my hand at Google'fu and found the link above. It looks like it may be silver plate.
    Thanks!

The EG Webster & Son (third down of the left) is exactly what I saw. I picked up 2.61 lbs of pewter today for 5.00 and the tray with the marking I described was on the same shelf. It didn't feel like pewter but it kinda looked the part.

That's the one I thought you were describing. Congrats on the rest. Nice score.

Boolit Grand Master

Less than a deuce a pound is good scrounging. Welcome aboard cgs500!

Boolit Mold
    don't over look key fobs when looking for pewter a friend worked in a trophy shop they csat thousands of key fobs out of pewter for golf turnenments and business perks they weren't marked as pewter I got a few pounds worth of the rejects

Boolit Man
    Today's flea market finds. 2.8 lbs, $5 total. Both have the same hallmark: Royal Holland Pewter.

Boolit Grand Master

A deuce a pound is good scrounging! Congrats on the finds!

Dang it, I forgot about this thread for the past year or so and have found around 70lbs of pewter that I should have recorded the hallmarks on here but forgot... Sorry Dale!

What got me thinking of this thread was, I found a plate in a thrift store today that didnt say pewter but I remembered the hallmark of the angel... Its the same plate as in one of the posts here.

I will start taking pics first instead of crushing and melting so the wife doesnt say "hey that's nice" she got a few that way before I started bending or crushing as soon as I paid for them.

Doc

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    My big find of the year so far was a cup this week, Salisbury Pewter, 5.5 oz for a quarter.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.