PDA

View Full Version : Franken-Ruger

Pages : [1] 2 3

BCgunworks
08-29-2014, 06:45 PM
I have been a handgun hunter for over 10 years now. One thing that I always wanted was the ability to rest my revolver without changing the point of impact. If you take your factory revolver and rest the barrel, frame, or whatever differently than how you zeroed it the point of impact will be different most of the time.
Well one day brain storming and a lot of sketch work later along with a touch of R&D I came up with the Franken-Ruger.
The Franken-Ruger started life as a factory GP-100. The barrel was removed and a new 10” barrel was fitted along with an aluminum free float shroud. Yes that’s right, a free float shroud on a revolver. Not like a Dan Wesson where the barrel is strung tight through a shroud and connected to both ends. Truly free floating.
A half inch of the rear of the shroud is connected to the barrel and the rest has about 1/16” of clearance. We also fitted a Mac’s Gunworks muzzle brake.
The barrel chosen was a Green Mountian 357 pistol caliber barrel with a 1/20 twist. I have never used one of their blanks and thought it was worth a try.
And of course trigger work, cylinder timing, throats, and so on were worked.
A factory GP-100 with 6” barrel weighs in at 2.8 pounds. The Franken-Ruger is just 3 pounds with a 10” barrel, shroud, scope mount, and brake!
During initial testing grouping at 50 yards was right around an inch with factory Remington Golden Saber 135 grain 357 magnum loads. The gun has shot to the same point of impact off bags, free hand, and shooting sticks. I had just a handful of 158 and 160 grain lead bullets and they were showing great promise and I just got more in so more to come on the groupings and how this Green Mountian barrel does!
All grouping has been done firing all 6 chambers. We are not picking just one!

monge
08-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Nice work looks like a tac driver!

Johnch
08-29-2014, 07:04 PM
I like the way you did the shroud

Wish I still had a GP 100 to try your idea on

John

GP100man
08-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Looks like a good "Bench Revolver" !!

I`d like 1 to have in a treestand ,then I could rest it on the rails !!

I`d like ya to comment on the muzzle brake, does it make the revolver louder ??? they sure do on a rifle !!
1 more question, did ya use the shroud on the same threads on the barrel to set the cyl. gap & use the shroud as a lock ??

GP

BCgunworks
08-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Once the patent is awarded (almost there) I'll tell you how it's attached.

Muzzle break. Yup it's louder. But it cuts recoil and flip a lot.

The gun is not muzzle heavy. You could shoot it off hand. Or the barrel can be made shorter.

silverado
08-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Awesome and creative idea!!

Fergie
08-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Not what I expected when reading the title.

Well done.

BCgunworks
08-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Obviously it doesn't spark an internist with a traditional wheel gunner. But someone looking to expand the capabilities of the wheel gun should be interested.

lar45
08-31-2014, 10:53 PM
I like it! The GP-100 is a great revolver. My 4" is my favorite 357.

44man
09-02-2014, 11:58 AM
I see nothing there. Does not matter where a revolver barrel is rested, it comes off a rest so fast it means nothing. It is the grip area that counts but the more I shoot from bags, the less I see and all my guns are now sighted from bags and hit the same off hand.
Any POI change was found to be ME and how I held off hand.
Yes, I had problems for a while, even sighted for hunting from Creedmore until I seen the truth.
Free floating a revolver barrel is no solution for a problem that does not exist.

BCgunworks
09-02-2014, 02:40 PM
44man. It's defiantly something that changes groupings. Barrels that touch anything change harmonics.
Harmonics changing change the point of impact. A barrel acts like a tuning fork. Changing the vibration changes the position of the barrel upon the bullet leaving the bore.

This is is why free floating of rifles has become standard.

Controlling harmonics is is why tuners have become standard in bench rest shooting.

Its physics.

BCgunworks
09-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Ideally what you are trying to achieve is the barrel freely vibrating the same with every shot so that the bullet leaves the bore at the same point during these vibrations.

44man
09-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Short barrels do not suffer from that. It is why a pistol can shoot better then a rifle. Short and stiff.

BCgunworks
09-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Um.....ok

anyways. Harmonics. All barrels are subject to it.

Im not arguing the point with you.
I have pointed out the facts. Nothing more needs said.

ErnieBishop
09-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Looking forward to hunting with a Franken-Ruger.
I like the field practical concept. A traditionalist I am not.
I am of the mindset/belief that putting pressure on the barrel will change POI.

44man
09-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Every rifle I ever customized had a free float, I fully believe in it but never found a problem with short barrels. You can even rest a rifle barrel on a bag if you find the "node point."
I rest revolver barrels near the muzzle and sight my .500 and .475 from bags, still hit to 120 yards off hand. The front bag has never been a problem, recoil removes the barrel from the bag instantly, it is the grip that causes problems.
I had a problem hitting high off hand until I found I was the problem, holding lighter then from bags. Gun came up faster. I do not believe in the frame on a bag or sticks.
That thing might work if you have no control. Just might be a good idea. I would not call it "harmonics" though.

ErnieBishop
09-03-2014, 10:00 AM
So, you are suggesting that indiscriminate placement on the barrel (and it depends what is actually touching the barrel [bag versus hard surface] may change POI in a revolver depending on where it is placed?

44man
09-03-2014, 11:02 AM
So, you are suggesting that indiscriminate placement on the barrel (and it depends what is actually touching the barrel [bag versus hard surface] may change POI in a revolver depending on where it is placed?
No, my barrel can be anywhere on the front bag. It just leaves the bag so fast it has no affect. It is at the rear that counts. Much different then a rifle. I actually rest the grip on a bag too but bag tension will change elevation. The rear bag must be consistent or you will string. It is like "roll" with a revolver. Let the gun roll in hand and you will not hit anything.
The revolver POI is 100% dependent on recoil. Some grips are sensitive to hold and I can not shoot a Bisley because a few ounces change drives me nuts. S&W 29's the same. SRH just needs FIRM. You can move around on a hog leg. A RH is a pain. It is all in your hand and when I shoot deer with my .475 I talk to myself, "hold tight." The .44 is a lot easier.115361This is three shots off hand at 100 with my SBH after sighting from bags. Crazy 3/4" group. Had to go up and get the camera.
It is NOT the barrel. Please don't ask me to do this again! My normal is 6" at 100 off hand. Just had a good day but I kill deer to 120 yards off hand after sighting from bags.

tazman
09-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Every rifle I ever customized had a free float, I fully believe in it but never found a problem with short barrels. You can even rest a rifle barrel on a bag if you find the "node point."
I rest revolver barrels near the muzzle and sight my .500 and .475 from bags, still hit to 120 yards off hand. The front bag has never been a problem, recoil removes the barrel from the bag instantly, it is the grip that causes problems.
I had a problem hitting high off hand until I found I was the problem, holding lighter then from bags. Gun came up faster. I do not believe in the frame on a bag or sticks.
That thing might work if you have no control. Just might be a good idea. I would not call it "harmonics" though.

I think you have worked out a great set of techniques that work for you and many others. I also think that since so many people have different skill levels than you do, they may need different techniques.
Different hand sizes, different levels of strength in the hands and arms, Different eyes. All these have an effect on groups and abilities. I used to be able to hold steadier than I do now. I used to be able to see better than I do now. Since my arthritis, I can no longer absorb the recoil I used to. I have to make adjustments to try to improve.
Some of your techniques work for me. Others don't. I use what I can.
I was never in your class as a shooter on my best days in my life. That still doesn't mean I can use everything you teach.
I will be happy to try what you suggest. If it doesn't work for me, I will try something else until I find what does work for me.

williamwaco
09-03-2014, 12:13 PM
45!

(44 + 1)

I sight and test all revolvers with the barrel rested in a v groove rest and the butt on a sandbag.

I do not notice a change in poi when shooting off hand.

BCgunworks
09-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Well I guess I have learned my lesson.

Lesson #1.
No matter what there are picks everywhere.
You basically said my time and money was a waste. And garbage.

Lesson #2

You don understand what happens from the time the trigger is pulled. Yup you and your grip matter a lot. But there is a lot more goin on. But since you can't see it. It must not be there.

Lesson 3

It wouldn't matter what scientific evidence was posted. You would wipe it off as hog wash.

Everything stated has been scientific my proven

Support or rests touching a barrel and changing point of impact can be and have been proven from the mechanical rest. That eliminates the weak link. The human.

I'm done.

I will make sure and post your calling this garbage thread in the front of the shop. Maybe it will keep customers from wasting their hard Earned money. But then again when they go out back and shoot it for themselves I think it sells itself.

44man
09-03-2014, 03:21 PM
I think you have worked out a great set of techniques that work for you and many others. I also think that since so many people have different skill levels than you do, they may need different techniques.
Different hand sizes, different levels of strength in the hands and arms, Different eyes. All these have an effect on groups and abilities. I used to be able to hold steadier than I do now. I used to be able to see better than I do now. Since my arthritis, I can no longer absorb the recoil I used to. I have to make adjustments to try to improve.
Some of your techniques work for me. Others don't. I use what I can.
I was never in your class as a shooter on my best days in my life. That still doesn't mean I can use everything you teach.
I will be happy to try what you suggest. If it doesn't work for me, I will try something else until I find what does work for me.
This is correct. Everyone is different. The free float revolver barrel might work super for some, I am not kicking it down the road. Some love a Bisley too. Yet I can not shoot them. I will never forget the 29's I owned where each would do 1/2" at 50 meters. I would ground the guns and set targets, pick it up and still shoot 1/2" groups but 10" from the first group. It was ME, not the gun. felt the same but it was not. The 29 shot better off hand then from a rest or Creedmore and never placed in IHMSA shoots. Not a single first place from a very accurate revolver. It is the back end that you hold.
The thing might work but I assure you that you can't alter your hold.
I have huge problem deer hunting, shot so many I tend to relax because they don't bother me, no buck fever at all. I can not hold looser then on the range. I need to get a grip.

leftiye
09-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Well I guess I have learned my lesson.

Lesson #1.
No matter what there are picks everywhere.
You basically said my time and money was a waste. And garbage.

Lesson #2

You don understand what happens from the time the trigger is pulled. Yup you and your grip matter a lot. But there is a lot more goin on. But since you can't see it. It must not be there.

Lesson 3

It wouldn't matter what scientific evidence was posted. You would wipe it off as hog wash.

Everything stated has been scientific my proven

Support or rests touching a barrel and changing point of impact can be and have been proven from the mechanical rest. That eliminates the weak link. The human.

I'm done.

I will make sure and post your calling this garbage thread in the front of the shop. Maybe it will keep customers from wasting their hard Earned money. But then again when they go out back and shoot it for themselves I think it sells itself.

44man only expressed his opinion. And he has a right to an opinion. I'm afraid that this all got me thinking. Maybe you should pay less attention to barrel vibrations as - though they may have effect, I'd expect that barrels bouncing off of soft or hard surfaces due to recoil probly do have much more effect. Barrel vibrations would fling a boolit much less far. Transferring what is proven for a bench rest (or other) rifle to a revolver may be quite invalid. I still like your creation, I just wonder if 44man isn't right about other things being much more important than barrel vibrations. You should test your invention and see if the whole gizmo doesn't recoil off of a rest.

ErnieBishop
09-04-2014, 10:34 AM
I would suggest, that person actually try it for themselves, and see what results they get. I always recommend a person shoot from field positions and see what his actual drops are from those field positions out to their MAX distance. Even with rifles and specialty pistols you can have a change of impact when going from the bench to prone or other field positions. It also allows you to see how differently your group size changes when you practice from those positions.

snowwolfe
09-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Here is my two cents worth. I have always avoided resting the barrel on anything thinking it would change the POI because everyone told me it would change due to barrel harmonics. But I have never sighted in a revolver while resting the barrel on a rest then shot it to see if POI did in fact actually change. I just always came from the school that believed it would.

So, now when I get some time will actually shoot with the barrel rested and then off hand to see what happens.

ErnieBishop
09-04-2014, 10:41 AM
I would expect for there to be greater shift in POI the further you go out in terms of distance.
The amount of pressure would make a difference as well.
When field shooting if everything is not right, but the distance is short and I know that the less than perfect set up will still put it in the vitals-Green light! When things get further, wouldn't even think about it.

pietro
09-04-2014, 10:55 AM

Interesting thread/idea - I'm glad it worked out for you. but I used the EASY button, instead.

I sight-in my handguns with no part of the gun touching anything other than my hands - holding the gun tightly in one or both hands just forward of the rest, with my wrist(s) planted solidly atop the rest.

BCgunworks
09-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Here is where everyone is missing the point.

Think beyond the square range.

This was not developed for bench shooting.

It was made for field shooting.

When in the field we often or at least you should be looking to take a supported shot to make the most accurate shot possible.

Often times that means shooting off shooting sticks, shooting rails in a stand, packs, a tree, and so on.

All of the above surfaces are different. All will and do affect poi.

So the age old idea was to rest the frame or butt of the gun on sticks or whatever.

This kinda works. The shroud bottom is rounded and is a 3/4" radius. This settles in shootig sticks or a bog pod well. Also let's you level it in a bag or a shooting rail.

Once again. This is not designed to go shoot off sand bags and then run to the woods to hunt.

It is made for field shooting. Pair it with a good set of shooting sticks and practice and you can extend your range.

BCgunworks
09-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Here is the 100 yard grouping fired today. 150 grain noe hp bullet. 115458

44man
09-04-2014, 02:44 PM
If it works, I am 100% behind you. do you know how much I have lost? Recently seen bow tuning at 24 hour campfire. It was wrong to make money. I posted and got a PM telling me to go FMS. My method is used by Easton arrows and NAP. But I made it easy for anyone to tune without giving the creep money.
My stuff was copyrighted but you need to be rich to fight it when stolen. Been tossed from sites but still see a mod copy me word for word.

44man
09-04-2014, 02:55 PM
You might have something so I reserve comments. Damned it I have been bashed to pieces. I hope you don't think I am doing that, go for it!

snowwolfe
09-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Just returned from the range with my S&W Stealth Hunter in 44 mag. Last week I sighted it in by resting my forearms on the bench at 25 yards. Today took my rest and rested the barrel while holding the grip off the bench. Same point of impact but much better groups, which is to be expected.
Am going to keep an open mind about this but so far I like the results.

tazman
09-04-2014, 03:58 PM

Impressive grouping. Looks like a winner to me.

ErnieBishop
09-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Nice!
What did that 6-shot group measure center-to-center?

BCgunworks
09-04-2014, 05:37 PM

Just so you can see it's not my first rodeo.

Pdog with a smith 44. Shot several between 50-100 or so yards

tazman
09-04-2014, 08:02 PM
I like the idea that you can rest that portion of the pistol on almost anything without effecting things. Hunting situations require makeshift rests quite often.
I am always resting the stock of my 22 rifle on something to get steady when I go squirrel hunting.

44man
09-05-2014, 03:44 PM
The thing that burns me are the gray squirrels on the ground, do they EVER stop? I used to get them with open sights and my Mark I's and II's but now I feel like I am a flag in the wind.

ErnieBishop
09-05-2014, 03:55 PM
My eyes are such that I always use an optic of some kind when the distance begins to get a little far out.

leftiye
09-06-2014, 03:28 AM
Now take the gizmo off and see if it shoots better or worse. No fair shooting a big group just to make the gizmo look good.

BCgunworks
09-06-2014, 07:22 AM
Another one that misses the point of the shroud

BCgunworks
09-06-2014, 07:23 AM
I can build a wheel gun all day long that will shoot like that. Can do it with a pencil barrel, a bull, or whatever.
You have missed the point of the concept.

BCgunworks
09-06-2014, 07:35 AM
What has been proven with the "gizmo" is that poi does not change.

I shoot quite well. Been told by others I shoot really good. Have lots of pictures of game taken with a wheel gun. From tree rats and prairie dogs to big game. Even some groundhogs well over 250yds.
And yup. I have missed too. Who haven't.

I can can rest the shroud on shooting sticks and not change poi. If I rest the barrel poi is higher.

Same was noted with shooting off a verticle and horizontal 4x4 on the range. On the verticle it pushed the shot to the side. But when resting the shroud there where no issues.

Havent tried off off a shooting rail on a tree stand yet but I will with time.

What started this whole endeavor was the fact that doing the above tests with a standard handgun all affect poi. And shooting from a supported position is something we should all be doing on game if possible.

The only way I have found to shoot a standard wheel gun from support without changing poi is resting the butt on a soft bag. Even doing this it helps to have the hogue big butt grips to give a nice roll with the recoil.

daniel lawecki
09-06-2014, 08:43 AM
I think you both make good points on the resting of barrels. I also shoot a lot and think you both have come to a stalemate. Really would like to test your shroud but that's another story for a later date.:veryconfu

Love Life
09-06-2014, 08:45 AM
I like the idea and think the revolver is legit. I would have loved to have had one back out west.

Honestly, I would have stopped posting any information or data by now. It's just not worth it in the presence of the experts.

Your invention/method has been called worthless and a gizmo by those who have not tested it, and for that I apologize.

Love Life
09-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Wow. That 100 yd revolver group is better than a lot of the 50 yd cast rifle groups posted on this forum.

BCgunworks
09-06-2014, 09:15 AM
I like the idea and think the revolver is legit. I would have loved to have had one back out west.

Honestly, I would have stopped posting any information or data by now. It's just not worth it in the presence of the experts.

Your invention/method has been called worthless and a gizmo by those who have not tested it, and for that I apologize.

I don't worry about the couple of know it alls. This is the part that comes with posting any new idea on a public forum. I'm sure you see it if you post your ideas on a custom boolit

what is good is this post has over 1000 views. And only a couple people calling it a bad idea.
Those couple. Frankly. Don't concern me. Especially when they prove in their statements they don't understand the goal of the product and they don't understand what it fixes.

pkie44
09-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Idea and work is sound. Lots of things change the POI, primers, bullet weight, neck tension, crimp, case capacity, consistency of powder charge, position of powder in the case, consistency of grip and barrel harmonics. Most of the above seem to be magnified with a longer barrel. I think the groups posted should speak for themselves. Love Life's sig line is also good advice.

BCgunworks
09-06-2014, 10:10 AM
The guns always here in the shop for people to try out.

pkie44
09-06-2014, 10:16 AM
If I am ever in your neighborhood I'll take you up on the offer! A bit far for a Saturday afternoon drive!:mrgreen:

ErnieBishop
09-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Come June, you can head up to NE Wyoming and use the 357 Franken Ruger on Steel & PD's[smilie=w:

BCgunworks
09-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Yup. It will get run hard at WYSHOT. The distances we will be shooting with it will draw out more of the comments.

daniel lawecki
09-06-2014, 11:08 AM
If I get by that way it'll be spring time or early summer. I'm open minded anything that improves my shooting. I read a lot of the post on this and other forums so that I can improve. Whether shooting reloading casting or lube making its fun to learn.

BCgunworks
09-06-2014, 11:33 AM
You'll be likely to run into one at a local range by then. Orders are in full swing.
The one I am shooting is the gen 1 version. Gen 2 is a lot better

Love Life
09-06-2014, 05:18 PM
I'd like to see and shoot one. If you ever make it to southern Georgia for a show or something, my door is open to you and the coffee is hot!!!

BCgunworks
09-06-2014, 06:05 PM
I'll be on the sc /ga line hunting with it the week of sept 20

Love Life
09-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Hmmm...sounds like I need to make a road trip?

BCgunworks
09-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Bangs paradise valley hunt club. They have a website. Just search the above name

I'll be down there along with another hunter filming some hunts to help them advertise and we will be plugging my custom guns as well as a bother smith.

It's a working trip. During the middle of the day we should be on the range every day

Jaymo
09-07-2014, 06:40 PM
I'm intrigued.
Obviously, you have put a bit of time and effort into this.
How does it compare to a tensioned barrel of a Dan Wesson?

BCgunworks
09-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Nothin in common with a dan wesson.

A dan wesson barrel shroud is just like those on the x frame smiths and PC guns. It does not help with poi shift when shooting from a rest

This lets you rest the shroud on anything you want and not change poi

Also let's us run a lighter barrel. This gun with a 10" barrel weighs 3 pounds. A 6" factory gp100 is 2.8.

The Franken ruger is also not muzzle heavy.

The biggest thing is the fact that you can shoot off any kind of support in the field and not shift poi.

The green mtn barrel is only available in a 1-20 twist. This stabilizes 150 grain and under bullets fine. All the ones I'm making now are with 1-14 twist.

Jaymo
09-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Ok.
Thanks for the reply/explanation.

Cmm_3940
09-08-2014, 03:22 AM
Given the relationship between resonating body (barrel) length and resonant frequency (harmonics), and the difference between rifle and handgun energy levels, I'm afraid I remain skeptical. Yes, I'm aware other factors are involved, but those are the big ones that jump out at me. I can't and won't say that your device doesn't work, but I just don't see it working for the reasons you have cited. To me, this has the appearance of an elaborate magic feather.

This is, of course, my opinion.

BCgunworks
09-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Given the relationship between resonating body (barrel) length and resonant frequency (harmonics), and the difference between rifle and handgun energy levels, I'm afraid I remain skeptical. Yes, I'm aware other factors are involved, but those are the big ones that jump out at me. I can't and won't say that your device doesn't work, but I just don't see it working for the reasons you have cited. To me, this has the appearance of an elaborate magic feather.

This is, of course, my opinion.
Only thing I can say to you bud…. The same principles apply to a 22lr a it does to a 338 lapua.
And all the same principles apply to a 2" barrel as it does a 30".

Physics don't go away. As I stated before. It's always in the shop for people to try. It's very quick to prove it does in fact work.
I travel when I sponsor shootin events all over the USA. More than likely it will be there with me as well.

Cmm_3940
09-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Only thing I can say to you bud…. The same principles apply to a 22lr a it does to a 338 lapua.
And all the same principles apply to a 2" barrel as it does a 30".

Physics don't go away. As I stated before.

Agreed. And this it why I am skeptical. I believe it works like this:

- Shorter barrel length = higher natural frequency = higher resonant frequencies —> smaller wave amplitudes —> less overall effect of barrel harmonics on POI.

- lower energy input = smaller wave amplitude = less overall effect of barrel harmonics on POI.

It's always in the shop for people to try. It's very quick to prove it does in fact work.

I never said it didn't work. I just question the physics of barrel harmonics as being the operative factor. Shooter perception and the physics of the small muscles in the hand seem to me to be more likely candidates.

I travel when I sponsor shootin events all over the USA. More than likely it will be there with me as well.

Good for you and more power to ya.

BCgunworks
09-08-2014, 10:01 AM
I never said it didn't work. I just question the physics of barrel harmonics as being the operative factor. Shooter perception and the physics of the small muscles in the hand seem to me to be more likely

This is a very good point. If you have poor marksmen ship skills then a custom firearm will do nothing for you.

You can work on your grip, sight alignment and sight picture, recoil control and so on....this works on the things you can't control.

There are several things the system helps with. One is balance of the firearm. From 5" to 12" barrel it remains balanced. The weight remains over the hand.

The addition of the muzzle brake in the faster calibers reduces recoil and muzzle flip. Which greatly helps with the shooters follow through.

Using aluminum for the shroud removes heat from the light barrel quickly and helps with heat dissipation. Since stainless heats and expands rapidly this is a good benefit for such a light barrel.

And of course the shroud which achieves the primary goal of the system. Allowing different shooting rests in the field to be used and not apply pressure to the barrel.

This is not designed to replace marksman ship. It is designed for field shooting.
Our goal is repeatable 1moa accuracy or better when shot off of various rests. We are not just looking to hit a pie plate.

So once again. I think love life said it best in his previous posts. And to sum it up. If you haven't tried it. Then don't bash it or call it a magic feather.

as with everything I create. It's available for people to try out and form your own opinions.

ErnieBishop
09-08-2014, 11:57 AM
It seems like any time when someone begins doing something that is outside the box, there will be those who doubt, and understandably so.
The proof is revealed in the results.
With a different handgun type, back in the late 80's, I can remember being told, "This won't work," "It can't be done," "You can't have good accuracy with short barrels and large case capacity," "It is not efficient therefore it will have poor accuracy," "You can't shoot accurately from field positions (sub half MOA at distance) when using a field bad/pillow bag," etc., etc., etc...
One of my frustrations with revolvers is exactly what BCgunworks is in the process of solving.
I have taken whitetail, mule deer, and antelope with revolvers from prone and sitting positions, and the limitation has always been getting a solid rest in field positions that will not change point of impact. Of course, grip has and will always be an issue, but this design is extremely intriguing to me. Yes, I will likely shoot a revolver further than some would be comfortable with or think is possible, but I have always been intrigued with distance and accuracy from field positions in handguns of all kinds. I have a friend who has a signature, I really like (Fellow handgun shooter, hunter, and competitor), "If you think something is not possible, move out of the way so the ones that are doing it can." I sort of wish I had thought that up:mrgreen:
I am always looking for field functional tools that I can use to shoot and hunt with.
I am not so concerned with aesthetics or traditional, but functional.
This is not for everyone for sure, but for some it is what we have been looking for[smilie=w:

tazman
09-08-2014, 02:54 PM
If I were a good enough shot to hunt with a handgun, I would be all over this idea. Sounds like a perfect cure for what ails me most.

snowwolfe
09-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Two more handguns went to the range with me and both had the barrels rested on the rest. Neither changed point of impact from when I sighted them in my hands off the bench at 50 yards. I am liking this!

ErnieBishop
09-08-2014, 07:17 PM
That is always a good thing!
Curious..Iron sights or optic (If optic what kind?)
6-shot group size @ 50 yards on each occasion?

BCgunworks
09-08-2014, 07:37 PM
I would be more curious about what is being considered acceptable accuracy.

Now ow rest them on a harder surfaces like shooting sticks. Watch what happens.

GP100man
09-08-2014, 08:06 PM
How heavy a boolit have ya shot with the 1in14 barrels ?? 200grs. ???

BCgunworks
09-08-2014, 08:10 PM
So far anything 158 and up shoots good in the 1/14

There may be other issues with the green mtn.

I have used a bunch of their rimfire barrels but this was the first centerfire

1/14 was the standard twist for some I the colt double actions and many of the tc barrels.

Many custom ppc guns and bullseye guns have been built on the 1/14

The 1/20 seems to like light bullets. And that makes sense. Didn't know it was going to cut off at 150 grain tho.

BCgunworks
09-08-2014, 08:11 PM
The 1/20 really likes factory 135 grain golden saber

BCgunworks
09-08-2014, 08:17 PM
In sorry. I didn't read your question fully. 180 is the heaviest I have shot with the 1/14.

The Franken ruger pictured in this thread is a gen 1. It will be changed to the gen2 in October which greatly improves accuracy. And the barrel will be changed to a 1/14. I'll do more heavy bullet shooting then. Both jacketed and cast

snowwolfe
09-09-2014, 12:03 AM
That is always a good thing!
Curious..Iron sights or optic (If optic what kind?)
6-shot group size @ 50 yards on each occasion?

Both iron sights, one a .22 LR and the other a 5.5 inch 45 Colt. Didn't measure group size but memory suggests they were somewhere in the range of 4.5 - 5.5 inches. I am trying to get a baseline as one will soon hold a scope and the other a red dot.

ErnieBishop
09-09-2014, 12:31 AM
With my eyesight, I wouldn't be able to do accuracy work with iron sights at 50 yards-I need optics of some kind.

snowwolfe
09-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Ernie, me either. This is why I wanted to try a solid rest so I could see how much installing optics actually helped me. Not even sure I know why I want to try as where I will be hunting it will be a rare day I shoot anything beyond 50 yards.

BCgunworks
09-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Both iron sights, one a .22 LR and the other a 5.5 inch 45 Colt. Didn't measure group size but memory suggests they were somewhere in the range of 4.5 - 5.5 inches. I am trying to get a baseline as one will soon hold a scope and the other a red dot.
5" groups are defiantly enough to hide poi shift. 5" groups are also enough to hide the fact that different chambers may shoot to different poi.

What at were the groups before you rested it? I'm guessing double.

snowwolfe
09-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Good question, I never shot either of them benched at 50 yards before. Have killed a ton of critters with revolvers and so far my longest shot has been a mule deer offhand at 75 yards. The majority were killed under 35 yards away.

BCgunworks
09-09-2014, 10:49 AM
That's good. And I too have taken a bunch with a standard wheel gun

BCgunworks
09-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Precision armament sent us a couple brakes to try. And they did quiet well. We will do more testing soon.
Yes they are quite large. Smaller ones would be what we are looking for in the future.

Bellow the group was at 50 yards in the double kneeling. No support. 150 lead hp. Screaming. No recoil. Clean and cold gun. Fired all 6 chambers.

BCgunworks
09-15-2014, 07:42 AM
116387another almost done

BCgunworks
09-15-2014, 11:20 AM
Looks like we may have a shooter. First 12 rounds down the tube. 40 yards. First one went off the group. 116406

BCgunworks
10-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Little VIdeo of the Franken-Ruger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTfh6OKvIgk

ErnieBishop
10-26-2014, 09:28 AM
My own Franken-Ruger is in the process of being built.
The only thing I am not 100% sure of is which scope I will use the most.

cbrick
10-27-2014, 11:06 AM
How did I miss this thread? Just found it this morning. Much better explanation of the revolver here than in the other two threads I was involved in.

I agree with 44man that grip is critical in long range revolver but I also agree with BC that it is not the only thing.

The idea of barrel movement when resting the barrel is very easy to prove for any that may be skeptical of the idea. If the firearm is rested on the barrel the muzzle will rise, longer barrels more than shorter but it is still there. Mount a scope on a rifle because it's easier to see the effect with a rifle and put a bore scope in the muzzle, sight the scope to center of the grid of the bore scope. In the offhand shooting position have someone place their finger under the barrel near the muzzle and gently lift the barrel just a bit while you watch the cross hairs on the grid. You WILL be shocked by the amount of movement you see. That's with a rifle but the exact same thing will happen with long barreled handguns, how much depends on barrel length and barrel diameter but it does still occur.

I've done a huge amount of long range revolver shooting in both Creedmoor and from the bench. I cannot use the same sight settings in either offhand or Creedmoor that I use from the bench. Point of impact WILL be higher shooting from the bench with the barrel in a rest, the longer the range the more disparity. It may be difficult to impossible to see this effect at 15-25 yards but my shooting starts at 50 and goes to 200 yards. The concept of the free floated barrel also has nothing to do with 25 yard shooting. I like the idea, intriguing.

Rick

BCgunworks
10-27-2014, 11:26 AM
How did I miss this thread? Just found it this morning. Much better explanation of the revolver here than in the other two threads I was involved in.

I agree with 44man that grip is critical in long range revolver but I also agree with BC that it is not the only thing.

The idea of barrel movement when resting the barrel is very easy to prove for any that may be skeptical of the idea. If the firearm is rested on the barrel the muzzle will rise, longer barrels more than shorter but it is still there. Mount a scope on a rifle because it's easier to see the effect with a rifle and put a bore scope in the muzzle, sight the scope to center of the grid of the bore scope. In the offhand shooting position have someone place their finger under the barrel near the muzzle and gently lift the barrel just a bit while you watch the cross hairs on the grid. You WILL be shocked by the amount of movement you see. That's with a rifle but the exact same thing will happen with long barreled handguns, how much depends on barrel length and barrel diameter but it does still occur.

I've done a huge amount of long range revolver shooting in both Creedmoor and from the bench. I cannot use the same sight settings in either offhand or Creedmoor that I use from the bench. Point of impact WILL be higher shooting from the bench with the barrel in a rest, the longer the range the more disparity. It may be difficult to impossible to see this effect at 15-25 yards but my shooting starts at 50 and goes to 200 yards. The concept of the free floated barrel also has nothing to do with 25 yard shooting. I like the idea, intriguing.

Rick
Finally someone that gets it......

When I brain stormed the concept I had no idea it would shoot as good as it does.

I hunt with and shoot a lot of wheel guns and autos. In fact. I don't touch a rifle except for test firing customers guns.

I have taken vermin with a standard handgun at distances over 200 yards. And I know the struggles I had with field shooting a standard handgun.
Rests of different types messed with the poi. Well now it looks like we fixed that.

Grip is still important. We just eliminated the poi from barrel resting or frame resting issue.

ErnieBishop
10-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Rick,
When it comes to grip, the way that I will shoot it the majority of the time (using field rests) is one-handed with a small leather field bag/squeeze bag underneath the grip. I control fine vertical adjustment with my off-hand on the small pillow bag. I shoot my SP's the very same way.
I know this seems to be different than the way the majority revolver guys shoot (exception being ISHMA), but it works very well for me.

cbrick
10-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Ernie, I do it kinda similar except with the front and not the grip. As 44man pointed out, the grip will steer the muzzle, slight variation on the grip during recoil will change muzzle rise/direction. I use a rest sometimes but mostly with revolver I use two shotgun shot bags filled firm with sand and on top of that a third bag filled looser. Barrel rested on the loose bag, right handed grip, left hand on the loose bag. At least for me, I get less variation from the recoil that way but grip and follow through are still critical. Change your grip in the slightest and you have changed POI.

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Hmmm....Interesting. Seems like it works for you though.
I'm glad I don't have to worry about that.
How long does it take you to get set-up for that kind of shooting?
Are subsequent shots much quicker?

Ernie, I do it kinda similar except with the front and not the grip. As 44man pointed out, the grip will steer the muzzle, slight variation on the grip during recoil will change muzzle rise/direction. I use a rest sometimes but mostly with revolver I use two shotgun shot bags filled firm with sand and on top of that a third bag filled looser. Barrel rested on the loose bag, right handed grip, left hand on the loose bag. At least for me, I get less variation from the recoil that way but grip and follow through are still critical. Change your grip in the slightest and you have changed POI.

Rick

cbrick
10-28-2014, 12:41 AM
It's not bad getting set up. I don't rush shots & the second shot is no more than the first. Grip is so important whether I'm grouping or competing in Creedmoor after each shot I take the revolver out of my hand completely and replace it in exactly the place as the last shot. The grip WILL twist in your hand under recoil and even a little means the grip is different and it will shoot to a different POI on the next shot. Even a 22 rf revolver will twist so consider a big bore.

Rick

JesterGrin_1
10-28-2014, 05:01 AM
My perspective on this is more of each individuals own perspective. And that is if you feel that a Modification gives that individual confidence in better shooting run with it as each and every person is an Individual on how they do and perceive things.

Thus if One is using something that the Individual has Great Confidence in then they Will do better whether the item is a true benefit or not depending on again each individuals view of said Modification.

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 06:34 AM
No doubt confidence is huge.
Funny thing is, I wasn't incredibly worried about it or have any expectations. I just approached it with an open mind and shot them under a variety of different positions, gripping them different, at first both hands on the grip and later one with a bag underneath, then with the SSR with loosely filled bag. I shot it fast, and I shot it slow. Come to think of it, I didn't treat it as if it was a revolver. I treated it as if it was a XP-100, with a free-floated barrel, and it worked.

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 07:25 AM
I think with the recoil being next to nothing we have minimized the grip issues.

When both the front and rear of the gun are rested i let the gun free recoil

When I shoot prone I rest the butt on a bag I grip it firm.

Same with other positions.

I have not seen a poi shift

But if I rest the barrel itself there is a shift.

As stated by cbrick. You won't see the difference as clearly at 25 yards. It starts to show up at 50. And is clear as day at 100+.

44man
10-28-2014, 10:00 AM
My problem is that deer do not ever offer me time to set sticks or a rest. Most times I need to twist to the side and shoot off hand anyway. It is rare to have deer out front to set up on. I can hit moving deer easier then standing because the smooth sweep of leading removes shakes. It is harder to hold on a standing deer then swinging ahead of a running deer. I have no rests in ladder stands to set the gun on either.
Like the first this year I posted about on Hunting with cast boolits. Came from behind and I had to stand and shoot off hand.
Now the thing might shoot better groups from a rest But not an option in the field. Even a ground stand will not have deer out front to set up on, need to twist out of shape to shoot another direction. Deer never cooperate. How would you shoot moving deer from sticks?
My BFR's have done 1/2" at 100 yards from bags so even if the tube allows better groups, field use is not the same.
The only caliber I have trouble with is the .475 with barrel rise and torque so I need to sight in different for deer. I hit higher off hand
If you see a deer walking through, can you set sticks? What if the deer is far left or right? Behind you? I have used elbows on my knees twice in all these years so what good are the tubes? Paper targets?
Not to deter from an idea but explain how it would help me in the field unless I have a rest? My kills are well over 550 deer, most off hand with anything that can be shot. 99% off hand, no sticks. Last season I shot 7 deer, one with a long bow and wood arrow, rest off hand with revolvers. Tell me what the tube will do for me.

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 10:24 AM
If you are that good of an off-hand shooter, then why would need anything more.
Truth is, most are not that proficient under pressure off-hand on running game.
FYI- I don't shoot at running game-Not my skill set.
But I will shoot further on game than many would be comfortable-My skill set
Some of my big game hunting, can be at further distances, than some would have in tight cover.
I am not Quigley with a rifle or handgun, so I am always looking for rest of some kind.
I am primarily a spot-n-stalk hunter, not a stand hunter. Even with whitetail.
If I am stand hunting, I have several ways to make a shot from either unsupported to supported.
With a rest or without. One-handed or two-handed.
I can do all of the above with the FR and still be spot on accuracy wise, even at distance.
In some of the scenario's the "tube" would not come into play, while in others it certainly would.
I hunt with a bow some too...29 yards (not really far though).
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/xphunter_2006/IMG_6762_zps62dc5fa1.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/xphunter_2006/media/IMG_6762_zps62dc5fa1.jpg.html)
So what in the world does that have to do with anything?
FWIW-The way I field hunt and shoot I can have the same accuracy as I get from the bench.
That is the whole point:mrgreen:
It is obvious, that you are beyond the need of a revolver system like the FR.
No one ever suggested it was for everyone.

cbrick
10-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Jim, this thread and the concept of the free floated barrel revolver is not about deer hunting from a stand. It is not about deer hunting out to 100 yards. It is not about offhand shooting regardless of the target. It is about long range shooting out to 500 from various field rests. It is an experiment, it is an interesting concept that has not been done before. It is about Ernie shooting the flat lands of NE Wyoming and his desire to see how well he can do with a revolver at those distances. He has done much in long range with specialty pistols such as the XP and now wants the challenge of doing it with a revolver.

Rick

44man
10-28-2014, 10:36 AM
I suppose a $6000 guide will set sticks for you. But I hunt wild deer, not over bait like hogs or bear. No fences. just pass through's to bed. Here and gone. During season they don't stop.

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Now you are getting funny.
Fences?
$6000?
Guides?
Bait is not legal in WY.
Be content with what works for you...

I suppose a $6000 guide will set sticks for you. But I hunt wild deer, not over bait like hogs or bear. No fences. just pass through's to bed. Here and gone. During season they don't stop.

cbrick
10-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Jim, do I have to give up on you? Not a thing in that post has anything to do with the revolver or the shooter discussed in this thread. Your type of hunting and where you hunt is fine, you've been doing it successfully for decades but this is about something completely different. There are other reasons for shooting, experimenting and hunting than the way you do it. All are good but the way you hunt is not the only way.

Rick

44man
10-28-2014, 11:22 AM
If you are that good of an off-hand shooter, then why would need anything more.
Truth is, most are not that proficient under pressure off-hand on running game.
FYI- I don't shoot at running game-Not my skill set.
But I will shoot further on game than many would be comfortable-My skill set
Some of my big game hunting, can be at further distances, than some would have in tight cover.
I am not Quigley with a rifle or handgun, so I am always looking for rest of some kind.
I am primarily a spot-n-stalk hunter, not a stand hunter. Even with whitetail.
If I am stand hunting, I have several ways to make a shot from either unsupported to supported.
With a rest or without. One-handed or two-handed.
I can do all of the above with the FR and still be spot on accuracy wise, even at distance.
In some of the scenario's the "tube" would not come into play, while in others it certainly would.
I hunt with a bow some too...29 yards (not really far though).
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/xphunter_2006/IMG_6762_zps62dc5fa1.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/xphunter_2006/media/IMG_6762_zps62dc5fa1.jpg.html)
So what in the world does that have to do with anything?
FWIW-The way I field hunt and shoot I can have the same accuracy as I get from the bench.
That is the whole point:mrgreen:
It is obvious, that you are beyond the need of a revolver system like the FR.
No one ever suggested it was for everyone.

Nice but you will NOT hit with a .475 with one hand. You will overshoot. Done nicely with a .44. I have taken many deer with the .44 using one hand but NEVER with the .475. That sucker beats me to shoot with one hand. I shot a foot over a buck on the wrong side by using one hand.

44man
10-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Now you are getting funny.
Fences?
$6000?
Guides?
Bait is not legal in WY.
Be content with what works for you...
We can hunt deer over bait in WV but I don't, never turkey or bear though. we can shoot over salt or corn for deer. Too many of them.
A friend mailed me that he needs to buy a lease out west to hunt. Some of you have it tough.
But the question was getting a rest to shoot, I can't.

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Wow. Talk about off topic......and me..me..me stuff

Go drink some more coffee and come back later when your sober.

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 12:00 PM
120424ernies barrel in the works

pkie44
10-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Wow. Talk about off topic......and me..me..me stuff

Go drink some more coffee and come back later when your sober.
Good thing you are not working on a Freedom Arms! :bigsmyl2:

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 12:08 PM
We may end up doing this to a bfr before it's over for the bigger cyl

44man
10-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Jim, do I have to give up on you? Not a thing in that post has anything to do with the revolver or the shooter discussed in this thread. Your type of hunting and where you hunt is fine, you've been doing it successfully for decades but this is about something completely different. There are other reasons for shooting, experimenting and hunting than the way you do it. All are good but the way you hunt is not the only way.

Rick
Don't give up on me my friend. Nothing against shooting better. just it does not fall into deer hunting in my area. Be great in a bean field. Funny you can shoot a bean field, corn field, apple tree but can't put out corn. I cheated like hell in PA when the apple tree I hunted had no apples. I got apples from other trees to put under my tree.. Archery was tough back then. You could shoot trails to salt licks but not at the salt. State put out salt but you had to hunt trails.
Yes, some outfitters grow fields of feed to pull deer with a house on sticks to shoot from, coffee and food while you sit. Much money for a deer. Shoot a "CULL" deer or a dry doe, never in my life seen a "DRY DOE" Cant tell from the stand either. a "cull" deer can be huge next year.
Need to watch more videos to see lies.
You shoot a big doe with no fawns near and you will find milk, don't lie to me. They have milk long after fawns are weaned.

44man
10-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Nothing about your idea, only usage. Is it the answer for hunting or just paper?

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 12:25 PM
If it has benefits on the range it will also have them in the field. And it has already proven itself on the range and some in the field. More to come this season

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 12:36 PM
I am a sheep, but not in the arena of shooting.
I always find it somewhat humorous, when people tell me what I can or can't do:popcorn:
I have been told many times in the past what couldn't be done be done with a SP, both in terms of distance and shooting styles.
If I would have believed them, I would have never tried and succeeded in a number of endeavors.
I don't mind failing in my attempt to learn what works for me--I'm slow that way;)

CONTEXT:
Thread is about a 357 Magnum revolver in a GP-100.
In the future, the Redhawk will have the "Franken" conversion which will take one up to a 44 Mag.
I have never shot a 475. I don't need to shoot a 475 to kill game cleanly.
I have shot 20 or so rounds through a BFR 45-70, and the same for a 500 S&W, goofing around with both.
The biggest revolver I have shot one handed in a similar fashion as the 357 FR was my old FA 454 Casull (Pachy grips) with 300 grainers @ 1775 fps.
Have taken game (whitetail, sheep, antelope and mule deer) out to just past 150 with it and with another 454 FA (hard wood grips) I had on a long-term borrow from a variety of positions from seated to prone with no problems. I hunt in both open and closed terrain.
I never had a problem shooting my FA one-handed.
That being said, it was just a lowly FA 454 with 300's @ 1775 fps.

Let me say this again, your skill level and hunting area is such that you have no need of anything like what I am getting.
I am very happy, that you are very happy with the way you do things and the success you have had in the past.

I will not know for myself what I can do with a 44 Mag or 460 S&W until I actually experiment for myself.
I don't limit myself because of what one person can or can't do.

Currently, I know the various ways the 357 FR can be shot from, not to mention its accuracy, and I am tinkled pink about its diversity.

Nice but you will NOT hit with a .475 with one hand. You will overshoot. Done nicely with a .44. I have taken many deer with the .44 using one hand but NEVER with the .475. That sucker beats me to shoot with one hand. I shot a foot over a buck on the wrong side by using one hand.

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 12:38 PM
For me, both.
If I did happen to shoot off-hand, it doesn't hinder me.

Is it the answer for hunting or just paper?

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Do you realize you are rambling...:veryconfu

Don't give up on me my friend. Nothing against shooting better. just it does not fall into deer hunting in my area. Be great in a bean field. Funny you can shoot a bean field, corn field, apple tree but can't put out corn. I cheated like hell in PA when the apple tree I hunted had no apples. I got apples from other trees to put under my tree.. Archery was tough back then. You could shoot trails to salt licks but not at the salt. State put out salt but you had to hunt trails.
Yes, some outfitters grow fields of feed to pull deer with a house on sticks to shoot from, coffee and food while you sit. Much money for a deer. Shoot a "CULL" deer or a dry doe, never in my life seen a "DRY DOE" Cant tell from the stand either. a "cull" deer can be huge next year.
Need to watch more videos to see lies.
You shoot a big doe with no fawns near and you will find milk, don't lie to me. They have milk long after fawns are weaned.

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 12:47 PM
I hunted in pa on the in laws family land for a couple years....never had to shoot a fast moving target

But anyways.....Ernie's FR is well on it's way. Almost done turning down the barrel blank

44man
10-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Do you realize you are rambling...:veryconfu
Of course I am. But nothing I say is false. Never seen a dry doe, even shot in Jan. Explain a "cull" deer. Would you shoot a spike when it can be a great buck next year?
Do you find a rest with every deer?

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Way off topic

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Is way off topic rambling common for you?

I have only shot one whitetail from the standing off-hand position. 35 yards, with a center-grip XP chambered in 7.82 Patriot shooting a 150 grain NBT at 3001 fps with a 100 yard zero and a Burris 3-12 LER with BP reticle and elevation turret.
DRT:shock:
This the XP. Of course I made a first shot connection at 700 yards in the pic. You can see a larger 1000 yard target further back. Of course I was not hunting deer on this day nor shooting off-hand.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/5326Patriot_XP_1_shot_700.jpg

Of course I am. But nothing I say is false. Never seen a dry doe, even shot in Jan. Explain a "cull" deer. Would you shoot a spike when it can be a great buck next year?

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Do the nurses know your on their computer?

44man
10-28-2014, 01:46 PM
I hunted in pa on the in laws family land for a couple years....never had to shoot a fast moving target

But anyways.....Ernie's FR is well on it's way. Almost done turning down the barrel blank
I have shot many deer running because they were spooked from others or dogs.
I wait to see what Ernie thinks and if it shoots better off hand.
I think you have a good idea for long range BR shooting as I fully believe in a floated barrel.
Yet short guns do not have the vibration or nodes the long barrels have. Pistols can out shoot rifles. yes, the stock I made for my XP100 was floated and would do 1-1/2" at 150 meters but my Wichita 7R and MOA 7 BR has done under 1-1/2" at 200 with open sights. 10" barrels stiff without whip.

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Wow....and didn't you say you shot 2.5" with a revolver at 500 yards.......

44man
10-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Is way off topic rambling common for you?

I have only shot one whitetail from the standing off-hand position. 35 yards, with a center-grip XP chambered in 7.82 Patriot shooting a 150 grain NBT at 3001 fps with a 100 yard zero and a Burris 3-12 LER with BP reticle and elevation turret.
DRT:shock:
This the XP. Of course I made a first shot connection at 700 yards in the pic. You can see a larger 1000 yard target further back. Of course I was not hunting deer on this day nor shooting off-hand.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/5326Patriot_XP_1_shot_700.jpg
Yes. I ramble a lot. But you hitting at 700 without a tube is amazing Good shooting.
You are off topic as much as I am.

44man
10-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Wow....and didn't you say you shot 2.5" with a revolver at 500 yards....... I did say 2-1/2" with the BFR 45-70 from Creedmore. Also clanged steel rams at 500 meters with it. I can not do that with a BPCR.

cbrick
10-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Perhaps no one has mentioned it yet but this thread is not about wet does, dry does, does giving birth or finding Bambi with a rest. Those just aren't the subject at hand.

Perhaps this thread would be good place to throw in study results of Emperor penguins mating habits and compare those results with a free floated revolver barrel.

Rick

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Going to go put my hip boots on and grab a snorkel just in case

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Nice try:shock:
Like answering a question about off-hand shooting on game.....when we are talking about a revolver designed to be rested a number of ways without POI changes.
Hmm......LikeIwasactuallyansweringyouroff-topicquestion.....explaining and showing the XP I used for my only standing off-hand shot on big game.

"tube?"

Yes. I ramble a lot. But you hitting at 700 without a tube is amazing Good shooting.
You are off topic as much as I am.

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Rick wins the prize!:2_high5:

Perhaps no one has mentioned it yet but this thread is not about wet does, dry does, does giving birth or finding Bambi with a rest. Those just aren't the subject at hand.

Perhaps this thread would be good place to throw in study results of Emperor penguins mating habits and compare those results with a free floated revolver barrel.

Rick

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Rick may win the prize but I already have my waders on! I'm safe

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 02:10 PM

And back to the topic

44man
10-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Off hand for me is not easy with my age. Almost 77 now. I wish I had a rest but not to be. Deer do not cooperate at all.

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 02:13 PM
I am really not planning to shoot the FR off-hand. Why would I want to???
So you can only do an 1"-1.5" at 200 yards with a iron-sighted XP, but you can do 2.5" at 500 with a revolver from the creed position?
Seriously??????????????

I wait to see what Ernie thinks and if it shoots better off hand.

Yet short guns do not have the vibration or nodes the long barrels have. Pistols can out shoot rifles. yes, the stock I made for my XP100 was floated and would do 1-1/2" at 150 meters but my Wichita 7R and MOA 7 BR has done under 1-1/2" at 200 with open sights. 10" barrels stiff without whip.

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Get in the boat boys! Here comes the flood! Ahhahhahah

pkie44
10-28-2014, 02:25 PM
:popcorn:

cbrick
10-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Wait a minute Jim, are you trying to say that a free floated revolver barrel will not be an advantage while stand hunting standing on one foot and shooting Bambi at 40 yards one handed?

Rick

44man
10-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Rick is right but what is the tube for? Yes, we go off topic, but hunting is a part so if it helps, good.
Will the tube out shoot Creedmore from a rest. Need to see. Seen Rick post targets at extreme ranges. Have to prove a floated revolver barrel is better.

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 02:37 PM
You're killing me...
The Franken Ruger will do what it will do, people can decide from that what works best.

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Creed more would not outshoot any weapons system from a truly supported position.

Next question

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 02:40 PM
You need to get out of wherever your mind is, and just do some reading...already been explained.

Rick is right but what is the tube for? Yes, we go off topic, but hunting is a part so if it helps, good.
Will the tube out shoot Creedmore from a rest. Need to see. Seen Rick post targets at extreme ranges. Have to prove a floated revolver barrel is better.

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Yup. Read post #1

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 04:06 PM
AGREED!
Better shooting platform (with all else being equal), will always end up with better sustained accuracy.

Creedmore would not out shoot any weapons system from a truly supported position.

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 04:35 PM

Getting closer.

cbrick
10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
What? No picture of the quick draw holster? :veryconfu

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Brian Enos is in the process of making me one of out of titanium. leather, and Kydex.
It will also have altimeter and ballistic software that will wirelessly through Bluetooth give me drop corrections based upon atmospheric changes.
This will work with my Burris Eliminator 3 scope.

What? No picture of the quick draw holster? :veryconfu

Rick

pkie44
10-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Brian Enos is in the process of making me one of out of titanium. leather, and Kydex.
It will also have altimeter and ballistic software that will wirelessly through Bluetooth give me drop corrections based upon atmospheric changes.
This will work with my Burris Eliminator 3 scope.

You will need to mount a compass on it!:bigsmyl2:

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 05:08 PM
You will need to mount a compass on it!:bigsmyl2:
It is an integral part of the Burris E4 series scope:bigsmyl2:

cbrick
10-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Another good use for the shroud, mount the flash light on one side and the GPS on the other. [smilie=s:

Rick

cbrick
10-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Speaking of gadgets, I love gadgets just not stuck on my gun, has anyone seen this? It peaked my interest a few years ago when it would be available in 6 months. Been another 6 months ever since, now they are saying fall of 2014.

http://www.mylabradar.com/

No sky screens, no correct light conditions, no set up. Interesting concept. Haven't yet been able to get a price on it.

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 05:59 PM
That would work.
IF it was actually set up for hunting pigs at night something like a Surefire X300 Ultra or the SureFire X400 Ultra WeaponLight would be pretty awesome. I would want a shorter barrel for that kind of set-up though. I don't pig hunt enough for that to be something I would use.
I do have the Surefire X300 Ultra, should the need ever arise (-;

Another good use for the shroud, mount the flash light on one side and the GPS on the other. [smilie=s:

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Never used one yet.
I have used the V3 MagnetoSpeed when it first came out. Never tried Gen 1 and 2 though.

Speaking of gadgets, I love gadgets just not stuck on my gun, has anyone seen this? It peaked my interest a few years ago when it would be available in 6 months. Been another 6 months ever since, now they are saying fall of 2014.

No sky screens, no correct light conditions, no set up. Interesting concept. Haven't yet been able to get a price on it.

Rick

cbrick
10-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Nobody has used one yet, they aren't out yet. I would sure like to see one in use and get a price on one.

Rick

BCgunworks
10-28-2014, 06:06 PM

All the barrel machine work is done

ErnieBishop
10-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Maybe I will get to use one early on. We will see. If I do , I will let you guys know.

Nobody has used one yet, they aren't out yet. I would sure like to see one in use and get a price on one.

Rick

pkie44
10-28-2014, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=

All the barrel machine work is done[/QUOTE]
Like the Monkey that got his tail caught in the big fan, "won't be long now":bigsmyl2:

BCgunworks
10-29-2014, 01:36 PM

Allot closer.

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 09:09 AM
I spoke with the owner yesterday. Very impressed. There will be one in my future for sure.

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 09:11 AM
FYI - I will have my Franken-Ruger way before I have that new chronograph[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

cbrick
10-30-2014, 09:18 AM
I spoke with the owner yesterday. Very impressed. There will be one in my future for sure.

Did ya happen to get a price on it? I'm as interested in the price as I am in the unit and if it's within reason of the average guy. It is certainly a fascinating concept.

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 09:19 AM
$550 retail, if I remember correctly.

Did ya happen to get a price on it? I'm as interested in the price as I am in the unit and if it's within reason of the average guy. It is certainly a fascinating concept.

Rick

cbrick
10-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Hhmmm . . . That's doable assuming it's as accurate and reliable as the advertising. If I start hearing that it is I think there will be one in my future as well.

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 09:24 AM
I am convinced it will be and it is so fast to set up and use.

cbrick
10-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Yep, no sky screens, no cables , no small window to shoot through, no getting the sun just right. Did I mention no sky screens to shoot? :shock: I've had my Oehler for better than 30 years and have never hit the screens but I had to stop loaning it out because others sure think they are targets.

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 09:37 AM
It's ability to give out the MV's at different yardages out to around 100 yards (depending on bullet size) is cool and extremely accurate when building a drop chart.

cbrick
10-30-2014, 09:39 AM
The web site says (again) it will be available this fall, did the owner confirm this?

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Guesstimate would be 6 weeks from our visit

cbrick
10-30-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking maybe I'll go to the SHOT Show in a few months, not positive on that yet but it will be a good chance to visit with them & check it out.

Rick

pkie44
10-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Yep, no sky screens, no cables , no small window to shoot through, no getting the sun just right. Did I mention no sky screens to shoot? :shock: I've had my Oehler for better than 30 years and have never hit the screens but I had to stop loaning it out because others sure think they are targets.

Rick

I wonder how it will work on a crowded range?

cbrick
10-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Dunno, I'm very interested to see one working. Best I can assume right now is that it is a radar gun, how well do the cops radar guns work on a crowded freeway?

Rick

44man
10-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Dunno, I'm very interested to see one working. Best I can assume right now is that it is a radar gun, how well do the cops radar guns work on a crowded freeway?

Rick
They always catch the wrong car! :bigsmyl2:

cbrick
10-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Well yeah, if they pull me over obviously they got the wrong car. [smilie=1:

Rick

44man
10-30-2014, 11:18 AM
You need to get out of wherever your mind is, and just do some reading...already been explained.
I do understand but since I have been out of long range target shooting for a long time, trying to make a deer appear where needed, I am still up in the air if it would help me. if I still did what you do, I would consider. It comes down to the darn animal and getting me twisted out of shape for a shot. Even on the ground I have been able to use my knees twice in years. Never, ever was able to use Creedmore for deer.
My first early doe this season came in behind me, turned to walk off so I stood slow but she heard something and bolted, did not see me but she stopped at 40 yards to look back, off hand shot at 40 yards dropped her. Would the free float tube help or is it the new barrel with better accuracy?
You have to go a long way to beat a BFR barrel since they are Badger barrels too.
Will added weight from the tube and muzzle break reduce grip variance from less barrel rise?
Why not pit a gun with a tube against one with the same work and new barrel against each other?
More testing needs done.
I am hard headed as you can get.
Talk Creedmore for a second, three points of contact, barrel against the leg, hand against the leg and elbow on the ground. Compare with a floating gun on sticks.

BCgunworks
10-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Really......this again

cbrick
10-30-2014, 11:57 AM
My first early doe this season came in behind me, turned to walk off so I stood slow but she heard something and bolted, did not see me but she stopped at 40 yards to look back, off hand shot at 40 yards dropped her. Would the free float tube help I am hard headed as you can get.

Jim, one more time . . . NO it would not. One more time . . . That has nothing to do with the concept. One more time . . . That is not how this revolver will ever be fired. One more time . . . There are shooting styles/disciplines other than the way you shoot.

I dunno Jim, hard headed or just trying to stir the pot? Either way it's getting pretty old.

Rick

BCgunworks
10-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Bravo.

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Mr. 44,
You have obviously not been paying attention to the thread or as Rick suggested, you just like stirring the pot.
Your repeated posts, have caused me to suspect that you do NOT understand.
When it comes to distance shooting with a revolver (200+ yards), I don't think we have ever shot the same way.

Pretty much any revolver has the accuracy to put a bullet in the vitals @ 40 yards:veryconfu
This is not a BFR thread!!!
It is a FRANKEN-RUGER thread.

If you think this would work for IHMSA that is fine-Awesome!
Creedmore or IHMSA--Has nothing to do with what I am doing here.

Let me just be plain here, so excuse my bluntness and competitive spirit as I lay down this gauntlet.
From prone or from a seated position (stadium seat/back support) with Bog-Gear HD-3 and the PSR top I would easily beat a handgunner using a revolver (Using a BFR for all I care) from the creedmore position shooting 5" & 10" steel targets from multiple distances under time (who gets done first) out to say 350 yards. Further is fine. My FR will be scoped, you can use whatever sight you want.
Unlimited shots allowed, BUT, 5 points per hit, and every miss you lose 3 points, with the first one done hitting each target getting 15 extra points for finishing first.
I have seen guys shoot silhouette, and I am impressed by what they can do.
If I played the IHMSA game, no doubt I would have my hat handed to me.
Practical field shooting is my passion. I would own this match, as would any IHMSA shooter competing my way compared to a fellow silhouette shooting from Creedmore. WHY?
Because the two ways I would use are steadier and faster.
Also with the FR, there is no POI issues and they can use either a rest on the shroud or have a bi-pod connected to it, again with no concern of POI.

I understand that Creedmore is one of the legal positions of IHMSA...I have no problem with that, but the two positions I am referring to are superior/steadier/faster than creedmore.
Again, I am not talking IHMSA here, but rather field shooting and hunting.

More testing needs to be done...HA!

This topic is NOT about what brand is better!
It is about design-The Franken concept gives you a better barrel #1, and #2 gives you a better field rest without POI issues.

A lot of guys won't want this or need this for types of hunting and shooting they do-No problem.

From your posts, I honestly think you do not need a FR.
You hunt in tight country. I hunt in open country a lot of the time, but in dark timber some of the time.
I want flexibility to hunt at both short and LR with the handgun type I am using.
This is a MOA Maximum in the video. Bog Gear with the SSR, seated, no back support.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFafJpKGCMs&index=14&list=FLfEoqqK-q7iARmKwk742NZg

I do understand but since I have been out of long range target shooting for a long time, trying to make a deer appear where needed, I am still up in the air if it would help me. if I still did what you do, I would consider. It comes down to the darn animal and getting me twisted out of shape for a shot. Even on the ground I have been able to use my knees twice in years. Never, ever was able to use Creedmore for deer.
My first early doe this season came in behind me, turned to walk off so I stood slow but she heard something and bolted, did not see me but she stopped at 40 yards to look back, off hand shot at 40 yards dropped her. Would the free float tube help or is it the new barrel with better accuracy?
You have to go a long way to beat a BFR barrel since they are Badger barrels too.
Will added weight from the tube and muzzle break reduce grip variance from less barrel rise?
Why not pit a gun with a tube against one with the same work and new barrel against each other?
More testing needs done.
I am hard headed as you can get.
Talk Creedmore for a second, three points of contact, barrel against the leg, hand against the leg and elbow on the ground. Compare with a floating gun on sticks.

44man
10-30-2014, 01:18 PM
No, not to stir the pot , just trying to figure if it would aid me and if Ernie finds it is great, that will be the bottom line. I fully understand that rest shooting might prove it.
I am going to wait until the new gun is shot.
i know the concept is not for off hand.

BCgunworks
10-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Then stop asking if it's for off hand. Or wet or dry does

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 01:27 PM
I already answered that question.
If you want some weight comparisons:
A 6" factory Ruger GP-100 weighs 2.8 and the 10" FR with a muzzle brake weighs 3.
So yes, you could easily use a FR for off-hand shooting if you so chose to.
People will make up their own minds whether or not this modification will be beneficial to them.
What I like doesn't make it the "bottom line."
There are all kinds of ways to skin the cat:mrgreen:

No, not to stir the pot , just trying to figure if it would aid me and if Ernie finds it is great, that will be the bottom line. I fully understand that rest shooting might prove it.
I am going to wait until the new gun is shot.
i know the concept is not for off hand.

44man
10-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Great shot Ernie. I also have an MOA that I will not part with.
You are correct about my hunting area, no open shots with time. Very thick and shoot when you can. Might be two seconds to break a trigger.
Our deer come off corn way up and pass through to bed so they are moving all the time through the thick.

BCgunworks
10-30-2014, 02:00 PM

The shroud for Ernie's gun. With it bead blaster you can see the angles better. The bottom is a 3/4" radius so it will sit on just about any rest well.

44man
10-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Then stop asking if it's for off hand. Or wet or dry does
Never asked if it was for off hand, knew that it isn't.
But I still want to see someone tell me that can tell a doe is dry before shooting her. Or that a spike will not be better in a few years. I do stray a lot over stupid ideas. The last doe I shot was large and alone but was full of milk so I guess I should call her "dry." She will still have milk when bred again so an excuse to shoot a doe is nothing but stupid. Shoot the darn things and get good meat.
I hate TV shows that a jerk says he shot a dry doe for the excuse he shot her instead of a buck. What do you do with a big buck? You waste stinky meat is what. I kill a lot of doe into Jan and know how many were "dry?" None, not ever.
The stigma and lies for shooting a doe bothers me.
I will stray again about shows where they can't find a big buck so they go the next day after heat and animals have had at it. All they want is antlers and the meat is spoiled.
I loved Ernie shooting a lope doe. Good man.

44man
10-30-2014, 02:29 PM

The shroud for Ernie's gun. With it bead blaster you can see the angles better. The bottom is a 3/4" radius so it will sit on just about any rest well.
What I see is you know what you are doing. Good smith and machinist. I hope you are not angry with me. But tell me you only shoot a dry doe, I will beat you with a stick. :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

BCgunworks
10-30-2014, 02:42 PM
I'll shoot a fawn in a min

cbrick
10-30-2014, 02:45 PM

:shock: Is it wet?

BCgunworks
10-30-2014, 02:46 PM

Behind the ears I hope. That way it's tender.

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 02:47 PM
If you gut it, you could say some of that stuff is wet...

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Coming along very nicely:drinks:

44man
10-30-2014, 03:35 PM
I am with you, best ever, even a button buck. wife gets down on me when she says I shot dog but no complaints at the table.

44man
10-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Behind the ears I hope. That way it's tender.
When it rains guys!

BCgunworks
10-30-2014, 04:21 PM

Ernie's single action pull

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 04:42 PM
YES! :guntootsmiley::happy dance:

Ernie's single action pull

cbrick
10-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Come on Ernie, how do ya really feel? [smilie=1:

What are triggers set for on your specialty pistols?

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-30-2014, 04:47 PM
From 2 ounces to around 1.5-2.0 pounds.
Very pleased with this though for a revolver.
The 2 prototype's I shot were heavier than this and I did just fine with them.

Come on Ernie, how do ya really feel? [smilie=1:

What are triggers set for on your specialty pistols?

Rick

dubber123
10-30-2014, 07:33 PM
From 2 ounces to around 1.5-2.0 pounds.
Very pleased with this though for a revolver.
The 2 prototype's I shot were heavier than this and I did just fine with them.

I've been shooting a F/A .357 thats tuned to just over a pound, and a Ruger Single Six in .32 Mag that I tuned to 1.5 pounds, and the lighter triggers really make group shooting a lot easier.

A pull in the ounces would probably be helpful for your intended goal.

BCgunworks
10-30-2014, 07:45 PM
It's harder to get sub 1.5lbs on a double/single action.

cbrick
10-30-2014, 09:42 PM
I've been shooting a F/A .357 thats tuned to just over a pound, and a Ruger Single Six in .32 Mag that I tuned to 1.5 pounds, and the lighter triggers really make group shooting a lot easier.

A pull in the ounces would probably be helpful for your intended goal.

Uh-oh, FA will void the warranty on altered guns. That I'm aware of there is only one smith that FA allows to do trigger work like that without voiding the warranty. That smith happens to be friends with the owner of FA. Happy to report that smith happens to be my smith. :mrgreen:

My FA match revolver triggers are 9 ounces, my XP's etc run 5 ounces. I like a slightly harder trigger on revolver because of the difference in grip. Don't like the XP's much lighter than that because it gets to easy to let one go when your still getting the sight picture, not really ready yet.

Because of the trigger my match revolvers never go hunting. Because of the triggers my field/hunting revolvers never go to a match.

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-31-2014, 07:22 AM
My match triggers do go hunting. I also use them to compete in LR roving tactical matches with my specialty pistols with sub half pound triggers.
Love Dell triggers on my center-grip XP's. Hands down favorite. Like them way more than the Dewey.

BCgunworks
10-31-2014, 07:31 AM
Since this will also be a gun others may shoot we don't want it scary light or pushing off

Tatume
10-31-2014, 07:35 AM
Since this will also be a gun others may shoot we don't want it scary light or pushing off

It shouldn't push off under any circumstances.

ErnieBishop
10-31-2014, 07:36 AM
Agreed.

BCgunworks
10-31-2014, 07:37 AM
It shouldn't push off under any circumstances.

I know this.....it is what I do for a living

cbrick
10-31-2014, 10:19 AM
Love Dell triggers on my center-grip XP's. Hands down favorite. Like them way more than the Dewey.

Not familiar with Dell, my center grip XP in 308 has a Dewey trigger. In fact Dewey re-barreled it with the Shilen it now wears.

I gotta brag a little. Yesterday I became a great grandpa. Kinda mind boggling actually, my daughter is a grand mother?

Rick

ErnieBishop
10-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Congratulations!
I used to have a Dewey as well.
Now I have a handful of the Dell triggers.
They are like the jewel triggers for the XP-100 center grip.

Not familiar with Dell, my center grip XP in 308 has a Dewey trigger.

I gotta brag a little. Yesterday I became a great grandpa. Kinda mind boggling actually, my daughter is a grand mother?

Rick

cbrick
10-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Not had any complaints with the Dewey, zero creep, smooth as glass and I can set it lighter than I want to go. I'm familiar with Jewell triggers though I've not had one. A lot of guys do & I've never heard a single complaint with them.

I feel old today and I don't even have a rocking chair. Maybe I should go get one.

Rick

BCgunworks
10-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Hahaha

BCgunworks
10-31-2014, 03:38 PM

All that's left is the scope mount.

cbrick
10-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Sweet. Trigger time for Ernie very soon. :mrgreen: Ya are gonna "test fire it" aren't ya? Be a shame to spend all that time building it and not shoot it. 3 or 4 boxes should do it. [smilie=1:

Rick

BCgunworks
10-31-2014, 04:10 PM
I'll be test firing it. Waiting on the scope mount.
I'm under the weather so I'll be shooting it just at 50 yards where I have cover. Don't need to get any sicker.

dubber123
10-31-2014, 08:24 PM
Uh-oh, FA will void the warranty on altered guns.
Rick

I'm not too concerned with their warranty anyways. It's not like there is a whole lot in there that is likely to break anyways. I'm certainly not going to suffer along with one of their "factory trigger jobs".. :)

cbrick
10-31-2014, 08:36 PM
FA made their triggers lawyer proof after a lawsuit where a moron with a loaded 454 was practicing quick draw and blew a rather inconvenient large nasty hole his own leg. He did the only logical thing and sued FA. Triggers have been tough out of the factory ever since.

I don't think I could stand straight faced in front of a judge and explain that since I am an idiot this company should make me rich. Kinda like the moronic woman that took a Rem 700 out of a horse trailer, pointed the muzzle at the trailer and pulled the trigger. Bullet went through the trailer and out the other side and killed her own son. She sued Remington and won.

Oh well, it is what it is. Idiots should be made rich I guess. I'd like to be on one of those jury's.

Rick

44man
11-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Ever watch the ambulance chasers on TV? If you took this drug and died, call this number! [smilie=p:

ErnieBishop
11-01-2014, 11:34 AM
4 pounds of H110 was delivered yesterday and I took my Leupold/Burris Signature ZEE rings off of my 284 Winchester XP-100, so now just waiting on my FR which should be here late next week:happy dance:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/xphunter_2006/b9092ed7-de94-4687-9c00-e14bfacb6279_zps218e9dbd.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/xphunter_2006/media/b9092ed7-de94-4687-9c00-e14bfacb6279_zps218e9dbd.jpg.html)

cbrick
11-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Eagerly awaiting range reports. :mrgreen: No, wind, cold, rain are not excuses shoot the dern thing. Curious minds gotta know.

Rick

BCgunworks
11-01-2014, 01:06 PM
I'll shoot it next week

ErnieBishop
11-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Will be getting it up and rolling asap.

Eagerly awaiting range reports. :mrgreen: No, wind, cold, rain are not excuses shoot the dern thing. Curious minds gotta know.

Rick

ErnieBishop
11-01-2014, 04:19 PM
With the above ring/scope set-up I will put 20 MOA into the rings, which will give my a tad over 75 MOA internally with the turrets.
Add to that, add 30 MOA with the ART reticle, and that give me a total of just a tad over 100 MOA.
If I turn down the magnification to around 9x (Reticle is in the SFP), I can get a lot more than 30 MOA from the reticle http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/emotes/biggrin.gif
Guessing 102 MOA to 800 yards, and 145 MOA to 1K[smilie=w:

4 pounds of H110 was delivered yesterday and I took my Leupold/Burris Signature ZEE rings off of my 284 Winchester XP-100, so now just waiting on my FR which should be here late next week:happy dance:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/xphunter_2006/b9092ed7-de94-4687-9c00-e14bfacb6279_zps218e9dbd.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/xphunter_2006/media/b9092ed7-de94-4687-9c00-e14bfacb6279_zps218e9dbd.jpg.html)

cbrick
11-02-2014, 10:56 AM
All that's left is the scope mount.

What scope mount are you using? I tried sighting in my New Model Blackhawk for deer season a few days ago and can't see the sights, thinking I'll put one of my red dots on it.

Rick

BCgunworks
11-02-2014, 10:57 AM

cbrick
11-02-2014, 11:01 AM
:veryconfu Try to be a little quicker next time will ya. :mrgreen: What mount is that? I just looked at Brownell's searching for "New Model Blackhawk scope base" and got 10 pages of springs, screws & everything but.

Rick

BCgunworks
11-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Weigand.

cbrick
11-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Just searched Brownell's for "Weigand scope base for Ruger New Model Blackhawk" and got the following.

You have searched for "Weigand scope base for ruger new model blackhawk", we could not find products that match your request,
Did you mean any of the below keywords? "weighed"

BCgunworks
11-02-2014, 11:12 AM
The gp100 one fits the gp, redhawk, blackhawk

BCgunworks
11-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Brownells has them

cbrick
11-02-2014, 11:16 AM
I'll keep looking. How many holes to drill & tap for that mount? Hate to do that to this revolver but I also hate not shooting it. :cry:

Rick

BCgunworks
11-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Just 2

cbrick
11-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Silly me, guess I should have known. I changed the Brownell's search to: Weigand scope base for ruger GP100.

Found the base for the GP, Blackhawk/Redhawk, 77/22. They even a "tactical" base? :veryconfu Tactical? Oh well, no doubt that will help sell them.

Anyway, thanks. I'll be ordering one. How many holes do I need to drill for that mount?

Rick

cbrick
11-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Oops, you posted while I was typing.

Tatume
11-02-2014, 01:14 PM
I have the Weigand base for the S&W K,L,N,X frame revolvers and for the Dan Wesson. Both are excellent. When I had a question about the hole spacing for the Dan Wesson I sent an email and got a reply from Jack himself.

Tom,

Our mount is a shroud mount. The holes are drilled and tapped in the shroud. The factory has done it this way in the past and we use the factory hole pattern. I hope this clears things up a little. There are no holes drilled in the frame, there is just a nylon tipped set screw in the mount that is snugged up against the frame to dampen any viberations.

Jack Weigand

Weigand C.H. Inc
www jackweigand.com

ErnieBishop
11-02-2014, 02:26 PM
That is good.

I have the Weigand base for the S&W K,L,N,X frame revolvers and for the Dan Wesson. Both are excellent. When I had a question about the hole spacing for the Dan Wesson I sent an email and got a reply from Jack himself.

BCgunworks
11-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Their good bases. Well made

BCgunworks
11-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Well Ernie's franken ruger shoots good....the rest is up to him.

cbrick
11-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Well Ernie's franken ruger shoots good....the rest is up to him.

Didn't happen without pictures. :mrgreen: Where's the groups? At what distance?

Rick

BCgunworks
11-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Leave all the reporting for Ernie.

ErnieBishop
11-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Suffice to say, the accuracy is good enough for Chris to send me the GP-100 with the known distance goals for it:-P

Didn't happen without pictures. :mrgreen: Where's the groups? At what distance?

Rick

BCgunworks
11-19-2014, 05:42 PM
122274working on the perfect companion to a Franken Ruger!

The packing Ruger!

dtknowles
11-19-2014, 07:57 PM
You might consider becoming a vendor sponsor

Tim

Tatume
12-12-2014, 01:12 PM
This morning I met Chris at Bayside Custom Gunworks. He's a very nice fellow and he showed me some examples of high quality custom revolvers. He's doing a couple of small jobs for me, and I'll look forward to sharing the results of what I expect to by very good craftsmanship when I get my guns back.

Take care, Tom

dtknowles
01-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Still waiting on a range report.

Tim

ErnieBishop
01-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Weather has knock me out of shooting for a while

cbrick
01-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Still waiting on a range report. Tim

hehe . . . Me thinks folks on the Gulf coast don't have a good grasp of January on the Great Plains. :veryconfu Would take more than a new gun to get me out there. That's assuming of course ya could even find the range.

Rick

dtknowles
01-16-2015, 08:46 PM
hehe . . . Me thinks folks on the Gulf coast don't have a good grasp of January on the Great Plains. :veryconfu Would take more than a new gun to get me out there. That's assuming of course ya could even find the range.

Rick

When I was growing up in Maine, in the winter we would put the targets out in the potato field and shoot thru and open window.

Tim

ErnieBishop
01-19-2015, 06:26 PM
I shot some in an indoor range on Saturday afternoon/evening, but there was definitely some distance limitations with it.
I am not going to add cold weather to this challenge.

dtknowles
01-19-2015, 07:10 PM
I shot some in an indoor range on Saturday afternoon/evening, but there was definitely some distance limitations with it.
I am not going to add cold weather to this challenge.

I understand, well, I guess we will hear more next spring, when it that up there?

Tim

cbrick
01-19-2015, 07:13 PM
The first and second week of August I think. :holysheep

Rick

ErnieBishop
01-19-2015, 07:18 PM
If an open schedule and decent weather aligns we will start playing.
Really depends on the year as far as weather.
Our weather was fairly decent this past weekend (mid 40's), but I was a solid 6 hour drive away from home teaching on Nehemiah at a Men's Leadership Day in eastern SD. Cool part was that the host church rented an indoor range at the end of the day for any guys that wanted to shoot.

Plastikosmd
03-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Any target pics yet?

bluelund79
03-22-2015, 09:57 PM
One word describes that Ruger to me......Awesome! Bet that is going to be one heck of hunting pistol over the years

BCgunworks
03-30-2015, 09:29 PM
Ernie is still sandbagging.....someday he will hit the range.

In the mean time we have added the redhawk to the line!
135529https://vimeo.com/123690668

BCgunworks
04-06-2015, 11:47 PM
Since ernie is sandbagging I did some shooting to 300 yards today!
here is the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFs2TkIkTeE

ErnieBishop
04-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Superb!!!

BCgunworks
04-11-2015, 07:15 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/11/e3981525916c09e847bb98ba31813012.jpg

Shot at 350 today. First three were 1.128" then I blew the last two. 3.9" total.

pkie44
04-11-2015, 07:17 PM
That's some fine shooting! What was the ammo?

BCgunworks
04-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Same as the video a couple posts above.
125 xtp over h110.
Trimmed brass and partially sized.

BCgunworks
04-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Since ernie is sandbagging I did some shooting to 300 yards today!
here is the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFs2TkIkTeE

Same load as this video