RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small Ring Mauser in 25/20

Embed a Savage 25/20 detachable magazine inside the .25/20/rebarreled Spanish Mauser's gutted magazine well (bedding compound), towards the forward end, adjusting for the correct feeding height B 4 bedding it in there, and enjoy.

Boolit Master
    So did Kimber
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Grand Master

I bought the tools to remove and install the Mauser barrels along time ago. Have had a couple of actions that had to soak a couple of days in mineral spirits but never twisted one. I am going to install the 7 X 57 Midway barrel on the action that now has the 7.62 X 39 on it in the morning.
    Then when the NOS 1891 Argentine barrel gets here I will install it on my military 1891. This way if I need a chamber reamer for the 1891 I can rent it at the same time as the 93 Mauser that will have the short chambered 7 X 57 on it.

To the OPs rifle as stated earlier trying to make it a repeater might be hard. Rhineland Arms makes some conversion kits to shoot 45 acp and I think 9mm. Possibly they have something that would work to install a magazine that would feed in your gun.

The 7x57 is a nice looking cartridge, well balanced with plenty performance and it has history. I wanted to compromise and chamber a Lee Enfield in 7x57 Rimmed. Best of both worlds. Then the wheels came off and projects got pushed onto back burner. Ah well. Come to think of it, a 25/20 would be quite fun on a Lee Enfield and I happen to have one or two that would be suitable and if I recall, cases are available in my parts.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-12-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

In a Mauser, I don't see why you couldn't barrel it up for 257 Roberts or 250 Savage and just load it really light. 25-20 ballistics and none of the headaches of trying to make it work right.

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy

257 Roberts is easy, but that's not what he wants. My wife wanted a BMW, we got a BMW.

Soak the joints with Kroil where the barrel meets the receiver inside and out for a few days. I have a big barrel wrench from Brownell's that you just drill a hole in a piece of hard wood like oak or hickory and then saw in half. A 10 ton hydraulic press with wood blocks and angle iron served me well before I had the heavy barrel vice. Wrap a layer of duct or Gorilla tape on the barrel, rosin dust the drilled blocks, and clamp the barrel over the chamber.
    I use a basic action wrench with a flat on one side and "V" on the top. Place a piece of leather strap, like old belt, in the "V" to protect the round top of the action. Place the bolt back in the receiver and snug it up. Just snug it up tight to no play or wiggle, you aren't trying to crush anything. Screw the handle in the head and put body weight/good tug on the wrench. If it resists, add a pipe for leverage. If that fails, get out the hand sledge and give it a good love smack. Usually a good tug with the pipe extension on the receiver wrench or a good whack on the handle with the hand sledge pops it free.
    Failing all that, I have cut a slot in the circumference of the shoulder of the barrel close to the receiver and that relieves a lot of tension, usually making it easy to unscrew the receiver from the barrel.