WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gander mountian beware

Boolit Master

gander mountian beware

about a 60 day ago i bought a pistol from a friend , we went to gander mountian to transfer ownership on a sunday, thats when i meet him at the range to shoot we live about 25 miles apart . they wanted $ 40.00 for the transfer which i thought was high. last sunday i bought another pistol from the same friend on sunday and we went to gander mountian again they rased ther transfer fee to $ 75.00 , gander mountian has lost my business forever , on monday he came to where i live and a local gun shop did the transfer for $15.00 , i gave him a $20.00 and said keep it

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You transfer through a dealer on a private sale? Not in my life!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

That's the law in California, and probably some other states too, Ric.
    Bobthenailer, You know how inflation gets started? Someone tells a merchant his price is too low or leaves a big tip. Next guy that goes in there to do a transfer gets "nailed" for $20 or $25 because you let him know his price was too low. That can really hurt the financially challenged people who can't afford the upscale prices. Keep the faith.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You transfer through a dealer on a private sale? Not in my life!
    It is state law in PA for handguns.

Bob, what county are you in? Mercer here...

Boolit Master

i usually only get some gunsmithing done that i cant do myself but i have never bought a gun there and only a few ods & ends . he has excellent prices on used reloading equipment, and the gunsmithing is done fast and at reasonable cost , and for gunsmithing i allways tip him
    it is the law in pa to transfer handgun ownership
    i live in washington county

Boolit Master

as for infaltion ive gotten more tips at work when the labor rate was $50 vers $80 dollars per hour labor rate . and no ! i dont make $ 80 an hour on my end

I've never tipped a gunsmith. I figured he'd bill me for what his effort was worth, he's not a cocktail waitress working for tips....

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We did recieve tips occassionaly in the gun shop. I did notice,the tipper generally got faster service in the future!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    I've never tipped a gunsmith. I figured he'd bill me for what his effort was worth, he's not a cocktail waitress working for tips....
    me either.
    he is already billing me for what he considers the market will bear.

Boolit Master

well i guess you work in a profession where you dont get tips . well i do ! and if someone gives me good to excellent service i tip them , and yes it does come back to you the next time !
    but then some people expect it no matter what kind of service you get from them!

Let's see, some guy comes in who has done something stupid, he needs repaired. Ok, did that, here's your fixed mess, where's my money?
    Next guy comes in, who has done something stupid, he needs repaired . Ok, fixed that, here's the fixed mess, where's my money? Oh! So, you give a bottle of 12 year old scotch in appreciation of having it done right? Please, break something else, and come back soon!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Let's see, some guy comes in who has done something stupid, he needs repaired. Ok, did that, here's your fixed mess, where's my money?
    Next guy comes in, who has done something stupid, he needs repaired . Ok, fixed that, here's the fixed mess, where's my money? Oh! So, you give a bottle of 12 year old scotch in appreciation of having it done right? Please, break something else, and come back soon!
    My thoughts exactly! I do a lot of work for friends and for their friends. I get paid from those I don't know but not from my close friends because I am retired and do it for fun now. But a bottle is icing on the cake.
    As far as Gander Mountain, I stay away from there. We bought some shot and powder from them once, that was enough. I was looking at CCI .22 shells, blew my mind, thought they were selling .300 Weatherby rounds! I have never seen prices so inflated in my life.
    They used to be a good outfit long ago when they just sold by catalog, but they are out to get rich fast now.

Call it whatever you like but it is inflationary, it raises the bar for the next customer and raises the morality question of "Do I do as good (or as quick) a job for a poor man as for a rich one?" I was taught that you do your best whether the pay was $2 an hour or $10. And back to my original premise, paying more than the seller asks is inflationary and causes prices to be raised and pushes the poor man out of the market. Now your gunsmith or merchant has raised his prices to the point that he loses, say the lower 50% of his business which was profitable also, and the remaining upper 50% cannot sustain his business, so he has to raise prices again.. Maybe he grosses the same amount of money on half as many jobs and has more time off. I'm sure he thinks that's great but a lot of shooters cannot afford to hire a gunsmith at that level. You have noticed that we have less shooters and less gunsmiths than we had 30 years ago? Not pounding on you, Bob, this sort of thing has been going on in our whole economy and the results are becoming fairly obvious.

Boolit Master
    Gander Mountain, Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabela's have lost it. I could care less if the store has a freakin' museum in in. I mail order everything I need, or go to a local place. I'm lucky there is a couple local guys here that have good prices on powder and/or primers. They don't have African Safari scenes or trophy fish on the wall, but they do have good prices and less overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    I'm lucky there is a couple local guys here that have good prices on powder and/or primers.
    Individuals or shops? In or near Paw Paw? I usually stop at On Target when I'm in K'zoo for the gun shows at the fairgrounds and I'm always looking for new places to check out . Wouldn't be much of a detour to go through Paw Paw on the way back to South Bend .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderpacker View Post
    Individuals or shops? In or near Paw Paw? I usually stop at On Target when I'm in K'zoo for the gun shows at the fairgrounds and I'm always looking for new places to check out . Wouldn't be much of a detour to go through Paw Paw on the way back to South Bend .
    Schanz Suppy in Otsego, exit 49 off 131. Good to great supply of powder, primers, shot and guns, much better prices than on target and better selection as far as powder and primers are concerned. It is west of 131 maybe 5 miles at most on M-89.

Boolit Master

i started this post to point out gander mountians over gouging for a transfer and its turned into a tipping fest !

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    Schanz Suppy in Otsego, exit 49 off 131. Good to great supply of powder, primers, shot and guns, much better prices than on target and better selection as far as powder and primers are concerned. It is west of 131 maybe 5 miles at most on M-89.
    Thank you much !
    Appoligies to bobthenailer for the mini hijack.

Boolit Master
    bill for drilling and tapping 1 hole.

$35.00

am i going to tip?
    you be the judge...

Banned

I would tip! Tip them on their heads!