Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prewar Garand with two digit serial?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Prewar Garand with two digit serial?

There is a pawn shop nearby that claims to have a 1937 M1 Garand for sale, serial number 80. They want $1500.00 firm for it. I haven't been able to see the rifle in person yet but I'm finding this kind of hard to believe. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I'm not a Garand guy myself, but if this thing is legit it could be a great collectible. What say you? Anything in particular I should look for?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    If it is a true piece it should have any variety of early features. First and foremost it should be a gas trap gas system.

Boolit Master
    $1500 for even any decent Garand is totally feasible these days; /any/ original parts will dramatically increase its value far beyond that.

A skeptical review might yield dividends; i.e. verifying it's not a welded receiver where the heel stamp wouldn't agree with the drawing number on the front right side of the receiver.

Are we allowed to post FB links here? If so, I can do that. Or just PM me.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Lots of good advice here. I would check closely to be sure the receiver wasn't welded. Some weld jobs were very well done, but it's hard to disguise in the bolt channel. I wouldn't expect a gas trap, as most of them were converted to the gas cylinder system. I once had a 3 digit specimen, but a friend insisted on owning it. It's not too hard to imagine that 2 and even 1 digit specimens can turn up, as they were made and are out there somewhere. Probably the very low numbers were never shipped overseas. You may have a real collectable here, and the price is not out of line with today's prices.

DG

If it's the real deal, and doesn't look like it was run over by a train---I'd grab it.
    It is also one of those deals where if you play around 'thinking about it',,,,, when you finally decide to go back in, it'll be gone.

Most of that real low serial number stuff never makes it to the open market.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

The pic indicates it's been totally redone. Even with that the price is way too low? No pic of the receiver stamping and serial number?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Will go look at it tomorrow. I may roll the dice and put it in layaway to do more research on it.

Super Moderator

FergusonTO35,

I hope that it's a legit 2 digit SN, and that you can get it at that price! Even if it's a post war rebuild, the cool factor of a 2 digit SN is off the charts. I hope that you can score it so you can post pictures for all of us to drool over. Good luck!

have an expert check it out - check carefully if it is a reweld - contact the garandguy in rahway new jersey, he is an expert on the early gas trap garands - sounds like to good a deal to be true, especially from a dealer -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Thanks, will do

False alarm. I stopped by the shop on the way home and it's a seven digit with import marks. I think the employee who made the FB post is more than a little clueless, to put it nicely.

Boolit Buddy
    And here I thought my 25,### serial number Garand was special even though it has been reparkerized. LOL

Boolit Master
    I'm honestly curious as how a 7-digit Garand can be mistaken for SN# 80 - or any 2-digit for that matter ?

The poor lady at the shop seemed dumbfounded as I pointed out the seven digit serial number. She said she was just going on what the guy that sold it to them said about it. I really hope she isn't the one doing the 4473's cause they aren't going to have their FFL much longer if so!

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    She said she was just going on what the guy that sold it to them said about it.

Where is that shop?
    I need to spray paint a Italian SAA .45 silver and bring it in.
    The revolver General Patton carried all through his career should be worth plenty.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Where is that shop?
    The revolver General Patton carried all through his career should be worth plenty.
    There is a bit of "testimony" to the knowledge base we (shooters, casters, reloaders) share, as opposed to MANY who, to be blunt, have zero knowledge re anything vis firearms. In my years, too, I have (with a smile on) brought even to gun-dealers attention at shows where they had signage on a firearm -- with its calibre listed being most incorrect. (My "favourite" was a .45-70 rifle labeled, as well as being sold with a box of ammo: ".45ACP"!!!) Most (gun)shop owners I've known are MUCH more concerned with an employee's level of honesty and trust -- more than his or her knowledge of firearms. Annnd, the more one needs PAY an employee -- those $$$s get added to the tag on every firearm in the shop!
    My "old" Garand was made by Springfield in November of 1942 and it bears a 1,007,xxx serial number. Seven digits. Generally acknowledged as the highest number in existence of ANY M1 Garand is, if I correctly recall, serial number 6,100,499. Also seven digits.
    The suggestion re ascertaining the receiver was not welded is a great one!!! Noting OP indicated it is an import -- it may be worthy to ascertain the import marks were not stamped in (as one importer did!) with enough force to permanently damage the rifle! (You can Google this).
    $1,500.00? In my neck of the woods, if rifle has a non-welded receiver nor a scrunched barrel from said Import Mark application -- even if it is a "mixmaster" of parts -- it does not seem to be an out-of-line price. Stock cartouches, barrel condition...general lack of pits (generally below wood line) -- being all "plusses".
    Vis this price, I do not reckon I'd speed to shop, but it surely would be, imho, worth a look. Garands ain't being made no more (sic)!
    geo

Where is that shop?
    Harper's Pawn Shop in Winchester, KY! I think that would be pretty funny.

Boolit Grand Master

Where is that shop?
    Heck I'll sell them the M1 carbine Custer used at the little Big Horn!!!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!