Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forced to go back to the old ways.

(Nobody wants anyone to shoot a lubed boolit)

Hey, I'm right here...… quit talking about me like that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    You guys are brutal. Because of that you have forced me to do something I have not done in a long time. This is not a bad thing and wife approved. So much like digging out the older ways to lube some projectiles I came up with this. Due to the NYS safe act I had to sell my 50AE. With the eagle gone I no longer have a need for the brass I found while cleaning the reloading room. I’ll get it listed up in the morning and should cover more than enough for some powder.

Smoke thank you for offering. I will get ahold of you soon to buy some.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Yep, have been doing a lot of things a little different.

Most of my time was usually made up of going shooting or fishing, the spending time at home making bullets, reloading and tying flies. Since I can't shoot or fish my stash of cartridges is built up and have too many flies to count so have had to find other things to do.

The biggest change for me was being forced to buy stuff on line instead of in the store. I have resisted that change over the years for a couple of reasons, mainly trying to help keep the 'brick and mortar' stores in business (I also like seeing and handling things in person before buying).

We are lucky that our financial situation is stable and our thoughts and prayers go out to those of you who are suffering financial hardship during this. Hopefully we can all pull together and help one another. It is always great in here to see the kind of generosity that will get us through.

And if any of you are medical front line people, we are all pulling for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Outer Rondacker if you will PM me your address I will send you some powder FREE
    when this virus stuff hit I was extremely worried we would get shutdown too. Posted here and the fellows here have placed orders everyday and have kept me busy
    So now its my turn to pass along.. pay it forward . You owe me nothing when you get back on your feet you can pay it forward to someone else
    Bravo! Great offer Sir.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    No money coming in my business close, no check coming in from Uncle Sam. Finances at a all time low the wife and I have vowed to only pay the bills. Of course I would have to run out of PC last week. So I broke out the old lee lube Alox. I am sure it will do the job but man oh man I do not miss the nasty mess. I loaded up 100 bullets for the mailman in 380acp. I know that is what he shoots and I just wanted to say thanks. My mailbox is still getting mail in this weird time.

Soon I will be out of Alox and it will be back to the Lyman 450.

Has anyone else had to change things up a bit for the foreseeable future???

Just wanted to let ya know your not alone if you have.

Outer...
    we all may be forced to when the electricity goes out.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good lesson for all of us.

I decided many years ago...I will never run out of essentials. In the big picture...lubing bullets a preferred way is more of an inconvenience.

OR, I hope things will work OK for your family. I fear your Governor is focused too much on NYC and will maintain the "lockdown" longer than needed for the rest of the state. Lots of jobs and business will be lost. Some for years to come.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    we all may be forced to when the electricity goes out.
    Don't worry, Randall Flagg will keep the electricity flowing. I hear they're already winding transformer coils out near Hoover Dam.

Just don't get caught with illicit drugs.

Boolit Master
    Power is the only utility I CAN have. On the plus side I do get 26 channels on my antenna. Hum my delivery charge is up 50 or more dollars the last two months. My usage is down by60%.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Outer Rondacker if you will PM me your address I will send you some powder FREE
    when this virus stuff hit I was extremely worried we would get shutdown too. Posted here and the fellows here have placed orders everyday and have kept me busy
    So now its my turn to pass along.. pay it forward . You owe me nothing when you get back on your feet you can pay it forward to someone else
    Now there's a stand up guy. My next PC order will be with you for sure Smoke.

I was just talking to an old buddy yesterday and he was melting down some Bees wax and about to do some pan lubing, because he ran out of alox. Splashed some hot bees wax on his hand and told me he remembers why he started using alox in the first place lol.

Boolit Bub
    I too went to Harbor Freight Monday and found they were out of red PC. They only had black and white so I bought some white and a box of 5mil XL inspection gloves. They only had 3 boxes of gloves left. I don't have a toaster oven yet, i'll buy it when my stimulus check comes.[Walmart] So I warmed up some boolits with a heat gun , shook them in a #5 plastic bowl and reheated them with the heat gun. The white seemed to coat nice and melted properly in my primitive test. I can't wait to get my oven to go into real "production"!

Boolit Bub
    I have a couple tubes of alox left but i'm excited to get going powdercoating. The Alox lube seems to get everywhere. I wipe the bullet bases and noses on a Zippo fuel soaked rag but it is time consuming. If I don't the bullet die seating punch gums up and powder clings to the bullet base contaminating the powder charge. The cleanup takes time and powdercoating would eliminate that step. Elvis Ammo on You Tube has some interesting videos.

Boolit Master

Hey I have some quarts of lars alox I would donate one or two , I have not had to go back to any primitive ways , as I still prefer as much hand operated machines as power driven , do like my creature comforts , cold wine and cider , ice , electricity and internet , I keep the alox and lube sizer for the proverbial rainy day , also I find casting and coating large amounts ahead of time to be a good idea prepared and stocked up as time and money permit , I too could send powder as bought some and so far I have not got the son or my son in law to cast or coat , here is wishing things to get better soon , and I like how so many have offered even though with your independent spirit you were only asking how many have went to older ways of doing things , continue on and hope to see more posts

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pan957 View Post
    I too went to Harbor Freight Monday and found they were out of red PC. They only had black and white so I bought some white and a box of 5mil XL inspection gloves. They only had 3 boxes of gloves left. I don't have a toaster oven yet, i'll buy it when my stimulus check comes.[Walmart] So I warmed up some boolits with a heat gun , shook them in a #5 plastic bowl and reheated them with the heat gun. The white seemed to coat nice and melted properly in my primitive test. I can't wait to get my oven to go into real "production"!
    If you have a good will, or Salvation Army check them out. I got my best PC toaster oven at a Goodwill. 2 dollars. Sadly it did not survive the move. Now I have a brand new 5 dollar Black Friday leftover. What a heaping pile of crap. The tray is 8x10 and has a 150* swing from one side to the other. So when you get one make sure it’s a decent size. The one I got came in a 18”x18”x28” box. It’s 14” long by 12”x12”.

Boolit Master
    Outer Rondacker, I want to say, GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR WIFE! It is a pleasure to see a couple working together to meet their shared goals. In this case it is making sure the bills are paid. That speaks volumes about your priorities and relationship. How many of us would be so fortunate to have a spouse we can actually work with shoulder to shoulder for the benefit of the family.
    All the Best,

Christopher

Boolit Master
    Thank you Christopher.