Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greener Single Shot

Boolit Master

Greener Single Shot

Two years ago, I aquired a Kit of Castings plus Timber and Barrel for a 12 Gauge Greener type Martini GP Shot Gun. These where retailed by Brownells many years ago.This Kit had been with the previous owner a long time.Some parts where missing, ( Extractor and Cocking Pawl ) Which I made.Using an ex Swedish Rolling Block 8 MM Barrel, one turn in fourteen inches it is now a 32.40 Single Shot Rifle.The casting required Filing, polishing and case hardening. I used the kit Butstock and made a new Forend.I shortened the Barrel at the Breach end, made a Chamber Reamer.I ordered 32.40 Brass from Buffalo Arms (100 ), made a Bullet ( Boolit ) Mold. Had the Rifle Proofed at the Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House.The Cases take 40 Grains of Fine Black Powder. The Bullet weighs 180 Grains. She shoots good and even ejects the cases with a fast pull of the underlever.Fitted a Tang Sight and a Tunnel Foresight.
    Since then we can no longer purchase Cartridge Components from the USA due to recent U.S legislation.Good Job I stocked up on 45.70s and the 32.40s.They are obtainable here from Agents but at a massive mark up.

Uh-uh - Without pics, it never happened.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Uh-uh - Without pics, it never happened.

Forgot to say that I made a liner out of the 8mm Rolling Block Barrel and lined a 20 Gauge Barrel and Threaded it to match the Martini Frame.I Colour Case Hardened the Frame by packing it in an old Ammo Box, packing Hoof, Bone, Horn and Charcoal round it. Loaded my Own made Barbeque with wood and Charcoal, Attatched the Blower side of a Cylinder Vacuum cleaner into it. Blasted the Box until everythig glowed Red then turned everything into a Tub of cold water with an Air line agitating it.I then Repolished the Breach Block bright.
    The Barrel I blacked the old slow rust method, Boiling between passes. It took four passes to bring it to a nice Black lustre.
    It is a Takedown Rifle, operated by a lever through the Split Breach. It fits nicely in a Leg o Mutton Leather Case.

Boolit Master

I'm with pietro, show me the pictures. I'm a little bit of a Martini nut.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a great rifle, but we need PICTURES.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I'm with pietro, show me the pictures. I'm a little bit of a Martini nut.

Bob
    Hi Boz and Leadman, as soon as I get my Head around sending Pics to this site I will put them in.
    Whilst I am here, I also obtained a Mauser 71 Single Shot Action and Fitted a 45.70 Barrel to it.The barrel was from an AIB 410 Smooth Bored Sharps Rifle that I rebarreled for a Friend.I square Reamed the 410 up to .450 and Rifled it using my Original 451 Whitworth Rifle Barrel as the Guide with a Hard cast Lead Slug cast onto the Rod. It is One turn in Twenty Inches.I also made the Chamber Reamer and the Rifling Head.This Rifle passed Proof at the Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House.The original Stock was falling apart so I modified an old Austrian 22 Rimfire Stock and fitted all the Mauser Furniture to it plus a Tang Sight.She looks like an early Hunting Rifle
    Regards.

Boolit Master
    smashing. old school all the way.

Boolit Master
    Anyone care to enlighten me how to post Images to this site.

If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Anyone care to enlighten me how to post Images to this site.
    Resize your images to a reasonable 6, 8 or 10 inches wide. If you have the software, you can ensure that they are sharp. There is free software available that will do the basic image manipulation. They can be found using a search engine such as Google. Once ready, upload them to a free service such as Photo Bucket. In Photobucket you can copy the "IMG copy" link in the list that will appear at the bottom of each image by left clicking the URL. It copies automatically. Paste that in your message. In your message, when you compose it, the link will appear as (example)

[img]picture[/img]

Link to Photobucket: http://s70.photobucket.com/

Example photo from photobucket:

It's pretty easy to do and you'll figure it out in no time.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, doubs43,for the valuable info. These PCs sure boil my Head. Duh.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with you on that one Col, I drive my Son nut's, Thanks to all that posted links here for posting pics, someday I'll get brave and give it a try, then call my Son, LOL..........steg

Longwood
    I don't use Photobucket, I simply find the photo in my computers albums (after downloading it from the camera) then right click on it, edit it with Photoshop by clicking on image then resizing too 20%, click on file and save as is. Now go back to the reply page and using go advanced, manage attachments, then click on the photo again and it is done.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking you too much space!

Boolit Master

Here you go Pietro,I was just reading back through past posts.

Col 4570, I wish you lived closer to me. You are someone I would like to spend a lot of time talking to. There are not many people you meet who are willing to do things like that any more. Congratulations on your projects, you are one fine mechanic.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Hi Nobade ,this is the Mauser I was talking about.

Boolit Master

Nice work, both of them
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Beautiful rifles! My hat is off to you!

Boolit Master
    sweeet deal on both guns. I used to know a nice thicket in Stirlingshire you could have left the air outa a nice red deer years ago with either of those tools of the trade! Good job.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Extraordinary work COL4570

I really like the Martini. Ever since I saw Michael Caine's Zulu I have wanted one. Really nice Mauser also, looks like Cow Horn Grip Cap and Foreend. Hows that Stock handling the Recoil, wondering if you fitted some hidden Crossbolts ??. I do not understand the ridiculous export regulations the USA has legislated myself. It gets quite frustrating when forced to pay triple the price for goods assuming they can be sourced locally.

Must say again I like your Martini.

regards Jacko
    "To my deep mortification my father once said to me,'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."'

- Charles Darwin