Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So explain this little bit of illogic on deer Shooing

It's funny hearing about Young hunters with huge Cal, Rifles. This isn't a new thing and if some of the old hunters would tell the truth they would say it was them 30 years ago. hahahaha, I myself have lived long enough to see my favourite Rifle go from a 7 mag to the 7mm-08. Seems like the older you get the better those smaller cal. feel and work for a man...lol....

I'm also happy to see so many here say smaller cal's are ok for hunting. The fact is. No one is born a great hunter. You have to learn to be a great Hunter and that takes time. but Still, It's fun to go to the Gun show just before season starts up and see all the new young bucks spending all that money on those big 300 ultramags and bigger. I still try to talk some of them out of it and in to a smaller more affordable hunting rig. after all, your hunting not a super Sniper going off to war..lol... But they already have there mines made up just like I did way back when I knew everything..
    Last edited by Weaponologist; 08-27-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    quilbilly
    Years ago I was picking up a 45 caliber barrel from Don Eades' shop and lamented that I wished the 45 caliber round ball could be used for deer hunting, but planned to use it mostly for target shooting.

His short but succinct answer stuck with me . . . Don said, "Well, I have been using a 45 caliber round ball for 18 years, and dead is dead."
    Interesting discussion and this is a truth. All I used in Ohio and PA years ago was a .45 RB from my flinter. Never lost a deer to 100 yards with it. I was also told the .45 RB was too small, can't prove it by me. It is the pure lead ball. Something very hard to shoot with smokeless. Even killed a bunch with a C&B revolver, kills like a .44 mag.
    I used .50's and have a .54 Hawken I built. Hardly any gun will drop deer DRT like it will. It will put all modern magnums to shame.

Boolit Master

I am betting he would have changed "shooing" to "SHOOTING" long ago if one could edit the titles on this site like they can on some other sites. I keep hoping one of the moderators wil take pity on me and my typo and add the "t". It has taken a while to become the topic of discussion though.

OK Ric, I Give UP where is the "Right Gizmo"??

Back when I was a range officer and spent a lot of time at the range, it saddened me to hear comments by folks that came to shoot their HUFFNPUFFLOUDENBOOMERS. Many talked about the 100, 200 and 300 yard range berms when they were actually 25, 50 and 100 yards.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 09-02-2014 at 10:49 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Original poster should be able to edit himself. Just gotta click on the right gizmo.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

I don't hunt with rifles unless a ML but had the best kills with the 6.5 Swede. Beats the 30-06 in many ways but I used jacketed. 280 was way too destructive on meat, sold it. I have no use for even an 06. Hunt, get deer close first. Can you beat a .270 with a .300 ultra mag???
    Big guns are for 600 to 1,000 yards while most animals are shot at 50 or under. The big ones can fail at close ranges.
    I will not give up my revolvers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Going after a deer with a handgun that starts with a 3 is illogical. Start with a 4 at least!
    Shot too many corn field deer to say BS on that. I do respect DG's opinion and the fact that I might need his work on one of my BHs soon.
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I say go for it. but what do I know:-/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Shot too many corn field deer to say BS on that. I do respect DG's opinion and the fact that I might need his work on one of my BHs soon.
    Jerry
    Me too! The very worst thing to tell a guy is deer are easy to kill-----WRONG! You can kill a deer between the eyes with a .22 at night with a light but don't ever tell me you can kill one any other way with a .22. I found too stinking many bullets healed in from toy guns and also arrows from toy bows. Attachment 115152.22 bullet fully expanded in a deer neck. Showed green starting. Bullet just made it through the hide. Heroes with toys will tell you anything but deer are HARD to kill fast.
    My problem is those that use inadequate calibers or those much too large.
    I shot a deer once through the lungs with a 7mm-08. Found lung tissue on a tree. Not much blood but trailed for miles until trails with thousands of tracks wiped out my tracking. OH YEAH, they are easy to kill! Poke a needle through.
    The "experts" have one or two deer by luck. When you get to how many I have killed and how many I have lost, YES, LOST, not proud of any. I feel great pain from a loss. Deer might die or survive. No way to know.
    All you need is a .25 ACP or .38 S&W. All you need is a .45 hole over a .44 hole, amazing how a few thousandths is enough. Fools!
    .357 is a toy that needs exactly right or will fail. I forget of course, Deer are EASY.
    Damned toughest animal to give up life there is. I wish the "experts" would stop the bull after one kill by luck.
    I will never understand the lack of respect for an animal by some. Pop a deer when squirrel hunting in PA. Lowest of the low.
    The way you post shows much about you.

Boolit Master
    No camping,hunting or even information about IDNR is available.

Due to closing all of their sources of income they can no longer afford even pamphlets in the appropriate boxes let alone a real live IDNR person.

Yes I DID check there and even the outhouses have not been cleaned in at least a year or so.[/QUOTE]
    Bad Water Bill said this. I would like to add that the last time I was on a State Lake to fish I was Hassled/hassled/hassled to death. I had everything legal but they just keep asking and re-asking. Finally a friend who was an off duty cop whipped out his badge and asked the 2 wardens if they every came to 'his' town. The answer was yes. He then said it would be $50 the next time he seen either one of them. ( That shows you how far back it was) He could find something wrong just like they were doing. " Have a great day, Sir." was the reply. We finished fishing that day and I never fished on a lake again. Sold the boat, quit buying stickers and licenses. The whole nine yards. I even quit hunting a year or two after that. They don't need to cry to me about lost revenues.

Sorry for the thread drift....I've heard a lot of poachers use 22 or 22 mag and the deer fall over. I do know that an 89 Blazer is 1/2 effective. One ran off- one didn't.
    Last edited by castalott; 09-01-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: lost in my rant- sorry

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Well at least the villain here will still have about 14 years to consider the errors of his ways.

Shortly after taking office Bloggo stripped many dollars from the IDNR fund,IIRC transferred many of the conservation police to the Illinois State police and then made the 3 MILLION dollars sent by the feds for a range on state land at the Des Plaines Wildlife Area vanish.

I hope he spends his full sentence in the lockup WITHOUT parole.

No overnight visits either.

Perhaps his daughters will be married and moved a long way from Illinois before he sees this side of the fence the next time.\

He truly has earned it.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like a winner to me... I don't know what people think is acceptable these days though...

Boolit Bub
    sounds like a good load for scaring deer, I'm not sure what people think these days

LBT had what he called his "displacement velocity formula". It would be interesting to see how close it comes to the real life results.

Banned

I have killed many tons of deer with revolvers and the hardest thing to ever explain is just a big meplat or large diameter boolit is not the answer. It comes down to the alloy of the boolit. A harder boolit that shoots best can be wrong if shot too fast. I have found a hard boolit works at around 1300 fps best, faster and make the nose softer. Get some upset to slow the boolit in passage without losing penetration, heavy revolver boolits best so penetration does not suffer.
    Then I found too heavy is also not the answer because my .500 JRH with a 440 gr is the slowest killer with hard lead, needs some expansion or an animal much larger then deer.
    That WFN boolit at 1350 fps does not know it went through a deer.
    I once shot a big doe with it, know I hit and never found a drop of blood. searched hours, gave up and sat back down. Seen a buck at 120 yards, took him behind the shoulder off hand. He ran to me 100 yards and turned another 20 into the brush before going down. I back track every deer and did not find a drop of blood anywhere. I gutted him and it got dark. I was shining the light around, seen white, found the first deer I shot. She was over 100 yards from where I shot her.
    Don't ever tell me just a big meplat is all you need.
    I need to make a soft nose out of the .500 boolit so I did not use it last season, used the .44 and .475, got 7 deer. The biggest bull you will ever read is all you need is a hole.
    When you open a deer and find the cavity full of blood and a good trail, you are good to go, Open and find pink lungs with a clean hole, better get to work. Use care because a revolver can blow meat to smithereens. There are NO hollow points in my future. I hate a deer bloodshot from head to tail.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensai View Post
    I was going to say something about that, and then I looked a little closer. He's talking about "shooing" deer, like chasing them away, like shooing flies.
    I was thinking about shoeing, hard to get them to stand still long enough to tack them on.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    Dear Bill:
    I am still enjoying the kick from 12 Gauges here in Southern Illinois. I have got around $ 2000.00 in a Beretta Extrema and I want all of you guys to know I sure appreciate that company's complete lack of answering the telephone over a 2 year or so effort. But the IDNR is now saying we are running low on deer after the VERY light turn out from hunters in second season last winter. Oh Well, what do I know about locally owned property.. Or numbers of deer standing in the fields ever evening..!
    I know! I couldn't believe it when I read that. Just because vehicle/deer accidents or down means we have less deer? Not up here by Rend Lake! But the IDNR doesn't have the manpower to do a population sample on any species, according to officers in distract 5. So its these stats they rely on.
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned

Wish you would forget a typing mistake. I type with one finger.
    Glad I don't live there, stupid state with too many Democrats. We have a problem at Harpers Ferry, Fed property you can't hunt. More deer hit by cars on Bakerton road because the park is full of deer. Corn on one side, park on the other. Then homeowners associations where you can see 50 deer walking the roads in the winter, eating everything around houses. Can't shoot or hunt. I moved into mine and set up my range, shoot and hunt all my neighbors too. Always hear gunfire. Not allowed in the papers we had to sign, go to hell. Too many Democrats here but we turned them around. I hunt their property too. Not on the other road though. Go there to see herds of deer but it is OK because the deer come here, breeding ground.
    Politics is all it is. Once a Democrat gets hurt, they want help.

Boolit Master

I am surprissed Bad Water Bill.

I would think you would wish at least a weekly overnight visit upon bloggo.

After look where he is!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Never happen.

Now I might just send Girty over there to leave a PERMANENT impression and deposit some "apples" on his head and bunk.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Bad water bills recollection of the 22 hi power brings back memories of my own,bought it on my way home from junior high at a local gun shop ,99 with seventy empties a tong tool and mould, cookie cutter sizer and a slight into to casting . I learned to cast load and managed to kill a fair amount of game with that rifle .I sold it (never got over that mistake) when I went off to visit the rice paddies .