MCD ProductsRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teflon tape ?

Teflon tape can work, the problem is getting the correct thickness in any number of wraps. It's elastic, so the thickness can vary as you wrap, and you will need a lot more wraps compared to paper to get the same thickness.

There are much simpler, more effective ways.

Cash register rolls, the non-thermal variety, work well.

Boolit Master
    Teflon tape may be better on a plain smooth sided bullet ,or on a lightly knurled one.....I recall back in the day there was big fuss about teflon coated pistol bullets,claimed they went straight thru police body armor..........all the gang bangers got AR and AKs now,which certainly go thru armor,coated or not.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I recall back in the day there was big fuss about teflon coated pistol bullets,claimed they went straight thru police body armor..........all the gang bangers got AR and AKs now,which certainly go thru armor,coated or not.
    Yeah, that was back when they were telling us that glocks could pass through metal detectors. Neither one is remotely true.

Boolit Master
    Wolfdog -

Howdy !

I mentioned the use of Dymo label maker taper, for .35 Remington in a M-336 XLR.

Please be advised:
    The tape I used proved to be too thick to allow proper feeding of the loaded " tape " cartridge into the chamber. Loaded cartridge neck OD was too great.

I am running .010" neck wall thickness, and the label maker tape was too thick... even though the swaged lead SPBT I used mic's right @ .350" diam. These boots I pulled from saboted .45 calibre muzzle loader rounds.

I was able to shoot these w/ the case in a " Neckless " configuration, as an experiment.... and it worked for me.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    Wolfdog .

OOPs... forgot to mention..... the DYMO label maker taper is self-stick Nylon tape.

With regards,
    357Mag

Snooky Williamson in his book "Winchester Lever Legacy" had some success with it. However, it
    is prohibitively expensive and the results may be questionable.

However, in "
    Getting a Stand" and the Buffalo Harvest, other hide hunter books: there is no mention of Teflon.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 450 Fuller View Post
    Snooky Williamson in his book "Winchester Lever Legacy" had some success with it. However, it
    is prohibitively expensive and the results may be questionable.

However, in "
    Getting a Stand" and the Buffalo Harvest, other hide hunter books: there is no mention of Teflon.
    I have Snooky Williamson's book ... his results were a success . No leading and improved accuracy ... He was granted a US Patent on the method .
    A Forty-Three foot long roll of 1/2" wide tape is $8.00 at Wally Mart ... that's 516 inches of tape (allow 2" per boolit = 258 boolits ... for $8.00 !
    it is not expensive to Teflon-Tape wrap a boolit ... might be cheaper than powder coating . It is a bit time consoming but no more so than Paper Patching .
    If you are into reloading Winchester Lever Action rifles this obscure book is a very interesting read ... lots of loads tested and photo's .
    Snooky isn't a Cajun but is a Louisiana Boy and quite a character !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Ok then. Nobody here has shot with Teflon thread tape. Wolfdog, commence your science.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Bigslug, I tried it long ago with the thinner teflon tape. It worked as advertised, but it was a small sample.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried teflon tape on a smooth sided, grooveless, 30 caliber clone of 311291. I experimented with a wire wound bullet in the early '90s, wrote it up in Handloaders Bullet Making Annual (1991 or 1992). As a side project, I teflon wrapped a bunch of the bullets and shot them in my 30 WCF Model 54 and I think some in a 30-06. As I recall, they were accurate enough and there was no leading. If I remember right, I gave them two wraps of teflon tape and then ran them through a .308 sizer. It wasn't an exhaustive test but showed what could be done or expected.

Boolit Master
    Might work then if I need a few thou thicker bullet than I can cast then.
    I have a 30-30 that has a 0.300 bore and 0.315" grooves.
    I think it would not have shot too well with std jacketed ammo.

I a tried wrapping Teflon tape once but couldn’t get an even width and wrap of the bullet, so never bother to test it.
    I also tried aluminium foil. To the same effect.

I would tend to put the nose in a tube that held it then spin that while trying to wrap instead of trying to push the bullet along a bench if I chose to go down that rabbit hole again.

I have enough trouble with wrapping paper.
    Ha

Boolit Buddy
    More than a few years ago, someone on another forum asked the same question. My response was, I don't know but I'll find out. I had just bought my first .45-70 and I didn't have any boolits the right size so I Teflon patched up 50 boolits I had cast up for my .45 ACP. I used a light load of 9 grains of Red Dot and they shot very consistent. I recall the 50 yard group size was pretty small but I didn't measure... After ever shot it looked like it was snowing out the muzzle so I can only assume all the tape blew off.

The real bummer that day was I forgot to bring a screwdriver to loosen the lock screws on the peep sight. I had a manually correct for windage. I didn't keep the target because it was beer soaked. I had found an old, nasty looking can of Coors in the garage of my house when I bought the place and I saved it for a time when I could go shooting with my grandsons. The boys were as impressed with the .45-70 as I was...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master
    I for one have used the stuff. Several years ago I spent 1 1/2 shooting seasons shooting nothing but paper-patch thru my .22 Hornet. Learned alot. I did try Teflon plumbers tape in various thicknesses. The strange part was I needed to get powder charge way up to max. before I got accuracy..and what accuracy! I was getting groups in the .300's at 100yds. bullets just exploded if happened to hit tack head holding target. However...if you happened to get a flier..STOP! and run patch thru bore..the tinest lead flake you wouldn't even care about with gg. or even paper would be found on patch. if ignored, you would get a barrel full of lead. That thin teflon patch is delicate! I had thought these would be great for varmints...but in the field, you wouldn,t be aware of torn patch.

Boolit Grand Master

I also have used some Teflon Taped boolits in a 30-30 ... they shot just as well as conventional lubed boolits . I've had Snookey Williamson's book for decades and there is no way I would not have tried it out .
    I find the wrapping and heat sealing to be some what a pain ...
    and I'm lazy ... but they do work to prevent leading as claimed in Williamson's book !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Just be aware that ove 750F teflon gives off poison gas.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Decades ago I ran Tfe wrapped cast in 45-70, 243, 357. No lube, sized to fit case & bore, full house loads. 45-70 300g at near 458 vel, 243 at 2700fps, 357 in 35Rem.. NO residue in bores very clean. Groups a little better than standard cast with alox. One issue; the 243 had no group, till I noticed the spiral down range from the boolit loosing mass to air friction. A little too fast I guess. I quit for a couple decades, now powder coat with gas check is faster, cheaper per ea, & probably less chance of fumes. PLUS I can color code the loads (Red is always WARM, & really looks cool in the cylinders)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    One thing folks do not consider, when TEFLON tape is exposed to flame: when burned, TEFLON gives off cyanide gas.
    Something to ponder.
    Now that’s funny! Like someone else mentioned I don’t believe it’s cyanide gas but still not pleasant. But with that being said in the concentrations generally needed even if it was cyanide gas too seriously do you harm I would imagine you would have to have your nose stuck over the muzzle as it was burning! And if that were the case I don’t believe it would be the gas you’d have to be worrying about! Sorry I hate to be cynical it’s just me but I couldn’t resist!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Seal Beach ammo depot used teflon missile wing plugs as ashtrays until a few sailors died.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

I have to think that .303guy is right in that due to the mass of the bullet (heat sink) and short duration of burn the Teflon tape doesn't get hot enought to melt or burn in any significant amount and any gas produced will be dispersed and diluted along with the smokless powder gasses... which are also toxic and contain lead or copper depending on what you are shooting, cast lead or jacketed. With Teflon tape wrapped lead bullets there should not be any lead particulate in the gas because the Teflon tape should keep lead off the bore and away from the burning powder.

Not saying that heating/burning Teflon isn't bad and doesn't produce toxic gases just that I doubt there is any significant toxic gas produced and little exposure when shooting Telon wrapped boolits.

Longbow

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    Probably good to do all your shooting with the tape outdoors.