Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chambering Reaming?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlawKid View Post
    Charlie hahn is great at it. And very inexpensive. Reaming your own cylinders seems easy in theory but its not. I have a drill press and i tried it myself with a nice .375 reamer etc and it wasnt straight. Went slow and was carefull...its not as easy as it sounds and precision is very necessary. Hand drill wont cut it. Trust me when i say to have it done professionally or by a competent machinist
    Capgun cylinder - all you need to do is ream depth a little over half the ball diameter - pointless taking more out - we dont need more powder capacity, just need to be able to load a correct size ball. I did a army colt and a walker last year. I have a lathe, drill press, mill, I made the reamer from a spare bolt - but I did the reaming slow and easy by hand - used a T shape tap wrench to hold and turn the reamer - not so hard - and you can stop before you wreck the cylinder rather than after if you use the machines.
    I went .462 we got a .464 pedersoli mold both guns shoot nice groups with full cylinder - never used to happen before. I didnt think it was difficult - maybe I am a competent machinist and dont realise it

I wanted full cylinder reamed being that i only shoot conicals and wanted a little more powdee capacity. A tapered hand reamer can be had for a .44 cap gun but all i could find was a straight reamer for my .36 cals. I used a drill press and i will admit...im not the best machinist. But i ended up ruining a cylinder. It did ream but it was a "little" off...so thats why i went and had it done professionaly. I was going to order a custom made hand reamer that had a pin gauge type guide...kinda like the hand reamers you get from brownells, but i instead opted to just have them done by someone else who has the available equipmenr and experience.

A person can also do the split dowel method if it is jusa a few thousands
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    I wanted full cylinder reamed being that i only shoot conicals and wanted a little more powdee capacity. A tapered hand reamer can be had for a .44 cap gun but all i could find was a straight reamer for my .36 cals. I used a drill press and i will admit...im not the best machinist. But i ended up ruining a cylinder. It did ream but it was a "little" off...so thats why i went and had it done professionaly. I was going to order a custom made hand reamer that had a pin gauge type guide...kinda like the hand reamers you get from brownells, but i instead opted to just have them done by someone else who has the available equipmenr and experience.
    I would not take the amount of meat out full depth that my Army colt needed - would definitely NOT shoot conicals in a cylinder reamed that much - too skinny !! (a 36 would be ok) The walker was ok ----but I never saw the point in running conicals in capguns anyway - roundball works fine. Everybody has a different plan....................thats ok

Boolit Mold
    Friends, I’ve been in conference with Charlie Hahn and in short, my revolver is on its way as we speak to him.

I weighed the cost of all the tools I’d need for the work and the fact that I could very easily screw it up with my inexperience. Mr. Hahn quoted me a very reasonable price and will also be examining the gun for any other recommended work.

I like the gun enough to rather not botch it. Thanks, all! Tremendous experience here for sure. Here is a photo of my swell little Navy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7D579EC0-5534-4E61-95B2-1A45E0F415CB.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	266132
    Last edited by Toots McGrubbner; 08-11-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toots McGrubbner View Post
    Friends, I’ve been in conference with Charlie Hahn and in short, my revolver is on its way as we speak to him.

I weighed the cost of all the tools I’d need for the work and the fact that I could very easily screw it up with my inexperience. Mr. Hahn quoted me a very reasonable price and will also be examining the gun for any other recommended work.

I like the gun enough to rather not botch it. Thanks, all! Tremendous experience here for sure. Here is a photo of my swell little Navy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7D579EC0-5534-4E61-95B2-1A45E0F415CB.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	266132
    I dont think you'll be disappointed, from my experience his work is top notch.

I did the same as you thinking about reaming it myself, for the price it wasn't worth messing it up. Turnaround time earlier this year was quite fast as well, less than a month.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven205 View Post
    I dont think you'll be disappointed, from my experience his work is top notch.

I did the same as you thinking about reaming it myself, for the price it wasn't worth messing it up. Turnaround time earlier this year was quite fast as well, less than a month.
    Gland to hear it! Thanks for the report.

What's the approximate price for a standard ream job by Charlie Hahn?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    What's the approximate price for a standard ream job by Charlie Hahn?
    You’ll have to contact him on the price because it seems as if it can vary, he quoted me a general range.

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    Wondering how much to change out to 40 or 41 cal? From John tylor
    Sending you a PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Mr. John Taylor did the work creating my two favorite percussion revolvers, a .40 caliber 1851 (round ball gun) and a .41 caliber 1858 (for .41 revolver molds), so he could maybe fix the chambers' diameter for you.
    He does nice work and at a fair price. Highly recommended!

Boolit Buddy
    Charlie hahn is great at it. And very inexpensive. Reaming your own cylinders seems easy in theory but its not. I have a drill press and i tried it myself with a nice .375 reamer etc and it wasnt straight. Went slow and was carefull...its not as easy as it sounds and precision is very necessary. Hand drill wont cut it. Trust me when i say to have it done professionally or by a competent machinist
    if it was easy, everyone would do it...