Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vanished!

I have spent half an hour building a spacer or something small between my mill and belt sanders only to drop it into the netherverse and have to start over again. Tis a true pain.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I do disassemlby over a large tuperware container, AND have a magnet in it. I spent a lot of time over the years crawling around on the floor looking for screws, springs, flies, anything small.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Turn off the light and hold a flashlight close to the floor. Even tiny objects will cast a long (and visible) shadow that way.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    Turn off the light and hold a flashlight close to the floor. Even tiny objects will cast a long (and visible) shadow that way.
    We have a winner! That is exactly what I do with remarkable success. Also, working over a bath towel when in a 'small, small world.'

Get yourself one of those pole magnets, works great. Mine was cheap from amazon years back and having a telescopic handle. Just drag it accross the floor and get all knds of stuff I've dropped over the years.

Magnets are my friend. That said, my shed (12'x20') is so full that parts can hide anywhere.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Being a mechanic, gunsmith, woodworker, plumber, electrician...... you get the idea, if I can do it instead of hiring someone, yeah, I'll do it! Well , doing all these things, I've gotten real good at losing things, and by necessity, finding things. Probably my best loss and subsequent find would with a 1917 Mauser 98 that I was doing the first strip after purchase on. As I was re assembling the firing pin/spring/cocking piece, my fingers slipped, sending the spring and cocking piece to points unknown! The spring was easily found, as I had caught sight of it two or three times during its escape, the cocking piece, however went to an unknown location...... for a couple of days! Needless to say, it's path occupied my thoughts during its times of freedom, as well as some good degree of searching, until it hit me....... I needed to search in 3 dimensions! Inside of the next 15 minutes, I discovered my cocking piece nestled behind one of the pictures on the wall! All to say, when a stray part decides to go on liberty, it's resting place will likely be unexpected, possibly humorous, and definitely educational!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    Brownells sells replacements. I bought the whole kit. What size is it.

Boolit Master
    Go get some more eyes. The wife after briefing has on more than one occasion walked up and goes "is that it" as my masculine manly man shudders slightly!

Boolit Master

It is not the things I drop that I have the most trouble finding. It is the things I put up for safe keeping that is driving me nuts. james

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Glock 19x pistol while reassembling firing pin, the spring and the two little plastic cups that hold it together. Next thing I hear is a "ping" and the spring is gone. After the launch, I hear the ricochet and landing in another room.

I said to myself, "Self, this ain't good!"

I looked, I crawled, I went back where I was sitting, looked over the trajectory of the spring, and did it all again,...and again...and etc.

The little wifey-woman comes home, I tell her the details,... a couple of minutes later she says, "I found it!", and she gives me the spring!!!

I really don't know how women can find things so easy!
    My mother was clairvoyant; she could find lost things. I would tell her I couldn't find a particular toy to which she would answer, "Look under your bed." It always worked.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I was working on a machine in the factory laneway,when a hydraulic valve flew apart ,and a piece landed on the roof of the shed across the laneway........it rolled down the tin roof ,into the gutter ,along the gutter ,into a down pipe,jumped the grate under the downpipe,and rolled out into the centre of the laneway......I just had to pick it up.......Another time a valve from an overhead crane went free ,and landed on the blast room floor,lattice grid,with a special collector array under the grid.......tons of steel grit everywhere .....I started the collector system,but never found the valve .......had to cannabilize a crane out in the yard.....and six months later the boss discovered Id "robbed Peter to pay Paul".....the worst crime imaginable in his feeble mind.

Boolit Master
    I found the missing screw. It was easy. All I had to do was order a 12 pack of 6-48 x 3/8" filister head torx screws at lunchtime today. Then when I went out to the garage tonight (barefoot) to get some firewood I stepped on it. It didn't even wait for the new ones to show up before it was plucked from the void. Typical.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    I found the missing screw. It was easy. All I had to do was order a 12 pack of 6-48 x 3/8" filister head torx screws at lunchtime today. .
    That's happened to me more than once.
    I'll search & search, finally give up and order a new part.
    After I hit the 'place order' button, I'll go back out in the shop---- and find the missing one.

The longest a part stayed missing was a .38/.357 shell plate for the Hornady.
    I got in the new one, put it on, used it, got done.....

Took the new one off, and went to stack it with the other caliber ones --- and it had come home.
    Oh well, I put one of them on S&S and made one of our buddies in Alaska happy.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    Just this weekend I was fixing the trigger switch on my Bosch hammer drill. Took it apart till I got inside the switch itself. Sprayed the switch down with contact cleaner. I got a little impatient on the drying time of the contact cleaner grabbed a can on air with 1 quick shot of air I saw that smallest of parts fly in to the great abyss of the shop. The part was a thin piece of brass 1/8" wide by 1/2" long. Never to be seen again. Luckily I had a dead Bosch drill that went down in a flood and was able to get that small part from it. The hammer drill works like a champ now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbers View Post
    I had a dead Bosch drill that went down in a flood and was able to get that small part from it.
    Having quick access to spare parts is either a direct violation of Man Law,,,, or cheating.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I use a combination of the "flashlight" method and this Hillman magnetic sweeper from Lowes

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Mag...r-Pick/3363970

If it's magnetic I find 95%, unfortunately I work with a lot of brass, nylon, plastics, etc.

-Ron
    Who is John Galt?

Boolit Master

The floor in my reloading room/man-cave is carnivorous.

It is like a big predator patiently waiting for a meal. If something falls or gets dropped on the floor, it eats it!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Its what I sit down that disappears. 6" machinists scales must be made of chameleon steel I can sit one done and it blends into surroundings impossible to find for ever

Boolit Master
    Possibly worst I ever did was dropped my car keys into the 3 ft thick layer of junk inside a shipping container,it was getting dark,the yard is in a very bad area ...anyway,cab home,spare keys,cab back ,pitch dark ....cost over $100 for cabs .........so I tied a long length of gold gift wrap tape to the key s.........dropped again a couple of days later,saw the tape in the long grass before I knew Id dropped the keys.