WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk .327 Fed Mag

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    ... I'll likely get ammo or brass before scoring a revolver--not the first time I've pulled that stunt, either.
    That's actually a sound plan. Unless things have changed drastically since February, procurement of the the gun is the easy part.

Boolit Grand Master
    The other end of the question is a choice between a Blackhawk in 30 Carbine or the BH in 327. I currently have ammo--brass--tooling--and components in 30 Carbine, but no firearm. I have the tooling for 327, but that's it. I'm inclined to think that the 30 Carbine and the 327 in a revolver are pretty close ballistically, and one can always adapt 32-20 cases to the 30 Carbine revolver chambers if required. A decision--one way or the other--will happen later this year, and is the second acquisition scheduled for this year--the Glock 23 being the first, which was too cheap to pass up and WAY too useful to ignore.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Word of caution on the Blackhawk .30 Carbine is that it is very loud with standard loads. Then there is 6 vs. 8 rds and the different loads you can shoot in the .327. I believe you could also shoot .32 ACP as it is a semi rimmed case, same bullet dia and lower pressure. The rim is a bit shorter so the possiblity of misfires is present but don't know and case should still headspace on the rim.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

To the OP's original question. All .32 H&R loading data can be safely used in both .32 H&R, and .327 Federal brass when it is to be fired in one of the new Rugers.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    ...I'm inclined to think that the 30 Carbine and the 327 in a revolver are pretty close ballistically...
    To paraphrase a joke I've told previously-- do you like your .30 carbine rimmed or rimless?

But the .327 does make the idea of a 3-cylindered Ruger Convertible a viable one. (With "viable" being one of those relative terms.) Imagine one gun that could shoot the .327 Federal, the H&R Mag, .30 Carbine, and the 32-20?

Wipe the spittle off your chin you mid-bore fanatic, you.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Single Six in 32 H&R that I used to shoot 32acp in. No problems and actually pretty accurate. Made a good squirrel load.

I read that the cylinder on the Single Six is too short for the 327. Is that true??

At the pressure the 327 operates at I imagine it is as loud as the 30 carbine in the BH.

Boolit Master
    leadman
    I talked to a Texas smith recently that told me the single six can be made to handle the 327 Federal. They re barrel or re cut the forcing cone so that it is flush with the frame then make a cylinder that is the full length of the cylinder window.
    He told me they are even making 5 shot cylinders in 38 special for the single six and fitting in the same manner. Fit this way the forcing cone is fully supported inside the frame so can be thin enough to handle 38 cal but not suffer erosion issues as an unsupported forcing cone may, such as the S&W 66 did with 357 mag loads.
    Now that would be a handy packing little gun with a bumble bee size sting.
    BIC/BS
    Last edited by Bullshop; 04-27-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMag View Post
    Starline can go pound sand. Freedom Arms has empty, primed Federal brass. I don't have my price sheet in front of me, but 1K pieces is in the neighborhood of $200.
    I checked with Freedom Arms yesterday and they are out of the 327 brass. I was all set to order some. Day late, dollar short.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    I checked with Freedom Arms yesterday and they are out of the 327 brass. I was all set to order some. Day late, dollar short.
    Sorry to hear it. It did seem like an odd item for them to carry... I'm guessing they bought a boat load for the purposes of making their .224-327, and sold off the 'surplus'. And now that the surplus is gone, who knows if they'll ever have it again. (I have no idea how that .224-327 thing is working out for them.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMag View Post
    Wipe the spittle off your chin you mid-bore fanatic, you.
    Is it THAT obvious?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.