Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RELOADING .223 EN MASS (Video Tutorial)

RELOADING .223 (Removed)

Someone told me to take a look at the debacle this thread has become. I was hesitant (because I said I would not), but did so.

This is definitely not what I intended a new reloader to see when he opened this thread. (My heart went south).

The vids were always free. Everyone here watched them for free. No one has taken a cent out of their pocket.

If you want them in DVD format to watch on TV, and wish to contribute to a worthy website - then those are for sale. But the vids are free on YouTube. (I only purchased and burned 10 DVD's, just in case. I never expected to make money off of something that is posted on YouTube for free.).

There is massive information on this site, and super talented folks who know way more than I ever espoused to know. So maybe someone will step-up and help your fellow shooters out in your own way.

Thanks for helping me to learn how to cast sabot slugs. This is what initially brought me to this website. I still linger here every once in a while...but I am now more cautious.

Funny how my signature (my faith) became an issue. If a joke was accidentally placed here, then why was it not deleted? (Cuz I received it in PM...but without the "Ha" for reader response).

Oh...and don't get me started on the folks who passed the correspondence course on "mind reading" and knew ..."What I wanted". Ha ha ha

Do a search, as they are still available FOR FREE on YouTube.

Thanks, and sorry.

In Christ: Raymond

PS: JMorris, that is a super nice brass sorter! I bet you could use an old bench press for a quick frame in a pinch.

I watched a couple of them... Looks good so far...
    Always hated lubing... Going to have to give your method a try... you make it look easy..
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

removed

Boolit Master
    ok ray , you asked for it...here it comes( we are such great friends after all)
    2 of 13 is a waste of everyones time.

the shell sorter is a great product
    the fourth part is a 380 plate that fits in any of the other three pcs.

your vid is mass loading of 223, so why start by wasting time with 45acp brass in the mix ???
    stay on subject....no sorter for 223 en mass loading.

and since i use these for a living......do not stack them in use. simple place the yellow( largest gap/45gap/45acp and up brass) on a 5-7 gallon bucket, add aprox 2 handfuls of mixed brass, grap the top of the sorter/bucket and rotate off axsis, tilt the bucket and rotatea round a vertical ...much quicker and quieter than shake and bake...and you are not holding up the weight of the brass.
    when the brass in this lot is done falling, pour the top in a 5gal buclet and the bottom in another...and start again.
    you have to hand sort the results of each stage
    in my opinion kinda silly to use this to sort such different brass as 223 and 45.......
    dump number 2 from the series.....nothing to do with en mass reloading of 223

stick with the title.....
    ( if you are gonna sell something put it in the for sale forum..not here)

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    3 of 13

ok first things first...since this is a tutorial.....if should be filled with facts on the modern ways of reloading.
    your comment on lubing pistol brass when sized in a carbide die fails twice. one: it has nothing to do with en mass 223 loading, two: it is a stupid waste of time and materials. the entire reason for carbide pistol dies is to get away from the lube process( lube on and lube off).

second the carbide rifle carbide dies are for the body of the brass, not the neck. you need to ensure the neck gets lubed, and i dont see that in your hands on process. imperial sizing wax is not cheap and in your process you use a lot( dont believe me, go watch br shooters size cases). get an inexpensive pump spray lube, 200-300 case in a 1 gal zip lock bag.. two to three pumps of spray.shake and toss for a min and dump and and do again till all are done.....cheaper quicker.( all the lube is on the case, not your hands...and the necks get done)

your one gallon zip lock bag holds about 5-600 pcs of 223........esp as low as the level was in the vid probably 500.

mike in co

Boolit Master
    4/13 brass sizing prep.

no big issues with this setup.....
    a couple of sugestions.
    you can skip the floating sizer by using a lee universal deprime die in station one. ( taper the shaft of the pin...so it feeds in to the case mouth). put the sizer in sta 2 without the deprime rod.
    in sta 4 put another sizer...a neck only setup...this will remove the burr form the outside of the brass after trim to length, and leave the lyman m die in sta 5 for inside deburr/expand.

some people will yell haresy...not loading in the five stages...i do close to the same, i prep brass and then load.

mike in co

Boolit Master
    5/13 no issue with you actual brass prep in work .

i do have a question, at the rate you were going , is case length consistant ? have you measured a hundred or so when you have been going this fast ?

(i noticed you said no burr on the case neck , but i saw nothing that removed the outside neck burr......see step four set up)

mike in co

Boolit Master
    6/13 tumbling prepped brass

first:
    STAY ON SUBJECT...
    why are you talking about pistol brass in a 223 en mass tuttorial ?? (if you did not lube the pistol brass to begin with you would not be taking the lube off..just go shoot the pistol ammo...more wated time and material).

second:.....if you are going to make statements that walnut is "better" than corn cob...furnish some facts.
    they dont exisit.
    every commercial reloader i know uses CORNCOB...not one uses walnut. some use a wet wash, but none use walnut.
    if there was a better cheaper quicker way we would use it. we use corncob because it works.
    get ground corncob as blasting media in 14/20 size and all is good.
    if you are comparing bedding from a pet store as corn cob you are just wasting everyones time...typically way too big for the job.
    use the right tool for the job....14/20 ground corn cob
    third: get an inline timer for your vibrator. save the power bill, save the motor .....and when it stops, you know you can move on to the next step...not forgetting when you started it, or leaving it on forever.

mike in co

Boolit Master
    7/13

get the second container/base from dillon and put it on top when cranking the seperator.
    you won't have to do it outside, and you will not loose media( no loss in your case it was walnut media...lol)

mike in co

Boolit Master
    8/13
    krap i just posted a long section on cutting vs swaging......and the system dumped the post....i'll do it over but is 4 am and time for bed

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
    Glad I could be of help.

In Christ: Raymond

Thanks Ray, very informative and will help many new reloaders out. Maybe some of the old timers will pick something up also.
    However I do use corn cob from Graingers Ind. Supply, in 20/40 grit with super results, buts thats no huge issue.

Banned

for 223 tumbling i have to agree that walnut works better. Corn cob has a tendency to plug in a case with a small neck but then the pet store corncob is a bit corse like you said but its so much cheaper then what ive found thats fine that i just use corncob for pistol and walnut for rifle. I have a question though. Why would you want to lock your tool head down so it doesnt float and then float your dies? Seems like your defeating what the idea of locking down your tool head was. I also like controling the bullet with my fingers until it starts into the die to insure the bullet is started straight into the case. Also not to be picky but if my ars only shot 5 inch at 200 yards id be looking for a differnt load. You should be shooting groups at least half that size. Ive got a few differnt ars and all of them will do at least 3 inch at 200 with ball bullets and half that with a quality soft point. Mike i dont use dillon 223 dies but my understanding is the carbide .223 sizer isnt a carbide body die. Its the expander thats carbide and the convience in them is you dont have to lube the inside of the neck and the carbide expander comes through the neck much eaiser and allows smoother press operation with a progressive. Great job on the video though. It will save alot of guys a bunch of time figuring out a few of the time saving tips it took some of us years to learn.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 06-22-2010 at 08:26 AM.

removed

Mike sure made a hit to this fairly new poster!

Thanks alot!!

Banned

Ray i agree that comparing tumbling media is about like comparing what brand of underware is better. dont get upset because someone bashes your post. theres allways someone on these things that disagree with you. I get bashed all the time and just dont let it bother me. Mostly it comes from the fact that guys on here including myself have been at this for decades and have our little ways just as you have found yours. Some are willing to still learn and some arent. I watched all of your videos and found that alothough you do some things a bit differnt then i do there wasnt anything in any of them that i could really consider bad advice and alot that will help a new reloader starting with a progressive press. Dont run and hide because of one guys disagreement with you. If i did that i would have been gone over 10 years ago. Stick around and youll find theres a pretty good bunch of knowelgable guys here. Maybe a few not so personalbe or a couple including myself that have a bad day once in a while and put there foot in there mouth but were all human.

EN MASS I prefer a little faster method to reloading I do the same prep with two size dies #1 & #5 on the 650 but a 1050 with the swage and add a bullet feeder you leave a 650 in the dust.

The shell sorters are ok for sorting a little bit of brass but EN MASS I prefer a little faster method.

Dayum JM!
    Now, that is a brass sorter.

Boolit Master

I think Mike did exactly what you were wanting. He critiqued your video as requested. I would assume that Mike does this stuff to a much larger/commercial level than those of us at home do and with that experience comes added knowledge. Instead of kicking the sand, taking your marbles and going home simply ingest what he has to say and move forward. I also would not parade to much under the heading of "simply trying to help a fellow shooter", if that was the case you would not be trying to "market" your video you plan to release and asking people to do name dropping if they happen to buy something you are using in your video. Seems very self serving to me.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, that is a different opine.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Ray, thanks for the links.
    Be aware, if you ask for feed back on this board, you will get it, in spades. Not everyone will agree on all points. Otherwise, we would not be here since we would already know it all.
    If we all liked the same thing, we would all be married to the same woman.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!