MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RugerNo. 3

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Nope nope nope--45/70 at Ruger flavor levels in a 7-1/4# rifle will let you know that the primers functioned. I do believe my shoulder blades collided to the rear when I lit off 350 grain Hornadys at 2100 FPS+. Everyone that buys the #1 or #3 in 45/70 must give such loads a test drive. I put together 50 of them, and let's just say it took several range trips for me to exhaust the supply. Exhilarating, to say the least.
    It didn't take me long to look at a horseshoe, I shot 2 of those light end Ruger loads with a 405gr from the Lyman manual and pulled the other 48.
    I figured that if the trapdoor load would kill a deer, the same load from the Ruger #3 would as well, and it did.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysboss View Post
    My #3 started life as a 45-70. It was re barreled to octagon in 50-70 Govt. Wood was changed from a #3 stock set to #1. Modern take on an old buffalo gun. It gained some weight with the new barrel and wood.
    Cool. I'd like to see a pic of that rifle if you've got one.

Boolit Buddy
    Nope nope nope--45/70 at Ruger flavor levels in a 7-1/4# rifle will let you know that the primers functioned. I do believe my shoulder blades collided to the rear when I lit off 350 grain Hornadys at 2100 FPS+. Everyone that buys the #1 or #3 in 45/70 must give such loads a test drive. I put together 50 of them, and let's just say it took several range trips for me to exhaust the supply. Exhilarating, to say the least.
    I had a #1 in 45-70 and yep, full power loads will introduce you the the laws of physics and equal/opposite reactions.

Oddly enough, after i sold that rifle i regretted it and wanted another 45-70. I ended up with a Thompson Encore Katahdin Carbine. That thing is 2 pounds lighter than the #1. Even moderate loads will emphatically indicate the primer functioned (as you said it).

Boolit Buddy
    So you are done with shooting Dinosaurs, I know they are not pistol calibres but what about one of the English rook calibres, very accurate, no recoil, I have 3 they are great fun to shoot.

I've already been through cannon mode. Just as I was getting out Ohio got rifle season and I got pulled back in. I have 4 no. 3 Rugers, .223-45/70 & 2 in 375Win. Big calibres are fun but if I was to
    have a 223 rebarreled I might go .30 carbine or 9mm. I don't own any but I wouldn't mind having a
    small game rifle in 25-30 or 32 caliber. Not in a HV type catridge. A 327mg is interesting as it could be used from 32S&W through 327mg. I don't know if extractors would work.

Boolit Buddy
    On a .223 No.3 I think I would re-barrel it with a .25-45 Sharps. I could use the plentiful .223/.556 brass. Also could cast 60 gr. to 85 gr. cast for economy. I don't see too many .25-45 Sharps single shots around this neck of the woods.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post
    What extractor did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I used the 30-30 W ejector.

Boolit Master

I to have a #3 45-70 and am tired of the recoil. Even with 385gr boolits it hurts. Soooo what to do? I already have RB's in 7mm. 7-30 waters. 30-30, 7.92x33 Kruz. Will the extractor work on a 357 mag cartridge as well? If chambered to the max cartridge will leading occur if using the regular 357 mag cartridge?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by augercreek View Post
    I to have a #3 45-70 and am tired of the recoil. Even with 385gr boolits it hurts. Soooo what to do? I already have RB's in 7mm. 7-30 waters. 30-30, 7.92x33 Kruz. Will the extractor work on a 357 mag cartridge as well? If chambered to the max cartridge will leading occur if using the regular 357 mag cartridge?
    maybe stay with the .45-70 - use a lighter lee 340 grain cast bullet, 22 to 25 grains of aa5744, and put on a kick killer butt pad. if you can add lead in the butt stock, so much the better. the results are light recoil, good accuracy at least out to 200 yards.

Boolit Master

Just try some Trapdoor loads from the Lyman manual. That is what I did with mine and recoil with a 405gr boolit wasn't bad and I took one deer with it, he couldn't tell the difference. Kind of a shame to alter a #3 when you can't get them anymore. I had 2 and let them go and regret it.

Bob

I've had several original Trapdoors & RBs as well as some rebarrels in 45/70. I shot a lot of cast Ideal
    322gr Gould Express HPs at 1200fps. It was a pleasant target load. It also did well in Marlin 1895.

Boolit Bub
    fn1889m: what is it that you want the No. 3 with a new cartridge to do for you?

In 1982 (No. 3's were common back then, though not today) I had 2 No. 3's in .223 re-bored by P.O. Ackley's shop to .257 Roberts (this will do what a .25-45 Sharps will do, and more, just saying), used it for caribou, deer, varmints and general cast plinkin'. Recoil's comfortable and the .257 Roberts handles several applications. Your mention of a 7x57mm would be pretty nice also.

In 2005 had a No. 3 .223 barrel re-bored to .308 Win with a 1-11" twist. When I got that No. 3 it had left the factory as a .22 Hornet and someone had the chamber opened up with a .284 Win reamer, making it a .22-284. Had a spare No. 3 .223 barrel so had it re-bored to .308 Win by Cut Rifle in Prescott, AZ. Now as a .308 No. 3 it is an excellent performer with cast and them other kinda commercial bullets. .308 Win can be loaded light or heavy, take your pick.

I see some folks have mentioned the .357 Maximum as a consideration - splendid round, able to fire .38 Spcl. thru .357 Max.

Have 2 No. 3's in .30-40 Krag and that's a fine round also, with either cast or them commercial metal bullets. One I've used over the years, other unfired since leaving factory. No. 3's are fine carbines.

What is your intended use for your re-barreled No. 3?
    A plinker, a hunter, long range, varmint, woods loafin' hiking carbine, or ?
    Curious minds would like to know!!
    Once we know, we'll be able to help ya get in trouble a lot easier!!

If you're still seeking a place to do No. 3 barrel work, they did my No. 3 in .308 Win.
    http://www.cutrifle.com/
    Last edited by outsidebear; 01-02-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Extractors from a Ruger No. 1 should drop right in to a No. 3, no real difference in the basic action...

Boolit Bub
    38-55, would be super cool

I've shot most of the British Africa/India safari cartridges in full kill an elephant or cape buffalo loadings and I am not sure any of them whacked me as hard as a buddy's full house 45-70 loads in a #3. Two rounds with the #3 and I was done. 416 Rigby or 470 N.E. didn't hurt as much as that Ruger #3 did. 38-55 would be a great cartridge. You can load it down to pistol plinker loads or up to deer/Midwest bear load.

Boolit Grand Master
    What's your end use goal? Choosing a caliber mainly depends on that. Everybody has a dream, and any of the above (except the rimless) would seem to be good. .357 in a single shot would be my choice right now.

RugerNo. 3

The original goal was a hunting rifle in 7 mm Mauser or 6.5 Swede.

But lately I have been leaning towards a vintage or pistol cartridge for plinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

Not a #3 but this Martini is in 7MM Waters and shoots a ragged hole at 100yd. Light on recoil and deadly out to 200yd (the farthest I've shot it). The 38-55 or .375 would also make a nice gun.
    The stock wood and butt plate on the #3 are not conducive to a hard recoiling rifle for sure. #1 wood, would probably work better for that.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small frame Martini 001.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I had a No 3 in 30/40 and recoil was brutal, sold it years ago before I got into casting for rifles. Wish now I had kept it. Found another that was rechambered to 30/40 AI that had been restocked with a somewhat European style stock at a good price as it was somewhat abused but the bore was perfect. The different butt stock with a 1" pad and moderate cast loads makes it very pleasant to shoot. Even heavy jacketed hunting loads are bearable for the few I shoot for deer hunting.

Boolit Master
    I wish Ruger would reintroduce them at a reasonable price.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?