RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimp die for 308 Winchester

Boolit Bub

Crimp die for 308 Winchester

I'm in need of a crimp die for 308 Winchester. The Lyman "M" die flares the case mouth for the seating of a cast bullet just fine. Only a minimal amount of flaring is required but I need to close the case mouth back up in order for the round to easily chamber.

Perhaps some experienced member here has an idea for a workable substitution for the crimp die, but my old brain hasn't figured it out.

The Lee die is unavailable from most places during this crush, and I'd rather not pay $45 or so from E-bay.

I'll be posting a WTB in the classifieds soon. If anyone has one to sell at a reasonable price, I'd like to have it.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    See if Redding makes a profile crimp die
    for 308 W. It's what I use for the same
    problem for my 30-30.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Doesn't the seating die you are using have a crimp feature ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Your seating die should have a roll crimp feature in it.

Something to try if it doesn't, and you're waiting for another one-
    try pulling the stem out of the sizer, and run the round up in it for just a little 'bump' to roll out the flare.

I did that out of desperation years ago for something, and it worked.
    It worked as sort of a red neck taper crimp.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Redding does make a taper crimp die. I’ve got one. Works great!

Boolit Master

What die set are you using? Sounds like just a simple kiss adjustment to me. We all been there at some time in our handloading career.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Bub
    My die set is “put together”-Redding body die, Lee collet die, and Forster bench rest seater. I have not checked but I didn’t think the sewer had a crimping shoulder.

Reasonable and thoughtful suggestions all-just as expected. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Yep I think you are right a lot of the forster didn't crimp the bullet I guess most BR shooters don't cramp either? Most seating dies need to be adjusted down in the press half a turn or so you might try that remember to back off the seating stem before you try so it doesn't change the OAL of your cartridge. You might have a tapered crimp in that seater die.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 02-01-2021 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    lee fcd but you should be able to use your seating die to crimp .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    lee fcd but you should be able to use your seating die to crimp .
    Some seating dies don't crimp they are made that way.

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS and Hornady are the only rifle seating dies I'm aware of that can crimp. Lee dies do not, and I doubt any of the high end seating dies do either.

I just dug through my stuff to see of a possible solution. My first thought was to use a crimp die from a 32 h&r die set. The 308 body is too big to make that work. I then took the crimp sleeve out of the 32 h&r Lee carbide crimp die, and put it in a Lee universal flaring die. This worked. I would actually suggest you buy a Lee 32 ACP carbide crimp die, as a taper crimp would be a better way to go for purposes of closing the flare.

The proper Lee collet crimp die for 308 winchester is what you will want eventually. It is the bees knees.

Banned
    Another vote for the Lee crimp die . Bummer you can't find one in stock and at a reasonable price . I was hoping I had and extra I could give you , no luck .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    RCBS and Hornady are the only rifle seating dies I'm aware of that can crimp. Lee dies do not, and I doubt any of the high end seating dies do either.

I just dug through my stuff to see of a possible solution. My first thought was to use a crimp die from a 32 h&r die set. The 308 body is too big to make that work. I then took the crimp sleeve out of the 32 h&r Lee carbide crimp die, and put it in a Lee universal flaring die. This worked. I would actually suggest you buy a Lee 32 ACP carbide crimp die, as a taper crimp would be a better way to go for purposes of closing the flare.

The proper Lee collet crimp die for 308 winchester is what you will want eventually. It is the bees knees.
    My Redding and lyman,and a few old C&H dies all crimp if adjusted to.
    I think the OP started out looking for a 308 FCD to start with.yes best answer get a crimping die,but you can try the seating die to get by until he finds a FCD.
    Simper-Fi
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 02-01-2021 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post

Boolit Master
    Lee's collet neck die is the best neck die available. Used with a body die we can get the straightest possible cases.

Lee's collet crimpers are the best crimping dies available but it's adjustable and seems that its learning curve is too challenging for some folk to work with.

If you're having difficulty chambering flaired but uncrimped cases you're probably flairing the mouths more than necessary.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the best crimping dies I've found it the Lee collet crimp die (aka FCD for rifle cartridges). I rarely crimp any rifle cartridges but when I do I use the collet crimp, many times just to remove flare. I have 2 for rifles and one for 44 Magnum. Works quite well...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beefan View Post
    My die set is “put together”-Redding body die, Lee collet die, and Forster bench rest seater. I have not checked but I didn’t think the sewer had a crimping shoulder.

Reasonable and thoughtful suggestions all-just as expected. Thanks!
    Would your Redding die work? I understand it won't resize a neck, but, does it have enough to get rid of the flare?

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. Looks like I'll be borrowing a friend's RCBS seater until I can locate a Lee FCD. I did confirm that my Redding BR seater does not have a crimping shoulder. My "hybrid" die set has worked quite well with jacketed bullets. Cast bullets should make for some mild enjoyable loads in my 700.

Thanks again!

Boolit Master
    The seating die, adjusted properly, will eliminate any flair with out crimping. Case lengths should be pretty close to the same for this to work.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    The seating die, adjusted properly, will eliminate any flair with out crimping. Case lengths should be pretty close to the same for this to work.
    The only Redding die set I used did not crimp at all. It seems a few specialty dies have this feature, but the bulk of them do not.