Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: C&R License and Selling AP Ammo

Boolit Master

C&R License and Selling AP Ammo

I may have listed some AP ammo on Gunbroker. Considering the current times, I figured it would be a good time to let some go. It's pretty uncommon, FN M61 7.62X51/.308. Upon doing some reading, I am seeing conflicting information. Some claim it is absolutely not legal to sell any sort of privately own AP ammo if you are a C&R holder, as I am. Others say you may, but must record the sale in your files. Do any of you have any information on this subject? I definitely do not want to do anything illicit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I may have listed some AP ammo on Gunbroker. Considering the current times, I figured it would be a good time to let some go. It's pretty uncommon, FN M61 7.62X51/.308. Upon doing some reading, I am seeing conflicting information. Some claim it is absolutely not legal to sell any sort of privately own AP ammo if you are a C&R holder, as I am. Others say you may, but must record the sale in your files. Do any of you have any information on this subject? I definitely do not want to do anything illicit.
    Call your local BATF for this. By far the best source of information.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Pretty sure that the M61 bullet was banned by name in the 94 assault weapons ban. I have no idea what that means today, but I doubt it has anything to do with your C&R License.

Boolit Master

I looked into this a few years back when I came across some German WWII AP in an ammo box of assorted 8x57 from an estate auction. Was considering reselling either online or at a gunshow but thought I should check on the legal aspect. According to the BATF agent I spoke with back then, ALL ammo designated as 'armor-piercing' by the original military source is prohibited...period! Unfortunately, the stuff I had was lost in a canoeing mishap before I had the opportunity to turn it in.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 02-11-2021 at 12:11 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Well, I know that is at least partially untrue. The 30-06 M2 AP is widely bought and sold freely.

Boolit Master

7.62X51/.308 is considered a handgun caliber. FN M61 is considered amour piecing. For an FFL holder it may be sold to law enforcement or US military. Each round sold to anyone else is a felony, each round a separate felony.

That was when I had my company FFL 07. non ffl holders may sell it to another unless the law has changed. An 03 is an FFL.

I would pull the auction myself.

30/06 is not considered a handgun caliber.

Boolit Man
    Isn't 5.56 green tip (steel insert) effectively armor piercing?
    OCCAM'S RAZOR is the problem-solving principle - the simplest explanation is usually the right one.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trebleplink View Post
    Isn't 5.56 green tip (steel insert) effectively armor piercing?
    https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/a...rmor-piercing/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    7.62X51/.308 is considered a handgun caliber. FN M61 is considered amour piecing. For an FFL holder it may be sold to law enforcement or US military. Each round sold to anyone else is a felony, each round a separate felony.

That was when I had my company FFL 07. non ffl holders may sell it to another unless the law has changed. An 03 is an FFL.

I would pull the auction myself.

30/06 is not considered a handgun caliber.
    This right here aligns with everything I remember, just was unaware that there was a special restriction for an FFL.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of. I will pull it asap. Never expected my C&R to be a interference like this.

Boolit Master

I assume I would still be in compliance if I break it down and sell the components? Or, just hold onto it until such a day I let my C&R expire.