WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a .357 revolver

Boolit Buddy
    Great info guys. I appreciate the feedback. I'll clarify some stuff for some of ya'll.

I want a .357 vs a .38 because with a .357 I can have both. A .38 spl target plinker or a house gun in .357 for those bad-guys who think their man enough to break in my home.

I really like Ruger, beefy guns. I had a GP100 that I paid $357 for it about 20 years ago...wish I hadn't sold it.

I really like this Uberti 1873 CATTLEMAN BIRD’S HEAD w/ a 4" barrel: http://www.uberti.com/firearms/stall..._bird_head.php

Anyone ever shoot any of those? It's marketed by Cimarron Firearms in the USA. A fella' I met at the local gun store owns 2 (was carrying one the day I met him) and the store had one of these in stock for $450.

I won't be using for a self-defense weapon - I trust my Sig P226 or my XD-40 to do that for me.

I'll be shooting some real light loads BTW. I feel it's a toss up between a Blackhawk, GP-100, or that Uberti Cattleman w/ Bird's Head grip.

Thanks again guys. BTW -

If you like Rugers, and like the Uberti, you might like the New Vaquero Ruger. It is the same size as the Colts, and handles quite well.

Boolit Grand Master
    All three revolvers you mention will be fine for the light load work you specify. I would choose the one that feels best in your hand for the shooting activity you plan for it.

The only element I would add......no single handgun platform on earth does as many things as well as a high-quality double action 357 Magnum revolver with 4"-5" barrel.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Hello.
    My first 357 revolver was a 4" stainless GP 100. I sold it when I married and needed money . Since this time I have had 8 357 and have kept only 2 : a S&W 5" 27-2 (the love affair) and a 6,5" stainless blackhawk that I dressed up with stag grips. These are very accurate revolvers and keepers but I sometimes regret my GP 100

Boolit Buddy

.357s

Just a few notes on the .357: I approach firearms, at least in large measure, from a survival and viability perspective. I want it to work every time, I want it to be fairly easily repairable (by myself) and I want it to digest reasonably common ammo I can load and find components for.

Yes, I do hunt and engage in recreational shooting, but only with weapons meeting the above criterion.

In all of these respects, the .357 shines and the Ruger GP-100 more so than most.

I'm actually more of a 1911 man, but have no trouble admitting that the .357 is the most versatile handgun caliber on the planet. Snakeshot? .38 S&W? .38 Spl.? .357? A .357 Magnum revolver will digest them all easily, as well as several other less common obsolescent cartridges. Components? There will be .357 and .38 components mouldering away in forgotten basements and cupboards long after your great, great grandkids have met their maker.

The .38/.357, much like the 30-06 and .45acp, has a history of being one of the most popular cartridges in North America for the better part of a century. That legacy doesn't disappear quickly in a country this large and much like Coke bottles and Ford parts, you can be sure that .357 components will be around for a long, long time. The newer semi stuff? Less certain...

The OP isn't concerned about defensive use, but it still bears observing that the ancient .357 consistently rates as one of the most effective fight stoppers. Though not my personal choice for wild pigs or deer, the .357 continues to do very respectable duty in filling the freezer across the country.

If I were reduced to the awful choice of having only one handgun to "do everything," AND be able to fix it, it would have to be my GP-100.

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    Just a few notes on the .357: I approach firearms, at least in large measure, from a survival and viability perspective. I want it to work every time, I want it to be fairly easily repairable (by myself) and I want it to digest reasonably common ammo I can load and find components for.

If you wanted to speak strictly of a survival situation I would think the 357/9mm Blackhawk would be a winner. After all when compared to the .357 what handgun cartridge would likely be as popular and available than the 9mm.

Boolit Buddy

No argument!

Quote Originally Posted by jack19512 View Post
    If you wanted to speak strictly of a survival situation I would think the 357/9mm Blackhawk would be a winner. After all when compared to the .357 what handgun cartridge would likely be as popular and available than the 9mm.
    Jack,

You certainly get no argument from me on that score! The Blackhawks are fine choices too and I wouldn't argue against the convertible cylinder set up.

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Master

I have been reduced to owning but one firearm twice in my life. Both times it was finances. If it were to happen again I would select my 2.5 inch Smith 686. It is very difficult for one firearm to do it all, but that one comes as close to any as far as I can tell.

Extremley accurate, easy on powder and lead yet still powerful enough to do the work needed. Easy to conceal, and that is very important to me.

Mine runs 105 grain wadcutters to 218 grain Keiths just fine.

The .45 ACP & .45 Colt are both wonderful in a sixgun, but they are of course much bigger than the 686. Tough to choose, but I still think the .357 wins out.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

A lot depends on what fits you. I had an S&W model 28 that was a dandy except for the fact that I could never shoot it for beans (not the gun's fault, just didn't fit me). Sold the Smith to a guy that still loves it and bought a Blackhawk. I could make the argument that the Smith was a better gun, I guess. The difference was, I could shoot the Blackhawk.

Almost forgot. My Blackhawk had the 9MM cylinder. This was in the early 70's. I think I shot a whole box of 9's through it, shrugged, and dropped the cylinder back into its velvet pouch. I wasn't impressed.
    Last edited by Ghugly; 12-08-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: added text

Boolit Buddy
    just outside Sulphur Springs in north east Texas
    I love the 357 have had at least one of them the last 40 years.I to at one time was reduced to one 357 it was a md19 2.5 in,it will do it all at close range,and sometimes amazed folks at longer range.I have had just about all of makes and md. at some point or another.But I like the k frames best,have 4,a 6in 19 a 4 in 19 and of course the old 2.5 in.My newest is a 4 in md.66 I love it as someone said it's even dishwasher safe.Most of my shooting has been 158 gr.cast at about 1200 fps.They kill deer pigs coyots pets and pest.I even shot a 700 lb.steer that jumped the fence at the wrong place landed an a t post it was stuck in the shoulder all the way it was running around with the t post sticking out top and bottem.A 158 gr lee TL cast went all the way through both shoulders.Went down at the shot,and was dead when I walked up to him.
    I keep a blackhawk with the 9 mm cylinder,never shot the 9mm.
    The last 2 years been playing with the 44 mag again,I injoy my md29 but it is too big a gun to have handy.
    In my book the 357 is a must have.The right size to carry in overalls,and have handy everday,eought power for my part of the world.Easy to load for,just right.
    God is good all the time

Boolit Master
    At one time, I bought a 686 with a four-inch barrel, I had a chance to buy a 2.5 incher. Wish I had, I sold the four-inch model. Would probably still have the 2.5 inch model. I now have a 686 with a five-inch barrel, but it would not do well for concealment. A Smith K or L frame with a 2.5 inch barrel makes a good case for the one firearm option.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Banned
    For the money you quoted I myself would go find a used Dan Wesson (monson mass)model 15 or 715 pistol pack and never look back....how many of the others listed can give you 4 or 5 barrel length options in a revolver that is super slick super accurate adjustable for cylinder gap and super friendly to all of your whims in barrel length.?

Boolit Buddy

357 or 38

Blackwolf,

Others have said don't overlook used Ruger Security Six (or other 6 series). That is darned good advice. They can be had for around $300 if you watch carefully. That leaves you a bunch of cash for powder and primers.

I have a vaquero, a 6" security six, and a couple other 357's. I also have a Smith 67 in 38 special. The .38 special smith gets the nod most of the time. You might look hard at a 38 special. Used Smiths can be had for very reasonable prices in 38 special.

I'm not knocking ruger. I own them and love them. If I had only one sidearm it would be the 6" security six (boy wouldn't it be great to have a 5" version). I'm also not knocking the 357mag, I just don't shoot mag ammunition that much. In fact, I can do most everything I want with the 38 special case and a 358156 boolit.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a double action ruger or smith&wesson. They are just plain reliable pistolas. Can't beat a good double action medium frame revolver for general use.

-john

Ruger junkie here. I love the GP100, SP101 and the SA's

Just sold off a Bisley Vaquero that I will probably regret selling in a month or two.

What you get will have a lot with what you are going to do with it. If there is any chance it will be used for self defence I would steer clear of a SA for legal headache reasons.

The GP100 is hell for tough BUT the three screw and "New Model" Blackhawks are built on .44Mag frame and cylinders, the GP100 is not(compair the two side by side, the BH is noticably thicker in wall thickness between chambers). Please do not confuse the NEW MODEL BH with the ANIVERSERY(sp) BH and the new flat top, the latter are built on a smaller SAA sized frame and are targeted for the CAS guys that shoot powder puff rounds.

I routinly shoot a 180gr round that sits on top of 16.5gr of H110 from my BH. I have not clocked it from the pistol but out of a 1894CP it leaved the barrel at 1870fps. A lesser pistol would kaboom.
    Yes, I know it's cocked, It's got bullets too.

If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    If there is any chance it will be used for self defence I would steer clear of a SA for legal headache reasons.

I'm curious, why would you have more legal issues involved with a SA than a DA?

I have a taurus,5 rugers, and 3 smiths in that cal. All are great performers. The rugers are my favorite.I had a security six and it was an incredible gun. The rugers are the most for the money though. I personally dont like to buy used guns......I have.......but I try to stay away from it unless I know the person and the guns history. Good luck. There are few things more fun than looking for a gun and actually having the cash to get it!

Boolit Master

Anybody????

Boolit Master
    Jack, only thing I can come up with might be if you were to be brought up on charges, the firing of a sa might show somewhat of a "premeditation" to a degree rather than using a da in da mode. Just a thought, don't know if this is the thought though.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    Jack, only thing I can come up with might be if you were to be brought up on charges, the firing of a sa might show somewhat of a "premeditation" to a degree rather than using a da in da mode. Just a thought, don't know if this is the thought though.
    DING DING DING

Anti gun zellot prosecutors and cival liability lawyers look for "cowboys" with the premeditation of of thumb cocking a pistol. Much the same advice is given about using handloads for self defence
    Yes, I know it's cocked, It's got bullets too.

If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    DING DING DING

Anti gun zellot prosecutors and cival liability lawyers look for "cowboys" with the premeditation of of thumb cocking a pistol.

First time I ever heard this. I have always used my DA revolvers for the most part the same way, thumb cocking the revolver. I guess if I ever have to use any of my DA revolvers for protection against the two legged kind I had better remember not to use SA. Maybe I had better have witnesses that will testify on my behalf that I used DA only and at no time did I touch the hammer.