RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Wilson case trimmer question

Boolit Buddy

Wilson case trimmer question

I just got the LE Wilson case trimmer with micrometer stop and set it up per the instructions. The first cases I want to trim are 32-20, and I have the Wilson case holder for these. The cases just drop freely into the case holder, and then they just spin freely when the cutter touches them, so the cutters not cutting anything. I understand that normally you have to tap the cases in and out, so they fit snugly in the case holder and shouldn't spin, but mine just drop in freely. I've tried fired Remington cases and new Starline cases, and they're both the same.

Is this just a call-the-factory problem?

Boolit Master
    have you tried putting the cases in the other side with on mine one side grips the other does not.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    have you tried putting the cases in the other side with on mine one side grips the other does not.
    The case holders have a groove in one end that indicates the head end of the case.

Boolit Master
    Verify the case holder is the correct one by the marking on the outside of the holder. If it is call Wilson they are good folks. If it isn't return it to where you purchased it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't they have different case holders for fired and sized cases?????
    I have a Wilson that I've never tried. but I do know it has two case holders for each caliber.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    This. I have not heard of holders for new vs fired cases.

Boolit Master
    Yes, cases with a small degree of body taper and some others require two different holders.

To the OP: Are you sure your holder is stamped 32-20?

The L.E. Wilson part number is CH-3220 and it listed for fired and sized/new cases. If you have the correct one then it is cut wrong. I am quite sure who you bought it from will make it right and if you bought it used then I suppose I would go directly to lewilson.com

The groove indeed does indicate which end the head of the case rests.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy

It does the same thing with new or fired cases. I'll call them Monday. I don't remember where I got it, it was a long time ago and I actually bought it by mistake, thinking it was a case gage.

Boolit Bub
    If you have a Wilson case holder that slightly too big, I have often cut a 1/4'' wide strip of paper and inserted it along with the case into the holder to tighten it up. This has sure helped with a couple wildcats where no case holder was available. Just use one that is close in size.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not sure about the 32-20, but for the 308 Win, they have a neck sized and full length sized holders.

Boolit Buddy
    Wilson will fix you up.

I wore out the bore where the cutter slides in on my Wilson when I trimmed 1k 9mm Luger brass down to 9x18. I called Wilson and they sent me a new one.

Anyone else wear theirs out? I was using oil on it.

Boolit Master
    According to the L.E. Wilson web site the 32-20 utilizes just one case holder for fired, sized or new cases.

Three44s

Boolit Master

Give the case a little tap on your bench to seat the case in the holder. It depends on the taper of the case to hold it in place. Just like seating the Morse taper in the tailstock of a lathe. When you're done trimming, just tap the mouth of the case on the bench to dislodge it. Quick & easy. Make sure the bench is wood or use a wood block to tap on or you'll dent the case mouth. I've been using a Wilson trimmer for 50+ years and never had that problem.
    Last edited by Alstep; 06-22-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Tap cases in like Alstep suggested.

Boolit Bub
    Depending on what your bench is made of you will soon have rings in the top from tapping the cases. They hurt nothing but brownells or Sinclair sell a little white puck looking real to use for a tap.

Do you have lube on the case?

Boolit Master
    I solved the gouging of the bench top by mounting my homemade Wilson trimmer stands on my wife’s discarded plastic cutting boards.

Gives me a base to C clamp to available flat surfaces and a suitable place to bang cases in and out of my case holders. They take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’ ......

Three44s