Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #1 calibers for 2015

Ruger #1 calibers for 2015

Has anybody heard what the offerings will be?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still trying to find cash for the 9.3x62mm 2014 offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
    I'm still trying to find cash for the 9.3x62mm 2014 offering.
    Yep, that is a tempting one. All of the 2014 offerings are still available from the wholesaler I deal with. I am wanting one of the Lipsey's K1A's in 250 Savage.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are rumors that there may not be enough market to keep the Ruger # 1 in production much longer ? ?

The younger generation isn't buying any of them........they like " Black Rifles."
    Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    That would be a shame Ben. It's visually and mechanically one of the most appealing American rifles on the market. If it goes, the collecting crowd will shortly price these out of a lot of hands.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Urny View Post
    That would be a shame Ben. It's visually and mechanically one of the most appealing American rifles on the market. If it goes, the collecting crowd will shortly price these out of a lot of hands.
    They are priced out of a lot of hands already. I look at the ones in Cabelas Gun Library everytime I'm there. $1300-$1500 is a good bit of money. I'm sure you can pick them up cheaper. But when you can buy a Ruger American for $350 it's more appealing to a lot of shooters. I like the #1s but their price point is a little higher than I want to spend. Especially when Savage 99s can still be had at somewhat reasonable levels

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    Yep, that is a tempting one. All of the 2014 offerings are still available from the wholesaler I deal with. I am wanting one of the Lipsey's K1A's in 250 Savage.
    I got one of Lipsey's 77 Hawkeyes in matte stainless, 250 Savage, 97 or so made. Nice indeed. A K1A would be nice.

Boolit Grand Master
    There have been many rifles in past yrs. that became so costly to make that the Amer. public quit buying them.

This may in time happen to the Ruger # 1.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    I got one of Lipsey's 77 Hawkeyes in matte stainless, 250 Savage, 97 or so made. Nice indeed. A K1A would be nice.
    I've been looking at one of those too. I didn't know they existed until I stumbled upon one online.

Boolit Master

The Ruger #1 does not seem overly complex to me, meaning production cost should be fairly low. After all, there was a Ruger #3 for a while. Same action. Things that drive up the cost of the #1 are wood, front sight assembly, finish, and the rear quarter rib. Barrel and action are simple and no more difficult to manufacture than any other action type. Ruger charges a bunch for the #1 because they can. Demand is low, so production is low, so price is high. That simple. Everyone wants a $300 bolt gun or a $225 single shot these days. And in reality, those guns do the job. I suppose you are right from that perspective. I mean, if $225 and $300 guns flood the market, why make the #1, or the 77, or the Winchester 70, or the Remington 700. Heck, there are quality rifles out there now that make the old Savage 110's seem expensive.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    There are rumors that there may not be enough market to keep the Ruger # 1 in production much longer ? ?

The younger generation isn't buying any of them........they like " Black Rifles."
    The beautiful thing about rumors is their capacity to stir people up without being encumbered by even a shred of truth.

Boolit Master

I own 5 "black rifles" and no desire to spend that much for a single-shot, no matter the bluing and wood.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I own 5 "black rifles" and no desire to spend that much for a single-shot, no matter the bluing and wood.
    I have the desire. Just spending that much money for a single shot, when I can buy an old lever action for cheaper, is hard to justify. I've heard of to many issues w/ getting them to shoot well. But the same could be said for my M77 Hawkeye which shoots great.

Banned
    The single shot, falling block action exudes class.
    Bolt actions, lever actions, semi-autos and others all have their place but the Ruger #1 is a timeless classic. They cost more than they should and sometimes the two piece stock can give you headaches in the accuracy department but there is just something elegant about that simple action.

Boolit Master
    When I bought my Ruger #1 in 45-70 it cost about $600. So you can be sure it was sometime ago. Now they are twice that. I don't see the younger shooters shooting #1's or #3's. Seems to be an older shooter thing. And yes I'm an older shooter (68) and love the real wood and blued steel. Frank
    Last edited by Frank46; 12-09-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Single shots do not impose ammo compromises associated with magazine rifles and especially gas operated rifles. SS's eliminate conflicts with throat-based bullet length and seating depth vs mag length. SS's eliminate crimping COL issues driven by mag set-back. To commit to a mag rifle and especially a gas gun, is to accept a series of handloading limitations in exchange for cranking off more rounds.

Boolit Master
    I just bought a Lipsey's Ruger No1A in 30-30 Winchester that has the Circassion walnut with the Boddington checkering pattern, and I mounted a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X 42mm scope on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Think Ben is probably right. New young shooters today have little appreciation for the quality of weapons like #1's. Glad I have a few, and wish I could afford more.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

IMHO, the combination of apathy towards the #1 and the wallet compromise involved in purchasing a new example will most likely move it into a Special Order item, if not extinction. (Witness the gradually-reduce chamberings over tha past 1o-20 years)

Remember, Bill Ruger has gone HOME, and there are no longer any members of the Ruger family in a position to dictate policy anymore - just the bean counters.

They would rather make/sell many thousands of budget guns (great profit margin) than make fewer dollars on a few thousand (maybe) high-end guns.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    Single shots do not impose ammo compromises associated with magazine rifles and especially gas operated rifles. SS's eliminate conflicts with throat-based bullet length and seating depth vs mag length. SS's eliminate crimping COL issues driven by mag set-back. To commit to a mag rifle and especially a gas gun, is to accept a series of handloading limitations in exchange for cranking off more rounds.
    Excellent synopsis. All of the deer and targets I've shot could have been handled with a #1. I do like choice though.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"