MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubrisizer for paperpatch bullet?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    guess I messed that up but I aint gonna retype it all so I will do it this way.
    Ok you will do it what way?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by moose0011 View Post
    Ok you will do it what way?
    Good luck bigted..
    I feel your pain..
    LOL

I do it just the same as Bigted.
    Moose0011, if you have a regular GG mold of .458", just size those boolits down to .451" or so, patch them, and then resize to .458" or whatever size your chamber allows.
    As mentioned, after the first sizing, you may want to clean the boolits so the patch doesn't stick too much. On smooth boolits, this is easy, GG boolits may need to be sloshed around in boiling water or something to really clean them.
    You will have to do some experimenting as to what lubes work and what papers work and what sizing process works for you. With the right paper and starting boolit size, you may not need to size the patched boolit at all. IMO, this is much of the fun of paper patching!
    I could send some different boolits to you this summer but I am moving soon so it may be a while before I get my bench set up again.

I refered to the way I replyed to your post ... it wound up mixed in with your post instead of an add on with your post as a quote.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    Moose0011, if you have a regular GG mold of .458", just size those boolits down to .451" or so, patch them, and then resize to .458" or whatever size your chamber allows.
    As mentioned, after the first sizing, you may want to clean the boolits so the patch doesn't stick too much. On smooth boolits, this is easy, GG boolits may need to be sloshed around in boiling water or something to really clean them.
    You will have to do some experimenting as to what lubes work and what papers work and what sizing process works for you. With the right paper and starting boolit size, you may not need to size the patched boolit at all. IMO, this is much of the fun of paper patching!
    I could send some different boolits to you this summer but I am moving soon so it may be a while before I get my bench set up again.
    That would be great. Where are you moving?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    I refered to the way I replyed to your post ... it wound up mixed in with your post instead of an add on with your post as a quote.
    Ok I just realized how you quoted me.. I will have to look into that mold you where talking about.. I may end up making my 458 my do all gun except for maybe long range.

Boolit Buddy
    Not to seem completely dumb but what is a GG Mold. GG is that supposed to mean Gas check. I assumed that was GC that is how I have used it. Please correct me if I am wrong..

Not to seem completely dumb but what is a GG Mold. GG is that supposed to mean Gas check. I assumed that was GC that is how I have used it. Please correct me if I am wrong..
    Grease Groove
    The point is, that you don't need a dedicated paper patch mold, meaning a smooth sided boolit.
    Just about any mold which produces a boolit with more or less parallel sides will do.

I am just moving about a mile away from where I am. I will see what I have cast up already and let you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Grease Groove
    The point is, that you don't need a dedicated paper patch mold, meaning a smooth sided boolit.
    Just about any mold which produces a boolit with more or less parallel sides will do.

I am just moving about a mile away from where I am. I will see what I have cast up already and let you know.
    Sounds great. sorry I have learned so many acronyms here lately and that sad thing is after I read your post I remembered I knew that and felt dumb. O well sooner or later it will all stick

Sounds great. sorry I have learned so many acronyms here lately and that sad thing is after I read your post I remembered I knew that and felt dumb. O well sooner or later it will all stick
    I know what you mean.
    On another forum, lots of mention of RUM chamberings. Took me forever to realize they were referring to Remington Ultra Mags. Not my cup of tea so I didn't dig too deep figuring it out then it just dawned on me...
    I think I have a .458" sizer so maybe I can patch a few and size them for you - if I can squeeze the time in.
    May be better for you to size, patch and size again yourself so you can reproduce the results if they work well for you. Regarding the GG boolits, when they are pushed through a Lee sizer, the grooves are narrowed a bit so when they are patched, they behave quite like a smooth boolit. If using paper on the heavier side, sometimes it is hard to tell if they are smooth or grooved just by looking.

Boolit Buddy
    I know what you mean.
    On another forum, lots of mention of RUM chamberings. Took me forever to realize they were referring to Remington Ultra Mags. Not my cup of tea so I didn't dig too deep figuring it out then it just dawned on me...
    I think I have a .458" sizer so maybe I can patch a few and size them for you - if I can squeeze the time in.
    May be better for you to size, patch and size again yourself so you can reproduce the results if they work well for you. Regarding the GG boolits, when they are pushed through a Lee sizer, the grooves are narrowed a bit so when they are patched, they behave quite like a smooth boolit. If using paper on the heavier side, sometimes it is hard to tell if they are smooth or grooved just by looking.
    Actually I wouldn't mind like one or 2 bullets that have been patched so I can use as a reference, when I try to wrap them

I am new to this PP thing too. I started by reading every thing i could and then i just started trying to patch a boolit i all ready had. I didn't size it i just wrapped them for practice and found it is not that hard. Then i got a push through in .301 from Lee and found some cotton 16lb bond and had at it. For lube i used JJ past wax and then through a .310 die. What little i have tried nothing bad has happened. I think this is one of those thing that one can over think till you give it a try. I did much of what has been posted so as not to try and reinvent the wheel so to say. I don't hunt any thing with them so I cast them on the hard side.

Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post
    ...I think this is one of those thing that one can over think till you give it a try.
    Aint that the truth!
    Is JJ paste wax the same as Johnson's paste wax?
    I have found that this is the closest thing to replicate the surface of the Eley patch I have come up with so far.

I wrapped the bullet with the onion skin paper, lubricate with Vaseline taxied to the bullet Lube Pad and resizing a calibrator manual to homogenize the paper and lubricant.
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

best thing I can recommend is to just wrap a few and send em. work from there. it is a bunch easier then explaining. just need a starting place. my first patchers were made with grease groove boolits I sized down with a Lee pushthru and then wrapped up to size with onion paper purchased from BACO. then I worked from there.

now I have many slick molds of flat base and hollow base in 2 different diameters for my .380's and .460's. I have even patched a lite revolver boolit ...[what a pain]... and sent them at a very rapid pace in my 45-70 and 45-120 over various amounts of smokeless and black powder.

this is a fun and educating addiction that never seems to be done giving its lessons. just about the time you are thinking you have arrived ... some hapless soul suggests something else to try and away ya go again. WHAT FUN!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys I appriciate the Help alot. I will have to check that onion paper out I have never heard of it..

That onion paper will burn your eyes.
    Mr. Bill2

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbill2 View Post
    That onion paper will burn your eyes.
    when I was little my dad you to tell me he was gonna get in my eyes like onions lol.. you made me think of that.

Boolit Buddy
    hi moose ,
    im not an expert by far , but my castings are of the gascheck type , with greasegrooves.
    for me this works very good , the patch nicely shrinks in the grease grooves , and the shank for the gascheck gives me a good base
    for a paperdisc at the bulletbase , and lets me easily remove the tail of the patch , tearing that of when wet i mean , and with my finger i tap the litlle overhang around the base.
    now for the original question , the final step for me is to put them through my lyman lubesizer , with a 50/50 mixture of beeswax / vaseline . it works great for me in the 6.5x55mm cartridge.

Gas checked bullets make it easier to twist the tails with tearing the paper.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!