WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Derringer in 10mm Auto

American Derringer in 10mm Auto

I finally got this beast reviewed and with video proving we shot this thing.
    I appreciate your feedback as always.

http://rangehot.com/american-derring...g-last-resort/
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Neat little derringer. I've got the bond arms 45/410 derringer and love it. Looked like yours was a handfull in 10mm.

Boolit Master

Nice, I got one of the M7 UltraLightweight ADC Derringers in .380 auto back in the mid 90s, weight is 7 ozs. Never had any issues with it. Only problem was that I give it to my sister around 98'.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Looked like yours was a handfull in 10mm.
    Yes sir it was.
    I appreciate the feedback my friends. What are you all's thoughts on a derringer as a defensive handgun, when concealability is paramount.

Boolit Master

IIRC, Jeff Cooper related an incident where the unexpected blast alone of a .357 Magnum derringer was surprising enough to allow the shooter (not Cooper, to be clear) to make his escape from his assailants. Make of that what you will.

Boolit Master

I like the 10mm round a lot, but having said that, my manberries aren't big enough to want to shoot that derringer. I'll stick to my 9.5oz P32 in my pocket.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    IIRC, Jeff Cooper related an incident where the unexpected blast alone of a .357 Magnum derringer was surprising enough to allow the shooter (not Cooper, to be clear) to make his escape from his assailants. Make of that what you will.
    That makes sense. I can see the logic behind that as the muzzle blast was pretty impressive. Thoughts on the 10mm Derringer over say a Ruger LCP?

Boolit Man

Despite my affection for all things 10mm, I use an LCP when the situation demands very discreet carry. It's light, fast, accurate within 10 yards, and 7 rounds of OK provides more options than 2 rounds of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by g.man10mm View Post
    Despite my affection for all things 10mm, I use an LCP when the situation demands very discreet carry. It's light, fast, accurate within 10 yards, and 7 rounds of OK provides more options than 2 rounds of awesome.
    I tend to agree with you but I am looking for justification to buy the test sample. Any other ideas?

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I tend to agree with you but I am looking for justification to buy the test sample. Any other ideas?
    When all else fails, "because it's a 10mm" has worked for me more times than I'd care to admit. Beats "bear defense at a dinner party" I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by g.man10mm View Post
    When all else fails, "because it's a 10mm" has worked for me more times than I'd care to admit. Beats "bear defense at a dinner party" I guess.
    I am a 10mm Auto junky myself and have been trying to justify buying the test gun even though it is not really practical. I think the 10mm excuse is good enough.

Boolit Master
    I would love a Derringer, I just love the looks. The fact it really isn't a good choice as a SD gun has kept me from getting one. I'm sure I will, but I doubt I'll ever carry it. Almost any other platform works better. A single action with almost no grip, poor sights, and only 2 shots is hard to rationalize. I'm not a huge 9mm fan, but I have always thought it was especially well suited to a Derringer, and might be my caliber of choice.

Boolit Master
    I have the American Deringer in .45LC/.410. I agree, they are quite a handful. One note though- always have the hammer at half cock when loading and closing. I've read that if you slap it closed fast, there's a chance of a round going off, due to the firing pin sticking out. Some ammo companys are doing a buckshot load for it.
    They are an awsome piece with only one real use, but I imagine they serve that purpose well.

Boolit Master
    If above all, it must be small, then there's your answer...
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    It's small only in the pocket or hand. It makes a big hole. Anywhere close and the muzzle flash and powder burns can be intimidating, to say the least.
    With guns, motorcycles and hot rods, there is no substitute for cubic inches.

Hunter it's a 10mm...go for it, that's all the excuse you need to get the test gun! Plus the derringers are too much fun and once you get the hang of shooting them, i have found they're more accurate than most folks think.
    I finally found a boolit that doesn't tumble or yaw from my Bond Arms 45/410 derringer and have total confidence in it.
    I bought it for an all around survival type arm for the woods and four legged critters but now have confidence for any situation with it. I can't wait to get a set of fully rifled bbls. in 45 colt for it.

Boolit Master

Guess you could also shoot .40 S&W for a reduce load/availiblity.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Bub
    I must get one!!

Boolit Master
    My American Derringer is an Alaskan Survival model slab side four inch . .45Colt / .410 lower and .45-70 Government upper and the grips cannot be made large enough to handle that kind of power . Beeeelieve me 300 gr Winchester loads kill on one end and maim on the other .. Always use the hammer block safety .....

Boolit Master

I am getting a same in 38 SP, gona give it to my wife, the Derringer is a "get off me pistol" it is what it is.
    I carry a 25ACP in my pocket now as a "get off me pistol".
    10mm is another I just might pick up for me.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776