Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biggest disappointment in a gun?

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger mini 14! Most in accurate rifle I ever owned and got rid of!

My .45 cal flint lock from traditions , gun never did work right even after three times back to manufacturer and several visits to a local gun smith it went bye bye real soon after that .
    http://adventuresinopencarr.blogspot.com/
    even my cat has a gun
    Trust in GOD and the Mauser.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    A Ruger, any Ruger, All Rugers.
    Those Ruger's plus my Charter Arms .44 Bulldog that I bought in I think 1978 when they first came out. Ruger has been the biggest disapoitment in both rifle and handgun.

2shot

Boolit Master
    Hmmm..? Winchester Model 250. Remember those? Nice little 22cal lever action that I worked my **** off all summer long baling hay, mowing lawns and shingeling roofs to purchase at the tender age of 17. After shooting a box of shells the trigger pull went up to 20lbs. !! ***? Took it back to Grices Gun Shop in Clearfield, Pa. where I bought it. They said.."Tough..it's a cheap gun we can't fix it." Never bought another Winchester and never bought from Grices again. Good riddance to both. Audie..the bitter oldfart.

In Remembrance

Browning Citori, that thing would beat me to death trying to shoot 50 clay birds. I felt like I went 12 rounds with Ali after shooting that thing so down the road it went. I didn't fit me and I couldn't bring myself to have such a fine piece of wood cut down to fit just me.

Boolit Master

.44 magnum Colt Anaconda. The rear face of the cylinder wasn't machined square, so it bound up on three chambers. I also realized that the barrel hadn't been turned quite far enough, which caused rear sight adjustment issues. I sent back to Colt and it was returned in the same condition. I had a friendly machinist face the cylinder for free, which fixed that, but that didn't help the barrel. In the end I traded it off and wasn't sorry.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Banned
    ...nevermind...

Boolit Master
    i have two...

a ruger 30 carbine blackhawk;'the chambers in the cylinder were all cut a different length,most rub the case on the recoil shield,it also had a huge bump in the recoil shield(from the casting process)so that primers dragged on it.i stoned it off.now i just use 32-20s THANKS BEAGLE !

second was a browning BPS trap gun,it just would not make it through a tournament without breaking down...several trips back to browning was enough for me.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukenukum View Post
    My .45 cal flint lock from traditions , gun never did work right even after three times back to manufacturer and several visits to a local gun smith it went bye bye real soon after that .
    There are no commercially available flintlock rifles that worth a hoot.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    ruger P85. bought it used about a year after it came out. Looked great, not a scratch on it, had really nice wood grips on it, extra mag, matching gun rug, looked like it was barely fired, and was only a little over half price of new. WOW, what a deal. i owned it 4 days. i bought it on a friday, took it to the range SAT. about 2 foot groups (and i use that term very loosly) at 25yds. It looked like i was shooting buckshot. At the time, i cound hold 3 - 4 inchs with my 629 at 25yds. i returned it that monday!!

i bought a new colt 1991 shortly after they came out. The front site fell off while shooting the first box!! "Staked in" my ****. Anyway i didn't want to wait to send it back to colt, so i had a local smith put sites on it, and tighten it up a bit. still have this gun, and it has become one of my favorites.

LB

Boolit Master
    Mine was Winchester Model 270 pump 22. It was my first .22 and I saved up for a year and a half to buy a .22. I wanted a Marlin 39A, but the guy in the gun shop talked me into the Winchester. At first it shot pretty good, and I bought a scope to put on it and all of a sudden I couldn't hit anything. The gun couldn't keep 10 rounds on a sheet of notebook paper at 30 yds. My Uncle looked at it and found the barrel was loose. It had a barrel nut that had backed off. We took it to the gun shop and the smith tightened it up and it worked great for about 4 months and loosened up again. My dad tightened it up and put lock tite on it and it lasted for another year. I finally took it to Oshmans and traded it in on a Browning Auto. They gave me exactly what I payed for the gun on the trade in. The Browning was a sweet gun.

G

Boolit Master

A Dan Wesson (Monson) revolver, blueprinted by DW R&D dept.
    It really didn't shoot any better than a stock Ruger Security-Six.
    It would also get out of time and bind up after about 1000 rounds.
    After the third trip back to the factory for rebuild, It got traded for another Ruger.
    No regrets on the trade.

For years I wished that Ruger would buy DW just for the interchangeable barrel design. A GP100 with interchangeable barrels would be sweet.

Jack

Without a doubt, the very worst *** firearm that I ever bought was an H&R Classic Target model in 38-55. After a seemingly endless amount of tinkering and load experimentation, I never could get this damned thing to stop keyholing the occasional shot. Many posters had written about similar problems and recommended remachining chambers to achieve acceptable results. I draw the line at remachining something that a manufacturer should have done in the first place. I was glad to get rid of this object to someone who wanted it primarily for its looks.

CZ 2075 RAMI in 40S&W: I've put more time in this firearm than I care to admit. Was admittedly designed for ball ammo, and not hollow points. Horrible trigger, and ridiculously long reset. For a compact, it's way to fat to wear comfortably, and way to unreliable to be considered a CCW. It's a cute looking gun, but the S&W3913 is far superior in every respect, or even the Glock thin frame if thats your cup of coffee!!!

Kahr 1928: Yet another gun that took an ungodly amount of time to make function. No good for Lead, since the blow back design is pretty hard on keeping the bullets from setting-back. Luckily the barrel is pretty strong, cause I've shot a few that where clearly over pressured due to set-back! -> pow-pow-jam-pow-pow-boom-pow-jam-pow-jam-broken extractor!
    The recoil springs are insane (ladies need not apply!) to charge the weapon, the furniture is half rate on the fit, the drums are useless, the trigger sucks, screws on the sites fall out (Need to weld, cause they're to short for locktite to work), and you have to cut up good mil-sup mags to use in this ***.
    I wish I had lost my grand in three card monte, then this ***!!!
    Two pages on bad guns and Kahr has made it in a couple of times already? F'in Weegers!

Early Glock 29's had issues with frames cracking with NORMAL 10mm loads. Glock admitted to me on the phone that the G29 was designed for current production 10mm Lites.
    I cracked TWO before I had to pay a hundred bucks to upgrade to the newer frame design. The jerks even threaten me to send my gun to Austria for powder analysis, and I would never see my gun again cause I didn't admit to using handloads.

Both early frames cracked with less than three hundred rounds... 11grs 800x / 155gr Plated.
    The upgraded black frame had NO issues?

Your millage might also vary with older Glock 30's and +P's, cause I've talked to a few folks that cracked those and my advise was to ask for the newer design when they RMA it.

I had a few 1911 that wouldn't shoot out of the box, but an hour of fitting and tuning they would shoot fine. It's sort of a right of passage with 1911's

Out of all the guns I have, those are the ones that stand out...and I've got a little of everything...
    Last edited by ronterry; 07-15-2009 at 02:58 PM.
    --------------
    Ron

Has to be my beloved Marlin 39M. It simply will not shoot better than 3" groups at 50 yards. I can take the 39A and shoot into the holes left on the paper by the 39M. I should get rid of it, but, for no good reason, I still love it.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger st m77 heavy bl 243 Varmits would laugh at me

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Kskybroom View Post
    Ruger st m77 heavy bl 243 Varmits would laugh at me
    A local fellow here had the same experience with that same model and caliber. Didn't take him long to send it along.

I have a Wilson 9mm carry pistol, I cant even remember what model it is. It is plastic frame, night sights, a lot of bells and whistles. I had a moment of weakness at a gun show and paid way too much. I dont like it at all. I will make someone a good deal if they want it. Nothing wrong with it, just paid too much for the Wilson name.

Boolit Master

S&W Sigma in .40 S&W (anyone else remember those?). Slide-to-frame fit was so poor that you could, literally, see daylight under the slide when locked in battery. I'd fired one of the pre-production guns (a shooting buddy was doing some contract work for S&W marketing at the time) and thought I just couldn't do without one. Picked the piece up from the dealer and took it straight to the range with a couple boxes of factory loads. Function was good but targets looked like buckshot patterns. Sent it straight back to S&W and they replaced it within a week. Next one was just as bad so I got in touch with S&W and arranged to send it back for credit against a new M586 wheelgun.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post
    A Dan Wesson (Monson) revolver, blueprinted by DW R&D dept.
    It really didn't shoot any better than a stock Ruger Security-Six.
    It would also get out of time and bind up after about 1000 rounds.
    After the third trip back to the factory for rebuild, It got traded for another Ruger.
    No regrets on the trade.

For years I wished that Ruger would buy DW just for the interchangeable barrel design. A GP100 with interchangeable barrels would be sweet.

Jack
    I love Rugers and would jump on that in a heart beat. They could easily come out with that offering for the GP100. I loved mine in 6"stainless full underlug barrel that I lost through some unfortunate circumstances. A combo with a 2 3/4", 4" and 6" barrel would be assume. And while talking about one I did like, I also liked my old Taurus model 66 I bought in the mid 80's. Not a Ruger and had the rear sights sear the screws off once because of shooting to many full house loads through it but it was accurate and reliable. (until the rear sight flew off of course) Had a smith drill and tap and add an extra screw to the rear sight but traded it later along with an FIE Titan and a Marlin model 30AS for my GP100.
    Last edited by armyrat1970; 07-16-2009 at 07:07 AM.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.