Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reservations About Consuming Venison from CWD Areas

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I simply try to use a little common sense when it comes to things I eat ...

But you have to remember I have eaten Pickled Pigs Lips , Squirrels , Raccoons , Spam and most things that swim , fly , creep or crawl ... use enough heat and it will kill any bacteria , virus or bug ...
    Cook it well done and don't eat anything raw ... No Sue-she !
    Gary
    The prions from CWD are not destroyed in an incinerator. The Mad Cow residue in England was buried. CWD contaminated game residue in one state (Maybe Michigan) is buried in the ground after the whole is prepared with clay bottom and sides. Apparently the prions are captured and bond to the clay (or other type of barrier!)

Banned
    mad cow can be tested for, however it requires slices of the brain to be put upon these thin pieces of glass that are called slides,a nd then looked at under a microscope..

however, the meat needs to be cooked.

In Colorado if you harvest one that tests positive the CPW will give you a new tag if you turn in the carcass that tested CWD positive. Here they only want the head for testing and recommend you avoid cutting into the spinal area. Just don't shoot one that looks or acts weird.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

I got too many things to worry about now ... it all started back in 1955 in first grade , hide under the desk because the Ruskies were going to drop the A-Bomb ...started with worry about "The Bomb" and hasn't stopped ... I need a spread sheet to keep track of what to worry about on what day ....
    Anyone got a worry sheet that includes everything we should worry about ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Currently I hunt in AR and OK which have had or do have CWD positive herds. I only shoot healthy looking/acting deer. We also bone out all carcasses and we hardly ever cut into any bones. If we want to save the horns we use a saw that never contacts any edible meat. If you eat brains and spinal cord/fluids you are not very bright anyway. If CWD was easily spread among other species why don't we have CWD postive possums, coons, coyotes, crows, buzzards, etc..? I know it has been transmitted to monkeys but I understood it was injected into their brains. By boning the deer you could easily freeze it, submit the haed for a test and then process it after given the all clear. However remember it can take years for it to show up in an animal. Take a few precautions and don't worry about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    “We’re all mad here…”
    Speak for yourself, I'm just mildly 'teeched

Moderator Emeritus

Montana does a free test and pull or you can mail them in. I drove the 7 miles to the testing area and visited with the two cute ladies that were pulling glands. They gave me a number and I had to wait about three weeks for results. All three animals tested negative. I process my own so I have cut it and ser it in the freezer waiting for the results. I will now grind the meat I have bagged.

Our landfill will no longer accept carcasses unless they are bagged. They do furnish a large baggie. Instructions from FWP are to leave the spine and head where you shoot it or dispose of it in a landfill. It's easy enough to do.

The only prep I do different is bone the shanks and cook them rather than Osso Bucco with the marrow.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I got too many things to worry about now ... it all started back in 1955 in first grade , hide under the desk because the Ruskies were going to drop the A-Bomb ...started with worry about "The Bomb" and hasn't stopped ... I need a spread sheet to keep track of what to worry about on what day ....
    Anyone got a worry sheet that includes everything we should worry about ?
    Gary
    Very true,guess I need one as well
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    no mad club disease
    Mmmm, I dunno - I see a lot of politicians of a certain association which make me strongly suspect formal membership.

These mis-shapen prions are pesky things, durable as all get out, to 200 deg C!?! A steak would be a hockey puck by the time they were seriously affected. I'll get mine tested. Like with the fake vax, my health and life are worth more than an hour's enjoyment.

Check me out on this, but aren't the prions only in the nervous tissue? If so, just don't eat the brain and spine or contaminate the meat. But DO NOT take my word for that. Ask someone in the know and that's not me. But I do seem to recall getting that from somewhere many years ago.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...cwd/cervid-cwd
    If you want to know more about CWD click on the link. Then below the article click on Human Health.
    Interesting reading

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bayjoe View Post
    https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...cwd/cervid-cwd
    If you want to know more about CWD click on the link. Then below the article click on Human Health.
    Interesting reading
    Thanks for posting that - very interesting material.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    AFAIK, these prions are primarily in brain and spinal tissues/fluids, but are not absolutely confined there, but don't take that for an absolute. Moe has probably been discovered since I read about it.