Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a great easy chili recipe.

Boolit Master

Need a great easy chili recipe.

I would really appreciate a good chili recipe that uses tomatoes, onions, green peppers and beans. I just really like chili but my recipe just sucks and I don't know how to fix it. Please, no low cal recipes, they all suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Try 1.5 lbs ground chuck browned with one large sweet onion (diced) (I usally put 2 pats of real butter in to start the onion and then add the beef). When the beef is browned, drain the grease off and place in a 8 quart pan, add 2 303 size cans of Hinez Chilli ready tomatoes, 2 303 size cans of Bushes Chilli beans. De-stem and de-seed 3 large Anihiem peppers and dice them. Add the peppers and a package of your choice of chilli seasoning to mix and heat until just below a boil. Shut the heat off and wait. While your waiting make a large pone of corn bread (should take about 30 minutes to make and cook). When the corn bread is ready, dig in.

Boolit Master
    Schutzen I was looking more for a generic type recipe I could make from scratch, readily available ingredients in my cupboard.

decone31, You're a hard man, I didn't know you were "THAT" #3 chili judge, LOL.
    I made one famous chili contest recipe ONCE! While it was cooking down I had a couple beers. When it reached the time limit in the recipe I ate it and It was REALLY hot, but good. Then the next day it had it's revenge and started eating me. That's the last time I fixed it !!!!!! However on the bright side I did sweat off 4 lbs, LOL.

Boolit Master

Exclamation

Here's a quickie recipe:

1 lb lean beef 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
    1 small onion chopped 29 oz. cvan od tomato sauce
    1 tsp salt 2 (16) oz cans kidney beans
    1 -2 tsp chili powder
    1 bay leaf

In a skillet break up beef with a fork & cook until lightly browned. Pour off excess fat, In a slow cooking pot, combine beef with onion, salt, chili powder, bay leaf, Worchestershire sauce,tomato sauce & beans. Cover and cook on high 2-3 hours, remove bay leaf and serve.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Changeling, Can't get any easier than this:
    Ingredients: 1 medium onion, 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, 1 jar Pace Picante Sauce, Beer, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Beans (optional)

Chop and saute a medium onion in a little oil until clear, Brown 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef, Combine the two in a pan add medium jar of Pace picante sauce (mild, medium or hot, your choice) add beans if you wish. I don't as I hate beans. Add enough beer to reach the consistency you desire. Top with shredded Cheddar Cheese just prior to serving. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

For what its worth changeling my chili sucked too and when I made it this way it was good enough the wife made me write down how I did it!!
    Ok this one makes a great pot of chili my family loves it any way!
    1/4 cup of olive oil
    4-5 pounds of venison burger or ground beef if you prefer
    1 bell pepper diced
    2 big onions diced
    4 cloves of garlic minced
    3 cans diced tomatoes 1 of them roltel with chilis
    3 cans chili beans
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup ketchup
    1 tbsp a-1
    2 tbsp worcestire
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tbsp of chili powder then add to your liking

Brown meat in part of the oil and part of the garlic. Quickly saute the onions and bell pepper in a skillet and add to browned meat. Add all other ingredients and simmer a couple hours. For best taste refrigerate overnight and eat tomorow but ours never makes it past an hour of simmer time. But the leftovers are even better!!
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    I would really appreciate a good chili recipe that uses tomatoes, onions, green peppers and beans.
    2 cans of kidney beans
    2 cans of diced tomatoes
    2 jars of tomatoe sauce
    1 16 oz. can of beer
    2 packets of chili seasoning
    1 small diced onion
    1 large green pepper
    1 jar of medium or hot salsa
    1 lb of browned ground beef

cook on stove top in a large pot or toss into crockpot, either way it's fast and no fuss.

While you're waiting, mix up a drink of the following:

2 oz. tequila
    2 oz. lemon juice
    4 oz. water
    1/2 cup of ice
    3 packets of sweetner

Take it outside and enjoy with a mild cigar in the shade.
    Last edited by WILCO; 05-25-2010 at 02:19 AM.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    No flames, please. I read about this in a cookbook years ago and have been doing it since. Can't remember which book it was. I add a can of Campbell's Tomato soup concentrate to my chili. It sweetens it, mellows it out and knocks the rough edges off, everyone that tastes it raves about it. The book also said to add chopped carrots and likewise, everyone seems to like the crunch it adds. Don't scoff until you try it.
    223tenx
    Pete in WV

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 223tenx View Post
    No flames, please. I read about this in a cookbook years ago and have been doing it since. Can't remember which book it was. I add a can of Campbell's Tomato soup concentrate to my chili. It sweetens it, mellows it out and knocks the rough edges off, everyone that tastes it raves about it. The book also said to add chopped carrots and likewise, everyone seems to like the crunch it adds. Don't scoff until you try it.
    Here's my version with Tomato soup concentrate:

1 lb. of lean ground meat (Beef or Venison) browned

1 small onion (diced)

1/4 cup of celery (diced)

1 (16oz) can of Red Kidney Beans or Chili Beans

1 can of tomato soup concentrate (low sodium)

1 cup of red wine (you can substitute Beer or water)

1 (14.5oz) can of diced tomatoes

Chili Powder to suite your taste. ( I use less when using Chili Beans)

1 Jalapino pepper (diced) or more if you like it hotter

Brown Meat in Dutch oven until no longer pink. Add diced onions and celery,
    cook until translucent. Add rest of ingredients and simmer 20 minutes.

Note: You can add Green peppers if you like. Add more liquid if you like your
    chili looser. Double everything if more than 2-3 servings are required.

Winelover

The sugar in the tomato soup is what kinda counteracts the acidic flavor from the tomatoes. One thing I always do is a little sugar in chili. Just a little though to much and you have a chili flavored bean pudding that I do not recomend.
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

Boolit Master
    My favorite recipe is very close to deerslayer's -- I use less beans and more chili powder, but it's pretty close.

I also do the same recipe with shredded chicken -- I steam a couple chickens in a clam steamer, and bone them out after they cool.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pmeisel View Post
    My favorite recipe is very close to deerslayer's -- I use less beans and more chili powder, but it's pretty close.

I also do the same recipe with shredded chicken -- I steam a couple chickens in a clam steamer, and bone them out after they cool.
    I use alot more chili powder also but that is a good starter amount. The rotel tomatoes with diced chili's sure add alot of flavor also and cuts down on the needed chili powder.

The chicken chili sounds interesting I may have to try that some time. I usually have enough venison to make more chili than I know what to do with. Last year no trophy's walked by so I did not even harvest one I still had plenty in the freezer.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Don't forget the cumin.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Excuse my Texas accent but, Anybody that knows beans about chili,knows chili ain't got no d*** beans.
    If you want beans in it you add them after the cooking. Might as well put potatoes and corn it it too.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Actually if your chili ends up to thin add a little instant mashed potatoes and it won't really affect the taste but it will thicken it right up.

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
    Actually if your chili ends up to thin add a little instant mashed potatoes and it won't really affect the taste but it will thicken it right up.
    I've been known to add instant mashed potatoes to my chicken soups.
    It adds a "creamy" effect to it.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Cactus Farmer -- the beans are for my Indiana-born wife. If I make it for myself, no beans....

But sometimes I do add corn!
    Paul

Boolit Master
    Plus 1 for what cactus farmer said. No d#m#ed beans in the chilli. Serve it over them or add them later.....Chilli should be Chilli con carne. That is chillis with meat plus spices and someother stuff but not beans. When you add beans that makes MOVEN ON CHILLI...Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Boolit Master
    For those like me who have a wife that thinks there should be beans in chili --

Make the chili without beans. When it gets to the simmer point, split the pot -- she gets a sauce pan of chili with a can of kidney beans in it. Keep the rest going, and add seasoning to taste! (I add my bell peppers then, too, I like em and she don't.)

She has terrible taste in chili. But she makes good cornbread and barbecue, and she's good looking....

Do any of you crumble cornbread in the bottom of the bowl before serving your chili over it like I do sometimes?
    Paul