Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: My Mil-Surps

My Mil-Surps

I got bored here and thought I'd post my Mil-Surps. Most are not much but here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rsz_002.jpg  
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Thats a helluva good start. Not many collections have a Johnson Automatic.

Boolit Master
    Indeed, the Johnson is pretty unique.

The Johnson is a collection in itself!!

Boolit Master

What, no Enfields?
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    A nice looking accumulation of old soldiers! I gather the Johnson has been 'sporterized' with the new front sight. Still, it looks good.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Nice collection!
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Glad yall like the Johnson. I call it the Holy Grail. The front sight was on it when I got it. But pretty much everything else is original. I've not shot it much. Just shot M2 loads in it so far. I'm gonna try my Garand loads in it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerd View Post
    What, no Enfields?
    Sorry, I've just not got into'em yet. Now my brother in law he's got 3.

Boolit Master
    Dad had one SN 901 He sold it with an FN 1949 and 7mm Mauser and a 1941 Tokaroth (Russian)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    Glad yall like the Johnson. I call it the Holy Grail. The front sight was on it when I got it. But pretty much everything else is original. I've not shot it much. Just shot M2 loads in it so far. I'm gonna try my Garand loads in it some time.
    Thats one of the advantages of the Recoil operated Johnson rifles, they easily digest ammo that would bend the op rod of a Garand. No problems with burning rates and pressure curves, just so long as theres sufficient recoil the action will cycle.

No gas port, cylinders, and pistons to keep clean either.

Boolit Master

You need to find a US M1917 Enfield
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    You need to find a US M1917 Enfield
    I don't have one but, a friend of mine's got one but the reciever has been scrubbed. Thats kinda sad.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll swap you a very nice M1917 for the Johnson.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Scrubbed receivers are okay, depending on what you are going to do with the rifle. On this one, I leveled the front ring, and engraved it. Gives a nice work surface.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by SierraWhiskeyMC View Post
    I'll swap you a very nice M1917 for the Johnson.
    Sorry, I gotta pass. I can't blame ya though.
    Last edited by roverboy; 08-31-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Boolit Master

What is a "scrubbed" receiver?
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Scrubbed means that the reciever stamp has been filed or ground away.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    The front sight looks like the one mine came with. It was what Winfield Arms used when they re-sold the Johnsons in the 60s that they bought from the Dutch.

There is a gentleman in TX who makes the correct style front sight for these (and the bayonet lug, and a lot of other parts). I had him replace my sight, add the bayonet lug, and re-park the barrel.
    In addition to returning it to it's military glory, I find it easier to shoot with the correct front sight. I didn't do well with the sporter type's round bead in peep sights (centering a round bead in a round hole is easy but locating that bead under a bullseye is a problem for me). The flat topped sight is much easier for me to use.

My stock was non-original too. I can't tell about yours from the pic. Mine had a recoil pad, which is pretty obviously wrong, but aside from that, it was lacking the cross screws that help locate the recoil spring tube and hold it in place.
    The same guy who did the sight replaced the stock on mine. Stock replacement is more involved than it first appears because that recoil tube has to be located properly. Since he did it for nothing after buying the parts, I gladly let him do it.

If you are interested in getting a military front sight, bayonet lug, etc, I can give you that gentleman's contact info. It only took him about two weeks to change and re-park it.
    I was hesitant to spend the extra money restoring it after buying the rifle because I felt pretty good just for doing that, but I am extremely glad I did now.

I was just shooting cast in mine today in fact, and have been thinking about posting a report on cast in the Johnson after I try a few more loads. It does have a wider tolerance for ammo that will function it than the Garand, no question. I was using the Saeco 301 today, which makes for a loooong cartridge, but it still works through the magazine.

Something you might keep in mind if and when you try cast in it: What feeds and functions with five rounds in the magazine might not work with ten in the magazine. There isn't that much more spring pressure when loaded, but it causes enough added drag to slow the bolt just enough to matter.

I may try to restore it. I'd like to someday. I got a good deal on it.