RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sears is gone

Boolit Master

But they did NOT adapt to changing markets.
    They dumped their expensive printed catalog in the early 1990's, which wa
    ; but they totally failed to embrace the then new internet world. This was a huge mistake because they had the infrastructure in place with a huge distribution system but they failed to utilize it.
    They[/QUOTE]

Agreed. What got me about Sears, is how they started, like the original internet, but they didn't adapt. Left me scratching my head.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

BTW, I remember the catalog, out in the outhouse of my maternal grandfather's farm! LOL.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    BTW, I remember the catalog, out in the outhouse of my maternal grandfather's farm! LOL.
    Usually, that was the old one with its pages 'softened up' from being turned read so many times.
    The newest one normally stayed pretty close to the dining room table.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    When you see a Marlin 39A, made year’s ago, with 4 holes drilled and tapped on the left side of the barrel, that was a firearm made by Marlin for Sears. Tough to find those scope mounts today. I’ve got some Sears branded ammo in the collection also. Ted Williams brand brings back the good old days.

Banned

I don't think there is a big Sears left around here, Topeka, Manhattan and Salina's have all closed. We still have one of the little home town stores here that sells appliances and lawn mowers and such, but that's about it.

The old Motgomery Wards building in town here is a Good Will now. Hate to see retailing going this way.

Sears has been gone from my area for a long time. Back in the late 60’s my older sister worked for Sears and got a 10 % discount which I bought a 22 rifle and a shotgun and lots of ammo . Later I bought a lot of auto parts and tires from them and tools. Sears , Montgomery Wards, K mart all died slowly.

Jedman

Boolit Master

When my brother was 18, he bought an automatic 22 from Sears. Later on, I found out it was made by High Standard. Its dead on at 50 yards. I've taken plenty of squirrels with it. I inherited it, sad to say. I also own several "J. C. Higgins" branded guns. Marlin or High Standard produced. People used to turn up their nose at J.C.Higgins til they found out they were actually quality guns.

Boolit Buddy
    We always bought Kenmore appliances and they would last forever unlike today's stuff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BudRow View Post
    We always bought Kenmore appliances and they would last forever unlike today's stuff.
    And they were made by Whirlpool. Used to do appliance service for Sears in our small county with my Dad.

Boolit Master
    I was a young soldier with a family with two small boys in Germany in the early 70s. The Wish Book was where most of us bought almost everything for Christmas. Sears seemed to have a very good relationship with the Army Postal Office (APO) and if we ordered early enough there were no problems with Santa ever being late.

Here in the Hotlanta area KMart stores were finally closed because the employees were proven to literally steal more than the stores sold. It either went out of the warehouse area or out front over the counter and never rung up. Even with the anti-theft systems the cashiers could disable them for their "friends". Very sad, but true. GF

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    sears used to sell MAJOR wood and metal working tools. I have owned several 50/60's era Craftsman metal lathes, thickness planers, shapers, joiners, routers,and wood lathes. Most were made by Atlas or other companies and labeled for Craftsman. Parts were only a phone call away to the real makers! Then they went to only carp hand tools and small power tools. Then to ChiCom-made stuff. And finally the way of the dodo. Craftsman brand is now at Lowe's exclusively it appears....all ChiCom.

My sons grew up going to Sears with us almost every weekend for parts and this and that and toys. Wife bought tons of stuff there. Big Metro-Mall in Michigan. Same with MonkeyWard's and JCPenney. All morphed into stinking Amazon.

Sad. A shopping life-style that will never return........."touch and feel before you buy".

[QUOTE=bangerjim;5108827] Craftsman brand is now at Lowe's exclusively it appears....all ChiCom.

Either Ace or True Value hardware stores have them too.

I also found out they won't warranty the old school Craftsman tools, only their new ones-----
    but only if they have that EXACT! part number in stock to swap ya out with.

If ya have a old 3/8ths ratchet and it breaks,,,, you're out of luck.
    The new ones have a different part number.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

it is unfortunate that they disappeared.
    I grew up with the Sears catalogue. Mom and Dad bought appliances and tools from them. America has changed and not always for the better. When I go to the thrift stores looking for old tools to recondition and use I hope to find something with a Sears brand on it.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    [QUOTE=Winger Ed.;5108838]
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Craftsman brand is now at Lowe's exclusively it appears....all ChiCom.

Either Ace or True Value hardware stores have them too.

I also found out they won't warranty the old school Craftsman tools, only their new ones-----
    but only if they have that EXACT! part number in stock to swap ya out with.

If ya have a old 3/8ths ratchet and it breaks,,,, you're out of luck.
    The new ones have a different part number.
    Did not know about the hardware stores. Never venture in them. Only Homely Despot and Lowe's because they are less than 2 miles from my house and have darned near everything I ever need.

Banned
    I heard that Sears was bought out by a rich investor to be used as a tax write off.

It started by sears giving all it older workers a "golden handshake" ie. letting them go in favor of lower-paid new employees and went downhill from there.

first, the K-Mart (sears owned) stores disappeared (still available online)

now the sears brick and mortar stores are fading.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    And they were made by Whirlpool. Used to do appliance service for Sears in our small county with my Dad.
    Yes BUT they were made to Sears spec... usually all top end parts versus run of the mill Whirlpool.

Moderator Emeritus

Sears started in a small town a mile north of the town I was born and lived in until I was 10. The local Sears store was old fashioned, creaky wood floors, 3 levels with a lot of dusty old stuff in the nooks and crannies... I was playing with electronics by age 7 and needed hand tools so I haunted the nooks and crannies finding old tools that were marked way down or were given to me free because the owner liked to see kids get into repairing things. If we were willing to go in the basement and dig it form under a pile of junk we usually got it free... we often set aside good stuff from those piles to be moved to the second floor and sold for 75% off.

Boolit Master

Sears, Monkey Wards, K-Mart, J.C. Penney's, and Western Auto.

All failed to adapt to a changing market.

Very few retail outlets make it to 100 years.

Somewhere out there is the store that will drive a stake through the heart of Walmart.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Boy, we sure ordered a lot from Sears, it didn't hurt that my Aunt worked at the catalog store. Years later I moved to Bakersfield, CA and they had a big store in the mall, and bought my first house a few months later. I needed a washing machine so my wife and I went to pick one up intending to pay cash. The sales person told me I would get a price break if I took out a credit card so I did. Then I walked downstairs and paid it off. I didn't need a dryer as I hung lines in the garage. By the time I finished hanging the laundry the first line loaded was already dry.

A couple years later, I moved to Tehachapi, CA and lived briefly in a duplex while my new house was being built. I needed a dryer as I had no lines to hang clothes on. Charged it, walked downstairs and paid it off. I was in the habit of paying cash and so the next 2 cars were paid in cash, mostly. I would buy in December leaving what was my expected tax return, and then pay it off in the spring. I was young and building my credit history, eventually banks loved me. By the time I was 30, I had 2 1/2 acres with a 3 bedroom house, and the deed in the safe. It started with that Sears card when I was 20. I miss Sears

My folks taught me to handle my money, raise my own food, and live within my means. My credit rating started with that Sears card that I never carried a balance longer than it took to walk downstairs. Now, I don't even have a single credit card and haven't in 15 years.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Sears, Monkey Wards, K-Mart, J.C. Penney's, and Western Auto.

All failed to adapt to a changing market.

Very few retail outlets make it to 100 years.

Somewhere out there is the store that will drive a stake through the heart of Walmart.
    And Amazon.