RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cali Folks Anyone live between Truckie and Yuba City

Vendor Sponsor
    Duke,

+1 with Harter66 on Smith Valley NV. It is a gorgeous place. I lived there 17 years and left for employment and have been basically unemployed eversince. Lots of horse opportunity. Lots of 10 acre plus homes and with the recent downturn in the market they are at bargain basement prices. CA and lots of timbered mountain country is only 10 miles away as the crow flies and Reno is 75 miles north. Reno may be another gambling town but it has much more than just gambling to offer. Lake Tahoe and some of the nicest beaches and best snow skiing anywhere is only an hour from Smith Valley.

Get out a map and go south on 395 from Reno till you get to Hwy 208 near Topaz Lake (south of Gardnerville/Minden another good choice). Follow 208 to Wellington, NV. You are now in Smith Valley.

ammohead

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    Duke,

+1 with Harter66 on Smith Valley NV. It is a gorgeous place. I lived there 17 years and left for employment and have been basically unemployed eversince. Lots of horse opportunity. Lots of 10 acre plus homes and with the recent downturn in the market they are at bargain basement prices. CA and lots of timbered mountain country is only 10 miles away as the crow flies and Reno is 75 miles north. Reno may be another gambling town but it has much more than just gambling to offer. Lake Tahoe and some of the nicest beaches and best snow skiing anywhere is only an hour from Smith Valley.

Get out a map and go south on 395 from Reno till you get to Hwy 208 near Topaz Lake (south of Gardnerville/Minden another good choice). Follow 208 to Wellington, NV. You are now in Smith Valley.

ammohead
    Thanks for the reply Ammo head. I just want to get out of Nevada.

Boolit Master

Too wild for Utah?

You have much to learn about that particular state my friend.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    Too wild for Utah?

You have much to learn about that particular state my friend.

Boolit Master
    Duke, maybe you and Barbie ought to stay in Montana year round and open you a saloon/ dancehall in the winter.

I'm in the midwest and went to see that movie "2012". At the scene where Cali slid off into the ocean, everyone there cheered.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    I looked to be in Montana From May until Jan 1st. I just don't have to deal with that last 4 months of winter and the hunting seasons are over.
    Thanks for you reply all.
    This is really getting kind of funny, In "tropical" Missoula we had snow every month of the year at least 3 of the 20 years I spent there. Winter East of the Divide starts in Nov and it's usually early Nov.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    This is really getting kind of funny, In "tropical" Missoula we had snow every month of the year at least 3 of the 20 years I spent there. Winter East of the Divide starts in Nov and it's usually early Nov.
    Yea that is kinda of funny seeing where were looking in Montana was 100 degrees everyday for the last two weeks of August.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Weather guy just said a possibility of snow in the high country this coming weekend. Gonna be a long one. Stack wood now.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    The gun laws are a bit much but quite liveable. The restrictions on handgun ammo have been in Los Angeles for years but since i reload so what. The ar and m1a can both be set up easily to comply with the law so you can keep your flash hider, but magasine capacity is 10. Compared to other countries we still have it good. We do have strict laws but liveable. I dont have to shovel snow or fight sand storms or tornados but we do have earthquakes. Like 9.3 says another gun owner is always welcome.
    jim

One thing no-one has mentioned, and I could well be wrong. You could have difficuly bringing your weapons into calif. -- You may have to "register" them with calif DOJ -- It could be a very costly proposition. I could be wrong about this but it is something to investigate.

For quite a few years I wanted to relocate to the Yreka area, about as far north in calif before you become an oregonian -- Too late now, will have to go to texas near my son. You need to be near family to see you get put into the right nursing home -- Tough to get old --

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Weather guy just said a possibility of snow in the high country this coming weekend. Gonna be a long one. Stack wood now.
    Bzzzzt!!! lol ..... again wrong part of Montana
    Wunderground weather says 85 degrees on Saturday where I'm looking in Montana. Looks like shorts and t-shirt weather to me.
    http://www.wunderground.com/
    Last edited by Just Duke; 08-11-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Way off topic here.
    Lets get back to California please.

The wife and I are looking for two place to reside. Montana and looks like North Eastern Cali in the mountains there.
    Can anyone chime in that lives or had lived there? Just east of Grass Valley California. We founds quite a few 10 acre homes with horse property there that backs up to the mountains.We are both board stiff with Vegas as we are not gamblers, drinkers or conisuers of controlled substances.
    TIA,
    Duke and Buffalo Barbie

How bad are the gun laws there? My Brother told me that the Government says the states can't make up there own gun laws. So did this ever apply? I'm stocking up on M14's anyway just in case.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 08-11-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    What state do you hale from sir?

Duke I live in Maryland. I wouldn't even suggest a days stay here! You guys were talking about weather where you were, I haven't cut grass since mid May! It's been over 100 on my deck everyday for the last 3 months with high humidity, just drains everything out of one. Tax's are high, fuel is high, food is through the roof, wait a minute I can shorten this, everything in Maryland is high, no lie.

State and local government is run Al Capone descendent's, we're sure of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Duke I live in Maryland. I wouldn't even suggest a days stay here! You guys were talking about weather where you were, I haven't cut grass since mid May! It's been over 100 on my deck everyday for the last 3 months with high humidity, just drains everything out of one. Tax's are high, fuel is high, food is through the roof, wait a minute I can shorten this, everything in Maryland is high, no lie.

State and local government is run Al Capone descendent's, we're sure of that!
    Maryland is a real prtty place though.

I was looking at building in the said area and my realestate agent just called and she said someone she knows had got a permit for an addition. It cost $7000.00 for the permit! HOLY SMOKES!!!
    She also said there was a school tax on building. What? I have never had children and they want me to pay tax so someone's evil spawn can go to school on my dime? Don't think so.
    So anyway she also said expect to pay $20,000 for a building permit. JEZZUS!!!!
    So I called the building dept. there that fleeces the peasants of their wheat.
    Guess what.......... I got and answering service and they will call me back later...............OMG!
    Last edited by Just Duke; 08-18-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Duke,
    If you can live with California's onerous gun laws (60+ pages long in the BATF's latest states' gun laws cd), an extremely upside-down socio/economic climate, are willing to pay more in taxes each year, don't mind having your life dictated to by big-city, elitest, ultra-liberals, and are willing to lose more freedoms each year, I welcome you.

That said, there are an abundance of social opportunities (from opera to rodeos) and areas for your fast boat (just don't have a two-cycle outboard attached to it).

On the economic side of things, here are two reference sites that may interest you:
    http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/335.html
    http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwi...coll_start.asp

I don't mean to sound negative, but as a California native, with plans to leave as soon as possible, it's rather difficult to fathom why someone would want to move here. If you disregard the hourly influx of illegals and their huge spawn, California's population has been getting smaller each year for the past decade...maybe longer. That, in itself, says much.

To reiterate, if you do decide to make California you new home, I do welcome you and wish you the best.

Boolit Man
    Sure have! Let me also add Concho and Snow-Flake (my buddy married into the Flake family)
    ..............................unarmed..

My inlaws live in Prescott and have about 200 acres around concho. I'd try to dissuade you from buying in CA. everything everyone else has said rings true. Your money will go much further elsewhere.

ML

Quote Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
    My inlaws live in Prescott and have about 200 acres around concho. I'd try to dissuade you from buying in CA. everything everyone else has said rings true. Your money will go much further elsewhere.

ML
    Yes but that won't take care of my social life. That Northern Cali area has just to start off with 10 venues I need not want to attend.
    Worst case senario, I'll leave all my guns in Montana and re-arm with sling shots.
    I love AZ. I refer to it as my home state. But I need more edification in life set aside my interests in horses and guns.
    A gun for me is just a tool......................

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

timing

fwiw, We(me,sis and cousins)sold out the last of the families prop.in so.Nevada county just short of 4 years ago..4.9xacres,just under a half million greenspans..friends in the area tell us it wouldn't bring 250 K today,and NO ONE to finance purchase...was purchased by adjacent prop.owner (budding land baron) .If you want realtor to look into it,PM... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Quote Originally Posted by onceabull View Post
    fwiw, We(me,sis and cousins)sold out the last of the families prop.in so.Nevada county just short of 4 years ago..4.9xacres,just under a half million greenspans..friends in the area tell us it wouldn't bring 250 K today,and NO ONE to finance purchase...was purchased by adjacent prop.owner (budding land baron) .If you want realtor to look into it,PM... Onceabull
    I pay cash for everything.
    PM sent with phone number.