Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bleeding dog

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    My dog only drinks the good stuff.
    My dog licks her ass so I'm sure she will be fine with the bottom shelf stuff.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rp- View Post
    My dog licks her ass so I'm sure she will be fine with the bottom shelf stuff.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I don't actually laugh out loud....ever. But ya got me!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    I don't actually laugh out loud....ever.
    I'm sure if my wife where up, she'd be trying to figure out what I was cackling about at 4am!

Boolit Master

I'm a vet. The vast majority of rodenticides (rat poisons) are warfarin derivatives. They cause hemorrhage by interfering with the blood clotting mechanism and vit K1 is antidotal. In the beginning, warfarin was used, but rats soon became resistant and more and more powerful versions were developed which required smaller and smaller doses to be lethal. A single exposure is quite sufficient for lethality for these newer ones. The effects lake a day or 2 to be apparent, but lethargy and bleeding from multiple sites (or into body cavities) is expected. Consumption of poisoned rats is a possible source of intoxication for dogs. I've never heard of multiple site hemorrhage sites from toad intoxication, if that's what the local vet said....OK! We have several species of bufo toads here, Southern toad, Fowlers toad, Oak toad. All have the toxic parotid glands on either side of their neck. The most common signs of their toxicity is severe drooling, head shaking etc. Supposedly neuro signs, rapid heard rate, seizures are possible, I've never seen these and known it was from a toad. I think most of the time the dog drops the toad before that level of exposure occurs. I've seen my daughter's dog drop one so fast that the toad wasn't even injured from the encounter. I would like to know if there is a species that can cause hemorrhage. Learn something new everyday!

Boolit Master

I did not intend to mislead the cause with the toad reference. I am certainly not a Veterinarian. Here in SW Florida the news is constantly mentioning the threat to pets from them so that it where my train of thought went. Hope the dog is doing well.