Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners

Thread: Is melamine-coated particle board Stout enough to use as a Reloading table?

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Question Is melamine-coated particle board Stout enough to use as a Reloading table?

Howdy all,

Am planning to redo my loading table. So, is melamine-coated particle board Stout enough to do the job? I want to get Pat Marlins system, and don't want to order till I figure out a new top. I am using a Star Lube Sizer, Lyman Spar T, Lee Classic 4 hole Turret, and a Lee Classic Single Stage.

What say Y'all?

Thanks,

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

I think it's fine. My set up is made from 3/4" particle board but to be honest the bottom is two layers glued and screwed together, but it has no legs and is still very rigid.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek Sam View Post
    Howdy all,

Am planning to redo my loading table. So, is melamine-coated particle board Stout enough to do the job? I want to get Pat Marlins system, and don't want to order till I figure out a new top. I am using a Star Lube Sizer, Lyman Spar T, Lee Classic 4 hole Turret, and a Lee Classic Single Stage.

What say Y'all?

Thanks,

Sam
    i used 3/4 hi density partical board...doubled...glued and screwed the two pcs together. inecpensive and solid. an alternative id oak form a large desk...or table. i have one just onder 2" thick, 8' long and about 32 deep.....( got it cheap)

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Banned
    If it's backed by a 2X6 or the like, yes. Also, use LARGE washers for any thru bolts, forget about Lag screws. they will pull through

Quote Originally Posted by Storydude View Post
    If it's backed by a 2X6 or the like, yes. Also, use LARGE washers for any thru bolts, forget about Lag screws. they will pull through
    Agree. And I mounted my press over an upright support.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    I can tell you for sure that the answer lies more on what you plan for support under the presses, ESPECIALLY that Spar-T, than the top surface itself. Modern compound toggle presses stress the bench FAR less than older simple toggle lever presses do.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I use it at the 1in thickness. I don't screw anything directly to it but mount all presses ,sizers, and other tools to 2x6 pieces of wood. I then use c-clamps to secure them to the bench top. This will also allow you to change things around for different stages.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Quote Originally Posted by ept000 View Post
    I think it's fine. My set up is made from 3/4" particle board but to be honest the bottom is two layers glued and screwed together, but it has no legs and is still very rigid.

Whats the bucket in the third pic used for? I see its been modified for something.

Boolit Master

See if ypu can get your hands on a used solid core door, they make very good loading bench tops and should work good with P. M. system.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by desteve811 View Post
    Whats the bucket in the third pic used for? I see its been modified for something.
    its a brass tumbler...
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    its a brass tumbler...
    Yep. Once filled and the lid is snapped on it pivots down to a horizontal running position, then it rotates so it's all under the bench. When it's done running it rotates back out, the lid comes off, then it pivots down to dump it out. Works great.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ept000 View Post
    Yep. Once filled and the lid is snapped on it pivots down to a horizontal running position, then it rotates so it's all under the bench. When it's done running it rotates back out, the lid comes off, then it pivots down to dump it out. Works great.
    Okay ept, you've got my curiosity up too much. How about starting another thread on your home-made tumbler and give us some pictures of the mechanical workings of it.
    EW

Quote Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
    Okay ept, you've got my curiosity up too much. How about starting another thread on your home-made tumbler and give us some pictures of the mechanical workings of it.
    EW
    Check out this thread. Sorry for the thread hi-jack
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=54602

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    ept000, That is a very neat set up. It is projects like this that make this forum so good. Thanks for sharing. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet