MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break-free CLP

Boolit Master

Break-free CLP

Joe, figgered we'd get this topic off the 8mm thread before we get our collctive arses kicked for hijacking. I'm gonna back peddle just a little on my earlier comment about it being 'crap'. It's not really and it does a good job in many instances, especially in the field for small arms, making it easier for the troops to keep their bullet launchers functioning. I won't change my mind about the cost however. There are so many other good and cheaper products. That said, if I had a gallon of CLP I'd use it, but I won't shell out denero for it. Did a google and found some interesting reading. If I never put another drop of it on a patch I wouldn't miss it. I remember when the stuff first hit the company supply and all the hype that came with it. The spray bottle was really good for application directly into receiver and bolts and carriers on automatic weapons to keep them functioning. Soak'em down and squeeze the trigger. Not exactly how I treat some of my better firearms. sundog

Banned
    sundog,

Now we're on the same level pardner. I agree totally with it's expensive, too expensive. The M16 certainly had problems when first introduced, but alot of the problems where caused by the govt. Like to get it issued as fast as possible. The thing there was the troops where trained how to use it of course, but not how to maintain and clean it. Like I said before at first it wasn't issued with a cleaning book or tools. The govt told the soldiers it was a new wonder weapon, didn't need cleaned as often as previous weapons. Well they found out they were wrong, very wrong. So what do they go and do? They come out with CLP. You and I know gooping up your rilfe with this slick owl **** isn't the right thing to do. As an aside the military was given numerous opportunities to convert the M16 over to piston gas system and the constantly rejected it. It was reliable, definately kept the powder residues out of the action, the action stayed cleaner and cooler. Another benefit was the cycling rate came down to a more reasonable one.

Back on topic. I only use CLP of any brand to for example lube the slide rails on my semi-auto pistons, a drop on the sears, drop on barrel bushings, and after cleaning my AR 15 a drop on the bolt gas piston and rings and bolt rails. That's it, I have no other use for it. I'm just about out and don't know if I'll ever buy more.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

I got to be a big fan of CLP after a friend from the Navy dropped off a 5 gallon container. When that is all gone I will start shopping for something else.

Banned
    Wow, sure wouldn't be hard to become a fan of a five gallon bucket of anything useful. How long you think it's been taking you to use that all up?

Joe

Boolit Grand Master
    I came by CLP like KCSO did--about a 1/2 gallon plastic bottle with Mil Spec labeling, the given amount to be used for cleaning the bore of a 105mm field piece of some kind. That was 7 years ago, and I'm about 1/2 finished with it.

It's OK stuff for cleaning powder fouling, and will turn copper a little green in the same SLOWWWWWWWW fashion as Hoppe's. It's all right for slide rails on auto pistols, but I like RIG +P a lot better--esp. if it's steel slide on aluminum rails.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Personally, I thing most of our gun care products are little better than plain ol' kerosene or diesel fuel. Most don't do as claimed. There oughta be a law against false advertising. If I had all the money I've spent on junk that was advertised falsely I'd have a bigger selecion of guns.

Banned
    lovedog,

I think one of the biggest lies in advertising is the one where they claim there product is so good that if you don't they give you your money back gauranteed. Well shoot, that's the stupidiest easiest thing to see through. They don't lose anything. Here's how the lawyers should fix that dump advertise. Gauranteed to work or $5000 back!!!! Yup, then let's see how many of them stand behind their product. Then they would have something to lose. In my opinion ads are made for folks with room temperature IQ's.

Joe

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The most serious of lifes shooting problems can be solved with three homemade things. Ed's Red. Blue Goop. And of course, Felix' World Famous Lube!

Boolit Grand Master

waksupi;
    I am a "Ed's Red" fan, also. I mixed up a gallon several years ago. Cost $8.00 (less the lanolin) and as the English say, "Works a treat"! I shot BPCR-Silhouette for about 15 years (until I could no longer be competitive because of vision problems). "Friendship Speed Juice" another home mix product (one pint each of: Murphy's Oil Soap, Rubbing Alcohol, and Hydrogen Peroxide) on two or three wet patches and a couple of dry patches totally removed the black powder fouling. I then ran a wet patch of Ed's Red through the bore and used the patch to wipe off the exterior. My three BPCR's are in like new shape after thousands of rounds through them.

Incidentally, muzzle loaders work well with both products, also. After a BP match, I would plug the touch hole or nipple and fill the barrel with Speed Juice and let set for 10 minutes while I was getting my gear together. Then I would pump a wet patch up and down (blew out the fire channel with Speed Juice). Then a couple of dry patches (would blow the fire channel clear and the rubbing alcohol would cause the residue to almost immediately evaporate). Then a wet patch of Ed's Red and I was good to go (used the wet patch to wip e off the exterior). I would then remove the nipple (this allows air to circulate through the bore). One drop of oil in the nipple (kept it in an empty cap box). When I got home I no gun to clean. No long "bucket of water" etc, when already tired. It was a great liberator. Takes ALL of the pain out of using black powder and the cost is minimal.

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 02-07-2006 at 02:25 AM.

I'll bite....

waksupi, what is Blue Goop? Tony

AnthonyB-----What is blue goop? It is goop that is in bad need of the services of Dr Phil.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Dale, thanks very much for the recipe for "Friendship Speed Juice". I've been looking for it for awhile.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB
    waksupi, what is Blue Goop? Tony
    Tony, Blue Goop is an old stand by of benchrest shooters. Get a gallon of strong (5%) ammonia. Put a piece of copper wire in it, until it turns a nice blue. Not really sure what adding the copper does, but that is the way it is made. It is excellent for removing copper jacket fouling. As with any ammonia based cleaner, don't leave it in the bore too long, and oil after use. For under five bucks, you have a gallon of bore cleaner that does everything the store bought stuff does.

For you guys using the Friendship mixture with peroxide. If you are using it in a ML, be prepared to pull your breechplug about once a year, and check the threads. It is a very good oxidizer, and likes to eat threads.

Smile

I use the ammonia straight, without pre-bluing it with copper wire. It turns blue nicely all by itself as it takes the copper out of your bore. Great stuff, and as an added benefit the water in it dissolves corrosive primer residue.

I just bought something as an aid to doing this. It works well to let it stand for a few minutes with the bore poured full of it. I've used various things to plug the bore, and was about to go out looking for rubber caps to slip over the muzzle. I saw a tip over at the Savageshooters forum to use crutch tips from the Wal-Mart pharmacy. Went looking and found that the big crutch tips are to slip over a 7/8" end (perfect for my varminter's heavy barrel) and the quad cane tips (that come 4/pack for $3.84) are for a 5/8" rod, perfect for most sporter and milsurp muzzles. Looking around further in hardware, I substituted 7/8" rubber chair tips for the big crutch tips. 98ยข as opposed to $3.29, I think. Wal-Mart didn't have anything comparably cheap in the 5/8" size, so I kept the quad cane tips. Might have to look around the car parts places for rubber caps for vacuum nipples, and cruise around Lowe's' plumbing section while at it.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Grand Master

Waksupi;
    I had occasion to pull the breechplug on my muzzleloader after several years of Friendship speed juice. It still had the original bluing in the fire channel!! There was absolutely NO rust or corrosion. I know at least 200 shooters in this part of the country who have been using the product without ANY problems. You DO have to oil the bore right after you use it as it removes EVERYTHING and there is nothing to protect the bore. When you run a couple of dry patches down the bore (I pump them) air is blown out the nipple and takes the moisture with it. The rubbing alcohol evaporates the solution off quickly. The I run a couple of wet patches (with Ed's Red) down the bore (pump them too).

One thing I learned at that "Ol' Crawdad Hole" Friendship (the most humid place I can remember being in (not counting down south) is to leave the nipple out of the gun. Air can circulate thru the barrel freely and it is not so apt to trap moisture inside.

One thing I neglected to mention, you do have to keep the mixture in a dark bottle. Otherwise the peroxide "dies". I use the first bottle for my mix, keeping the rest in a dark place, then over time, I collect additional bottles.

FWIW, I had Bill Knight, the black powder consultant and organic chemist, run tests on the mixture. He pronounced it completely safe for use as described. Bill has forgotten more about black powder than most of us will ever know.

Another suggestion, use "Never Seize" on your breech plug threads. It makes it MUCH easier to remove if you ever have to do so.

Dale53

Water is an oxidant, also.

Smile

Oops! Forget the chair tips. They're not elastic and undersized like the crutch tips. They're made of some sort of fairly hard plastic or rubber and won't seal. Stick with the crutch tips. Back to Wal-Mart I go.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

My self being just a ***, but I love CLP

I used it alot in the Marines, and it worked great.

SO now I use it for my Glock 30, my 2 30/30s and my 7mm.

I even love the smell, but Hoppes smell is better.

Clint
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master
    I overlooked the most important element of both CLP and Hoppe's--THE AROMA. There's nothing like those two smells to keep wife and evil daughters out of the reloading sanctum. Wife will use Hoppe's, but wears exam gloves and a full-front shop apron she bought from Brownell's for this purpose.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Drat. It's late, I'm tired. Sorry ta be a pest, but can anyone post the link to the formula for Ed's Red??? I'm pretty sure I saw it here, gettin more interested by the day, and don't remember where I saw it??? Thanks in advance.........Lee

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Heck,it seems like there are as many links to Eds Red recipes as for pancakes!

Have a look! Ed's Red
    Last edited by 45nut; 03-07-2006 at 02:30 AM.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com