Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pellets cheaper than .22 LR

Multigunner,

Yep, the bbl. tape mod works wonders on the 880’s. As far as the triggers on them, I use the credit card mod. which gives a nice light trigger with no take up.
    You can google “the c/c trigger mod for the daisy 880” and find it. You probably already knew that, but just in case you did’nt, it works great.
    Daisy has also come out with the Winchester 1977xs( not the old 77 Winchester)which is a beefed up 880 shooting 800 FPS. With 7.9 gr. Lead Pellets on 10 pumps.
    $69.99 at Academy Sports stores.
    It equals the 880 on 6 pumps. Not a bad deal for the money at all! I really like the thumbhole stock it comes with for offhand shooting too.

I have, a good PCP costs more than a decent deer rifle, couple that with a carbon fiber tank and 4500 psi compressor and the set up cost more than the first 3 automobiles I owned but the pellet does cost less than a .22 round.

One can go a lot cheaper if they are willing to take a larger hit in effective range though.

Boolit Bub
    A tuned/quality springer is as accurate as you can hold it, can be recocked and loaded with one stroke of the lever and ready to go again. Weihrauch and Air Arms are at the top of the list for decent quality per dollar, Walther, RWS/Diana, and Air force/Cometa are slightly below those two. Maybe needing a seal or a spring after plenty of years of use, still have and use my RWS 48 IN .177 that is 1997 vintage. Gathered many more since then, for plinking or Target shooting it's .177 and for hunting I grab the .22 caliber.

PCP's are nice and require minimal effort to operate, depending on the rifle you can get at least 30 shots off before needing to recharge. Only drawback is the necessary costs and equipment needed to run one.

Boolit Master

Speaking of the 880 Daisy. To look at it you would think " crude cheap toy " but it will perform. My neighbor gave me one that he couldn't get to work. It just needed to be cleaned up and a drop of oil here and there. It will shoot where you point it and has plenty of power. With steel BBs I set up a target in front of our steel lawn shed thinking it would be a good backstop. I hit the target and the BB went through two sides of the shed and embedded real nice in the wooden fence behind the shed. Not a toy after all. It would be good squirrel medicine I am certain.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    The biggest complaint I have about many quality air guns is the weight. I have an RWS48 .17, a Benjamin .22 springer and an inexpensive Hatsan 95 .25, all are very accurate but fairly heavy. I still enjoy the Sheridan .20 for carrying. The hunting springers are also difficult and tiring to cock for long practice sessions (40-50 shots).
    I am considering a PCP, just haven't made the investment, and weight is still an issue. My hunting .358 Win only weighs 8 lbs, carrying a 10 lb pellet rifle doesn't track for me.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    The biggest complaint I have about many quality air guns is the weight. I have an RWS48 .17, a Benjamin .22 springer and an inexpensive Hatsan 95 .25, all are very accurate but fairly heavy. I still enjoy the Sheridan .20 for carrying. The hunting springers are also difficult and tiring to cock for long practice sessions (40-50 shots).
    I am considering a PCP, just haven't made the investment, and weight is still an issue. My hunting .358 Win only weighs 8 lbs, carrying a 10 lb pellet rifle doesn't track for me.
    Yes the big ones are heavy. My Beeman R1 is 10 lbs.with the scope, but it is never far from the house or my car.

My HW35's weigh more like 7 lbs so they aren't as big a load, but they are 50 yard guns and the R1 will do 100 with 25 gr pellets (JSB Monsters)

There are trade offs and giving up a little weight for a lifetime of shooting is one way to look at it. Also the nice German guns are not cheap but you can find them in places you wouldn't expect being sold by people who don't know what they've got. My HW35E cost me $60! and whereas it did need to be cleaned up, it cleaned up easily and came out nice, and is now a $400 gun!

Also it is very accurate with any decent pellet I shoot .

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I'm shooting 22 pellets at 2 cents each. I remember 22LR cheaper but that was long ago. I'm glad I went with a side lever, I was thinking I'd get better accuracy without the barrel hinge but I can cock that RSW48 all day, the leverage makes it easy.

I've been adding a tin or 2 to all my orders and have been getting free freight so I'm shooting for less than a 44 primer (old price LOL).
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.