Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So explain this little bit of illogic on deer Shooing

Boolit Master
    Pardon me for chiming in but let me throw my 2 cents into the pot.

In the state of Texas you can ask ANY game warden who knows his trade and he will tell you that even though it is ILLEGAL more deer have been taken in the history of the state with a 22 long rifle than ANY other cartridge. I am not suggesting you do that please keep reading. In my family on of my great grandfather hunted ONLY with a 32-20 with factory lead loads, I never knew him not to drop a deer with a single shot at any given range he felt comfortable shooting at. This is also a round that many do not suggest you use. I have seen the opinions the OP spoke of on OTHER boards. Haven't seen them on this board. What it boils down to is shot placement on the critter. IF you can make a clean kill with a given caliber, AND you are comfortable doing so at X range then by ALL means proceed. The REASON so many people suggest heavier faster heavier faster heavier faster is because many people (not necessarily the ones suggesting it) can't shoot WORTH BEANS! I have seen a cousin of mine bang away at a deer with every round from a 30-30 at 50 yards and he didn't even graze the critter. I have seen my grandfather (one of 5 sons and 2 daughters of the great grandfather mentioned above) drop a deer with a single shot from an iron sighted 222 remington at more than 200 yards. It is a shot I would NEVER try to make as I know I can't do it, but this man was a Korean War Marine vet (E25) who survived the Chosin Reservoir trap and if he could see it it was dead meat in the freezer and on the grill every time with a single shot. He took 60+ deer with 60+ matching clean shots in my lifetime alone, and NO round was EVER fired from his gun unless it was fired to take a critter. He just didn't miss. Ever. Sadly he was taken by heart failure eight years back, but he lived a good long life, even if it was a hard one.

My point is that when it is all said and done the shot you are comfortable that you can make a clean and effective kill with is the shot you should take, and NO other shot should be taken. When recommendations are made by folks to the contrary it is usually because the shot isn't one the general public should ever try because they just wind up with wounded animals, dead cows, and Lord knows what other property damage. The flip side to that coin is the innumerable self appointed experts who read what innumerable self appointed experts wrote at some point and regurgitated the malarkey word for word. When it comes down to it there are three major factors IMHO for a shot (keep in mind I am a admitted rank amateur). #1 above and beyond all else is can YOU the shooter make the shot? #2 Can the firearm in question be counted on to make the shot (you should know if your gun shoots a five foot group at 100 yards from a bench rest that you shouldn't take a 100 yard shot on ANYTHING) and #3 is can the round/caliber do the job with the shot you are about to make? #3 is the MOST debated rule of the shot, and where some folks come up with the idea that only X or Y will work and W or Z can't possibly work. Much of which is old wives tales, whole cloth, and hogwash mixed with a smidgen of fact to make it palatable.

I have taken deer with 45 long colt cowboy loads at ranges that nobody would believe if I posted it and seen the round do a full penetration on the critter. I have seen people who couldn't take a deer at 50 yards with a scoped 30-06/7mm Mag/etc to save their life. Sometimes I look at the upwind critter and decide that maybe today I can't make that shot. I'm not feeling solid at that range so I either get closer or don't shoot.

In the end you have to make the choice, and only YOU the shooter can decide because only YOU the shooter have to live with what happens when that trigger breaks over and that powder goes off.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Well said.

Boolit Master
    That's a $25 post

Boolit Master

Recently I have been seeing remarks about 155-170 grain bullets in a 300 BLK are useless, that I have to either use a lighter 125-136 grain bullet going fast or I have to go real heavy, over 220 grains. Glad to see some real world users refuting this.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Recently I have been seeing remarks about 155-170 grain bullets in a 300 BLK are useless, that I have to either use a lighter 125-136 grain bullet going fast or I have to go real heavy, over 220 grains. Glad to see some real world users refuting this.
    I for one can post pics of a Deer I killed last year with a 10" 300 Blkout and Mil hec 159 HP going a whole 1587 FPS . You will not believe the damage .. Deer was 67 yds away and went a whole approx 35 yds
    I just love the look on the processers face when he rounded the corner and saw it with the hide off

Attachment 109647
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

ballistic programs are fun to play with

it lets you see what a bullet is doing downrange

compare some of the GREAT deer rounds with some of the inadequate deer rounds....

a great deer round will kill at 450 yds they say, but the inadequate one, with the exact same energy at 200 yds is said to be lacking beyond 150....

go figure!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    ... I killed last year with a 10" 300 Blkout and Mil hec 159 going a whole 1587 FPS . You will not believe the damage ....
    there was some discussion a couple three years ago on here about 'Dwell Time' inside the animal causing far more trauma than one would expect.

I think that theory may also come into play with rounds like the 44spl and such.... slow lead but deadly.

Who was it said, "Slow heavy chunk of lead, an awesome killer of man and beast"?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Banned

It's all shot placement

Shot my first 3 deer using 30-06, then kinda got out of big game for 20+years.
    The last 10 years got a deer each year with either a 22-250 - 55gr Nosler BT most with .223 60gr Nosler BT. 2 head shots the rest neck. All dropped in their tracks.
    The last 10 years all shots have been prone with bipod and rear bag.
    Longest deer 265yds, elk 560yds -w-338 Lapua and this year 900-1200yds if all goes well.
    It's all shot placement.....easy peasy

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    ....its all an educated guess until the trigger is pulled.
    And there it is.

Boolit Master
    Smoke
    Thats a big deer! Yep I'd be one of those that say the 300 Blk will drop deer just fine with a 150 gr SPBT at ranges better then 150 yard or more. And I wouldn't have and problem using a Lee 150gr/170gr GC'd bullet at 150 yards either. As I can and do push both at better then 1600 FPS .

Vendor Sponsor

I was quite happy with it .. Got 2 last year with lead projectiles .. 1 with a 458 socom and one with the 300 Blkout

This year I hope to get one with the Contender Pistols and lead bullets.. I'm thinking 357 herrett and maybe 7TCU or 30 Herrett
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Mold
    Well, either deers ARE mythical animals or they've grown themselves Kevlar hides over the past 15 years as since the late 90's-early 2000 I'm seeing more and more -generally young- hunters using 7mm Rem Magnum, 300 Win Magnum (including 338 Lapua for God's sake!) and such to get these forest rats with 100 yards shots being long ones in dense woods. Typically the same guys are often dressed like they're just out of or going to a SWAT raid and always have that "poor you with your old underpowered gun" look when I come across them.

Boolit Master

I would think shoeing a deer would be difficult.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    A Savage 99 in 22 H P fed a cousin for more years than he could remember.

Yes he cast and loaded his own without GCs and I know of one deer that was great tasting down to the last piece .

Still wondering after owning the Savage since the mid 60s when Carl left us, "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MISSING FRONT SIGHT"?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    Dear Bill:
    I am still enjoying the kick from 12 Gauges here in Southern Illinois. I have got around $ 2000.00 in a Beretta Extrema and I want all of you guys to know I sure appreciate that company's complete lack of answering the telephone over a 2 year or so effort. But the IDNR is now saying we are running low on deer after the VERY light turn out from hunters in second season last winter. Oh Well, what do I know about locally owned property.. Or numbers of deer standing in the fields ever evening..!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    No one ever tallies the amount of deer that starve to death or die of old age each year in the forest preserves or other deer safe areas across Illinois.

I met a IDNR man at a fishing hole and asked about the type of fish in the water.

My field is in the grasses surrounding the lake sir was his answer.

He had no clue if there were any fish in the water,deer or turkeys near there.

Yes he was counting the dandelions.

Kankakee River State Psrk has 4,000 acres and what used to be great camp sites for hundreds every day.

No camping,hunting or even information about IDNR is available.

Due to closing all of their sources of income they can no longer afford even pamphlets in the appropriate boxes let alone a real live IDNR person.

Yes I DID check there and even the outhouses have not been cleaned in at least a year or so.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Well said.
    Absolutely!

in Remebrance
    This thread makes me think of my favorite gripe. The "hunters" around here have to get the latest "magnum" offering, stuff it with cartridges using bullets that virtually explode on impact, and go out and blow both front legs off the deer. That way they don't run off. Oh, sighting in consists of three shots that hit a paper plate at a guesstimated 100 yds and that's the only time they shoot the gun all year! They think I'm nuts shooting 30/40AI, .357Max, and .444 with cast, the last 2 usually PP, all in single shots. Cast will lead up your barrel don't you know. Can't cure stupid. I'll shut up now, people will think I'm getting like Recluse. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Bub
    TC, GoodOlBoy put it well, it is up to you and what you feel comfortable shooting. Deer are not tough, don't wear Kevlar and can be brought down with .22lr's, but I don't recommend that. Practice with what you plan to use until you are comfortable with the gun/load, then practice some more. Good luck, Take care, John.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    I would think shoeing a deer would be difficult.

I was going to say something about that, and then I looked a little closer. He's talking about "shooing" deer, like chasing them away, like shooing flies. I think that just about any cartridge that you want to use could be used quite adequately to shoo away the deer. I'll bet even a 22 short would do the job out to at least a hundred yards. Of course, for safety's sake you would have to fire into the ground, not the air. And don't forget to do a thorough examination of the ground to make sure that there's no rocks or hard objects that may cause a ricochet.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.