Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scratched mold

Boolit Bub

Scratched mold

I’m just getting into casting and my Lee .223 mold just got delivered today. I bought it off an individual on EBay used. When I got it, I noticed one of the molds was scratched up on one side. I didn’t think it would hurt anything and started casting.

The above picture is the results. The bullet on the left is from the unscratched mold and the one on the right is from the scratched mold. My question is, is there anyway to remedy the mold so it casts a better quality bullet? Also, will I be able to load these bullets or should they be melted back down?

PS the photos on the eBay listing did not have these scratches showing and it was bought in “used”

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Someone more versed in this will chime in shortly I'm certain. However it looks to me that the boolit on the right was cast from a cavity that was way to cold.
    I would remelt it if it was me.
    Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Can you get some pictures of the scratched mold?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
    Can you get some pictures of the scratched mold?

Boolit Bub
    Plan on powder coating, would that fill the divots enough to make the bullet useable ?

Super Moderator

Yikes, that mold has some issues. I'd get back in contact with the seller. If that is the Lee C309-150F, Midway has a few of them left as I'm typing this.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101021394?pid=720790

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Yikes, that mold has some issues. I'd get back in contact with the seller. If that is the Lee C309-150F, Midway has a few of them left as I'm typing this.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101021394?pid=720790
    It’s a 225-55

Moderator Emeritus
    Get the mold hot, using a torch and use a pencil eraser or something to clean all the splatter off the mold. It looks like a mess.

Boolit Master
    No offense, but that thing is beat all to he// and back. It looks like an example of all the bad stuff that can be wrong with a mold. A big glob of something between the cavities, top of the mold damaged, parting lines gouged, deep scratches in the cavities, assorted deep scratches on the faces, and who knows what the sprue plate looks like.

I'd definitely contact the seller. If you're just beginning to cast then you don't need to have to fight with a bad mold along with the learning curve of all of the other stuff.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude, but you're not going to be happy with that mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Can’t tell if those are scratches or raised areas from lead deposits. Looks like some of each.

Boolit Grand Master

Pick up some bamboo skewers at the store. Use 1 pointed end and drag against the scratches, this is to see if the raised material is still there. If it is round the end of a 3/16 hard wood dowel and slowly start rubbing with medium pressure along the outside edges of the scratches working slowly and carefully. Keep working in towards the scratch. Bet you can roll the metal back in to where it came from if its still there. Ive done this in die cast dies moulds that were dinged and bullet moulds that had dings and scratches. On steel moulds I use a small rounded punch and 4 oz ball peen, but aluminum will move much easier than the steel.

You dint want to remove any metal just slowly and gently move the metal back into place

The mould is ruined in my opinion. It's possible, someone might clean it up. It appears to be scratched badly across the lube groove area. It's possible it would shoot okay with bullets from the better cavity. I agree with sending it back.

Boolit Bub
    I’m going to contact the seller and try to return it but I may be stuck with it. I can probably use it as a single cavity mold.

Sucks but I guess I learned my lesson not to buy something if there aren’t detailed photos.

Thanks for the help

Maybe, someone here could work their magic on it for you, if you're stuck with it. I will be first to offer to clean it up best I can. That said, I spect others could do better.

Boolit Grand Master

My god, that is the worst bullet mold I have ever seen. Somebody used it to death, got a bunch of globs of stuff, likely lead on it, then tried to clean it with a wire wheel. Return it if you can.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    My god, that is the worst bullet mold I have ever seen. Somebody used it to death, got a bunch of globs of stuff, likely lead on it, then tried to clean it with a wire wheel. Return it if you can.
    Yeah you can tell they used a dremel or something. Hard to tell in the picture because of lighting but that one cavity is shiny like they used a wire wheel

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Maybe, someone here could work their magic on it for you, if you're stuck with it. I will be first to offer to clean it up best I can. That said, I spect others could do better.
    I might take you up on that. Going to try and find another mold for 223 or maybe if I can find another caliber so I have something to keep me busy. I’ll use this one as a single cavity until I can get it shipped to someone to mess around with.

Boolit Master
    Even the top of the blocks are beat up . Send it back if you can .

Man I hope they didn’t gouge you with covid/panic prices. That’s down and dirty
    Last edited by Rug480; 01-07-2021 at 08:04 PM.
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug480 View Post
    Man I hope they didn’t gouge you with covid/panic prices.
    It was $52 shipped. Idk what a good price is as I’m just getting into the hobby.